THE BROWNS BOARD

Adored Browns mascot Swagger passes away at 6

Vambo

29 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Only 6?  

The Dawg Pound has lost one of their most adored members on Friday. Swagger, the Cleveland Brown's live mascot died at 6 years old after a battle with cancer.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Only 6?  

As a large breed, life expectancy is just 8-10 years & Swagger had cancer. My eldest Daughter's bull mastiff, Sammi, contracted cancer & died at 5. Here is Sammi with me...

EVeR8MfQ5l2NYWQwaj7IbXk0JnK0HaecExwZ2wx2kTwGr9SElLyGUEaxrxD_MQZCa2UicSei7Sql7v-eLdE_enzxIHdgJTd5uXRK_Rc5HmrgOwxef5EGFSor3vMsNJO3TkrVPuuwyJCHoRUAMhLz1AktfqIrwJkDmjiGDUbMLSdUibiify_sAvRElcbGVAgkJTS8O-hb4ExfF4d4l8JqfXcmCzH9e7X37XlnhCuxXhlt6xGKlIrWHM0GyySmHZe6oP2kBNmcBdC20TOjBSwz9V6Y7HAWa3ibMj2kv9F-NWgXZjqFGazAVBQUPAQekrgJ5L3rPwJbeMK29GbKn9KUTePxq-Qw1eLP_-P7VYoEaSN37cqg1kIwr6bR6xL-FbIE3pSdbRAWRkygEGmHlsD6m9AsDfP-VAO97KRJ6F3MrTYSJt3PmCRzdfpBjuo11-85HR-46wEx5pKKTdePmmMXQ_YJK1nScJBw6Vnm3V_LXO8VN4hQoZ5rEwL9pAT55rwOepvMRtm469rECWI-dnauSOgIFVpEGRvH3J6rrf08tQTkrsIQGbnj82wGRCaRxhasCDGonsZgdIWQE7HgnWKIT5EW8HuvQyFD93ASvA0T9jRFm1EHB9-Lqywm7Dw7MjD3vmDn_NrwOZux5Hmv8F8v8wt8LQH6BhqWaJ3PDMBUom-wAjET4fxT68s=w453-h603-no

Sammi was my buddy. She was a gentle, lovable girl & is missed, just as Swagger will be missed.

RIP Swagger!

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

R.I.P. Swagger. Sad part about big breeds. Their life expectancy is at best as said above 8-10. My wife and I have rescued Big breeds for 22+ years. We specialize in St Bernards(one of the reasons we are Saints fans as well.) Right now we have a 11.5  year old Saint. He is the oldest one to date. We have lost them as early as 1.5 years. He had addison's and had a tumor in his nose rupture. We have 5 Saints now... here are 4 the only one missing is our newest rescue Baker he turned 9 months 2/6!!!   GO BROWNS!

received_326738487979583.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Very sad. I lost my big girl 15 months ago. She was 13 and was the oldest dog I've ever had and if I'm being honest, my favorite.

I'm not sure I'll have another pet again...... RIP Swagger. 

7 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

As a large breed, life expectancy is just 8-10 years & Swagger had cancer. My eldest Daughter's bull mastiff, Sammi, contracted cancer & died at 5. Here is Sammi with me...

EVeR8MfQ5l2NYWQwaj7IbXk0JnK0HaecExwZ2wx2kTwGr9SElLyGUEaxrxD_MQZCa2UicSei7Sql7v-eLdE_enzxIHdgJTd5uXRK_Rc5HmrgOwxef5EGFSor3vMsNJO3TkrVPuuwyJCHoRUAMhLz1AktfqIrwJkDmjiGDUbMLSdUibiify_sAvRElcbGVAgkJTS8O-hb4ExfF4d4l8JqfXcmCzH9e7X37XlnhCuxXhlt6xGKlIrWHM0GyySmHZe6oP2kBNmcBdC20TOjBSwz9V6Y7HAWa3ibMj2kv9F-NWgXZjqFGazAVBQUPAQekrgJ5L3rPwJbeMK29GbKn9KUTePxq-Qw1eLP_-P7VYoEaSN37cqg1kIwr6bR6xL-FbIE3pSdbRAWRkygEGmHlsD6m9AsDfP-VAO97KRJ6F3MrTYSJt3PmCRzdfpBjuo11-85HR-46wEx5pKKTdePmmMXQ_YJK1nScJBw6Vnm3V_LXO8VN4hQoZ5rEwL9pAT55rwOepvMRtm469rECWI-dnauSOgIFVpEGRvH3J6rrf08tQTkrsIQGbnj82wGRCaRxhasCDGonsZgdIWQE7HgnWKIT5EW8HuvQyFD93ASvA0T9jRFm1EHB9-Lqywm7Dw7MjD3vmDn_NrwOZux5Hmv8F8v8wt8LQH6BhqWaJ3PDMBUom-wAjET4fxT68s=w453-h603-no

Sammi was my buddy. She was a gentle, lovable girl & is missed, just as Swagger will be missed.

RIP Swagger!

Mike

Just like Burnese Mtn dogs have a life expectancy of 7 years..

6 hours ago, nickers said:

Just like Burnese Mtn dogs have a life expectancy of 7 years..

That's why you need a Ragdoll cat. My first one lasted 17 years and the sisters I got to replace her lasted 15 1/2 and 17 1/2. I got a mother and daughter through a shelter last year.

• Upvote 3

That's sad but good Swagger is now in peace.  There's something special about a pet.   They never care what kind of day you had prior to greeting you at the door when you get home.  They just show you that you are their whole world and nothing else matters.   That can be quite a game changer.  So much so, that many health care facilities now have pet therapy...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, BrownsnMopar said:

R.I.P. Swagger. Sad part about big breeds. Their life expectancy is at best as said above 8-10. My wife and I have rescued Big breeds for 22+ years. We specialize in St Bernards(one of the reasons we are Saints fans as well.) Right now we have a 11.5  year old Saint. He is the oldest one to date. We have lost them as early as 1.5 years. He had addison's and had a tumor in his nose rupture. We have 5 Saints now... here are 4 the only one missing is our newest rescue Baker he turned 9 months 2/6!!!   GO BROWNS!

received_326738487979583.jpeg

Interesting....I've rescued wolves and hybrids for 25 years. My oldest will be 15 in April...a large male at 120 lbs., but have had up to 160 lbs. Probably nowhere the weight of your animals. It's a long term commitment, with sacrifices. No vacations......includes a couple hours every day, no matter what the weather is, feeding, cleaning pens, interacting with them....but well worth it. It never gets any easier when they pass. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

That's sad but good Swagger is now in peace.  There's something special about a pet.   They never care what kind of day you had prior to greeting you at the door when you get home.  They just show you that you are their whole world and nothing else matters.   That can be quite a game changer.  So much so, that many health care facilities now have pet therapy...

Several adult children of our friends have told their parents that when they die they want to come back as one of my cats. I spoil 'em rotten.😻😍

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, D Bone said:

Very sad. I lost my big girl 15 months ago. She was 13 and was the oldest dog I've ever had and if I'm being honest, my favorite.

Other dogs need a home also.  You gave yours a great life she many have not had otherwise.  Look at it that way.

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:41 PM, D Bone said:

The second of my two sister cats died a year ago last month. I lasted one week before I found via internet a perfectly marked Seal Point Lynx Ragdoll and her half Siamese daughter in a foster home shelter. They always spay female Ragdolls who don't have perfect markings. This one was found in the wild with 7 kittens. She would have cost someone around $3000 as a breeder, but somehow she escaped and had those kittens for about a week before they were found. The little half-breed came with her as a pair and I wouldn't trade them for anything. The mom would love to go wild again so I watch her like a hawk when I take her out back a couple times a day. Baby is just this sweet natured little imp. They both follow me all around the house as Ragdolls do. They are actually loyal dogs in cat skin camo.😻😻

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/8/2020 at 6:38 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

That's why you need a Ragdoll cat. My first one lasted 17 years and the sisters I got to replace her lasted 15 1/2 and 17 1/2. I got a mother and daughter through a shelter last year.

Our mutt longhair tabby Raymond lasted to 19, and he was probably older than that- he was already an adult cat when he showed up on our back porch. Boynton made it to 15, and would have lived longer if he hadn't died from a heart attack- too much of Dad's Roquefort. Why I was disinclined to have another cat until our damn near Champion Himalayan got gifted to us by my pal's brother in law. I had always wanted one, but wasn't about to spend $1,000 to get one. Didn't want to be taking care of pets when I'm 80. Supposedly 20 for a cat = 100 for people, but there are documented instances of cats living past 30 years old.  And in response to Ag- Norman is my Himalayan Herding cat. I swear the cat can tell time. Get up Dad, it's 10 AM and I'll guide you downstairs to the kitchen for my morning kitty treat. I'm sure you know Ragdolls are essentially king sized Himalayans. 

But back to dogs. As the wife says, I've been bitten more than anyone she knows. Couple of times by spaniels, and one very mean Jack Russel- that I probably would have killed if the owner didn't immediately start apologizing profusely. I don't have any problems with dogs as long as they're well behaved and friendly- like just about all labs and golden retrievers.  One guy walks his Newfoundland around the neighborhood- and as nice a dog as there is. Where I have problems is when I'm out on my bike in the Ohio farmland and someone's German Shepard decides to chase me for a couple thousand feet. I've said a bunch of times I could buy a Tour de France special bike if I got $5 bucks for every time I've been chased by a dog. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

And in response to Ag- Norman is my Himalayan Herding cat. I swear the cat can tell time. Get up Dad, it's 10 AM and I'll guide you downstairs to the kitchen for my morning kitty treat. I'm sure you know Ragdolls are essentially king sized Himalayans. . 

The original Ragdoll was a combination of a California domestic long haired white cat and a Burmese cat called a Birman. The Lynx addition came later and it gives horizontal dark brown and cream stripes to the lower face vertical above the eyes, and horizontal on forelegs and tail. The ears, paws and back of the legs are dark brown. Eyes are china blue.

PS-Mine walks on me at 5:30 am every morning and then heads for the clock which she blocks me from seeing. I get up and then she moves and it's the same time every morning. Baby cat is always near the chair for attention when I am putting on socks. Fortunately being retired we can all cat nap later in the day before or after racquetball.

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The original Ragdoll was a combination of a California domestic long haired white cat and a Burmese cat called a Birman. The Lynx addition came later and it gives horizontal dark brown and cream stripes to the lower face vertical above the eyes, and horizontal on forelegs and tail. The ears, paws and back of the legs are dark brown. Eyes are china blue.

PS-Mine walks on me at 5:30 am every morning and then heads for the clock which she blocks me from seeing. I get up and then she moves and it's the same time every morning. Baby cat is always near the chair for attention when I am putting on socks. Fortunately being retired we can all cat nap later in the day before or after racquetball.

I'm sure you know Himalayans are a cross between Persians and Siamese. Thankfully, Norman takes after his quiet Persian ancestors. Unfortunately, his obnoxious rescue brother that we got from Sue's niece-  Meowey takes to the vocal Siamese side. Norman's "official" himalayan name I gave him is  Norman Namcha Barwa. Nanga Parbat just didn't work for me. If he had been a girl he would have been Nuptse or NandaDevi. 

image.jpeg.e5b391c0756ccc5a07e6c333e8f73aa2.jpeg

Meow was originally Mallory- after George "why climb Everest because it's there" Mallory. But he soon became Meowey- and then Mao. Because that's all he does. Some people say Himalayans are dumb cats. Norman isn't exactly Einstein- but Meow is about the most brain damaged cat I've ever seen.  :) 

PS since I'm on a Himalayan naming kick- it's about damn time for the world to recognize- as the United States did with reverting the USGS name "Mount McKinley" to it's rightful native name Denali. Ditto for the world to start calling Mount Everest Chomolungma or Sagarmatha. Insulting to the locals that the two neighboring peaks- one of which is damn near as high- Lhotse, and Nuptse never got the British treatment. For those who don't know George Everest was a British surveyor who correctly determined 29,000' was the high point on Earth. The Nepalese knew it was "The Mother Sky Goddess" long before he ever showed up.  :)

• Upvote 1

One of my sister cats, Kashmir, was so dog-like that I would wad up a sheet of notebook paper, toss it across the tile floor and she would chase it all over batting it everywhere and then pick it up in her mouth, bring it back to me and drop it there while getting in her "springing" stanch awaiting another toss. She was what they call a mitted seal point. This one looks very much like her when she was "middle-aged". 

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=mitted+seal+point+ragdoll&fr=yhs-symantec-ext_onb&hspart=symantec&hsimp=yhs-ext_onb&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F33oezn10chdvlfeziep11ae7.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F11%2FSeal-Mitted-with-a-Blaze-Ragdoll-Cat-Bradley-Al-Morgan-Ashton-Age-3-16-lbs.jpg#id=9&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ragdollqueen.com%2Fen%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F2%2F2015%2F10%2Fragdoll-mitted-1.jpg&action=click

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, Canton Mike said:

RIP Swagger!

Mike

Yea, died of cancer at 6, when I grew up no dogs died of cancer. 

15 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

That there was what you call a mitted blue point. The coloring is much lighter and it has "mittens" on it's feet. Mine has no mittens since the dark brown color goes all the way down all 4 legs. She's a Seal Point Lynx Ragdoll. Her baby has short fur like the Siamese father and is still coloring in because they are all born white. The colors start coming in shortly thereafter and take about 3 years to be fully colored in. The pro breeders can tell within a few weeks whether they have a pet level cat or a breeder level cat. The symmetry of the markings is the primary determiner of that. My momma cat has mirror image markings in that one side of her that "mirrors" the other side of her from nose to tail with exactly the same color and patterns on both sides including the underside. Breeder females like her fetch $3000 or more on the open market because even their pet level kittens can bring in $1000 and up. I got mine for $350 for the pair which included spaying of both, all their vet bills for shots, treatment, etc. Shelters almost always spay females, even breeder level cats since they apparently leave their documentation at home. Obviously I am housing a "dreamer" and her illegal alien mother.😂

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That there was what you call a mitted blue point. The coloring is much lighter and it has "mittens" on it's feet. Mine has no mittens since the dark brown color goes all the way down all 4 legs. She's a Seal Point Lynx Ragdoll. Her baby has short fur like the Siamese father and is still coloring in because they are all born white. The colors start coming in shortly thereafter and take about 3 years to be fully colored in. The pro breeders can tell within a few weeks whether they have a pet level cat or a breeder level cat. The symmetry of the markings is the primary determiner of that. My momma cat has mirror image markings in that one side of her that "mirrors" the other side of her from nose to tail with exactly the same color and patterns on both sides including the underside. Breeder females like her fetch $3000 or more on the open market because even their pet level kittens can bring in $1000 and up. I got mine for $350 for the pair which included spaying of both, all their vet bills for shots, treatment, etc. Shelters almost always spay females, even breeder level cats since they apparently leave their documentation at home. Obviously I am housing a "dreamer" and her illegal alien mother.😂

Exactly Ag. Some wine friends of ours raised Persians for many years.  When they sold one, the buyer didn't get the papers until after they got proof that the cat was spayed or neutered. Reason being you don't want to sell a cat with Grand Champion bloodlines to someone who just might be getting into (or is in) the breeding business, and you'd be giving potential competition a jump start on you.  You want papers for an unfixed cat? That will be triple, thank you very much. 

In light of that, interesting that Norman was running around not fixed until the rescue organization that originally found him then had him neutered. Someone let a breeder cat get on the loose and not go looking for him?  My research tells me Norm is way above "pet" quality as those things go. I've mentioned Norm is a rescue from a rescue. He got out of the person's barn who was sheltering him, and wound up a mile down the road in my friend's brother in law's yard.