THE BROWNS BOARD

Talk of Tua Taking Over

The Gipper

Again, I know that you will want to kill the messenger,  but I, again, am only reporting what I hear some of the talking heads debating, and that is this:

That IF Tua can come out with a clean bill of health, that he, and not  Burrow could be the #1 pick of the Bengals. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/todd-mcshay-tua-tagovailoa-joe-burrow-2020/

Kill the Gipper? Never on Friday...

Tua has skills... no doubt about it. Had he stayed healthy it would have been a great debate over who would have gone #1... was Heisman worthy... would be Nat Champ..

... but he did not stay healthy.

And it wasn't just the hip. Both ankles cost him time and one required surgery.

So even if planned tests show blood flow to the broken area of his now-healed pelvis... even if he is then "cleared" to perform in a "Tua-sized ProDay... it is hard to imagine Tua's name being called before Burrows'.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Kill the Gipper? Never on Friday...

Tua has skills... no doubt about it. Had he stayed healthy it would have been a great debate over who would have gone #1... was Heisman worthy... would be Nat Champ..

... but he did not stay healthy.

And it wasn't just the hip. Both ankles cost him time and one required surgery.

So even if planned tests show blood flow to the broken area of his now-healed pelvis... even if he is then "cleared" to perform in a "Tua-sized ProDay... it is hard to imagine Tua's name being called before Burrows'.

The key word in the McShay opinion is  "healthy". Which  as of now,  the answer is not enough to  work out at the combine.  It's  not just the ankles beside the hip either  Tour. A quick  Google search  turned  up a broken finger, and bum knee. 

So buyer beware- is Tua another made of  glass  Sam Bradford?  I'm  hardly  surprised there's rumors some teams have totally  taken  him off  their boards due to medical concerns. 

52 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The key word in the McShay opinion is  "healthy". Which  as of now,  the answer is not enough to  work out at the combine.  It's  not just the ankles beside the hip either  Tour. A quick  Google search  turned  up a broken finger, and bum knee. 

So buyer beware- is Tua another made of  glass  Sam Bradford?  I'm  hardly  surprised there's rumors some teams have totally  taken  him off  their boards due to medical concerns. 

I basically agree that his health is an issue.....but to be honest, I never thought that he would have been #1 overall worthy to begin with.  But then I never thought that about Bradford either.  It seemed to me that year that whomever selected him (Rams)  basically said "well, we gotta take somebody, so lets take him"....  I mean, what were their other options that year?  Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy?   That year they had the chance to take Suh instead, but didn't.   There was not Joe Burrow type option available that year.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I basically agree that his health is an issue.....but to be honest, I never thought that he would have been #1 overall worthy to begin with.  But then I never thought that about Bradford either.  It seemed to me that year that whomever selected him (Rams)  basically said "well, we gotta take somebody, so lets take him"....  I mean, what were their other options that year?  Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy?   That year they had the chance to take Suh instead, but didn't.   There was not Joe Burrow type option available that year.

The classic drafting for need as opposed to the available talent. Took a quick look Gipper. In that 2010 draft, 15 of the top 25 picks made the Pro Bowl, and Bulaga isn't exactly a stiff.  LOL down year for qbs.  

We'll see in about 8 weeks what teams think about Tua. He's a big medical red flag. However, with the rookie salary scale now, it's not as financially punitive to miss on a high first round pick as it was for Sam. It would be really interesting if Burrow wasn't in this draft. 

37 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The classic drafting for need as opposed to the available talent. Took a quick look Gipper. In that 2010 draft, 15 of the top 25 picks made the Pro Bowl, and Bulaga isn't exactly a stiff.  LOL down year for qbs.  

We'll see in about 8 weeks what teams think about Tua. He's a big medical red flag. However, with the rookie salary scale now, it's not as financially punitive to miss on a high first round pick as it was for Sam. It would be really interesting if Burrow wasn't in this draft. 

It would be interesting if Tua were not hurt.  Yes, a lot of scouts think a lot more of him than I do.  (but I am not expert).   They have compared him to Drew Brees.

But then...recall, Drew Brees was not drafted until the 2d round.     #32 overall....when there were only  31 teams. 

Could injury concerns drop him that low?   Late 1st, early 2d round?