THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns focused on Mayfield getting slimmer, faster

Vambo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001103252/article/browns-focused-on-mayfield-getting-slimmer-faster

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
In the aftermath of a disappointing 2019 season, the Browns' onus going forward as it relates to quarterback Baker Mayfield is for the former No. 1 overall pick to become a slimmer and trimmer version.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday morning that heading into 2020, an important focus for the Browns will be Mayfield's fitness and body makeup.

According to Rapoport, Mayfield's approach ahead of his second NFL season in 2019 was to bulk up and he, in turn, lost some quickness. Never exactly regarded for having phenomenal mobility, Mayfield still was noticeably slower when he scrambled.

Rapoport adds the emphasis for Mayfield will be on him being in better shape overall along with being faster.

The Oklahoma product had an outstanding rookie campaign in 2018 when he completed 63.8 percent of his passes in 13 starts for 3,725 yards, an NFL rookie-record 27 touchdowns to 14 interceptions and was sacked 25 times.

In 2019, however, despite starting all 16 games, Mayfield threw 22 touchdowns and had 21 picks, his completion percentage dropping to 59.4 and his yards sitting at 3,827. He was sacked 40 times -- 15 more than the previous year despite starting just three more games.

Change is afoot in Cleveland with new coach Kevin Stefanski and general manager Andrew Berry leading the way. And it seems one hopeful change is how Mayfield will look when the season comes around and then perhaps how he will perform.

2 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

lol...Bake hit the scales at the combine at 215 lbs. Today on wiki 209 lbs. 🧔 shall we start the biding weight at 235 lbs.?

I’d take the over

19 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

He really porked out:

dZ5FzZf.jpg

Lorenzo or Lorenzens, something like that.   The Hefty Lefty, out of Kentucky.   He has since died in case you did not know. 

He was actually a decent college QB, but obviously his weight kept him from any serious career....and eventually it caught up to him and took his life.:

Jared Raymond Lorenzen was an American football quarterback and administrator. Following a successful college football career at Kentucky, he played in the National Football League for four seasons with the New York Giants. At 285 lb, Lorenzen was one of the heaviest quarterbacks to play in the NFL. Wikipedia

Born: February 14, 1981, Covington, KY
Died: July 3, 2019, Lexington, KY
Weight: 315 lbs
Height: 6′ 4″
Nicknames: The Pillsbury Throwboy, The Abominable Throwman, MORE
At one point before he died of heart and kidney problems, he  got up to over 500 pounds. 

But  FYI...he DID win a Super Bowl ring as a backup QB to Eli Manning in 2007,

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

lol...Bake hit the scales at the combine at 215 lbs. Today on wiki 209 lbs. 🧔 shall we start the biding weight at 235 lbs.?

Did Ronny Jackson file the wiki report?

....... NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday morning that heading into 2020, an important focus for the Browns will be Mayfield's fitness and body makeup.....

It's going to take more than "makeup" it's going to take real hard work with a correct diet and renewed killer attitude to regain or surpass his rookie form.

Can he do it yes. Will he do it?   Well how do you motivate a multimillionaire 25 year to put his nose back to the grindstone and work his ass off to do better?

It's up to him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Blowjobs? 

That would motivate me......hey I have an idea for the BROWNS 2020 team for excellent achievement.

On second thought maybe not.

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

....... NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday morning that heading into 2020, an important focus for the Browns will be Mayfield's fitness and body makeup.....

It's going to take more than "makeup" it's going to take real hard work with a correct diet and renewed killer attitude to regain or surpass his rookie form.

Can he do it yes. Will he do it?   Well how do you motivate a multimillionaire 25 year to put his nose back to the grindstone and work his ass off to do better?

It's up to him.

At the combine where everyone wears kool little dolphin shorts and a sports bra, it's easy to click a stop watch, pull a tape measure or reset the little plastic thingies to accurately measure physical performance, but there is no way to measure the single largest factor that will separate the cuts and busts from the NFL's best.......

..... the heart that's beating under that sexy sports bra and the desire to be great, and right now, Baker's un-measurables appear to be average at best. 

Look, I heard somethings where they were acting like the weight gain was on purpose to make him "more durable." I'm calling BS on that.

His weight gain was from pounding beers and probably pizzas. At his age, it would be a cake walk to drop 20 lbs. Just drop some of the empty calories and he's be right into shape. And when your head coach looks like he's hiding a beach ball under his shirt, not much leadership going on there.. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Look, I heard somethings where they were acting like the weight gain was on purpose to make him "more durable." I'm calling BS on that.

He really hasn't missed many snaps since he started starting. I will say that about the guy. If the dad bod fat helps absorb those hits, then l’m ok with it l guess. Just have him do legs. Lots of running.

Anyone out there not gain weight during their first year of marriage? I know I did... a bunch. Then I woke up and started working it off. Baker can do the same and will have a lot more incentive and help to do so than I ever did.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Anyone out there not gain weight during their first year of marriage? I know I did... a bunch. Then I woke up and started working it off. Baker can do the same and will have a lot more incentive and help to do so than I ever did.

Of course. My only problem - and this may be an old man talking - is when is this guy going to get focused? You were the #1 player drafted. Take it a little more serious. Let's face it: despite other problems, he sucked last season. Sure, nothing is ever perfect, but he had plenty of plays he should have made. He had a dope running game, good Wrs, OL not the worst...Baker needs to grow up. 

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Appears that weight gain during the first year of marriage is common amongst you professional athletes.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yep-I went from a svelte 175 in the best shape of my life fresh out of Infantry School to a porky 190 within 6 months of marriage. So I took a tropical vacation to Vietnam via a two week jungle school in Panama and came back around 165. Funny how those duck and cover drills can take that stuff right off in no time flat. Right C. Mike and DieHard?😂

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Icecube said:

Of course. My only problem - and this may be an old man talking - is when is this guy going to get focused? You were the #1 player drafted. Take it a little more serious. Let's face it: despite other problems, he sucked last season. Sure, nothing is ever perfect, but he had plenty of plays he should have made. He had a dope running game, good Wrs, OL not the worst...Baker needs to grow up. 

"He wasn't focused" is harder to swallow than a Hindu eating a hamburger.

But I'll cling to anything in hopes Baker doesn't end up on that list of one year wonder QB's headed up by RGIII.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Gorka said:

He actually looks more like Kitchens. even his mug.

And as I informed everyone, this guy has since died from complication from his obesity at age 38.   Let's hope Freddy does not go that route.  As bad as he was as a coach and had to go,  he was still a decent guy and you don't want that happening to him. 

• Upvote 1