THE BROWNS BOARD

Grocery shopping/updates/86’d

hammertime

one friend texted me - saying the online place she orders emergency food from...

is entirely sold out today.

and another friend told me that at Fin Feathers and Fur outdoors store, the entire rack of emergency

dried "backpacking" meals...was entirely sold out.

Next time we talk about prepping, I don't imagine we'll hear much "haha" in response.

Just got back from Giant Eagle.  No TP or hand sanitizer still.  Bought the last 2 small bags of cat litter.  Bread almost gone, flour also.  They had chicken today and potatos.  They had all night to restock so they must not have the items that weren't on the shelves.

• 2 weeks later...

Cautionary tale about Aldi Home Delivery...

Not sure how many of you have this odd little Grocery chain in your area... I went in one once. Need a quarter to release a cart... but get it back when you return the cart... different but not weird. Inside? Seems like selection was basically whatever was in surplus that week... weird.

But I digress...

Wife used their online system to place an order for home delivery. To paraphrase Seinfeld at the rental car kiosk, "Aldi knew how to take the order... they did not know how to fill the order."

Order was for over a dozen items... we received one... a bag of lemons.

With fees, delivery charge, etc.... total cost of that bag?

$17...

Contacted Aldi... awaiting response.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure how many of you have this odd little Grocery chain in your area... I went in one once. Need a quarter to release a cart... but get it back when you return the cart... different but not weird. Inside? Seems like selection was basically whatever was in surplus that week... weird.

But I digress...

Wife used their online system to place an order for home delivery. To paraphrase Seinfeld at the rental car kiosk, "Aldi knew how to take the order... they did not know how to fill the order."

$17...

We have an Aldi in our town. The quarter for the shopping cart is a great idea to keep the parking lot from being full of carts and having to have store employees taking care of it. This way carts get returned by shoppers. I am surprised more stores don't do this. 

23 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

But I digress...

$17...

It's a large German grocery chain.  They have them here also but I've never been there.  

6 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

It's a large German grocery chain.  They have them here also but I've never been there.  

I wen't to a Aldi once- wouldn't go back.  MHO is they're on the order of a Save-a-Lot, Dollar General,  and other grocers that feature off brand stuff for those who can only afford deep discounted foods. 

My latest foray to Kroger's today found no supplies of paper products, most soaps, and no hand sanitizers. Fortunately, I was well stocked on those items before the hoarding started. BTW, there was an article in the paper today about the truckers. One guy said he had to wait three hours inline to load up his rig with paper towels. So the manufacturing is cranked up full blast. But how much longer will the insane hoarding of those items last? I feel bad that the hoarders are stocked up, but those who aren't are literally shit out of luck finding any toilet paper now. 

Well actually- our one high end grocery does have the commercial TP you see- but you can only buy one roll at a time. Little wonder another article said plumbers are in high demand when those bozos started flushing paper towels, rags and socks. 

Recently the giant eagles in columbiana county have been stocked up with tp.  Smooth pb is not to be found..same with wipes...but i havent had any issues recently buying stuff.  Prices are at a premium tho.  No bags of rice but plenty of boxes of minute variety.  Their produce sucks regardless.  Aldi has better produce because it turnsover so fast it doesnt sit around.  

On 3/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, hammertime said:

Let’s try a bipartisan thread on where you shop and what is depleted.

i for one went to GFS and Giant Eagle and they had plenty of water. But both were out of milk and fresh poultry???

Large bottles of Rum were gonna as was woodford reserve lol(they did have the double oaked)

oh yeah bread shelves were almost bare.

the double oaked is an excellent choice. By the way mr. And mrs. America since you're going to be stuck at home for a month there are plenty of bags of flour on the shelf and plenty of packages of yeast what the hell else are you going to do?

😎

WSS

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

the double oaked is an excellent choice. By the way mr. And mrs. America since you're going to be stuck at home for a month there are plenty of bags of flour on the shelf and plenty of packages of yeast what the hell else are you going to do?

😎

WSS

Make cookies with the flour and put the yeast in the septic system.🍪😋

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:29 AM, Westside Steve said:

there are plenty of bags of flour on the shelf

Not around here... even masa is sold out...

34 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not around here... even masa is sold out...

That would make it tough for me to make a pot of chili. I almost bought a bag of regular flour and some Yeast last time I was in the store but I don't really eat much bread anyway and there is still plenty on the shelves staying away from carbs

WSS

well, went out and got a few things. The main thing was hand sanitizer.

all gone. Two drugstores, two grocery stores. I just didn't want to run out...

the chlorox beach wipes? all gone. Restricted to only buying one loaf of bread. Not much of a selection.

going to bake bread tomorrow morning. All the spray lysol was gone, except for two spray cans of lysol foam, so I bought one.

Busier than it has been in the past. Wife and I finished two 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzles, we love the outdoor scenes.

I was going to serenade her with my harmonica, and she said she would love it ....if I went outside on the deck. By myself. lol

going to start on my AR-15 lower tomorrow, studying some excellent youtubes today.

Have to keep reading my book on the most famous 7 of the Founding Fathers. Still too early to go hunting for morel mushrooms in our woods.

But I'll start my other hobby - treasure hunting with my metal detector ! Hey, I might never find much, but neither have the Oak Island guys, either.

Neighbor pulled a April Fool's joke on her kids. Showed them a bogus Fox New report that said the gov of Ohio has decided to make all ohio students take their grade over again next year.

LOL LOL. Broke their hearts, ruined their morning, until she kept laughing and said it was just a joke.

Gotta love that.

If my Wife turns on one more "Criminal Intent" or "Perry Mason" on TV..., i'm going to get my guitar out and sing some love songs to her.

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I have almost 100 rolls of shit paper and a couple of industrial dispensers of hand sanitizer.  I don't fuck around.  Negans group gets what it wants.

MHO is unless people still are in panic mode, a lot of the stuff high on the hoarding list will be available soon. Or I hope before I start running out....  I heard shop as soon as the stores open, supplies were pretty good of most items.  

Finally got an online grocery shopping site that works well. Using instacart.com put in my order for HEB grocer and had a Sunday (or earlier) time assigned. Nicole is a runner for HEB and she picked it up by the next morning and had everything on our front porch by 11am yesterday. Only had to substitute a few items. Made sure she got a nice tip on top of their normal service & home delivery charges. 

Since we have now had 55 confirmed positives and one death in our county that is only testing the more severe cases, we are now staying out of all stores. We do still use takeout after I read that as long as you decontaminate the containers there have been no cases from eating food reported. We just pour the food out on paper plates, dispose of all containers and wash hands thoroughly before eating takeout. 

With 55 positives you can bet there are 300-500 out there under the radar, so self isolation rules are now under strict following in this home.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Since we have now had 55 confirmed positives and one death in our county

Still no deaths here, but our case count curve is trending exponential... now doubling every few days.... 1 to 3 to 6 to now 13.

Mayor is getting on locals for still doing family shopping trips.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

dammit. We forgot to decontaminate our containers.

Strange times.

covid19 apocalypse. at least we don't have zombies. That would REALLY SUCK.

I thought that's what Trumpettes were.  LOLOLOLOL!😂😜😍

I have met an older than me black woman on my bicycle rounds and stopped to converse a few times pre-virus. Today I went by her house and from a distance gave her the instacart.com website from which she may order groceries from HEB instead of risking going in like she had been doing. Turns out she lives with her also elderly sister since they have both lost their husbands over the last few years and take care of one another. She and her sister live at the end of a very long cul de sac and she told me the neighbors all know them both and check on them constantly. Very lovely woman.

• Upvote 3