THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Draft Format still Undecided

The Gipper

From Pro Football Talk:

The NFL draft is still on for April 23-25, but whether the draft will be the big Las Vegas spectacle the NFL envisioned remained to be seen.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the NFL is making contingency plans, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

If the coronavirus outbreak remains a major threat to the United States, the league could scrap all events and conduct the draft by conference call. The draft would go on, but it would consist of teams calling in their picks to the league, and the league office making the announcement. ESPN and NFL Network could still televise live draft shows in that event: The shows would look different, but the primary draw is still football fans finding out who the new players on their favorite teams will be, and that will be unaffected.

If the spread of the virus has subsided by mid-April, the NFL could still have the event in Las Vegas, and the league seems to be holding out hope that will happen. At this point, it seems unlikely that Americans will be ready to travel across the country to gather in big crowds in April, so the numbers of fans attending may be affected, but the league is still planning as if the draft will go on as planned.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 5:43 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I'm shocked that this isn't happening when Cleveland is hosting it. Would be just our luck to get the draft, only to have some beer-named virus make it unattendable. 

still could man still could

So basically what changes is:

• No player "red carpet".
  • Names won't be written on a card which is then run to the front of a hall.
  • Fans won't be on hand to cheer and/or boo players... many of whom the fans don't know anything about.
  • No Roger-hugs.
  • No one sweating in the Green Room as his name is not called.

Last one is the only one I'll miss... although the lavalava clad Danny Sheldon picking up Roger was pretty cool.

46 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So basically what changes is:

• No player "red carpet".
  • Names won't be written on a card which is then run to the front of a hall.
  • Fans won't be on hand to cheer and/or boo players... many of whom the fans don't know anything about.
  • No Roger-hugs.
  • No one sweating in the Green Room as his name is not called.

Last one is the only one I'll miss... although the lavalava clad Danny Sheldon picking up Roger was pretty cool.

i actually enjoy all the hoopla 

Pre-Draft, In Person, Visit Process... From Broncos writer Aric Dilarra....  

There are restrictions for the calls 

a) each club can hold no more than 3 phone/video calls per week. And calls can last no longer than an Hour.

b) The league announced in the memo,that it will work with the competition committee & GM advisory Committee to determine the best method to provide medical information about prospects.

c)Teams* are required to *report any* of these calls to the *Players Personnel Department*  (seem shady to anyone?)

On 3/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, Orion said:

Draft will be more like the old days.  I'm probably going to like it better.  :)

Have you ever watched the 30 on 30 about the '83 NFL Draft? (The Elway/Marino draft)

It was startling how hokey the set up looked in comparison to now. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Have you ever watched the 30 on 30 about the '83 NFL Draft? (The Elway/Marino draft)

I have not.  Was working feverishly during that period of time.  

When I was in grade school, back when Christ was a kid, a school-mate had his mom keep the radio on all day and write down the name of every draft pick.  The next day he would bring the paper(s) into school and tell me about the draft.  We were very young, and I didn't know any of the players he was talking about. :)

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

That is my favorite 30 for 30 program though.    Though the agent there for both of them....forget his name, was an arrogant ass.  But that is part of why the show is so intriguing. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

That is my favorite 30 for 30 program though.    Though the agent there for both of them....forget his name, was an arrogant ass.  But that is part of why the show is so intriguing. 

Mine has to be the Jimmy Valvano one... 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Set up... yes, but what always gets me are the graphics.

And to think when ESPN first approached Rozelle and the NFL about broadcasting the Draft they thought ESPN was crazy.

Wondered how much a Nite 1 commercial minute sells for... turns out not all that much...

In 2019:

ABC is getting what executives feel are primetime rates for commercials on Thursday’s Draft broadcast, according to a person familiar with the matter. The average price for a 30-second slot is said to come in somewhere in the mid-$100,000 range, this person said. The average price for a 30-second spot in “Grey’s Anatomy” at the start of this year’s TV season was $185,990, according to a Variety survey of four media buyers.