THE BROWNS BOARD

Led Zeppelin wins 'Stairway to Heaven' copyright infringement case

Led Zeppelin wins 'Stairway to Heaven' copyright infringement case

Led Zeppelin scored a win in the copyright infringement battle over the rock band's "Stairway to Heaven" song, according to reports.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld on Monday a jury's verdict that Zeppelin did not rip the instrumental intro from Spirit's hit "Taurus."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axe said:

We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences ;)

That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

Yea, but they out and out ripped off many songs of others.  It went beyond influence to pure plagiarism.  You only have to hear a few of the songs they stole from to know that. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/?fbclid=IwAR3ctgpz_Yj77_TegyrqbYjV9b-P9U1sWnK7bkaz3qf9bKOJ5J6Vh1rkGD8

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, but they out and out ripped off many songs of others.  It went beyond influence to pure plagiarism.  You only have to hear a few of the songs they stole from to know that. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/?fbclid=IwAR3ctgpz_Yj77_TegyrqbYjV9b-P9U1sWnK7bkaz3qf9bKOJ5J6Vh1rkGD8

The only one with any viable similarity is I should have quit you a long time ago and only because of the lyric line. ..

WSS

I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

12 hours ago, nickers said:

I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 ;)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Axe said:

And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 ;)

To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

🎼

WSS

Edit

On 3/14/2020 at 4:16 AM, Westside Steve said:

To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

🎼

WSS

Edit

The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Axe said:

The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

When you think about it it's been fucked up as far back as we can remember. Back to the 50s when record companies hired groups of random kids to sing generic-pop-songs put them on tour keep all the money and then go on to the next batch. Way back before album sales before album sales meant anything. Sometimes it amazes me we have gone full circle. I still enjoy performing but I'm probably substantially older than you are and I don't need to anymore. 

WSS

• 3 weeks later...

Taurus? Hell I was a Spirit fan and never heard Taurus... but yeah... pretty big rip there. First impression of its opening was the start of West Side Story tho... so maybe Bernstein's estate has a case as well...

When I think Spirit, I think 12 Dreams...

On 3/10/2020 at 5:53 PM, Axe said:

We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences

I forget who said it, but the quote was, "there are no new notes."

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Taurus? Hell I was a Spirit fan and never heard Taurus... but yeah... pretty big rip there. First impression of its opening was the start of West Side Story tho... so maybe Bernstein's estate has a case as well...

When I think Spirit, I think 12 Dreams...

We used to do I've got a line on you. All time classic opening guitar riff.

WSS

26 minutes ago, Axe said:

Didn't they have a drummer they called "Mr Clean"?

That would be Ed Cassidy... one of the two steady members on the group along with frontman, Randy "California" (Wolfe). Randy was the real talent of the group.

Ed was as bald as bald can be and was old enough to be Randy's Dad. In fact he was actually Randy's step-dad.

Otherwise Spirit was comprised of whoever in a pool of players was available at the time to record and/or tour. Basically it was the Steely Dan model before there was a Steely Dan.

AllMusic has a nice bio for the group... as it does most groups. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/spirit-mn0000746010/biography

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That would be Ed Cassidy... one of the two steady members on the group along with frontman, Randy "California" (Wolfe). Randy was the real talent of the group.

Ed was as bald as bald can be and was old enough to be Randy's Dad. In fact he was actually Randy's step-dad.

Otherwise Spirit was comprised of whoever in a pool of players was available at the time to record and/or tour. Basically it was the Steely Dan model before there was a Steely Dan.

AllMusic has a nice bio for the group... as it does most groups. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/spirit-mn0000746010/biography

I remember the rumors circulating at the time that Ed Cassidy was Randy California's father. I don't know if it's online but I saying Harmony are record by Scott Alan on the song Nature's Way. Which is my favorite song of theirs.

WSS

A roommate of mine and I used to argue which side of 12 Dreams... was the better one. I always took side 1 which included your fav which bled into mine, Animal Zoo...

Oh no something went wrong well you're much too fat and a little too long... Oh no there's too much to do better get on home to the Animal Zoo...IIRC... lol

My fav had the distinction of not being written by Randy, but one of the pool players, Jay Fergusen, who I followed thru a chunk of his solo career. Thunder Island  is one of his LPs I remember... and still own.

It was a long time ago mind you, but I think I saw Spirit open for Steppenwolf.. Back in the Flux days of Steppenwolf.. Geez, long time ago.. 74 or so..

Right or wrong, I always viewed Spirit as a precursor to Styx :unsure:

I can see that... always felt Styx had a touch of "glam" quality to them that I did not feel with Spirit, but...

Steppenwolf... geez... saw them once in '73 IIRC... in the Public Auditorium...

Redbone opened... and threw out a high-energy set.

Then for some unknown reason the producers sandwiched Dan Hick and His Hot Licks between Redbone and Steppenwolf. To say it did not work is an understatement. They were booed off the stage.

And then WMMS legend, Billy Bass, berated the crowd punctuated by a hardy, "Fuck you," at the end...

I did not boo, but I understood the sentiment. While I could handle the odd Dan Hicks track on MMS... a full set by what was basically a gimmick band would have been a bit much... especially in that sandwich.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I can see that... always felt Styx had a touch of "glam" quality to them that I did not feel with Spirit, but...

Steppenwolf... geez... saw them once in '73 IIRC... in the Public Auditorium...

Redbone opened... and threw out a high-energy set.

Then for some unknown reason the producers sandwiched Dan Hick and His Hot Licks between Redbone and Steppenwolf. To say it did not work is an understatement. They were booed off the stage.

And then WMMS legend, Billy Bass, berated the crowd punctuated by a hardy, "Fuck you," at the end...

I did not boo, but I understood the sentiment. While I could handle the odd Dan Hicks track on MMS... a full set by what was basically a gimmick band would have been a bit much... especially in that sandwich.

I was there when James Taylor opened for The Who and just aboue got booed off the stage. I was there again the next year when Pete Townshend berated the audience for their poor Behavior the previous year.

WSS

Yea,  it is an issue when promotors book a backup band that is totally incompatible with the main act.  

James Taylor backing up The Who?   Not a good mix really.    Backing up say Crosby Stills Nash and Young....a much better mix.  

Of course, the worst thing is when the backup band more or less "shows up"  the lead act.

I didn't see too many of those shows, but one I remember was when KISS was the backup band for The New York Dolls.  I like both bands, but based on their respective stage shows and the energy brought to the crowd, it should have been the other way around.

Now, I saw a concert where Aerosmith was the back up band for Mott the Hoople.   Some now may say that they had that in the wrong order, based on their status going forward.  But that was absolutely NOT the case in the arena that night.  Mott was the premier act, and they brought the energy of a premier act to the stage over their "backup band" that night.    (and as far as I am concerned....that is still the proper order)

On 4/5/2020 at 12:31 AM, Tour2ma said:

I think Hal Blaine did all of the drums on they're records... Look up Hal Blaine... He's played on over 5,000 recordings and was part of the LA Session group.. "The Wrecking Crew"