THE BROWNS BOARD

1917 review

Universal
R                   119 min

Okay as of this writing 1917 is the odds-on favorite to win best picture.  English war movies have been popular with the academy for quite a while and this one has gained the momentum that might push it over the top. I’ll be honest, the first thing I heard about this film wasn’t about a wonderful story or great acting it was about the idea that cinematographer Roger Deakins shot the whole thing in one take. I have no problem with assigning a little bit of weight to studio tricks when adding up the positives of any film but it’s just sprinkles on the ice cream cone. Sure, when someone combines a great motion picture with groundbreaking cinematography it can be something special.  As for me? That didn’t happen here. As a matter of fact, the idea that it was done in one take became a bit annoying as I found myself looking for the splice. Of course that didn’t distract me enough to miss of the story which crawled along at a snail’s pace, and is laid out early in the film. Close friends Lance corporals Blake and Schofield Dean-Charles Chapman and George MacKay) are pulled aside by the brass and given and extremely dangerous assignment. They must deliver a message to the commander at the front ordering him to call off at attack that the Germans are aware of and are planning a deadly ambush. Not only must they make this arduous journey on foot but avoiding enemy gunfire bombing raids and other treachery along the way. Oh, it’s a noble task the boys have undertaken it’s just not especially exciting and I guess in a way that makes the movie a bit more endearing. This isn’t RAMBO or THE DIRTY DOZEN bur probably a lot closer to the misery that real war brings. I’m not quite sure why the Golden Globes and the academy are so thrilled with this flick. Maybe they were afraid to decide between the two much more outstanding films ONCE UPON A TIME in HOLLYWOOD and THE IRISHMAN and decided to throw their lot in with the bland British war-film. I know I’m going against the grain of the critical consensus and probably with the film-going public but I found 1971 as slow going as the trek across enemy lines.
C+
WSS

• 2 weeks later...

Well I liked it better because the sets for the trenches were so well done and very close to the real trench warfare of WW I. Now I didn't like the last trench scene though the did try to make it clear they were just dug out overnight and had not been there long enough for any "improvements". But still it detracted from all those elaborate sets of trench warfare so well done through most of the rest of the movie. Go to Verdun some time where they have preserved some of the originals. Still impressive even with all the weathering for over a century now.

Anyway I liked the movie. A- . Thought it would get the Best Picture Oscar. Have no idea how a Korean movie did that. Guess I'll have to go see it now.

36 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well I liked it better because the sets for the trenches were so well done and very close to the real trench warfare of WW I. Now I didn't like the last trench scene though the did try to make it clear they were just dug out overnight and had not been there long enough for any "improvements". But still it detracted from all those elaborate sets of trench warfare so well done through most of the rest of the movie. Go to Verdun some time where they have preserved some of the originals. Still impressive even with all the weathering for over a century now.

Anyway I liked the movie. A- . Thought it would get the Best Picture Oscar. Have no idea how a Korean movie did that. Guess I'll have to go see it now.

I will have to bow to your Advanced age tex. 😀 most of us are told enough to have served in World War I. Kidding.

I'm guessing it was politically correct and oh so hip for the Academy to vote for the stupid Korean movie. I didn't see it and won't see it for two reasons. First and foremost there's already a category foreign films. Second can't read the subtitles quickly enough to make it worthwhile. That's why I couldn't watch that Steve Van Zandt Mafia show on cable TV where he's in the witness protection program in Iceland or Greenland or whoever the fuck.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I will have to bow to your Advanced age tex. 😀 most of us are told enough to have served in World War I. Kidding.

I'm guessing it was politically correct and oh so hip for the Academy to vote for the stupid Korean movie. I didn't see it and won't see it for two reasons. First and foremost there's already a category foreign films. Second can't read the subtitles quickly enough to make it worthwhile. That's why I couldn't watch that Steve Van Zandt Mafia show on cable TV where he's in the witness protection program in Iceland or Greenland or whoever the fuck.

WSS

I bet you didn't see the original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Swedish) or La Femme Nikita (French). Both were excellent films even with subtitles.

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I bet you didn't see the original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Swedish) or La Femme Nikita (French). Both were excellent films even with subtitles.

No doubt that's possible. I have an Affliction called ocular histoplasmosis syndrome. The symptoms are very similar to macular degeneration. I can still drive but I can't read the printed word quickly enough to follow subtitles.

Before that happened I saw das boot add Cyrano featuring Gerard Depardieu and plug them both. I just can't do it now. And I don't think either of those should have been nominated for Best Picture, maybe best foreign language or best International.

WSS

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Lillehammer.   Though there are some subtitles, the majority of the language in that show was English.