THE BROWNS BOARD

Myles Garrett Reinstated

nickers

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

It was highly likely he said something, but highly unlikely it was the N word.

Louder?

It was loud enough...

It was my incredulity at your ability to divine degrees of likelihood spilling out.

• Haha 2

After the game, Garrett said that Rudolph used the 'N' word.  - In for a penny, in for a pound.  Just because some tmz interviewer asked him again 4 months later, he wasn't gonna say, 'Nah, I made that up.'  Whether he DID make it up or not.

It certainly is possible that nobody else heard it said.  While the two guys were on the ground and Mason was trying to rip Garrett's helmet off would've been the 'heat of the moment' time that it would've been said.

Garrett seems like an awfully nice guy, though I obviously do not know him.  I'm going to believe him.

What we have is a He said She said thing here.  (ok, he said, he said)  We're never going to know unless the liar comes clean.  And I certainly wouldn't want some judge who thinks he posses divine powers to start dreaming up ways why HE knows who said what!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It was my incredulity at your ability to divine degrees of likelihood spilling out.

I did not see your post while I was typing mine........but we were both on that 'divine' concept.

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

OK- I've had it- any more off topic name calling, and guys are going to start getting penalty points and kiddie timeouts. Grow the hell up, I want to see some semi intelligent discussion- and this thread has devolved into some schoolyard taunting for the most part. I don't give a rat's ass who started it. 

Well, you should give a rats ass who starts it.  And I know that you know who usually does.

Other than retaliation the recipient of name calling/taunting has two choices, either shut up and take it or squeal to the moderators. Which do you prefer he does?

You're not a moderator, what would you do?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It was loud enough...

What the fuck are you babbling about now?

The concept of likelihood/ unlikelihood is always derived from facts.  The fact that no one heard him use a racial slur,  coupled with the fact that Rudolf has never been known to display racist behavior. Plus the fact that he had played with blacks all his life, and the fact that this wasn't the first time he had been sacked by a black man. Therefore it would have been unlikely for a guy like Rudulof to have used the N word.

Why do you have a problem with that?

58 minutes ago, Orion said:

After the game, Garrett said that Rudolph used the 'N' word.  - In for a penny, in for a pound.  Just because some tmz interviewer asked him again 4 months later, he wasn't gonna say, 'Nah, I made that up.'  Whether he DID make it up or not.

It certainly is possible that nobody else heard it said.  While the two guys were on the ground and Mason was trying to rip Garrett's helmet off would've been the 'heat of the moment' time that it would've been said.

Garrett seems like an awfully nice guy, though I obviously do not know him.  I'm going to believe him.

What we have is a He said She said thing here.  (ok, he said, he said)  We're never going to know unless the liar comes clean.  And I certainly wouldn't want some judge who thinks he posses divine powers to start dreaming up ways why HE knows who said what!

Well....that is not how it works.   I agree that this should never be placed in the hands of a judge.....but IF for some reason it were....If he/she were obligated to make a decision on it  (which is what judges are obligated to do).....it is not divine powers....it is the application of those principles I outlined some above.     If it were placed in the hands of a judge.....then it would be like some of those replays:   insufficient (visual or otherwise)...evidence to make a ruling.   That is why Rudolph would be an asshat to actually try to bring an action on this matter.    It would just be his way of grandstanding.   A nobody   (or at least...just a 3rd stringer)  wanting to keep his name in the news.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gorka said:

The concept of likelihood/ unlikelihood is always derived from facts.  The fact that no one heard him use a racial slur,  coupled with the fact that Rudolf has never been known to display racist behavior. Plus the fact that he had played with blacks all his life, and the fact that this wasn't the first time he had been sacked by a black man. Therefore it would have been unlikely for a guy like Rudulof to have used the N word.

Fair arguments....but then all those same arguments apply to the counter case.    You have no better of a case at calling Garrett a liar than anyone has at calling Rudolph a liar. 

On the other hand you DO have a reputation on here of exhibiting racist behavior, and of excusing racist behavior.  Ergo, simply by you being the person to make his argument taints that argument. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gorka said:

Well, you should give a rats ass who starts it.  And I know that you know who usually does.

Other than retaliation the recipient of name calling/taunting has two choices, either shut up and take it or squeal to the moderators. Which do you prefer he does?

You're not a moderator, what would you do?

Wah, wah, wah he started it. Go back to the  Poli board and call him whatever name you want to. 

FWIW, in case you don't  know,  me and Zombo ARE the primary Moderators on the Browns Forum, and I  run one hell of a lot tighter  ship  than Steve does on the Poli board.  So kindly  keep  politics separated from  football.  I take a damn dim view of off topic  personal  attacks, when you  stoop to that level, you've already  lost the argument.  

Both of you can can the crap, or I'll  kick both of you  off for a week.  GOT IT?

You're  all butthurt, aw gee Dutch is baiting  you? I  already  deleted one of Dutch's posts. So boo hoo. He's on the same zero  tolerance alert. So Suck it up,  and grow up. 

I think that Mason could easily have whispered him to his ear and no mic in the world would have picked it up, even less the players around, simply because those helmets are heavy and they make a lot of sound when clashing each other. They're moving the whole time, breathing heavily... I'm no sound engineer but there's a lot of noise and movement to get a irrefutable proof out of that. 

I never understood the argument "why did nobody hear it?" because being head to head wearing helmets is pretty easy to get something like that without nobody hearing it. 

I'd say that though I kind of believe Myles - it was out of character for him, calm guy, you almost don't win anything mentioning it because there's no proof...- it's a "he said, he said" case like Orion said.

NFL hasn't made a statement in either direction, but I'd say that there must be a hint of doubt or something. Some of the homers here will go ballistic, but 6 games aren't that much of a penalty for a player that hit another one witha 6lb helmet in the f***ing head. He could have killed him. Period. I expected him being suspended some games this year, and him being reinstated now means to me that at least there's some truth to what Myles said. 

Him mentioning it now again is something that will happen over and over. Journalist HAS to ask for it, as it was part of the story, and he has to be true to his words. Anyway, as nothing can be proved, I would prefer him saying that "he already said what he had to say" and try to move on. We are getting nowhere with this. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Nero said:

Anyway, as nothing can be proved, I would prefer him saying that "he already said what he had to say" and try to move on. We are getting nowhere with this. 

Yep. Nothing more to see here. Next question please.👍

Lol...Garrett’s interview he’s asked how he feels about being reinstated.. he says “I was hoping for it, so I was kinda speaking it and thinking it into existence.”

That's right Myles, just like you were thinking and speaking into existence that Rudolf used a racial slur.

The more a lie is repeated, the more it is believed.

20 hours ago, Gorka said:

First, I'm the one babbling?

Second, I suspected that you have a higher opinion of your powers of deductive reasoning than I do, but since you dropped the use of "highly" in restating your case I now suspect we share the same opinion.

Just now, Tour2ma said:

You could always just click on the "Report Post" link.

Well yeah, but that is what I meant by squealing. Even if it confidential, I could never bring myself to click on it.

I prefer rubbing these peoples noses in their own poop.

But Hoorta ruins the all the fun. LOL

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First, I'm the one babbling?

Second, I suspected that you have a higher opinion of your powers of deductive reasoning than I do, but since you dropped the use of "highly" in restating your case I now suspect we share the same opinion.

Yes. Who else? You  just affirmed in your follow up statement that you share my opinion.

OK so lets se if I got this right. You were quibbling over my use of the phrase "highly unlikely", and because I had omitted "highly" in my explanation is what did it for you..that you now share the same opinion I do. 

Don't you have something more productive you can be doing?

• Haha 1

Missed a few days on this thread and missed a lot. Good arguments up in here. 

I kinda agree with a point Nickers made. Garrett has to let it go. He can’t allow a guy like Rudolph to have that power over him. Sticks and stones is a really early lesson in life. I’m all for the bigots of the world being put in their place, but step one is to not make it easy on them. Words are easy.  

I have an experience to share. Mid 90s, l’m in college, and someone rigged a computer lab to read racial slurs across banks of computers. There was outrage. Protests ensued. State highways were blocked from passage for vehicles. 

It turns out it was an African American student who did it. A letdown ensued. Why do such a thing?

And l don’t know that answer, but l do know we all left our shells for a bit and did things we wouldn’t normally do. It was rainy and cold that day. Even unconfident me brazenly put my jacket around an underdressed girl l didn’t even know and it went surprisingly well. And that’s just a microcosm. The envelope was pushed that day. Conversations were had for weeks and months afterward, just like this one.

We get to push this from our periphery, hash it out, and hopefully arrive at a better place than where we started. That’s what matters.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Wow. I must’ve said that to a dozen people on this board and no one takes me seriously enough to respond, rightfully so. I don’t even have a come back for this. I need to up my game.

I suppose it's because I haven't paid much attention to what you say.

Sorry.