THE BROWNS BOARD

Grocery shopping/updates/86’d

hammertime

Let’s try a bipartisan thread on where you shop and what is depleted.

i for one went to GFS and Giant Eagle and they had plenty of water. But both were out of milk and fresh poultry???

Large bottles of Rum were gonna as was woodford reserve lol(they did have the double oaked)

oh yeah bread shelves were almost bare.

I went to a local IGA they had plenty of meat, they were low on bread, milk, rice and pasta.  

They were out of TP,, hand soap, hand sanitizer and Kleenex not sure on the water because I had gotten two cases they has on sale 2/$6  at Giant Eagle.

Acme had only Acme bread, the rest of the isle was empty - plenty of eggs and milk.

some toilet paper, canned veggies were getting low....

Interesting - how few cars are on the road.

I went online to Amazon prime pantry last Thursday and was shocked how low they were on many favorite and common items. NO cans of tuna fish, out of several kinds of salad dressing, out of some soups, on and on.  Plus forget hand sanitizer.

I did get some Complete dinners but not every one available or some limit 1 or 2.

It's a crazy world out there.......and Ohio just closed all bars and restaurants !

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I went online to Amazon prime pantry last Thursday and was shocked how low they were on many favorite and common items. NO cans of tuna fish, out of several kinds of salad dressing, out of some soups, on and on.  Plus forget hand sanitizer.

I did get some Complete dinners but not every one available or some limit 1 or 2.

It's a crazy world out there.......and Ohio just closed all bars and restaurants !

At 9pm.  And you can still get it delivered or takeout.

5 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

At 9pm.  And you can still get it delivered or takeout.

We stocked up on food this past weekend, have some food being delivered this week from Amazon prime pantry going to get the grill fired up and kick back and relax.

I will miss March madness and MLB however. Bummer.

7 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Right now gas prices are really low and I see no reason why we shouldn't have plentiful gas but I am still not taking any chances and I am going to keep my gas tank full.

yep. at 1.36 we went out and filled up 6 5-gallon gas cans. No rush, no line. But watch the frantic lines when someday we have pumps shut down all over.

WalMart here Friday, mid-afternoon was as busy as I've ever seen it. Of course, it was low on all paper goods... but including paper towels??? lol... any port in a storm, I guess.

Also out of hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial soft soaps, Clorox wipes and the Great Value ones two (which according to the wife are not acceptable). I did not notice the bleach stock...

Canned good aisles were wiped pretty clean. Restockers were throwing cut open boxes of canned stuff in the general location where they belonged.

There was at least one restocker working in each aisle.

All in all store was a mess.

Today WalMart announced its 24-hr stores were going to begin closing at nite for cleaning and restocking. Seems like a good move.

tomorrow we're going to call several neighbors to see if they are settled in, and have what they need.

Vinegar(s) come in handy, seriously. have some more fruit to dehydrate. Kiwi's dehydrate beautifully, so do mangoes.

apple slices... keeps in fridge for months and months, even on a shelf keeps for weeks/months depending. Have nice stock of flour, rice, tomato sauce, macaroni, tuna fish, in case we have to make our own bread.

I hope everybody here is fine and suffers no hardship and have what you and yours need to get by.

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

If you can find one...

Also don't forget the generator.

yep. solar power would be good. but I'm not buying this much equipment lol

https://apnews.com/355c96b2eebe575e42a2bb4dcdd2d7fc

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

I hope everybody here is fine and suffers no hardship and have what you and yours need to get by.

Ditto... although I don't see it getting desperately bad.

The Fed has taken the threat of a credit freeze up off the table. Could be illness related shortages here and there, but otherwise it's just going to be a few weeks of an "abundance of caution" "social distancing".

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Well, okay, I agree the pepperoni ones and maybe cheeseburger or meatball are at least the best of the bunch...

WSS

the trouble is, all those hot pockets have to be refrigerated. If the power goes off (corona catastrophe lol), you'd have to disperse all of them that day to neighbors and homeless people, after chowing down yourself.

Not if you'd spring for that generator... :)

Summer of '73 I did a bunch of odd jobs working for Manpower, Inc. Mostly it was dull, inventory-count stuff, but one of the more interesting jobs was driving all over the greater Cleveland area with a wad of cash buying grocery stores' entire stock of a couple kinds of Hot Pockets.

Had to get every one out in the display freezers plus what was in the back freezers. Checked out through the register like a normal, cash customer.

Once in the parking lot you trash-bagged them... threw them in the trunk... and went onto the next store on the list. Wash.... rinse... repeat.

Twice a day dropped by a U-Haul to drop of the purchases. By the end of that 2nd week that Uhaul was ripe...

Hot Pockets did not want the publicity of a normal recall... and was willing to pay the price.

To this day I've never eaten one.

Made a Sam's/WalMart run today...

First the good news... filled the gas tank with $1.75/gal gas.

WalMart

• Looked like a war zone. Empty shelves everywhere... canned goods, pasta, cereal were all wiped out. Freezer section was emptied of all veg's, dinners, etc.
  • Easier to list the things they had in decent supply... fresh veg aplenty except for potatoes(?), also plenty of dairy... so I guess hoarding stops with things that spoil... except that also had plenty of chips, soda so I'm guessing their supply chains are superior.

Side Story 1...

In general folks were laughing at the situation... one guy was videoing the cheese section which was wiped and thanked me for hanging back while he finished his sweep. I mustered my best accent and said, "Eff I vanted dis I vould have shtayed in Russia."

Yeah my accent sucked...

Sam's Club

• Hit and miss... mostly miss... in the freezer section for prepared foods, which I never buy, was wiped. Decent amount of fresh frozen fish... grabbed Ahi Tuma and Salmon. Fair amount of frozen veg... grabbed Broccoli.
  • Meat section was wiped... especially of poultry, but had rotisserie chickens so.... dinner. Most cheap meats were wiped, but did grab a pork butt. Fair amount of steak... especially ribeyes.. bought one pack. No bacon... some sausage... bakery was well stocked.

Side story 2...

Sam's puts three steaks in a package for all the cuts and had "Limit 1 per customer" posted. A woman needed five to feed her family that nite.

I'm thinking just do buy two. Her kid was asking a friend shopping with them to buy one.

The solution?

The woman asked a butcher to put 5 steaks in one package. Took a little persuading, but butcher did do it.

It was perfect...

Americans Are Crossing into Mexico To Buy Toilet Paper

By Chantal Da Silva On 3/18/20 at 10:58 AM EDT

Americans are reportedly crossing into Mexico to buy toilet paper and other household items as stores in the U.S. continue to struggle to meet demand from shoppers stocking up on supplies amid the coronavirus outbreak.

On Tuesday, local news broadcaster WKBN 27 News reported that Californians had been "flooding" into Northern Baja looking to buy toilet paper, water, and other items.

3 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Americans Are Crossing into Mexico To Buy Toilet Paper

By Chantal Da Silva On 3/18/20 at 10:58 AM EDT

Americans are reportedly crossing into Mexico to buy toilet paper and other household items as stores in the U.S. continue to struggle to meet demand from shoppers stocking up on supplies amid the coronavirus outbreak.

On Tuesday, local news broadcaster WKBN 27 News reported that Californians had been "flooding" into Northern Baja looking to buy toilet paper, water, and other items.

Not anymore, the border has been closed except for essential travel.

HEB Grocer throughout Texas has instituted a call in # for seniors age 60 and over where they just pick up curbside. They request a $10 tip to the runner who does the shopping. Operates 9am - 1pm 7 days a week.  1-833-397-0080

Wal-mart in Georgetown limits 1 of any item in short supply to include 1 gal milk plus 1 1/2 gal milk, 1 pack TP, 1 Bread, etc. Thus they have very few shortages from the panic hoarders. Smart policy.