THE BROWNS BOARD

Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland

Dutch Oven

Apparently Dan Gilbert was on 92.3 this morning, I had just missed his interview when I turned it on at 7:25am... From the interview, which Gilbert talked about the state of downtown Cleveland in relation to it's sports teams, Daryl Ruiter came up with a bold plan... What do you think of it?

1. Tear down CSU's Wolstein Center on the near east side of downtown. It has become somewhat of a white elephant.

2. Build a smaller, more intimate ballpark for the Indians. Think a 32,000-34,000 seat PNC Field. Upper deck that hugs the playing field, unlike Progressive Field. Half the amount of luxury boxes.

3. Tear down Progressive Field, build a new retractable dome for the Browns in its spot. Go after the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Big Ten Championship, etc... 

4. Tear down First Energy Stadium, develop (finally) the lakefront. Haslam has made a point a few times about how much money is poured into the stadium there because the damage it takes from being on the lakefront. This is a great piece of real estate, Cleveland needs to finally take advantage of its lakefront. 

What say you? 

And how are they (whomever) going to do the financing for all of this ?   

I do believe in looking ahead and creative thinking but are the CBS and Progressive beyond their useful lives ?

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I do believe in looking ahead and creative thinking but are the CBS and Progressive beyond their useful lives ?

The tax payers, of course! 

I would have asked Ruiter why the Browns new stadium couldn't have been built where the Wolstein Center is, eliminating the need for a new ballpark for the Indians. 

Sounds dumb to me...

I noticed that Gilbert commented on every franchise's home other than his.

I love the Jake...

I like that Browns Stadium was built on the site of old Muni...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Sounds dumb to me...

I love the Jake...

I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North. Then you add the fact that being on the lakefront makes it very expensive to maintain, and that prime real estate is wasted for 10 dates a year, plus the occasional concert. Having a retractable dome would open up the ability for Cleveland to host huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, etc... All that means more to me that this mediocre stadium sitting on the site of old Cleveland Stadium, IMO.... 

I would imagine the reason Gilbert didn't comment on the home of the Cavs is because the home of the Cavs just underwent an enormous facelift. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North. Then you add the fact that being on the lakefront makes it very expensive to maintain, and that prime real estate is wasted for 10 dates a year, plus the occasional concert. Having a retractable dome would open up the ability for Cleveland to host huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, etc... All that means more to me that this mediocre stadium sitting on the site of old Cleveland Stadium, IMO.... 

I would imagine the reason Gilbert didn't comment on the home of the Cavs is because the home of the Cavs just underwent an enormous facelift. 

And the Cavs are a pitiful team without LBJ.

THE BROWNS blew it not going with a retractable stadium when they replaced the Ol' Muni.....an expensive Mulligan now to build another stadium.

I like the idea of domed stadiums in the north (or retractable).  

I'm not going to games anymore.  Not interested in sweltering, freezing or getting soaked.....when I can watch it from my couch.

54 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Less for baseball and more for football? 

Hell yeah let's do it.

Jump in front of the inevitable decline in baseball and move it towards more football. Become a venue for cold weather games (bowls, XFL, etc)

Shut up soccer fag.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Apparently Dan Gilbert was on 92.3 this morning, I had just missed his interview when I turned it on at 7:25am... From the interview, which Gilbert talked about the state of downtown Cleveland in relation to it's sports teams, Daryl Ruiter came up with a bold plan... What do you think of it?

1. Tear down CSU's Wolstein Center on the near east side of downtown. It has become somewhat of a white elephant.

2. Build a smaller, more intimate ballpark for the Indians. Think a 32,000-34,000 seat PNC Field. Upper deck that hugs the playing field, unlike Progressive Field. Half the amount of luxury boxes.

3. Tear down Progressive Field, build a new retractable dome for the Browns in its spot. Go after the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Big Ten Championship, etc... 

4. Tear down First Energy Stadium, develop (finally) the lakefront. Haslam has made a point a few times about how much money is poured into the stadium there because the damage it takes from being on the lakefront. This is a great piece of real estate, Cleveland needs to finally take advantage of its lakefront. 

What say you? 

How many packs of smokes and bottles are you gonna tax?

tear downs $$

new builds $$$$$$

and you just put a ton of money in First energy and not too long ago the Prog the new scoreboard etc 

before they built first energy I was screaming for a dome for the very reasons brought up.  Super Bowl, NCAA other big events.  We doubled down and remodeled it now too.  
too late 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

How many packs of smokes and bottles are you gonna tax?

tear downs $$

new builds $$$$$$

and you just put a ton of money in First energy and not too long ago the Prog the new scoreboard etc 

before they built first energy I was screaming for a dome for the very reasons brought up.  Super Bowl, NCAA other big events.  We doubled down and remodeled it now too.  
too late 

I think it's a pipe dream too...

Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.

I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think it's a pipe dream too...

Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.

I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland. 

The tribes ballpark can last for another 50 or more years 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North.

Put a lid on that sucker and you guys will finally be able to see the greatest sport ever.....

Supercross baby. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Shut up soccer supercross fag.

............ and you guys think going across the middle is for tough guys. We think that's cute.

OMG!4-min.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Put a winning  team on the  field, and scew  the dome. Cold weather? New England,  Green Bay, Pittsburgh,  and Kansas  City. Any of  those cities  screaming  for a dome? Don't  think  so. Only  the wimps. It's  bullshit,  you can sit out in 10 degree weather  for hours and  be totally  comfortable- if you know  how to  dress  for it. 

FWIW, I've been  to several  domed venues.  If that's the  ambiance  you want,  I  suggest you stay home,  save your money,  and watch the game on the tube. Because that's what you  get. 

Domed stadium  for the Browns?  Just let Dan and Jimmy  toss in a billion each, and no problem.  That's the only way  it's  happening in Cleveland.  

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The tribes ballpark can last for another 50 or more years 

Yeah Gip, they  should  tear down those Fenway  and Wrigley mausoleums too. :D

• Upvote 1

I'll not argue that a retractable dome may bring Super Bowls & other events to Cleveland but, as a 73 year old Browns' Fan & Season Ticket Member, I prefer football played "in the elements". I really can't imagine sitting "inside" at a football game. It just doesn't seem natural to me.

Bottom line is that, no matter what, I'm all in as a Browns' Fan for the rest of my life.

Mike 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I'll not argue that a retractable dome may bring Super Bowls & other events to Cleveland but, as a 73 year old Browns' Fan & Season Ticket Member, I prefer football played "in the elements". I really can't imagine sitting "inside" at a football game. It just doesn't seem natural to me.

Bottom line is that, no matter what, I'm all in as a Browns' Fan for the rest of my life.

Mike 

Agree 100%. Dress for the tailgate and weather. Yeah, those windy days can be tough, but if we are still here after all the years of crap, we aren't going anywhere.

In 2007 I took my (at the time) 12 year old son to St. Louis to watch the Browns/Rams game. It was boring sitting in a dome.Felt like a movie theater.

Went to Jerry's Palace in 2012, Browns/Cowboys. While it's not a true "dome," it is pretty darn close. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with that stadium at all. I found myself looking at the giant TV too much (and bitching about Brandon Weeden lol...who throws a ball into the bleachers on 4th and goal from the 3?). 

Went to Phoenix this year, Browns/Cardinals. Funny, I completely agree they need a dome, it's way to hot down there, but once again, just an odd atmosphere. 

Our problem in Cleveland is simply our sports teams owners are all mixed up. Dolan needs to own an NBA or NFL team with a salary cap. Gilbert or Haslam should own the Tribe, they'd ante up for Lindor. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Agree 100%. Dress for the tailgate and weather. Yeah, those windy days can be tough, but if we are still here after all the years of crap, we aren't going anywhere.

In 2007 I took my (at the time) 12 year old son to St. Louis to watch the Browns/Rams game. It was boring sitting in a dome.Felt like a movie theater.

Went to Jerry's Palace in 2012, Browns/Cowboys. While it's not a true "dome," it is pretty darn close. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with that stadium at all. I found myself looking at the giant TV too much (and bitching about Brandon Weeden lol...who throws a ball into the bleachers on 4th and goal from the 3?). 

Went to Phoenix this year, Browns/Cardinals. Funny, I completely agree they need a dome, it's way to hot down there, but once again, just an odd atmosphere. 

Our problem in Cleveland is simply our sports teams owners are all mixed up. Dolan needs to own an NBA or NFL team with a salary cap. Gilbert or Haslam should own the Tribe, they'd ante up for Lindor. 

Great post Bob!! Your last statements about owners & Lindor are PERFECT!!

Mike

• Upvote 1

Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.

But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate. 

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sounds dumb to me...

I love the Jake...

Rather than ripping down Browns Stadium long before it's a fossil, couldn't they just add a retractable roof to it?  

If we're going to get really open-minded here,  why not bring Paul Brown's franchise here for the 8 games Cleveland plays away - so the football fans in Ohio finally have a chance to see 6-8 wins in the stadium on Lake Erie?     Paul Brown was the only good owner we've had and same with Cincy.  Cincy wanted to keep the orange and brown colors and tradition Paul started  so why not do so in the only place Paul Brown won multiple Pro Football Championships?  Cincy can change their name to the Ohio Junior Varsity.  

When Roger finally gets his dream of putting another NFL franchise in London or Toronto or Mexico - we can finally combine the 2 Ohio teams (that would already be playing here) and put Mike Brown/family out of their misery of tarnishing what Paul started.  That, or we could have a contest to see what ownership deserves the blended teams by then...  If they both keep on keepin on - let the owner's spouses mud wrestle for it.   Loser at least gets the money the winner has to pay in buy-out.  The Winner gets to keep playing Charlie Brown trying to kick the game winning points with Lucy holding.  The fans get to keep reminding themselves how much they appreciate Ohio State - where winning is a tradition!

1 minute ago, Flugel said:

Rather than ripping down Browns Stadium long before it's a fossil, couldn't they just add a retractable roof to it?  

If we're going to get really open-minded here,  why not bring Paul Brown's franchise here for the 8 games Cleveland plays away - so the football fans in Ohio finally have a chance to see 6-8 wins in the stadium on Lake Erie?     Paul Brown was the only good owner we've had and same with Cincy.  Cincy wanted to keep the orange and brown colors and tradition Paul started  so why not do so in the only place Paul Brown won multiple Pro Football Championships?  Cincy can change their name to the Ohio Junior Varsity.  

When Roger finally gets his dream of putting another NFL franchise in London or Toronto or Mexico - we can finally combine the 2 Ohio teams (that would already be playing here) and put Mike Brown/family out of their misery of tarnishing what Paul started.  That, or we could have a contest to see what ownership deserves the blended teams by then...  If they both keep on keepin on - let the owner's spouses mud wrestle for it.   Loser at least gets the money the winner has to pay in buy-out.  The Winner gets to keep playing Charlie Brown trying to kick the game winning points with Lucy holding.  The fans get to keep reminding themselves how much they appreciate Ohio State - where winning is a tradition!

FYI....Paul Brown was never the owner of the Cleveland Browns.

Owners

Person Teams From To Titles Notes
Arthur McBride Browns 1946 1952 Principal Owner  
David Jones Browns 1953 1960 Partial Owner, President/Majority Owner  
Ellis Ryan Browns 1953 1960 Partial Owner, President/Partial Owner  
Art Modell Browns 1961 1995 Principal Owner  
Al Lerner Browns 1999 2001 Principal Owner  
Randy Lerner Browns 2002 2011 Principal Owner, Principal Owner/President  
Jimmy Haslam III Browns 2012 2019 Principal Owner

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

FYI....Paul Brown was never the owner of the Cleveland Browns.

Owners

Person Teams From To Titles Notes
Arthur McBride Browns 1946 1952 Principal Owner  
David Jones Browns 1953 1960 Partial Owner, President/Majority Owner  
Ellis Ryan Browns 1953 1960 Partial Owner, President/Partial Owner  
Art Modell Browns 1961 1995 Principal Owner  
Al Lerner Browns 1999 2001 Principal Owner  
Randy Lerner Browns 2002 2011 Principal Owner, Principal Owner/President  
Jimmy Haslam III Browns 2012 2019 Principal Owner

Come on Gipper - I was on the same roll Belushi was on in Animal House.  And btw nobody ever answered his question - "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pear Harbor?"

For some absurd reason, I thought he once owned/partially owned the team before/when it first joined the NFL (long before Modell arrived).  I miss the days when I didn't have to think about who the owners were.  Last week, feels like such a long time ago.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.

But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate. 

The outdoor vs dome/retractable stadium talk is about drawing other venues to a football stadium besides two preseason games and eight regular season games in 365 days a year.

Fan and player comfort is just nice if you have a rare 0° day with 25 mph winds or maybe torrential rain.

Also the joint football/baseball stadiums are gone forever.........unless Al Davis rises out of his grave just to piss us all off again.   :lol: