THE BROWNS BOARD

Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland

Dutch Oven

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

farmers-national-bank-field.jpg

Screenshot_2020-03-02_102932.jpg

21 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

• Winners (1): 2010
  • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

• Winners (1): 2010
  • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018

I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      :lol:

.........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

.........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

In some cases, true. In other cases NOT!! Fastest  growing  sport in attendance,  up 50% in the last 4 years. I'd expect another quantum leap in 4 years when USA/Mexico/Canada host the World Cup. FWIW, the Atlanta and Seattle  MLS clubs already outdraw the MLB teams respectively.  If you want to talk about  a sport that's on the way out baseball is it. Tooo boring. If you want to go to  a game drink beer, and take a nap in the sun there's  your  sport.  Z isn't going to  like it,  but the soccer  fags are taking over. Its just  taking a  while for  America to  catch up with the  rest of the world.  

BTW, YSU may have paltry  attendance  for soccer,  but some colleges  are pulling in  10,000+ per game. 

It's kind of hard to find good soccer attendance information but here's one from the NCAA:  http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/2019-mens-soccer-record-book

And D-1 numbers:

Screenshot_2020-03-02_135349.jpg

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

It's kind of hard to find good soccer attendance information but here's one from the NCAA:  http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/2019-mens-soccer-record-book

And D-1 numbers:

Screenshot_2020-03-02_135349.jpg

Yeah- that's a far cry from FBS football, but it's not insignificant. Thing is, on the high school level soccer is already king- at least in participation. That's eventually going to translate into viewership 5-10 years down the road. If you have the interest, there's plenty of soccer to be watched already. English Premier League, and more.  

PS- regarding baseball- those insane salaries teams are handing out are just one more reason it's killing to sport. Decent seats are starting to rival NFL prices- and that's for 81 home games, not 8. 

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

You are not very good at geography.....Lodi is west of Akron.  You are east of Akron.Maybe it just that Youngstown is a media black hole and nothing west of Ravenna gets in there.    

Akron is a division 1 national power, even  if YOU have had your head in the sand, or where the sun don't shine.  Their soccer stadium seats  6000.   If they had to they could play in Infocision with 30K.      Is YSU even a D-1 program?  I mean...right...why would 200 people want to come watch their games?

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

In some cases, true. In other cases NOT!! Fastest  growing  sport in attendance,  up 50% in the last 4 years. I'd expect another quantum leap in 4 years when USA/Mexico/Canada host the World Cup. FWIW, the Atlanta and Seattle  MLS clubs already outdraw the MLB teams respectively.  If you want to talk about  a sport that's on the way out baseball is it. Tooo boring. If you want to go to  a game drink beer, and take a nap in the sun there's  your  sport.  Z isn't going to  like it,  but the soccer  fags are taking over. Its just  taking a  while for  America to  catch up with the  rest of the world.  

BTW, YSU may have paltry  attendance  for soccer,  but some colleges  are pulling in  10,000+ per game. 

You are being fatuous.  MLB plays 162 game.     MLS is like  football....it only plays a few games..    30 maybe?  15 home games?   So,  one or two MLS teams outdraw their MLB counterparts.  If MLS were as popular as you think...then EVERY MLS team would be outdrawing their MLB counterparts by a vast amount....like the NFL does....since there are such limited opportunities to see the teams.  

MLB:    average attendance of 30,042 (on 2,419 dates for a total of 72,670,423). 

MLS:  average attendance of 21,692,   The total attendance of 7,375,144.  

Call us when soccer gets 10% of what baseball gets.    Maybe that will be this year.....

Hell....in some of the high schools around here, (at least in my local school district)   Lacrosse is taking over for soccer

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200

Have they had to expand it since? :)

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Soccer is 20 times more boring than baseball.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Have they had to expand it since? :)

I haven't heard of any sellouts or scalping of the 200 seats right across the street from the 20,000 seat football stadium.  

The girls have done ok in the league they belong in......but no sellouts.  Soccer just hasn't hit the mainstream here yet I guess.  But it is popular in the high schools where tackle football is on the decline, kids don't want to do the work and parents are gun-shy. Oh well....

NCAA Lacrosse Tournaments attendance figures:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_lacrosse_champs_finals_records/2017/Attend.pdf

Lacrosse championship game attendance far exceeds soccer title game attendance.

The highest recorded attendance for soccer  championship games are listed below:[4]

• 22,512 – St. Louis (5) vs. SIU Edwardsville (1), Busch Stadium, St. Louis Oct. 30 1980
  • 21,319 – Wisconsin (1) vs. Portland (0) / Duke (3) vs. Virginia (2), Richmond, Virginia (NCAA semifinals) Dec. 8, 1995
  • 20,874 – St. John's (NY) (4) vs. FIU (1), Richmond, Virginia (NCAA final) Dec. 15, 1996
  • 20,703 – Wisconsin (2) vs. Duke (0), Richmond, Virginia (NCAA final) Dec. 10, 1995
  • 20,269 – St. John's (NY) (2) vs. Creighton (1) / FIU (4) vs. Charlotte (0), Richmond, Virginia (NCAA semifinals) Dec. 13, 1996
  • 20,143 – UCLA (2) vs. Virginia (0), Richmond, Virginia (NCAA final) Dec. 14, 1997
  • 20,112 – St. Louis (1) vs. SIU Edwardsville (0), Busch Stadium, St. Louis Nov. 9, 1973

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are not very good at geography.....Lodi is west of Akron.  You are east of Akron.Maybe it just that Youngstown is a media black hole and nothing west of Ravenna gets in there.    

Akron is a division 1 national power, even  if YOU have had your head in the sand, or where the sun don't shine.  Their soccer stadium seats  6000.   If they had to they could play in Infocision with 30K.      Is YSU even a D-1 program?  I mean...right...why would 200 people want to come watch their games?

Actually I am pretty good at geography but I like using the word Lodi just think of it as a radius thing.

And Youngstown or Boardman isn't a media black hole we have cable TV, high speed internet and all that good stuff and I'm a sports buff but honest to goodness I never heard that Akron was a D-1A champion in anything which is really nice especially since they were 0-12 in football this past year.

Since I was dabbling around the soccer thing I did pick up some facts UA seats 5,800 which is pretty good for soccer and more than most schools in the USA ever need. I was really surprised what the NCAA figures were on average attendance at soccer games the top 25 were in the 1,000-3,000 range still a niche sport......but growing.

And YSU is a top D-1AA football program (just ask the 49ers) and I hope they stay there and not expand the stadium and jump to the D1-A level and get lost on the bottom like others have done especially with tackle football facing some uncertain times.  Since all of the unsettling health news has come out about professional and lower ranks of football teams and injuries have been proven the participation and attendance is dropping.

Outside of the NFL and some of them might be getting shakey now isn't the best time to be building bigger stadiums.

Soccer is growing.... but still boring as hell to watch!   And I've tried WC, Olympics but still boring those 0-0, 1-0 games. -_-  Recess for big kids.    (no baseball comparisons needed, if you don't like it don't watch it)

I know we're beat this horse to death before and I don't want to start another pointless and endless debate on it.  There's the Americans who like soccer and the rest of us that don't.  :D

16 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Soccer is 20 times more boring than baseball.

That might be a stretch try 10x more boring.   :lol:

Recess for big kids.  Except some of the flopping is entertaining......and no we 'Mericans don't dislike our European friends especially the tackle football ones we just don't care for soccer that's all.   Now go ahead let the soccer vs football debate go on but no nasty stuff or Nero will start with those yellow cards !   :o

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

That might be a stretch try 10x more boring.   :lol:

Recess for big kids.  Except some of the flopping is entertaining......and no we 'Mericans don't dislike our European friends especially the tackle football ones we just don't care for soccer that's all.   Now go ahead let the soccer vs football debate go on but no nasty stuff or Nero will start with those yellow cards !   :o

Where is the debate?   This is The Browns Board.  It is an NFL football board.    If someone wants to start a Barcelona Board and talk soccer...they can do whatever Stan did originally to begin this thing, and they can then cater to the futbol crowd.  There may be the occasional soccer thread in the Barber Shop..where those can be relegated.

We need that not to happen here.  

Here, we are talking about the future of the Cleveland Browns Stadium situation.   Maybe, for now, until something new were to develop (in a few years), we are talked out on that subject.  

This is:  Unless you are a Cleveland area realtor  with about 200-300 acres for sale in Cuyahoga County.

Hey Zombo....are you licensed to sell real estate in Ohio?

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Where is the debate?   This is The Browns Board.  It is an NFL football board.    If someone wants to start a Barcelona Board and talk soccer...they can do whatever Stan did originally to begin this thing, and they can then cater to the futbol crowd.  There may be the occasional soccer thread in the Barber Shop..where those can be relegated.

That was a little tounge in cheek in a nice way these football vs soccer debates do pop up once in awhile and hopefully quickly go away.  My true feel on this is in the previous post:

.....I  know we're beat this horse to death before and I don't want to start another pointless and endless debate on it.  There's the Americans who like soccer and the rest of us that don't.  :D

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Here, we are talking about the future of the Cleveland Browns Stadium situation.   Maybe, for now, until something new were to develop (in a few years), we are talked out on that subject.  

This is:  Unless you are a Cleveland area realtor  with about 200-300 acres for sale in Cuyahoga County.

Or a realtor within city limits that can come up with 20-30 acres... 😁