THE BROWNS BOARD

Our current free agents.....

LBC mike

19 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

Be interesting if the Browns want to keep Schobert- he's on record he wants to stay.  Tour may not agree, but I say put a second round tender on Hunt, instead of original round (3rd) costs an extra million if no one else is interested. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Unrestricted Free Agent
These are players who the Browns have no roster control over, other than exclusive negotiating rights up until a few days before free agency.

QB Drew Stanton
WR Rashard Higgins
LT Greg Robinson
MLB Joe Schobert
S Damarious Randall
S Juston Burris
S Eric Murray

Let them all hit the market.

Restricted Free Agent
These are for players who have at least three years of accrued service in the NFL (i.e. 6 games or more on the roster or IR). The Browns can choose to place a 1st round tender, 2nd round tender, or original round tender on each player.

Over the Cap estimates the 2020 tenders to be $4.667 million for the 1st round tender, $3.278 million for the 2nd round tender, and $2.144 million for original round tenders. Another team can sign a player with a tender, but they would owe that team the corresponding draft pick if the team opts not to match the offer. If these players are not tendered by the start of free agency, they revert to unrestricted free agents.

RB Kareem Hunt
TE Ricky Seals-Jones
OT Justin McCray
DE Bryan Cox

Put a First Round tender on Hunt. Re-sign Jones and Cox. Justin can walk.

Exclusive-Rights Free Agent
The ERFA label applies to players who have less than three accrued seasons in the NFL (i.e. 6 games or more on the roster or IR). Under the ERFA rules, the Browns could offer these players a one-year, minimum salary tender for $510,000, $585,000, or $660,000 based on credited seasons (i.e. 3 games or more on the roster, but not including IR) (i.e. in the league. If the Browns make an offer to an ERFA, no other team would be able to sign the player.

RB Dontrell Hilliard
WR KhaDarel Hodge
TE Pharaoh Brown

Bring back all three

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Comeonman said:

Definitely don’t want to see Hunt, Randall or Shobert walk

Beat me to it- Hunt will definitely be tendered, only question is at what level, and if other teams offer him a contract- will the Browns match, or just be happy to take the draft pick?  

I’d rather see what’s out there then overpaying or even getting a discount for Randall.

Joe Show flashed big time in some games played pretty average in others.  I believe we will now have to seriously compete with other offers.  Anything crazy or Top 3 type money for that position and I let him walk.

Kareem Hunt should be kept.

Seals Jones is more reliable than Njoku he stays 

Cox is good depth piece.  He should be more productive second go round than a rookie or any other FA at his level.

I give Burris and Hollywood fair offers too

....all else time to move on

I'd like to see what Stefanski's mob could do with Higgins. He showed some promise until Freddie got a hold of him.

I'd like to keep Hunt until he gets himself kicked out-a the league again.  He was good and a real team player last year.

Schobert is pretty good.  He's a good pass defender for a MLB.  (I'm not a fan of creating needs during the offseason)

Randall is fairly good...but he's not fast.

Ricky Lee Jones showed a flash or two but I bet Njoku gets new life.  (Njoku's another guy that Freddie refused to use.  He and Higgins could make Freddie look pretty dumb if they were to go on and have good seasons for us.  I think the first rounder gets a good look by the new coaches but I fear that Higgins could be allowed to walk.   - when ya threw the ball at Higgins, he usually caught it.  I like guys that catch the ball)

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I'd like to see what Stefanski's mob could do with Higgins. He showed some promise until Freddie got a hold of him.

I'd like to keep Hunt until he gets himself kicked out-a the league again.  He was good and a real team player last year.

Schobert is pretty good.  He's a good pass defender for a MLB.  (I'm not a fan of creating needs during the offseason)

Randall is fairly good...but he's not fast.

Ricky Lee Jones showed a flash or two but I bet Njoku gets new life.  (Njoku's another guy that Freddie refused to use.  He and Higgins could make Freddie look pretty dumb if they were to go on and have good seasons for us.  I think the first rounder gets a good look by the new coaches but I fear that Higgins could be allowed to walk.   - when ya threw the ball at Higgins, he usually caught it.  I like guys that catch the ball)

Ricky Lee Jones?  Do we have a Tight End named Chuck E. ?

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Beat me to it- Hunt will definitely be tendered, only question is at what level, and if other teams offer him a contract- will the Browns match, or just be happy to take the draft pick?  

I would put a 2nd on him to help make it easy for a team to bite.  I take the pick.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

MLB Joe Schobert
S Damarious Randall

So, what is it about those two where you say they can come or go?

I'm OK with letting them hit the market. The damage is done, they should have been re-signed last year. Now you gotta overpay for them pre-free agency compared to what you may find in free agency or the draft.  Let them free, and if we don't replace them right away, or the market softens on them, we can re-sign them.

I expect to be thin at both positions heading into free agency, doesn't mean we need to keep these guys at all cost. We may find MLB that Woods really wants, or a safety that can do Randall's job as good or better.

Another position of need will be OLB if Woods actually uses a third linebacker, Wilks rarely did.

I think Wilson is one starter, and we'll see how high these guys are on Taki Taki, not everyone was as much as our last front office.

Zombo

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Zombo said:

The damage is done, they should have been re-signed last year.   Now you gotta overpay for them

Yes.  Well said.  But then, that's free agency....overpaying.    ie,  if you sell your house in a seller's market that's good....if you don't have to buy another one.  If you do, then it's a wash.

If the decision is that these guys are NOT worth the money, then so be it.  But if we replace them with guys that are cheaper AND not as good then where is the value?  Again, I do not like creating needs in the offseason.  There's gotta be GOOD reasoning behind it.  

• Upvote 1

We are starting to see a whole new crew from top to bottam at work, so we'll just have to learn how they handle things as far as signings, cuts, free agency, & the draft go.

Here are my thoughts....Canton Mike

Mike

On 2/11/2020 at 3:02 PM, Zombo said:

Unrestricted Free Agent
These are players who the Browns have no roster control over, other than exclusive negotiating rights up until a few days before free agency.

QB Drew Stanton
WR Rashard Higgins
LT Greg Robinson
MLB Joe Schobert
S Damarious Randall
S Juston Burris
S Eric Murray

Man.... they traded a number 33 pick in the 2nd round in Ogbah for Eric Murray and they don't even have control over him. WTF. 

On 2/12/2020 at 8:41 AM, Zombo said:

I'm OK with letting them hit the market. The damage is done, they should have been re-signed last year. Now you gotta overpay for them pre-free agency compared to what you may find in free agency or the draft.  Let them free, and if we don't replace them right away, or the market softens on them, we can re-sign them.

I expect to be thin at both positions heading into free agency, doesn't mean we need to keep these guys at all cost. We may find MLB that Woods really wants, or a safety that can do Randall's job as good or better.

Another position of need will be OLB if Woods actually uses a third linebacker, Wilks rarely did.

I think Wilson is one starter, and we'll see how high these guys are on Taki Taki, not everyone was as much as our last front office.

Zombo

I'll  agree with  Orion about  Schobert. If we can retain  him on a reasonable contract, I'm  all  for it. Ticky-taki hasn't  shown  much, and Kirksey is always  hurt. Why create  another  hole in a position  that's already  below league  average? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Cut Vernon and Kirskey saving $20 million. Pay Schobert. My work here is done. Lol

Edge rushers aren't fun to find, but we can't pay Vernon $15 mill. Maybe he'll restructure, but doubtful. 

On 2/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Cut Vernon and Kirskey saving $20 million. Pay Schobert. My work here is done. Lol

Edge rushers aren't fun to find, but we can't pay Vernon $15 mill. Maybe he'll restructure, but doubtful. 

Vernon and Kirksey will be gone.

As will OT Hubbard, G Kush, S Burnett and CB Carrie.

They all make more than they are worth.

Z

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Vernon and Kirksey will be gone.

As will OT Hubbard, G Kush, S Burnett and CB Carrie.

They all make more than they are worth.

Z

Well, how about that ... Carrie and Kush released today. Along with TE Demerrius Harris and LB Adarius Taylor.

Z

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Well, how about that ... Carrie and Kush released today. Along with TE Demerrius Harris and LB Adarius Taylor.

Z

We saw the last incomplete skinny post inside the red zone to a double covered Harris with OBJ singled up and Chubb uncovered in the flat.

Although I’m not too thrilled that we lost a corner that dressed each Sunday and had the best hammies of the group

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

We saw the last incomplete skinny post inside the red zone to a double covered Harris with OBJ singled up and Chubb uncovered in the flat.

Although I’m not too thrilled that we lost a corner that dressed each Sunday and had the best hammies of the group

Best hammies, worst contract.

Z

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102223/article/browns-new-gm-cuts-cb-tj-carrie-three-others

Z, I think we need a roster moves thread - and pin it.   

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

But what do you do...go with another rookie back there?

or sign a vet and hope he’s available 16 games? What’s the market rate for a serviceable vet CB?  

There's better vets out there that can be had for the 6 mil plus we saved on Carrie.

Z

42 minutes ago, Zombo said:

There's better vets out there that can be had for the 6 mil plus we saved on Carrie.

Z

Carrie was available 32 of 32 games.  Started almost half of those because guys who were preferred and some better were not available.  

It has historically been a tough buyers market for free agent CB.  

...and so the blood letting begins.  

We've been through this before.  

Looks like our new OL coach said, "I know a couple guys you can dump".     And our DC (DB coach last year) said, "Here's some DB's I don't want".

12 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Carrie was available 32 of 32 games.  Started almost half of those because guys who were preferred and some better were not available.  

It has historically been a tough buyers market for free agent CB.  

His cap number this year was way too high, You gotta shed guys like this before free agency, that's just the way it is. You can pay two good players with what you save. Or one better player. Being healthy two years in a row doesn't mean you grossly overpay in hopes that he is healthy third year in a row.

Zombo

On 2/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, hoorta said:

I'll  agree with  Orion about  Schobert. If we can retain  him on a reasonable contract, I'm  all  for it. Ticky-taki hasn't  shown  much, and Kirksey is always  hurt. Why create  another  hole in a position  that's already  below league  average? 

I was listening to NFL Radio on the way to play RB yesterday and the two most knowledgeable guys "Movin' the Chains" listed Shobert as their second best FA LB out there and that someone would reap the benefits if they signed him away from the Browns. The implication being the Browns would be crazy to not get him signed.

• Upvote 1