THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to sign TE Austin Hooper

Zombo

I did not see this one coming...

Powerful potential as a receiving duo...

Blocking? Not so much...

2019 PFF Grades for Hooper... Receiving: 80.5 :).... Pass Blocking: 65.0 :unsure:..... Run Blocking: 56.2... :(

On the positive side, this draft is paper thin for TEs; if they wanted a major upgrade there FA/trade was the way to go. Now they can load up on OL and DL (and LB, it seems) in the draft. Hooper can go a long ways to improving Baker's production. I know he's not a good blocker, but they need passing weapons more than run blocking from a TE. Now opponents have one more thing to worry about. 

Image result for austin hooper

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I did not see this one coming...

Powerful potential as a receiving duo...

Blocking? Not so much...

2019 PFF Grades for Hooper... Receiving: 80.5 :).... Pass Blocking: 65.0 :unsure:..... Run Blocking: 56.2... :(

This was what l wondered about when l saw the blip. How well does he block? I guess it’s mixed results. Probably means there’s still room for a primary blocking TE or two on the roster. 

"Though Hooper says his options are open"

^ Don't like that he publicly says that while the Browns are announcing they've agreed to terms - You have either agreed or not, so one of the two parties involved in the deal are misinterpreting said "agreement".

If I just agreed to be the highest paid TE, I'd shout it from the largest Twitter shaped tree, yet this dude goes full 180°..... great 1st impression there buttercup

56 minutes ago, ATOM said:

do we have a blocking t.e  ?

No.... but blocking is more about "want to". So if Stef can convince them they want to, then Callahan can sure as hell show them how.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

No.... but blocking is more about "want to". So if Stef can convince them they want to, then Callahan can sure as hell show them how.

And, to be honest, if you want a "blocking TE"  in there, hell, just put an extra lineman out there.....they can block, and still theoretically be eligible to catch a pass as long as they report.   Just wondering who would fill that role. 

There was an NFL team this past year that like did that  on about a fourth or a third of their plays.  Can't remember which one. 

I think Hooper is a solid TE but this is just too much money. We dont need playmakers on offense just people who do their jobs. We would have been better bringing back fells at a fraction of the price. 

On a side note I would like to see us bring back Boddy-Calhoun and Nassib too for cheap role playing positions. I liked those guys alot

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I think Hooper is a solid TE but this is just too much money. We dont need playmakers on offense just people who do their jobs. We would have been better bringing back fells at a fraction of the price.   SHOVE IT!

On a side note I would like to see us bring back Boddy-Calhoun and Nassib too for cheap role playing positions. I liked those guys alot  LOVE IT! 

too much money vs. cheap money.... it's all burnt the same falling out of Haslams Browns bank... Hooper has all the tools & now Njoku has a position guy to push his as$.. Line'em up & give it a chance first...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

too much money vs. cheap money.... it's all burnt the same falling out of Haslams Browns bank... Hooper has all the tools & now Njoku has a position guy to push his as$.. Line'em up & give it a chance first...

Its about salary cap management not saving jimmy a few bucks. I just think we could have used that money better. 

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Its about salary cap management not saving jimmy a few bucks. I just think we could have used that money better. 

Yes it's always about cap management in professional sports.      We have to see what the new plan is, we haven't even got to the draft yet.  

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=browns+news

Austin Hooper can’t fix everything for the Cleveland Browns, but he can heal these tight end scars

See article on: www.cleveland.com
By Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com
14 hrs ago

22 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Love this move.

You give a young QB a TE that can CATCH the ball.  And he’s a football player. Not an athlete trying to play football. 

Just about anyone should love this move. Hooper had 75 catches in 13 games. Is Hooper also considered an athlete trying to play football? Or is he un-athletic? Or something?

Sounds like you are not a fan of Njoku? The athlete who spent last season on the sideline due to an errant throw from the young QB.... 

Stefanski led the league with 2 TE sets at 57%. The offense, when healthy, should be prolific. As long as Baker has some time to throw.

5 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

With $18.5mm of the guaranteed money (totaling $23mm) payable at signing the proposed contract is cap friendly.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There is no cap in baseball. 

They have a "beanie"... a threshold over which there is a "luxury tax" penalty.

The luxury tax is sent to the violating team in a "bill".

Add a bill to a beanie and what do you have?

A cap...

Q.E.D.

5 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Just about anyone should love this move. Hooper had 75 catches in 13 games.

Not loving the 13 games... especially in the first season when he was a full-time starter???

This is weird... until last season Hoop did not start over half of the games in any season?

image.png.3c0d43ca0e155531f680d1c7964c25ee.png

6 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Just about anyone should love this move. Hooper had 75 catches in 13 games. Is Hooper also considered an athlete trying to play football? Or is he un-athletic? Or something?

Sounds like you are not a fan of Njoku? The athlete who spent last season on the sideline due to an errant throw from the young QB.... 

Stefanski led the league with 2 TE sets at 57%. The offense, when healthy, should be prolific. As long as Baker has some time to throw.

Hooper had one drop last year! 
Yes he’s more of a football player.  Not plagued by drops, penalties and missed assignments. 

Njoku good red zone guy, good for a drop, missed block and a penalty seemingly every game he’s healthy