THE BROWNS BOARD

The Stock Market

OldBrownsFan

On 3/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, JAFBF said:

Interesting thing is, on the downside the Market Circuit Breakers kick in at about 7-8%, but there are also upside Circuit Breakers (which look to be lower % wise).

Fifteen-minute breakers are set to kick in at 7% and 13% drops in the S&P 500 before 3:25 PM Eastern.

If 20% drop occurs, then the market closes for the remainder of the day regardless of the time of day.

So far we've only hit the 7% breaker three times... twice in the past week.

There is no such breaker for increases in the S&P. However, there are individual "breakers" of a sort for individual stocks and ETFs. These are under the SEC's "Limit Up-Limit Down Rule".

On 3/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, JAFBF said:
  1. The Market opened this morning locked to the upside, then fluctuated until the speech, where can see by price & volume the Market loved it.
  2. I still think we'll have some hiccups until things level out, as they've pretty much caused a short term Recession with what they've done.
  3. Short term good chance of some more down turn, but the long term is going to be a Rocket once everything else kicks in.
  1. While the Market did like the parade of CEO's most of the rally in the last half hour before the close was due to a good, old-fashioned, short squeeze on steroids.
  2. What who has done?
  3. What is "everything else"?

On 3/13/2020 at 8:11 AM, OldBrownsFan said:

It is all about buying low and selling high. I don't understand why those would be selling their stocks at a loss right now when they should know the stock market is going to rebound. They need to just ride it out. If you don't go into the stock market with that kind of attitude you probably shouldn't be in the stock market.

On the flip side this is probably a good time for a person to get into the stock market with those panicking and selling their stocks at a loss. The tricky part is guessing how low that stocks will fall until hitting bottom.

On 3/13/2020 at 8:27 AM, OldBrownsFan said:

I agree. If I were to get into the stock market I would wait until after the election. Trump's cutting taxes and govt regulations got us the great economy and democrat higher taxes and more govt regulations will take a bad situation and throw gasoline on the fire.

I don't know how this will play out. I hope it doesn't keep Trump from being re-elected in 2020. The left will not keep from playing politics and now are calling the coronavirus Trump's Chernobyl...apparently hurricane Katrina wasn't a Russian enough analogy

No offense OBF, but forget what I said earlier about doing it yourself. You are neither knowledgeable enough nor objective enough. And while you can learn to invest, you're too far gone now to be objective enough.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:29 AM, Westside Steve said:

When people get bored with the panic it will start to rebound.

Stupidest post in this thread.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

No offense OBF, but forget what I said earlier about doing it yourself. You are neither knowledgeable enough nor objective enough. And while you can learn to invest, you're too far gone now to be objective enough.

Stupidest post in this thread.

Topped only by the stupidest response. Enjoy the Panic du jour.  Especially hysterical after the way some people here accuse others of having political tunnel vision no matter what the issue might be.

WSS

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Ditto and yup... what's in the market now is basically there for the duration except in case of emergency.

Don't "Mutual Fund"... go the SPY ETF route. Much lower expenses...

The money I have on the sidelines is my entire TSP (US Gov Thrift Savings Plan) and my only way into the stock market is the C Fund (based on S&P 500) unless I switch it all into an IRA. It is really easy to go back and forth so right now it is just parked in US Treasury Fund (G). It has been there as part of the old people should not be all-in on stock markets protection plan.LOL!😂

But if the market gets down there so low that the bottom appears ready to tip back up, I have a decision to make. In early 2008 I anticipated retirement coming so I took it all out of the stock fund where it had grown exponentially and parked it in the G Fund. Many people my age made the mistake of thinking the market would go on up forever..............until later in 2008-09. I was lucky on that just by coincidence of anticipation of retirement and being too overloaded in stocks for that event.

Note - investing in your 401K program at work, again, is one of the absolute best things you can ever do for yourself.

Years from now - the accrued worth will have you doing a happy dance.

Hysterical? Moi? lol... Sure, Steve. Slante mhath...

True, cal... have to contribute at least up to the limit of any employer's match. Beyond that an IRA can make more sense due to the added investing flexibility you are likely to have. Also you can fund IRAs by borrowing from your 401k... and you get to pay yourself (your 401k) back.

Meanwhile the market opened limit down and was suspended for 15 minutes. Actually fell a little more than 7% as it happened so fast.

Bank stocks are leading the way down... which makes sense as they lead the late surge on Friday.

Just reopened, dropped more immediately and is dancing around as if thinking about hitting the 13% breaker. Never happened before... we shall see...

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. While the Market did like the parade of CEO's most of the rally in the last half hour before the close was due to a good, old-fashioned, short squeeze on steroids.
  2. What who has done?
  3. What is "everything else"?

#2.

The MSM hysteria.

Fed Rate to 0.25% for one as well as the $700B QE (just happened, still expect more). 

End of Payroll Tax for the rest of the year (in progress, may be this week).

USMCA was just approved by Canda this weekend.

I expect some other things too possibly occur, depends on how it goes.

Going to be bumpy for a while, but once this Corona deal is over, with lower Interest, Taxes, and time for the new Trade deals to register - that's a lot of fuel.

OK... good points... other than the MSN bit.

The QE supported the bond market which was threatening to go into free fall. The Fed may get into Corporate Bond purchases again.

Disagree on the Fed rate... it was already plenty low enough that borrowing was not a barrier to investment. And with the Corporate tax cuts already handed out a lot of companies did not need to borrow at any rate. Now at 0% they may to purchase more of their own stock. Great for my investments... does nothing for the economy.

I don't foresee a Payroll tax holiday. Might see some checks hitting the mail. Also going to be bailing some big businesses... probably starting with the airlines who won't survive the summer.

Guest on CNBC is talking about national Business Interruption Insurance backed by the government. The condition for access would be that companies keep their employees whole. Interesting idea... probably has no shot.

Trade deals? Dunno... What do you see as the 3 biggest improvements in the USMCA over NAFTA?

Oh well... what's another 12% off the S&P between friends...

OBF, that's why you scale in slowly.

Oh.... and the last 3% drop was during today's Corona update featuring DJT...

Think he'll sign and post today's chart?

3 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

that is outstanding. and sad for our country that it has come to this.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Hysterical? Moi? lol... Sure, Steve. Slante mhath...

Wrong usage of the word hysterical. Try replacing it with hilarious.

True, cal... have to contribute at least up to the limit of any employer's match. Beyond that an IRA can make more sense due to the added investing flexibility you are likely to have. Also you can fund IRAs by borrowing from your 401k... and you get to pay yourself (your 401k) back.

Meanwhile the market opened limit down and was suspended for 15 minutes. Actually fell a little more than 7% as it happened so fast.

Bank stocks are leading the way down... which makes sense as they lead the late surge on Friday.

Just reopened, dropped more immediately and is dancing around as if thinking about hitting the 13% breaker. Never happened before... we shall see...

Nope... but I remember the market acting negatively.

Was that your point?

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Oh no... an editorial column from a conservative hack in a conservative rag...

Whatever will I do...

Cheap shot, OBF... I thought you were above that kinda shit.

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Nope... but I remember the market acting negatively.

Was that your point?

Oh no... an editorial column from a conservative hack in a conservative rag...

Whatever will I do...

Cheap shot, OBF... I thought you were above that kinda shit.

It would be a cheap shot if I said that you or Tex actually were rooting for the coronavirus to bring down Trump or even that all democrats feel that way. There are some

who are. I read them all the time so twisted with TDS they almost act like they have lost their minds with hatred of the bad orange man.

Here are a few of the latest. Just a few on my news feed today.

https://www.redstate.com/sister-toldjah/2020/03/16/dan-bongino-and-others-call-out-nyt-editor-for-altering-trump-quote-from-conference-call-with-governors/

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2020/03/16/in-midst-the-of-a-pandemic-rep.-james-clyburn-compares-trump-to-hitler-because-reasons

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2020/03/16/lawrence-o’donnell-joins-media-in-using-wuhan-virus-panic-as-a-way-to-hurt-trump/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

OK... good points... other than the MSN bit.

The QE supported the bond market which was threatening to go into free fall. The Fed may get into Corporate Bond purchases again.

Disagree on the Fed rate... it was already plenty low enough that borrowing was not a barrier to investment. And with the Corporate tax cuts already handed out a lot of companies did not need to borrow at any rate. Now at 0% they may to purchase more of their own stock. Great for my investments... does nothing for the economy.

I don't foresee a Payroll tax holiday. Might see some checks hitting the mail. Also going to be bailing some big businesses... probably starting with the airlines who won't survive the summer.

Guest on CNBC is talking about national Business Interruption Insurance backed by the government. The condition for access would be that companies keep their employees whole. Interesting idea... probably has no shot.

Trade deals? Dunno... What do you see as the 3 biggest improvements in the USMCA over NAFTA?

My Company is getting ready to pull the trigger on a multi multi $B deal, the rate change is going to be a huge deal (not that it was needed).

POTUS signaled at one of the last two Pressers that he may be looking at the Fed going to negative rates (never happened in US) as many EU Nations are at now.

Payroll Tax Holiday is just one step of many, I think it's going too happen, may not be this week (after today odds even better), but I believe it will happen.

Folks poo poo me for this next bit, but I see us going back to "a" Gold Standard of sorts.

Wasn't expecting to see this until second Term, but the hand may have been forced early.

Fed is on Life Support, expect big changes or elimination of it (it's not Legal, was never ratified).

Trade Deals ?

For one, we'll be on at least equal footing and out of the one sided deals - note all the Companies coming back to US.

Just look at Canada, they had a 300% Tariff on our stuff - no more.

The deal with China, POTUS got them to take $40B in Agriculture in this first round.

Our Farmers are going to have a tough time meeting that - lot of work/growth.

Business / Supply interruption ?

Yea, that's where the bumpy ride comes in.

Negatives is the hiccup to the supply chain - we've gotten way too dependent on China (crap).

This temporary disruption is going to slow things a bit until it catches back up.

Our Economy was hot (going to get hotter), we had ~1M Job openings unfulfilled.

Positive is now everyone sees how dependent we are on other Countries for items (China mainly).

This (plus recent E.O.'s) are going to pull more Manufacturing & Jobs back to the U.S.

When POTUS talked about building the Wall early on, he also mentioned that there was going to be "a great big door" for people to come across the Border too work (legally).

We had 1M openings before, once  this Corona mess and these new measures come into too play there is no way can fill all the jobs that will be needed.

He said he could get 5+% GDP, with what's in the pipeline I don't see that as much of a challenge.

When, I don't know.

You can't time the Market or else a lot more people would be Rich :)

• Thanks 1

Coronavirus is going to lead to a global recession, that's almost a given at this point. How long and how severe it will be is yet to be seen.

As for Trump, when you base the majority of your presidency's reputation and legitimacy on the performance of the economy, you better damn well be prepared to take the hit and answer the tough questions when the economy starts tanking. Trump's reputation has lived by the proverbial sword of the economy, so he better prepare for the possibility of dying by the sword of the economy.

6 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Coronavirus is going to lead to a global recession, that's almost a given at this point. How long and how severe it will be is yet to be seen.

As for Trump, when you base the majority of your presidency's reputation and legitimacy on the performance of the economy, you better damn well be prepared to take the hit and answer the tough questions when the economy starts tanking. Trump's reputation has lived by the proverbial sword of the economy, so he better prepare for the possibility of dying by the sword of the economy.

I don't know how this will play out. There is 7 months until the election, which is a long time in politics. A recession is an almost certainty but I think most people realize under Trump our economy was thriving until the coronavirus hit. The democrats know that they can't blame the coronavirus on Trump (well not all some on the left have called the coronavirus the Trunp virus). They can attack him on his response to the coronavirus. I think that is fair game EXCEPT they shouldn't be doing it now right in the middle of the crisis. Also I could post a number of times the attacks on Trump have not been fair with false or misleading attacks. 

Trump rates himself a 10 on his handling of coronavirus . I would rate him an 8. On substance he has done a lot but early on with his pressers he would have been better off to say less and let the CDC experts do more of the speaking and answering questions. I don't  fault Trump for not being a flu pandemic expert, that is what those officials at CDC are getting paid the big bucks for and the country during a flu pandemic crisis are wanting to hear from them. I cringed early on when I thought Trump was minimizing the coronavirus threat and painting a too optimistic picture. I thought at the time if the situation becomes worse the left will use this against him (and they have).  I understand also as president Trump was trying to reduce fear and panic like we see now playing out in the grocery stores.

As of right now I think Trump can fight back any democrat charges on his response to the coronavirus. He has taken many steps he can point to where he has been ahead of the curve such as travel bans which the rest of the world is only doing now well after Trump did it. There are some issues about testing which CDC said was a failing but to be more accurate that was their own failing. The president cannot micro manage every govt dept and if the CDC was caught unprepared for flu testing that is on them.

We are taking steps to help people who might get laid off and people who will be negatively affected by the coronavirus but I hope govt is also prepared to help small business and other industries who also are going to be negatively impacted. If not there are going to be many people laid off with no jobs to go back to as their employer has gone bankrupt. 

All I know at this point is that I got to see the next episode of The Walking Dead at the two grocery stores closest to Sun City. Williamson County where Sun City is located just declared no gatherings greater than 50 people. When I went in to just get a few things and go through self checkout, there were about 50 people waiting like sardines in every non-express lane in the store and the parking lot was an endless procession of musical parking places (as was the other grocers PL). All of them older than the hills (a lot of portable O2 users) just hoarding up on supplies. If the virus is already here, the Walking Dead filming crew that was here two weeks ago needs to come back and get a shot of those lines. Just plain fucking stupid. I got in and got out and kept my distance from all of them. Sanitized my hands in the car and washed up good with Dial soap while putting my clothes in the washer as soon as I got home. And the Rec Center where I play RB had just 5 of us playing, one teen shooting baskets and 10 people in the weight/workout machines area. Teens are on spring break, but unlike the old idiots at the grocers collecting TP, they stayed home. The Rec Center closed after we left and will remain so until May 11. So it's yard work and the bicycle for me.

5 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Yes that's the truth. Unfortunately in times of upheaval like we are experiencing now people freak out and vote the other way. Don't be a terrible mistake because the Democrats naturally go toward putting the clamps on the economy raising taxes levying more and more restrictions all of which will slow the eventual recovery to a crawl.

WSS

11 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yes that's the truth. Unfortunately in times of upheaval like we are experiencing now people freak out and vote the other way. Don't be a terrible mistake because the Democrats naturally go toward putting the clamps on the economy raising taxes levying more and more restrictions all of which will slow the eventual recovery to a crawl.

WSS

Which was totally not the case when Obama came in with an economic disaster nearing Great Depression proportions when he took office. You all keep forgetting that this 11 year recovery started shortly after that because he listened to and implemented the best advice from all sides. Trump did not start the recovery.

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Which was totally not the case when Obama came in with an economic disaster nearing Great Depression proportions when he took office. You all keep forgetting that this 11 year recovery started shortly after that because he listened to and implemented the best advice from all sides. Trump did not start the recovery.

He sped the economy along Roosevelt fiddle fucked around with his social programs and finally the only thing that pulled us out of the Depression was a big big war and allowing the other two manufacturing superpowers they kick each other's ass. And the housing recession was a pimple on the ass of the Great Depression. 

WSS

25 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

In school our history books credited Roosevelt for getting us out of the Great Depression and I believe that is true to a point. Roosevelt was the president we needed to kick start the economy but I believe after stimulating the economy he needed to get govt out of the way and he didn't and made the depression last longer than it should. I believe with WSS that it was only WW2 that finally did get us out of the depression.

Some of Obama's stimulus did some good but the democrats used it as an excuse to fund every pork barrel wasteful spending project they ever dreamed about. After nearly a trillion dollar stimulus we had little to show for it. I would have rather seen that money used on infrastructure which would have been a great investment other than Solyndra, cash for clunkers and any number of wasteful spending in Obama's stimulus.

It is not coincidence that Obama never had the booming economy that Trump has. Trumps lowering taxes and less govt regulations has always been proved to be a winner for economic growth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

In school our history books credited Roosevelt for getting us out of the Great Depression and I believe that is true to a point. Roosevelt was the president we needed to kick start the economy but I believe after stimulating the economy he needed to get govt out of the way and he didn't and made the depression last longer than it should. I believe with WSS that it was only WW2 that finally did get us out of the depression.

Some of Obama's stimulus did some good but the democrats used it as an excuse to fund every pork barrel wasteful spending project they ever dreamed about. After nearly a trillion dollar stimulus we had little to show for it. I would have rather seen that money used on infrastructure which would have been a great investment other than Solyndra, cash for clunkers and any number of wasteful spending in Obama's stimulus.

It is not coincidence that Obama never had the booming economy that Trump has. Trumps lowering taxes and less govt regulations has always been proved to be a winner for economic growth.

Trump poured in $3Tril+ into this economy and a worthless wall. And perhaps you missed all the roadwork projects that were done under Obama. Funny every place I traveled seemed to have major roadworks going on that were long overdue. I would call that infrastructure myself. 

And he did away with most of the protections from Wall Streeters that were a cornerstone started by Bush, Jr. and carried on my Obama.

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Trump poured in $3Tril+ into this economy and a worthless wall. And perhaps you missed all the roadwork projects that were done under Obama. Funny every place I traveled seemed to have major roadworks going on that were long overdue. I would call that infrastructure myself. 

And he did away with most of the protections from Wall Streeters that were a cornerstone started by Bush, Jr. and carried on my Obama.

In the grand scope the wall cost nothing it's just something for idiots to whine about.

WSS

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Walls work. They work everywhere they are tried. If you support open borders then you would oppose a wall. The wall is not the only answer but it is part of the answer.(Although ironically Mexico is now suddenly worried about border security because of the coronavirus in our country).

The waste in Obama's stimulus is legendary. I would have been happy though if we had used that money for infrastructure and then we would have had something to this day to show for the money spent.

Data Shows that the Stimulus Package Was a Waste of Money

All the stimulus did was put Obama 6.1 million jobs in the hole.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/peter-roff/2009/12/19/data-shows-that-the-stimulus-package-was-a-waste-of-money

• Upvote 1