THE BROWNS BOARD

New Browns defensive coordinator Joe Woods will stick with 4-3 defense

Vambo

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/new-browns-defensive-coordinator-joe-woods-will-stick-with-4-3-defense.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The big question whenever the Browns hire a new defensive coordinator has been answered: They are not switching schemes under Joe Woods.

Woods was officially announced as defensive coordinator on Friday. He joins the Browns after a season as the defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator in San Francisco. The franchise had to wait for the 49ers’ season to end to officially hire Woods.

“Absolutely worth the wait,” head coach Kevin Stefanski said. “It’s good to see when you’re taking a coach from another team, it’s good to see that team having success. It was fun to watch those guys. They had an incredible season. Joe’s impact on that defense was very real."

As for the question of scheme, Woods said he’ll keep the Browns in a 4-3.

“I think you want to make sure that you’re putting the guys that you have in the right position to make plays,” Woods said. “I know the personnel here is tailored toward a 4-3 scheme, which I’m very comfortable with. We’ll stay with the 4-3 system here and focus on putting the guys in the right positions to make plays.”

Woods has seen the Browns’ talent on defense up close, both with San Francisco last year and when the Browns visited Denver the season before.

“You could definitely see they had some pieces in place,” Woods said, “some talented players that I’ve evaluated over the years.”

Woods is back as a defensive coordinator after he held the position in Denver for two years in 2017 and 2018 before joining the 49ers last year.

“It’s good to be back in this role,” Woods said. “I felt like I learned a lot from my time in Denver. It’s really about managing people, game-planning and how to call a game, so I feel like I’m more prepared now than I was then."

Woods grew up near Pittsburgh, so he already knows all about the Browns’ biggest rivalry, too.

“I know they’re a division rival and I was on the other side of it my whole life because I grew up in Pittsburgh but now it’s about business.”

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vambo said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/new-browns-defensive-coordinator-joe-woods-will-stick-with-4-3-defense.html

“I know the personnel here is tailored toward a 4-3 scheme, which I’m very comfortable with. We’ll stay with the 4-3 system here and focus on putting the guys in the right positions to make plays.”

When he watches film and sees that finding Waldo is way easier than finding a 2nd or 3rd LBer in formation last year - he'll clarify that he is changing us back to a 4-3 base.  We'll probably go with 4 men up front most of the time; but situations will vary whether we're using LBers or DBs in the second tier as well as how many we use there.

In fairness to our new DC - when they played us, he was only responsible for watching our offense on film. Whoever SF had watching our defensive formations - helped Breida almost break the speed of sound the very first time they ran the ball (for an uncontested TD). 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Whoever SF had watching our defensive formations - helped Breida almost break the speed of sound the very first time they ran the ball (for an uncontested TD). 

First play off the Bus & My first thought were, "Demarious Randall must of aged like 10 years flying from east to west coast".. Randall had the best angle to make a play. playing deep safety. But not with his first 3rd step "stuck in the mud" Tackling Angle...

(hit to 1:17 for starter)  Christ, Cal & a pack of blind Dawgs could hit this hole... Welcome to our Defensive nightmares Joe Woods !!... I'll take one Chris Jones & a new back end on Defense for starters..   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

And how long before it becomes obvious that Jobi and Sheldon might not have a complimentary enough skill set to line up on the interior every down as a duo?

I love your tank kid from Baylor DT, but my 1st nightmare like these^^ is our D front is full of 6'2's with no arm length..If Kinlaw at 6'5 with Chris Jones wings makes it till 10? am sitting on my hands, now not taking that Tackle at #10  

🤔 am truly baffled on what #10 brings with this new leadership group? ? Only if Clemson's Simmons is already off the board.. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I love your tank kid from Baylor DT, but my 1st nightmare like these^^ is our D front is full of 6'2's with no arm length..If Kinlaw at 6'5 with Chris Jones wings makes it till 10? am sitting on my hands, now not taking that Tackle at #10  

🤔 am truly baffled on what #10 brings with this new leadership group? ? Only if Clemson's Simmons is already off the board.. 

Me too Gumbs!

There's been speculation Simmons won't last beyond pick #4 or 5.  I've heard GREAT things about Kinlaw.  If he's anything like Chris Jones he's gonna seriously challenge our need to address our unfavorable OT situation first.  Jones reminds me of Richard Seymore in the sense he can play in any front as a DT or DE.   Pre-draft, some draft scouts were saying JJ Watt would only be advisable to a 3-4 defense - and the team that drafted him STOPPED using the 3-4 during JJ's rookie year when Wade Phillips decided he wanted JJ in a 4-3 (that Phillips ran about 85% of the snaps).  That ended up JJ earning Defensive Rookie of the Year. If we can find a unique DL like those guys - that wouldn't suck.  

59 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Depends.  Am I asking my new DI to help me limit the run first and foremost?  Which is exactly the issue our interior has with consistency.   Then no, I'm not going for a Chris Jones clone.          Jonesy is a hell of a player, but he is a liability against the run for KC quite a bit.    Most people just don't realize that.     Don't believe me? I'll slip you my NFL.com log in info sometime.  You can watch the all-22 yourself.   Especially the 1st half of the Chiefs season.  

Spags pulled off some minor miracle work turning that defense around to at least suitable caliber the backhalf of this season.  THAT was the difference between them winning the SB and coming up short in the playoffs again.

37 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Me too Gumbs!

There's been speculation Simmons won't last beyond pick #4 or 5.  I've heard GREAT things about Kinlaw.  If he's anything like Chris Jones he's gonna seriously challenge our need to address our unfavorable OT situation first.  Jones reminds me of Richard Seymore in the sense he can play in any front as a DT or DE.   Pre-draft, some draft scouts were saying JJ Watt would only be advisable to a 3-4 defense - and the team that drafted him STOPPED using the 3-4 during JJ's rookie year when Wade Phillips decided he wanted JJ in a 4-3 (that Phillips ran about 85% of the snaps).  That ended up JJ earning Defensive Rookie of the Year. If we can find a unique DL like those guys - that wouldn't suck.  

Go check out how many different spots JJ was used under Wade and beyond.    It isn't so much the "43" as it becomes about finding what the strength of his play style is vs what your philosphy and gameplanning calls for attacking offenses on particular downs, distances and personnel groupings.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Depends. 

Spags pulled off some minor miracle work turning that defense around to at least suitable caliber the backhalf of this season.  THAT was the difference between them winning the SB and coming up short in the playoffs again.

All this^^.. and it truly does all depend on how the front office & coaches want to start attacking it..starting with Fa's plans that come out in about a month..

As for the champs & Spags.. Ogbah was playing well till he went down imho.. They added Frank Clark than T. Suggs late.. well that should turn most running plays to inside runs

7 of 9 transactions back in October all consisted of DT moves.. Dev. Lawrence & Mike Pennel were added..They also got DT Xavier Williams back to playing off IR in December 

Add in some personal luck coming back & a front office that works with it's coaching staff to what sucks can do wonders

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Go check out how many different spots JJ was used under Wade and beyond.    It isn't so much the "43" as it becomes about finding what the strength of his play style is vs what your philosphy and gameplanning calls for attacking offenses on particular downs, distances and personnel groupings.

I don't need to because I agree with your point.   My point was there were a lot of scouts (pre-draft) saying JJ would only work in a 3 man front which made me wonder if they ever took the time to really research him the way they should have.   More specifically, don't let the red hair and freckles tell you about his quicks, power and fast twitchies.  Research the lad if your team is counting on you to get it right about him before they draft...

While Wisconsin kept him in a 3 man front, they even moved him around on occasion.  For example, they lined him up over Ohio State's All Conference Center in certain situations on a night they stymied Ohio State's offense and Terrelle Pryor in particular.   Nothing about JJ predicted limited ability or fitness to just 1 front or schematic.  As I've said previously, Watt reminded me of Richard Seymore pre-draft.  I meant that as a compliment at the time while hindsight 20/20 has me thinking it was more of an insult (considering JJ was even better than Seymore).

It's good to have DL that can fit either front or scheme so when injuries rear their ugly head - you still have the personnel to fit both if that makes sense.  For example, NE once had Willie McGinest and Richard Seymore that could fit either front or scheme. Richard could also kick inside in their 4 man front or play on the edge.  pertaining to our topic of discussion, if we're going DL at #10 - it would be nice to have a guy wired for all schemes.  I know we want our DC wired for all schemes; so having DL wired for that as well won't hurt.

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

For example, they lined him up over Ohio State's All Conference Center in certain situations on a night they stymied Ohio State's offense 

Please don't.            I was in Jacksonville, NC that night getting black-out drunk with Marines before their deployment.       We started a little late because that opening kick-off hurt my heart to the point I started going straight from the bottle.    The evening took a nasty left turn after that.   Only high point I remember was Boom stiff arming JJ into oblivion but then the crushing realization we wouldn't be playing for a natty afterwards.   

Only 3 of us were from Ohio out of that group, but everybody there felt that loss.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Please don't.            I was in Jacksonville, NC that night getting black-out drunk with Marines before their deployment.       We started a little late because that opening kick-off hurt my heart to the point I started going straight from the bottle.    The evening took a nasty left turn after that.   Only high point I remember was Boom stiff arming JJ into oblivion but then the crushing realization we wouldn't be playing for a natty afterwards.   

Only 3 of us were from Ohio out of that group, but everybody there felt that loss.

I hear ya!   I HATED that game; but I'll never forget it unfortunately... 

25 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I tried to.

Woke up in the bed of a truck in the parking lot at Sonic.     However, let me tell you about them tater tots.

Small World 🌎 champ.. Instead of a job transfer'ing to the big city of Raleigh,NC (which i did transfer too years later).. I first, chose the Beach life 🏖️ of Sneeds Ferry & Surf City.& still own a family beach house in Topsail Island. It's just outside of where I Worked in Jacksonville,NC..If you were on the Base? You were on Freedom Way or Camp Lejeune* Blvd..(landmark check* some of theEE best strip joint bodies ever seen👀) or I worked on Western Blvd. where those tots were the Bomb diggity of all tots for lunch or dinner  https://sonicdrivein.com/-/totchos   

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

First play off the Bus & My first thought were, "Demarious Randall must of aged like 10 years flying from east to west coast".. Randall had the best angle to make a play. playing deep safety. But not with his first 3rd step "stuck in the mud" Tackling Angle...

(hit to 1:17 for starter)  Christ, Cal & a pack of blind Dawgs could hit this hole... Welcome to our Defensive nightmares Joe Woods !!... I'll take one Chris Jones & a new back end on Defense for starters..   

I had a nice view of that run from the corner End zone right over the back pylon.  I had Niner fans on each side screaming in my ear too. And then that damn fog horn going off. 

the best part of that trip was the “cheap” beer $8 across the street at some golf course. Had some good clam chowder too some hole in the wall in downtown SF 

I can’t understand the love affair some fans have with Randall he had an awful year.  I’m not a PFF guy but I can’t imagine they were kind to him.  To make matters worse he talks a big $&@“” game and delivers nothing.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Is this "Cal has a 4 yr artificial knee and never played sports" joke?

dammit. LOL

13 hours ago, Flugel said:

When he watches film and sees that finding Waldo is way easier than finding a 2nd or 3rd LBer in formation last year - he'll clarify that he is changing us back to a 4-3 base.  We'll probably go with 4 men up front most of the time; but situations will vary whether we're using LBers or DBs in the second tier as well as how many we use there.

In fairness to our new DC - when they played us, he was only responsible for watching our offense on film. Whoever SF had watching our defensive formations - helped Breida almost break the speed of sound the very first time they ran the ball (for an uncontested TD). 

We're so short on LBs it's not even funny. And we BETTER sign Schobert. 

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Jacksonville NC, the armpit of NC.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...