THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Drafts Thread

Westside Steve

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Then again.... maybe Smith is not so smart.

He posted a 7 round mock he did on Fanspeak Premium which allows trades and he... well... traded down to #26 to draft a questionable, 2nd-round, OT value...

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/cleveland-browns-2020-7-round-mock-draft-vol-5

As someone who hung out with him on occasion, watched many a NFL Draft with him, I can say no one is a bigger fan of Pete Smith's opinions than Pete Smith. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

He posted a 7 round mock he did on Fanspeak Premium which allows trades and he... well... traded down to #26 to draft a questionable, 2nd-round, OT value...

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/cleveland-browns-2020-7-round-mock-draft-vol-5

I could live with the first 2 rounds. We need a LT and Thomas is easily the top LT. Becton is really promising but if Callahan doesnt like him then I think trading back for Jones or Cleveland and getting another high pick is the best option. We have alot of holes to fill on this defense and getting an extra 2and or 3rd would go a long way

56 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Maybe he just thought that  Cleveland was perfect for Cleveland  :blink:

Beyond that,  mocks that pull off hypothetical trades, to me, are fairly useless.

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe he just thought that  Cleveland was perfect for Cleveland  :blink:

rumors are mostly true on Cleveland to Cleveland.seen many. Remember Berry was not in place till just after Senior bowl game was on 1-25-20.Berry was hired as GM on 1-27-20. While Berry was still at Philly, they interviewed Cleveland there..After Combine (which Cleveland did well in most explosion analynic numbers) Berry just got Cleveland again to a visit in Cleveland just before the NFL stopped all visits.. Ezra Cleveland & Austin Jackson both are certainly in the mix that fit the blocking scheme Stef wants to input..  

10 hours ago, LBC mike said:

How about trading up to the #1 pick?  Trade our 10 and Baker for Bengals first round 2nd and 3rd.  

If you made that call to Cinci... I hope you use a handset and not a speakerphone.

Why?

With a handset you'd only have tinnitus in one ear from how loud the laughter would be.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

If you made that call to Cinci... I hope you use a handset and not a speakerphone.

Why?

With a handset you'd only have tinnitus in one ear from how loud the laughter would be.

Yep-I'm not even sure they would take Baker and our first for Burrow alone at this point. They are about to get something very special for years to come IMO.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep-I'm not even sure they would take Baker and our first for Burrow alone at this point. They are about to get something very special for years to come IMO.

I know Burrow was the greatest thing since social distancing last season, but he is entering the NFL with less than 15 college starts, right?

I agree, I don't see the Bengals doing a #10 overall/Baker for #1 overall trade, but Burrow is not a guaranteed thing. The comps between him and Andrew Luck entering the NFL seem a bit silly IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know Burrow was the greatest thing since social distancing last season...

Have you become unstuck in time again?

Well.... have you Billy?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Ohh....a Slaughterhouse 5 reference. 

And did you know that Vonnegut actually did survive as a POW in a slaughterhouse in Dresden when it was fire-bombed? He took refuge very deep underground in a meat locker and then was put to work excavation bodies from the wreckage of the bombing.

And did you know that Vonnegut actually did survive as a POW in a slaughterhouse in Dresden when it was fire-bombed? He took refuge very deep underground in a meat locker and then was put to work excavation bodies from the wreckage of the bombing.

Yes I knew 

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

With Valerie Perrine?

Ding Ding Ding... a/k/a Montana Wildhack... IIRC...

"We'd like the night curtain now, please."

I freakin' loved that book (and Kurt)... and and the movie was decent as well.

Also loved Heller's Catch 22... a title that also applied to for the movie.

As in... if you read the book, then there is no way you could like the movie...

... while if you did not read the book, then there's no way you could have a clue what the movie was about and so you hated the movie.

• Upvote 1

LB-that's why I don't bother with that unrealistic one anymore. No way in hell anyone could trade down and get Thomas @17. Long gone by then for sure.

I just saw a few mock with him going 2 overall and honestly I wouldn't be suprised. LT always go higher than expected. I still think it will be Young but I think Thomas doesnt make it to 10. I'm not sure why all of the draft gurus are so low on him either.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:13 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

LB-that's why I don't bother with that unrealistic one anymore. No way in hell anyone could trade down and get Thomas @17. Long gone by then for sure.

Which one are using now then Ag ?

I've always used first-pick but happy to go elsewhere

So I did my "hold fast on picks, Andrew Thomas was available" draft.

Round 1 Pick 10  :  Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

Round 2 Pick 9: Malik Harrison, ILB, Ohio St.

Round 3 Pick 10: Jeremy Chinn, SS, S.Illinois

Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP):  Kevin Dotson, OG, Louisiana

Round 4 Pick 9: Alex Highsmith, Edge, Charlotte

Round 6 Pick 8: Bravvion Roy, DT, Baylor

Round 7 Pick 30: Dante Olson, OLB, Montana

Nothing really sexy, went heavy on the lines and in the trenches.  The heart and soul the Browns have been missing. 

- Stayed put and took my LT. 

-Malik should develop into a consistent and reliable MLB. 

-Chinn is going to be my big nickel safety.  I said that as much in my "Who are you watching" thread and NFL.com seems to agree with that assessment as well..

" ball skills and athleticism are strengths that help define his value and teams will need to find ways to put him in position to utilize both without exposing his inconsistent field awareness. He might find a future role as a big nickel or a cover linebacker who can drag tight ends around the field in sub-packages"    -  .https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jeremy-chinn?id=32194348-4965-0621-179b-1e6fa9b75e74

We just don't have a reliable linebacker who I trust to cover TE's and the intermediate stuff at the moment.  Chinn will get early minutes filling that role IMHO.

- Dotson is a massive guard who moves ok enough but you could some professional training to help with those hips and knees.  But the kid is an absolute mauler who uses his hands so well that it helps to mitigate his feet not being the quickest at the moment.   Room for improvement with sky high potential.

- Alex HighSmith is the only edge rusher I've seen with an actual functioning spin move.   Kid is more compact and quick off the edge.   A little on the light end, but this was a value take who, now that the Browns have Adrian as the base end, can take a shot at a kid who will specialize early on rushing the passer in limited snaps and can drop into coverage on occasion.  He gives you scheme flexibility looks between your 4 man and 3 man down fronts.   Gives him time to perfect his craft, fill out his frame and still contribute.  But he's a very promising late(r) round target.

- Bravvion Roy.  Honestly, could have gotten him late 6th maybe even the 7th.   People just don't value big bodies who are cheap and stop the run.   But we just signed a 25 year old in Billings who will be much needed, but much unheralded interior gap control to this defensive front.   We have a couple gap shooters in Jobi and Sheldon... might as well pair them up with a couple old school hogs in Billings and Roy.

- Dante Olson.   Honestly, haven't watched any film and had to read through some grades.   His was the only one that spoke highly of his instincts, anticipation and "processing".    Athletic traits are cool... but if you don't have those 3, you'll never make it in the NFL.

I'll follow up later with my Andrew Thomas was gone draft.

29 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Which one are using now then Ag ?

I've always used first-pick but happy to go elsewhere

I don't have another. I just find that one an unrealistic waste of my time. I'd rather waste it on other things.😂

New batch reported...

Mostly Thomas, but apparently a couple have us landing Simmons.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/isaiah-simmons-tied-to-the-browns-again-nfl-mock-draft-roundup-2020.html

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

New batch reported...

Mostly Thomas, but apparently a couple have us landing Simmons.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/isaiah-simmons-tied-to-the-browns-again-nfl-mock-draft-roundup-2020.html

Based on the experience of running the Board draft,  there seems a paucity of  MLBs available in this draft.   Besides Simmons perhaps...who is kind of a tweener, and Murray from OK....who are the first rounders,  plus Patrick Queen of LSU  who looks second round...you do not have that position in quantity  (even in the lower rounds).  So this move may not be surprising.    I jumped on Malik Harrison in round 3...which could be a good move for the Browns if he were available in the real draft.   Nevertheless, our desperation for a LT means taking one of them in round one seem imperative. 

Invitees to the virtual draft this year.

A.J. Epenesa, Iowa DE
A.J. Terrell, Clemson CB
Andrew Thomas, Georgia OT
Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota S
Austin Jackson, USC OT
Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State WR
C.J. Henderson, Florida CB
CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma WR
Cesar Ruiz, Michigan G
Chase Claypool, Notre Dame WR
Chase Young, Ohio State EDGE
Cole Kmet, Notre Dame TE
D'Andre Swift, Georgia RB
Denzel Mims, Baylor WR
Derrick Brown, Auburn DL
Ezra Cleveland, Boise State OT
Grant Delpit, LSU S
Henry Ruggs III, Alabama WR
Isaiah Simmons, Clemson LB
J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State RB
Jacob Eason, Washington QB
Jake Fromm, Georgia QB
Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma QB
Jalen Reagor, TCU WR
Javon Kinlaw, South Carolina DL
Jaylon Johnson, Utah CB
Jedrick Wills, Alabama OT
Jeffrey Okudah, Ohio State CB
Jerry Jeudy, Alabama WR
Joe Burrow, LSU QB
Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin RB
Jordan Love, Utah St. QB
Josh Jones, Houston OT
Josh Uche, Michigan LB
Julian Okwara, Notre Dame EDGE
Justin Herbert, Oregon QB
Justin Jefferson, LSU WR
Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M DT
K'Lavon Chaisson, LSU EDGE
Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma LB
Kristian Fulton, LSU CB
Laviska Shenault, Colorado WR
Lloyd Cushenberry, LSU G
Mekhi Becton, Louisville OT
Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma DT
Noah Igbinoghene, Auburn CB
Patrick Queen, LSU LB
Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn OT
Ross Blacklock, TCU DT
Tee Higgins, Clemson WR
Terrell Lewis, Alabama EDGE
Thaddeus Moss, LSU TE
Tristan Wirfs, Iowa OT
Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama QB
Xavier McKinney, Alabama S
Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State EDGE

This is just shooting out my ass but who isn't with less than 2 weeks until the draft? The key is this: If at least 3 Qbs are taken the first 9 picks we will stay at 10, because we will be guaranteed at least 1 of our top 2 rated OT. This is based on the the following players going before us: Burrow, Young, Simmons, Okudah, Tua (or Herbert), Love, Brown, and Kinlaw. If there is a surprise and one of these non-Qbs slide to us then we will stay at 10 and take that player.

If, however, only 2 Qbs are taken ahead of us, then that means it's likely that we will have most likely a shot at only are 3rd rated OT and that the non-Qbs above also won't be available to us. Not only that but there will still be a highly rated Qb on the board that some team will want to trade with us in order to get him. The combination of our 3rd rated OT vs. moving down a few slots and picking up more picks will be worth it at that point. 

So how many Qb go 1-9 will decide.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Barry said:

This is just shooting out my ass but who isn't with less than 2 weeks until the draft? The key is this: If at least 3 Qbs are taken the first 9 picks we will stay at 10, because we will be guaranteed at least 1 of our top 2 rated OT. This is based on the the following players going before us: Burrow, Young, Simmons, Okudah, Tua (or Herbert), Love, Brown, and Kinlaw. If there is a surprise and one of these non-Qbs slide to us then we will stay at 10 and take that player.

If, however, only 2 Qbs are taken ahead of us, then that means it's likely that we will have most likely a shot at only are 3rd rated OT and that the non-Qbs above also won't be available to us. Not only that but there will still be a highly rated Qb on the board that some team will want to trade with us in order to get him. The combination of our 3rd rated OT vs. moving down a few slots and picking up more picks will be worth it at that point. 

I am not really seeing many mocks where  Jordan Love is going in Top Ten.    A lot have  Burrows/Tua/Herbert.  

So, it could be 3 QBs in the Top 9...or it may be just  2....OR....maybe FOUR of them will go?   Doubtful....but you never know with QBs. 

2 hours ago, Barry said:

I like the way you think... and not just because I agree with you...

Well mostly for that reason actually... ;)

On 4/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, Tour2ma said:
On 4/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, calfoxwc said:

Confusing - now it looks like Thomas, Jones and Wills will be gone like a freight train before the fifteenth pick. 

Based on appraisal of the OT position, yes, but it's so much more complicated than that.

First there are the other positions to consider... If three QBs go in the  Top Ten, and It's likely they will (Burrow, Tua, Herbert)... add Young., Simmons and Okudah who are all Top Ten worthy... and you have 6 slots gone. That leaves three between us and our OT...

Add that while I love the value of Thomas and Jones at 10, I would not spend our #10 and #41 (or a future #1) to move up to take either. Obviously doesn't guarantee that no team will trade up for an OT, but at least the value in doing so is not obvious... at least to me.

So Jones at #15 is one of many possible scenarios. And that's what teams are busy doing now... creating various scenarios and rehearsing their reactions including feeling out other teams intentions and willingness to deal picks later this month.

Then it all depends on how the Draft unfolds in reality.

Best news? It's gonna be here before you know it.

• Like 1