THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns Hire Asshat Grigson Back As Consultant!

nickers

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

"The exact nature of Grigson’s role is unknown. He does have GM experience and knows Berry, so he could have value as a sounding board and mentor for the precocious new head of the Browns operations. Based on his career as a talent evaluator, Grigson probably shouldn’t have much to do with actual scouting or decision-making."

He's only going to be one voice in the room anyway when it comes to talent evaluation- I'm sure everyone else there is well aware of the Trent Richardson fiasco, and him forgetting a decent OL was a good idea, instead of sending Andrew Luck into early retirement. 

aka 'another voice in the room'.. I listened to a Joe Schobert interview yesterday on nfl radio..joe has 2 daughters & expecting a 3rd any day now. gender they never know. He spoke like the browns were already in his past. Still works out in facility, but said Berry is scrambling getting staffs set-up but has been in contact with Joe's agent.. I say this, to say this..

As we all know this time of year, we will certainly get nothing much from a GM on their future plans.. GM's have to be more careful leaking talks to players agents. But they happen & some on purpose & Eliot Wolfe was JD's right hand man at this... kinda leads me to why a person like Grigson was maybe needed now by Berry? If your a few million short on getting Schobert signed? How could Berry get any straight answers from that same agent on any of his other LB's that are possibly available & real cost? am not saying Grigson was the right guy by no means, but am guessing Grigson still knows most these agents to get some FA & pro personal leads.. Sounds to me, Berry has had a full plate & knows the Combine is where Deals illegally get done.. or lots just don't.. we shall see.. and btw, Happy Valentines Day Gents...Now go play Cupid  💘   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

aka 'another voice in the room'.. I listened to a Joe Schobert interview yesterday on nfl radio..joe has 2 daughters & expecting a 3rd any day now. gender they never know. He spoke like the browns were already in his past. Still works out in facility, but said Berry is scrambling getting staffs set-up but has been in contact with Joe's agent.. I say this, to say this..

As we all know this time of year, we will certainly get nothing much from a GM on their future plans.. GM's have to be more careful leaking talks to players agents. But they happen & some on purpose & Eliot Wolfe was JD's right hand man at this... kinda leads me to why a person like Grigson was maybe needed now by Berry? If your a few million short on getting Schobert signed? How could Berry get any straight answers from that same agent on any of his other LB's that are possibly available & real cost? am not saying Grigson was the right guy by no means, but am guessing Grigson still knows most these agents to get some FA & pro personal leads.. Sounds to me, Berry has had a full plate & knows the Combine is where Deals illegally get done.. or lots just don't.. we shall see.. and btw, Happy Valentines Day Gents...Now go play Cupid  💘   

You're right Gum. We really don't know what Grigson will be doing or what strengths of his may be utilized & how, so I'll just take a wait & see on all these happenings.

Mike

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

I read of the Leonids back then.  Three doctors went on a camping tips (I wanna say upstate NY).  One of 'em had to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak (naturally, right) and he noticed the tent seemed to be oddly glowing.  He went outside and saw that amazing spectacle.   He woke the other two and they all watched it.  (that can happen on 33 year cycles I believe, when the head of the comet is coming by and you're in the right spot on the globe)  -  They went into the town the next day and the townspeople were quite confused and somewhat frightened.  So they explained what it was.

When my son was young his friend happened to have a sleep over at our house, on a Saturday, the night of the Leonids, and it was clear.  So I set up reclining lawn chairs outside and around midnight we went out there with blankets (sleeping bags) and watched.  I pointed to show them Jupiter and just when they looked, a streak went right by Jupiter (the first one they ever saw)!   And shortly after my son's friend pointed and said "Look!"  -  It was an earth grazer blazing across the sky.  Way cool!   Best meteor I've ever seen.

As for Betelgeuse, supposedly it's not gonna be going supernova in our lifetime.  Perhaps not for another hundred thousand years.  But it IS acting quite strange...dimming more this time than in recorded history...so there's an outside chance.  It would be beyond great if it did go boom.  But remember, the constellation of Orion would never look the same.  Eventually, (a few months?) Orion's right shoulder would be gone to the naked eye.  - Would we have to say that the scorpion did it?  :)

What am I doing up at 2:15 in the morning you ask?  My band played a show until 12:35am.  My ears are still ringing and I'm wide awake.  ( we're too old now for late shows like this )  :)

...now back to your regularly scheduled Browns stuff.  Go Browns!

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I read of the Leonids back then.

I was filling up at gas station and happened to be looking towards Austin in Nov. 2018 when this one came out of the Leonids. Much more spectacular when you see it in the open air rather than through the windshield. It really lit up the sky.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

Or you can just ask Attorney Google.    :lol:

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

OK, consider your self paid.  What is your answer. 

Go down to your local Wadsworth convenient store, grab a 20 oz pop and a bag of chips, and as you are walking out the door tell the cashier:

"Consider yourself paid."

Come back here and tell us how that worked out for you. 😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

happened to be looking towards Austin in Nov. 2018 when this one came out of the Leonids

Yeah baby!  That was a good one to see!  You never know what you're gonna see.  If you're a captive audience at the gas pump...then why not take a look up?  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Yeah baby!  That was a good one to see!  You never know what you're gonna see.  If you're a captive audience at the gas pump...then why not take a look up?  

We were lucky enough to see a major fireball at a night  HS football  game. The band was doing a halftime  show with the lights  turned off. We thought  they had  turned the  lights  back on.  Nope, a sight  I'll never forget. Lit the place  up like  daytime and had to be at least -12 magnitude.  For the non astronomers out there brighter than the full moon.  

A little aside- I  read somewhere the small asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was probably  as bright as the  noon day sun right before  it hit. Um, we don't  want to  see  one of those.  

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

We were lucky enough to see a major fireball at a night  HS football  game. The band was doing a halftime  show with the lights  turned off. We thought  they had  turned the  lights  back on.  Nope, a sight  I'll never forget. Lit the place  up like  daytime and had to be at least -12 magnitude.  For the non astronomers out there brighter than the full moon.  

A little aside- I  read somewhere the small asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was probably  as bright as the  noon day sun right before  it hit. Um, we don't  want to  see  one of those.  

I saw the perseid meteor showers on a moonlit January night when I was a kid.. it was awesome!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

That dino killing "small" asteroid likely had it's nose on the ground and it's tail 6 or more miles high into the stratosphere on impact.

https://www.activewild.com/how-big-was-the-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Go down to your local Wadsworth convenient store, grab a 20 oz pop and a bag of chips, and as you are walking out the door tell the cashier:

"Consider yourself paid."

Come back here and tell us how that worked out for you. 😁

You are the one that I was going to buy lunch for at Al's in Barberton.  All you had to do was come up Van Buren from Canal Fulton. But, you never did.  

So, clearly it is not about the money for you...if you can't even take a free lunch when its offered.  Now its too late.  I gave up my office there.  

19 hours ago, hoorta said:

Beyond a doubt- this sort of stuff seriously concerns me.  

Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

Well, it may have happed 20,000 years ago and we are about to see the results.  I like astronomy as well.  I still have a nice 80mm Meade refractor I still pull out in cooler weather.  I had a 10" Schmidt Cassigrain, but donated that to the local astronomy club maybe 5 years ago.  It has full computer assist.  Just set it, GPS does the rest.  Plug in M-81 and you are following as long as you want.  It was just heavy to lug around.  I still go to Clarence Jones observatory for lectures.  It is part of UTC….Tennessee Chattanooga.  The observatory has a 20.5" primary mirror.  It was one of the test mirrors before the 200" Hale mirror was poured.  You get some pretty impressive views despite light pollution.  It was out in the country when built in the 30's.  Efforts are under consideration to move another 20 miles out of town.  It is a magnificent telescope.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Well, it may have happed 20,000 years ago and we are about to see the results.  I like astronomy as well.  I still have a nice 80mm Meade refractor I still pull out in cooler weather.  I had a 10" Schmidt Cassigrain, but donated that to the local astronomy club maybe 5 years ago.  It has full computer assist.  Just set it, GPS does the rest.  Plug in M-81 and you are following as long as you want.  It was just heavy to lug around.  I still go to Clarence Jones observatory for lectures.  It is part of UTC….Tennessee Chattanooga.  The observatory has a 20.5" primary mirror.  It was one of the test mirrors before the 200" Hale mirror was poured.  You get some pretty impressive views despite light pollution.  It was out in the country when built in the 30's.  Efforts are under consideration to move another 20 miles out of town.  It is a magnificent telescope.

:) As they say, the best telescope is the one you use. Totally understand not wanting to drag a 10" scope out just to use it. I have to say I got spoiled looking through the Clubs 12" & 16" reflectors at a semi dark site. Then go to a Star Party in the middle of nowhere out in Nebraska with the limiting magnitude below 6, and start looking through the really big scopes guys have- well. Jupiter was so bright looking through a guys 24" Obsession- it was enough to hurt your eyes. And you could actuality see color in the Triffid Nebula in another 36" reflector. 

FWIW, I have an old 4" Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain that I can haul around when I'm travelling- the biggest 'scope that will fit in an overhead bin on a plane, (took it to Curacao for the 1998 solar eclipse) and an even older 6" f\10 reflector that has diffraction limited optics I built from scratch way back in the 60s. 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Just to put you all out of your collective misery.....the 1974 Steeler draft had 4 Hall of Famers come out of it.   More than any other draft class by one team in history:    Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, and...Mel Blount, I think....not sure about that last one. 

& why should I reply to  something that I already know the answer to?   :)  FWIW, the other was John Stallworth- and a lot of non Steeler fans can raise a serious stink Swann and Stallworth aren't worthy because of mediocre career stats. They only got in because Myron Cope was on a mission to get every Steeler that played in the 70s in the HOF. I'm surprised Rocky Blier isn't in yet.  :D 

I've said for years, Clay Matthews would have been in the HOF decades ago if he had played for the Steelers and not the Browns.  

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

& why should I reply to  something that I already know the answer to? 

Because it is a trivia question and the point of a trivia question is to give the answer if you know it.    You would make a poor Jeopardy contestant if the only questions you wanted to answer were those that you did NOT know the answer to. 

:)  FWIW, the other was John Stallworth- and a lot of non Steeler fans can raise a serious stink Swann and Stallworth aren't worthy because of mediocre career stats. They only got in because Myron Cope was on a mission to get every Steeler that played in the 70s in the HOF. I'm surprised Rocky Blier isn't in yet.  :D 

I was thinking Stallworth, but then I thought....wait....2WRs?  It didn't seem right. 

I've said for years, Clay Matthews would have been in the HOF decades ago if he had played for the Steelers and not the Browns.  

Or, if the Browns had pulled out a couple of Super Bowl appearances when he was here, that would have helped a lot.   I DO think that some of the voters just discount any player whose team never won (or went to) a Super Bowl.

28 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

When is Warp Drive going to be invented?

They're going to have to hurry up- According to the Star Trek TNG movie "First Contact" Zefrem Coltraine invented warp drive in the late 21st century. (It's one of the better ST movies BTW) 

We're already way behind in Trek chronology, Kahn and his genetically modified humans, and the first manned mission to Saturn already should have happened by now. 

That said, I plunked down my $6 bucks a month for CBS all access and bought a Fire Stick for the TV to watch "Picard" and it hasn't disappointed. The special effects there make the original stuff back in the Shatner era look almost comical. FWIW, I own the complete collection of the original series on DVD. I've watched every one of them at least once, and several a couple dozen times each, like "Balance of Terror", "Return of the Arcons", and "Arena". Of course "The Devil in the Dark" Where you get to meet the Horta. :) 

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

They're going to have to hurry up- According to the Star Trek TNG movie "First Contact" Zefrem Coltraine invented warp drive in the late 21st century. (It's one of the better ST movies BTW) 

Were already way behind in Trek chronology, Kahn and his genetically modified humans, and the first manned mission to Saturn already should have happened by now. 

That said, I plunked down my $6 bucks a month for CBS all access and bought a Fire Stick for the TV to watch "Picard" and it hasn't disappointed. The special effects there make the original stuff back in the Shatner era look almost comical. FWIW, I own the complete collection of the original series on DVD.  :) 

But we do have the flip flop communicators....which are passe by now.  And talking computers.  It would not surprise me on bit if the military has not already invented some kind of  phaser gun...something that shoots something besides bullets. And others, no?

https://www.popsci.com/6-techs-seen-on-star-trek-available-today/

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

But we do have the flip flop communicators....which are passe by now.  And talking computers.  It would not surprise me on bit if the military has not already invented some kind of  phaser gun...something that shoots something besides bullets. And others, no?

https://www.popsci.com/6-techs-seen-on-star-trek-available-today/

Supposedly the military already has satellite killing laser satellites... 

Some of the stuff may never happen.  I suppose breaking the light barrier may be nice, but according to Einstien- time would go backwards if you accomplished the feat. Consider the fastest we've ever traveled so far- the New Horizons spacecraft made it up to 10 miles\second at launch, but the speed of light- 186,000 miles\second is many orders of magnitude away. And even if you got up to that speed, it would still take you four years to get to Alpha Centauri, the nearest star. Using a transporter- "beam me up Scottie"?  Well mass and energy are interchangeable. But ya know E=MC2?  It only takes an itty bitty amount of mass to create one hell of a lot of energy. Like a couple pounds of lithium dihidride for a 50 megaton explosion. So converting a 100 kilogram (220 pound) human into energy you'd have the equivalent of 5,000 megatons worth of energy you'd have to contain- and figure out how to transport it across space and then be able to convert it back into mass without blowing your transporter into another dimension. :)  

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Probably never.

It won't  happen in  our lifetime,  but don't  be so negative.  Only a couple  hundred years ago, the idea of airplanes was scoffed at.  Sure, the space/time Relativity problem is there but who's to say someday  someone  won't be able to solve it? 

The technology advances I've seen in my lifetime are astounding.  Guys are doing  astrophotography in their back yards now that surpasses anything that the Hale telescope  was doing  back in the 60s. Finding  exoplanets  was considered fantasy  back then too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hoorta said:

It won't  happen in  our lifetime,  but don't  be so negative.  Only a couple  hundred years ago, the idea of airplanes was scoffed at.  Sure, the space/time Relativity problem is there but who's to say someday  someone  won't be able to solve it? 

The technology advances I've seen in my lifetime are astounding.  Guys are doing  astrophotography in their back yards now that surpasses anything that the Hale telescope  was doing  back in the 60s. Finding  exoplanets  was considered fantasy  back then too. 

3D Printing and Nano technologies are the way to the future , also.. AI is evolving at an ever fast exponential rate..

• Like 1