calfoxwc

Calfox's annual first pre-combine stupid mock draft

2 minutes ago, ATOM said:

so both would help us out 

They could.....

probably the worst case scenario 3 QBs taken, all the OT worthy of Top 10 gone and elite defenders off the board.  

I think Tua slides maybe Herbert too. In that case..our potential picks are gone but we get calls from 12-16 to go get one of those guys.  These teams probably don’t want to mortgage their entire future for a bigger move up too 

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

They could.....

probably the worst case scenario 3 QBs taken, all the OT worthy of Top 10 gone and elite defenders off the board.  

I think Tua slides maybe Herbert too. In that case..our potential picks are gone but we get calls from 12-16 to go get one of those guys.  These teams probably don’t want to mortgage their entire future for a bigger move up too 

then woo f ing hoo draft tua ;)

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

My comments were more at implying should the Browns pursue Armstead.

Why not?  We can always use more talent.

22 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Depends on where he landed...
Washington? why would Washington sign a guy like Armstead when they have a cheaper arguably more productive option available with Chase Young.  

YEP.

Tiam said "the mock"...

which mock? my mock draft? as in, I didn't draft a IDL til round 5?

Washington can very well let Armstead go, because he'll command a huge salary with his next team. As in, Washington is drafting second overall, has huge money in all their defensive front line... how can that affect my mock draft? If they tag Armstead, he will not be a happy football player for them for a year. If Washington goes ahead and drafts Chase Young, which would figure nicely - they have a young star DE that will be with them for years. and they need a qb and offensive line help. They could use the cap space to help that. maybe.

Even if Washington were to draft a qb, or even an OT - it wouldn't affect my mock draft.

Armstead is with SF... WSH would sign him as an FA and opposite Chase he'd make some sense. They could afford both for at least four years.

If WSH drafted an OT at #2 (doubtful), then it could start an OT run. More likely if they decided to go OT that they would start a biding war for Chase, trade down a few spots and grab their OT.

Not feeling QB for them... not two years in a row.

On your mock...

1. Jones... agree can trade down for him unless a run starts early... in which case it'd be a mistake to take him at #10, IMO. If either Wills or Thomas is there, you take them as unlike Jones they are "plug n play" LTs. Jones has talent, but needs work... a lot of work. The OT that'd give me fits considering at 10 is Becton... I've seen boards with him higher than Thomas.

2. Dugger... I like the kid, too... but not this high. Very talented and deep Safety class. No need to reach. This feels to me like the spot to go LB or DT hunting... maybe even interior OL.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:34 AM, tiamat63 said:

My comments were more at implying should the Browns pursue Armstead.

I’m all for that.

You have Chase Young and Derrick Brown as Top 10 front 4 guys.  Any team targeting those two probably won’t touch Armstead.  

Redskins have former first rounders Sweat, Kerrigan and Allen.  Adding Young and Armstead doubtful.  But I think Young is headed there for sure. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Armstead is with SF... WSH would sign him as an FA and opposite Chase he'd make some sense. They could afford both for at least four years.

If WSH drafted an OT at #2 (doubtful), then it could start an OT run. More likely if they decided to go OT that they would start a biding war for Chase, trade down a few spots and grab their OT.

Not feeling QB for them... not two years in a row.

On your mock...

1. Jones... agree can trade down for him unless a run starts early... in which case it'd be a mistake to take him at #10, IMO. If either Wills or Thomas is there, you take them as unlike Jones they are "plug n play" LTs. Jones has talent, but needs work... a lot of work. The OT that'd give me fits considering at 10 is Becton... I've seen boards with him higher than Thomas.

2. Dugger... I like the kid, too... but not this high. Very talented and deep Safety class. No need to reach. This feels to me like the spot to go LB or DT hunting... maybe even interior OL.

oops, went too fast - true, my bad. I actually haven't finished my next post - where I ran across a draft profile that really criticized his "mess" of footwork. It compared the Jones situation as not ready to start at LT.

However, then I ran across this terrific article about Greg Robinson at LT - some keen insight !

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16/16040560/greg-robinson-los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

In that, picking Jones even about 15 might not be the right call after all.

Then I ran across this article - which is really good.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-josh-jones-houston-offensive-line-senior-bowl-20200123-77u6qgwmxncixbsjwpk5peg5g4-story.html

"The 6-7, 310-pound Jones has the size and athleticism made significant strides in his footwork this season to get into the first-round conversation. "

“I just get the job done,” Jones said of his pass protection. “This year I let up four pressures… and a half a sack. I’m dominant at it. I take pride in it. If I give up a pressure, if I’m even close to (giving up) a sack, I’m kicking myself in the butt. It’s just pride. I feel like every O-lineman has that pride.”

" “Everybody can line up and play offensive line,” Jones said. “But it’s a different mindset (to be elite). It’s a battle every single play, every single time you’re to war. You have to be on your Ps and Qs every single time. You can’t slip up. You have to be dominant.” "

So, the Jets might jump ahead of the Browns, to the Jag's spot and get Josh Jones.

that would royally suck, because I almost wanted to take back my pick, now I want to take Jones at ten - the Jets have their eyes on him at 11.

I love this kid.   I really, really like his attitude. He loves the game and is working hard at it.

LOL. I'm so confused. I'll have to have a talk with Flugels about it to get my mind right.  lol

1. Jones... agree can trade down for him unless a run starts early... in which case it'd be a mistake to take him at #10, IMO. If either Wills or Thomas is there, you take them as unlike Jones they are "plug n play" LTs. Jones has talent, but needs work... a lot of work. The OT that'd give me fits considering at 10 is Becton... I've seen boards with him higher than Thomas. TOUR

I know, I"ve seen Wirfs #1, Becton #1, Wills #1. It's uplifting to know that Jones' footwork has vastly? improved. I don't know. I've read where Thomas doesn't look good in space. And, that Wirfs' feet might be a touch slow for NFL speed rushers. And that Becton is a huge dancing teddy bear - powerful and can still really move. For LT ? I just.... don't know. lol

2. Dugger... I like the kid, too... but not this high. Very talented and deep Safety class. No need to reach. This feels to me like the spot to go LB or DT hunting... maybe even interior OL. TOUR

I picked Dugger, rather than later on picking another safety, because he has tweener size to act as a coverage lb like Simmons, a tall bigger safety that can cover most of these TE's that keep coming free over the middle so many times - with all sorts of defenses. Dugger is my "poor man's Simmons", which, I can't get later in the draft after round two. I don't know really, just thinkin, but I appreciate your comments - you are probably right.

A top LB/DT/..IOL would also be a better idea if you could get your safety in the third round. Thanks !

It is very complicated. lol

Yup... if it were easy then every forum would be full of mocks...

Wait...

:)

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... if it were easy then every forum would be full of mocks...

Wait...

:)

Be careful with your mocks:

And tell the pleasant Prince this mock of his
Hath turned his balls to gunstones, and his soul
Shall stand sore chargèd for the wasteful vengeance
That shall fly from them—for many a thousand widows
Shall this his mock mock out of their dear husbands,
Mock mothers from their sons, mock castles down; 
. . . 

Henry V

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Henry V

Ah, my favorite Shaky play!

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger ........................"