THE BROWNS BOARD

Why Did Rush Deserve The Medal?

MLD Woody

21 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So nothing then? Alright. That's fine. This board has set my expectations very low. 

I'm genuinely curious what posters on this board will provide as reasoning. I'm sure a right wing outlet has already told them what to say. I'm just looking for that.

What was Obama's reason for giving his medal of freedom to Robert DeNiro? Tom Hanks? Ellen DeGeneres? Robert Redford? Bruce Springsteen?

Rush Limbaugh has done enough charity work to deserve the medal...at least as much as the people above Obama gave the medal to.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

What was Obama's reason for giving his medal of freedom to Robert DeNiro? Tom Hanks? Ellen DeGeneres? Robert Redford? Bruce Springsteen?

Rush Limbaugh has done enough charity work to deserve the medal...at least as much as the people above Obama gave the medal to.

Well everyone loves Tom Hanks. That's an easy one. I'm guessing those were for charity and bringing people together. I'd have to read up on it. 

Rush just seems like a pretty divicive guy... to say the least. He's got quite the highlight real of racist, misogynist, and other ist remarks. 

11 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Well everyone loves Tom Hanks. That's an easy one. I'm guessing those were for charity and bringing people together. I'd have to read up on it. 

Rush just seems like a pretty divicive guy... to say the least. He's got quite the highlight real of racist, misogynist, and other ist remarks. 

It's divisive dumbass.. And it's a REEL, not real..🤣

Where did you go to school again? 🤣

• Haha 1

Oops. My bad. Honestly spelled divisive wrong. Reel was just a phone typo. Oh well. Guess that's what I get...

I think you know that answer. Where did you go?

(Tho I should know better at this point...)

But more unfortunate is this just opens the door for more non responses. But at least you got a kick out of it  

31 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You could have a highlight reel of divisive and profane remarks from DeNiro... .way beyond anything Rush ever said. Rush has done a lot of charity work and that alone would make him deserving of his medal.

For all of the talk about Rush making racist comments I have yet to see any evidence of that and you would think with all the years he has been on the radio they should have some kind of recorded evidence.

15 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

You could have a highlight reel of divisive and profane remarks from DeNiro... .way beyond anything Rush ever said. Rush has done a lot of charity work and that alone would make him deserving of his medal.

For all of the talk about Rush making racist comments I have yet to see any evidence of that and you would think with all the years he has been on the radio they should have some kind of recorded evidence.

I'll give you this OBF, the more I'm reading into the award the more I'm realizing how the level of prestige has seemed to lower in more modern times. Rush winning isn't as egregious as I thought.... though it still seems like the biggest reach. Unless I'm missing something de Niro said recently I don't know if it can top the stuff Rush pedaled. 

Though at this point I'm just procrastinating from getting homework done...

51 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/presidential-medal-awardee-rush-limbaughs-racist-and-sexist-comments-2020-2

If libel then I am sure it would be a slam dunk lawsuit. 

The Limbaugh comments about Michael J Fox were big news at the time. It would be hard if I was Marty McFly to not have a good laugh in public knowing how things have shaken out.

I was glad to see Limbaugh receive the medal of freedom right there in the chamber for the reasons that are purely my own feelings.

Trump honors a guy who has a YUGE daily listenership  (like it of not)....(and I can guess what the OP is looking for...) and gives him (Limbaugh)

an opportunity to see the love and the hate reaction from those the same room!  as well as millions across the entire broadcast watching!

and for an ego as big as his?  truly astounding when you think of that.

Like Trump and his meteoric rise these last few years and the equally effective TDS it leaves on his haters,  Rush Limbaugh  managed to 

navigate and call out the corruption that resides on the left - and the try and change the long time conservative response of "eating" that SHIT sandwich,  

Until a guy like Trump came along and shown everybody what pushback looks like.

and do it in an entertaining way that some here decry as offensive? 

(like we are to believe that the left doesnt do the same behind closed doors or in their tight circles?)

16 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I'll give you this OBF, the more I'm reading into the award the more I'm realizing how the level of prestige has seemed to lower in more modern times. Rush winning isn't as egregious as I thought.... though it still seems like the biggest reach. Unless I'm missing something de Niro said recently I don't know if it can top the stuff Rush pedaled. 

Though at this point I'm just procrastinating from getting homework done...

and sticking your stinking feet into your beak, because you never know what you are babbling about. Rush has had a career of telling the truth and being maligned by the left for it.

de niro is just a hollywood foul mouthed hater.

40 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

and sticking your stinking feet into your beak, because you never know what you are babbling about. Rush has had a career of telling the truth and being maligned by the left for it.

de niro is just a hollywood foul mouthed hater.

Rush is a conservative and he makes no pretenses that he is going to take anything but the conservative side on the issues. He doesn't try to deceive anyone about where he stands unlike our fake media who try to claim they are neutral but most of the time they are peddling the DNC talking points and narratives. The thing that Rush does not get credit for that even liberals should appreciate is his charity work. For that alone he was as deserving as some of the other freedom medal recipients past presidents have given the medals to.

He is battling stage 4 cancer and I applaud Trump for giving him his freedom medal at the SOTU.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Rush has done a lot of charity work...

You've said this twice with no details so I googled "Rush Limbaugh Charity work"... basically only even semi-relevant hit was his Wiki page which lists a few charities to which he's made contributions.

So do you have any details?

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

You've said this twice with no details so I googled "Rush Limbaugh Charity work"... basically only even semi-relevant hit was his Wiki page which lists a few charities to which he's made contributions.

So do you have any details?

The Wiki page listed these

*Limbaugh has contributed to several charities, including the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the Marine Corps–Law Enforcement Foundation, and the Tunnel to Towers Foundation.

I found these in addition

https://www.wtvy.com/content/news/Rush-Limbaughs-donation-to-charity-pays-mortgage-for-fallen-Alabama-officer-513194661.html

https://www.premierenetworks.com/Pages/headline_1.aspx

Rush also has this for veterans:

2019 Stand Up for Betsy Ross Campaign Update by Rush and Kathryn Limbaugh

December 1, 2019

Due to your support of the Stand Up for Betsy Ross campaign, $5 million has been donated so far to our heroes through the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation.

https://rushlimbaughshowstore.com/pages/military-support

I found this from 2008

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh ranked fourth on the Most Generous Celebrities List by donating $4.2 million, or approximately 13% of the $33 million he earned last year, to the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation, a charity that helps support the children of Marines or federal law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty.

https://www.forbes.com/2008/11/24/oprah-philanthropy-celebrity-biz-media-cz_dkr_1124charitycelebs.html#5c15127a5dbf

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, MLD Woody said:

Any answer without memes, insults, etc?

We saw plenty of backlash when a magazine gave an award to Greta, so I'm trying to put this much more prestigious award from a president into context. 

Because he's conservative commentator who has had amazing popularity for an amazing span of time. Even though he wasn't the first he is certainly at the Vanguard of the entire talk radio phenomenon. Which even you must admit is a pretty important thing, agree or disagree with their politics. Easily as important to Modern American Broadcasting as Edward R Murrow or Walter Cronkite.

edit Plus there's always the element of pissing off the people who hate the president and Limbaugh.

WSS

35 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Because he's conservative commentator who has had amazing popularity for an amazing span of time. Even though he wasn't the first he is certainly at the Vanguard of the entire talk radio phenomenon. Which even you must admit is a pretty important thing, agree or disagree with their politics. Easily as important to Modern American Broadcasting as Edward R Murrow or Walter Cronkite.

edit Plus there's always the element of pissing off the people who hate the president and Limbaugh.

WSS

Well yeah, politics is now just about trolling the other side. Not actually being correct. This board is a small example of that but it extends to actual politicians as well. Trump unfortunately ushered in this age. So if he was picked to just piss people off, then fine. 

Wouldn't Stern be a bigger deal in talk radio?

Still tho, with all of these posts, I'm not sure they truly address Rush's baggage. 

10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Well yeah, politics is now just about trolling the other side. Not actually being correct. This board is a small example of that but it extends to actual politicians as well. Trump unfortunately ushered in this age. So if he was picked to just piss people off, then fine. 

Wouldn't Stern be a bigger deal in talk radio?

Still tho, with all of these posts, I'm not sure they truly address Rush's baggage. 

I don't disagree with some of the criticism of the left of republicans chanting 4 more years during the SOTU. Chanting "USA" is  appropriate,  chanting  "4 more years" not appropriate in a SOTU address. The SOTU is the president addressing the entire nation and not just his supporters.

I also don't think the SOTU was the place to give Rush his freedom medal. I would have rather seen Rush given the medal at the White House. The reason again is the SOTU is an address to the entire nation and not just conservatives.

What Pelosi did was way and I mean way over the top by publicly ripping up the speech for the world to see. That was one of the most disgraceful things I have ever witnessed in politics.

39 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

That was one of the most disgraceful things I have ever witnessed in politics.

Yeah ... I think the right is just trying to be overly outraged. The same thing they constantly Blake the left of doing. Turns out both sides like to be the victim. 

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

Yeah ... I think the right is just trying to be overly outraged. The same thing they constantly Blake the left of doing. Turns out both sides like to be the victim. 

On a political level what Pelsoi did was a gift to Trump being re-elected. Of course the democratic base loved it but it did not play well with independent swing voters who are the ones who decide elections.

And it was disgraceful.