THE BROWNS BOARD

Why does ESPN refuse to cover the Roeth.lisberger mess when every other major media outlet will?

Guest mz.

This is very, very strange.

Does anyone have any explanation, as I cannot come up with one.

Some have said it may have something to do with the fact he is scheduled to be on Shaq's ABC Reality show (as I'm sure you know ABC owns ESPN). Also, he was featured on the ESPYs as well (which I didn't watch so I'm not sure if it's true).

I don't know if that's why but I agree it's awfully strange.

I thought of the ESPY connection, but that was in the past, so I doubt it was much pf a factor, if at all.

The future Shaq-show-on-ABC-featuring-Ben connection feels exactly right.

Filthy.

They should cover the story - if it were somebody not appearing on their ABC show with Shaq, they'd have already had lead in stories.

But I will say this - and I rarely pull this card - if he were black? Forget about it. All over the news.

Exact same thing happend with Isiah Thomas last year and they turned it into a major story so race probably plays a role.

Yeah but Zeke was always a little shithead who had the masses fooled that he was some sort of class act. His antics finally caught up to him. Ben doesn't really have a track record yet of being a toolbox is all I can guess. I don't think race has that much to do with it.

Here's ESPN's explanation, fellas...

ESPN explains position on Roethlis.berger

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 22, 2009 10:48 PM ET

Wednesday night, we noted that ESPN has finally decided to start covering the Ben Roeth.lisberger civil case.

Now the network wants to explain their decision. ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer sent PFT a statement Wednesday night detailing the network's position.

"Based on the sensitive nature of the story and other factors we mentioned, we initially exercised caution and did not report it," the statement reads.

"Since then, we've been observing how the story has progressed, monitoring other news outlets, and doing our own reporting. We decided to report the story tonight."

The hot button issue has inspired more than 850 comments in less than three hours on ESPN's AP article about Roethlis.berger, most of which aren't worldwide leader friendly.

The network says they aren't just caving to public pressure, but made the decision because they feel "it is the right thing to do."

We wondered earlier what changed Wednesday night and Hofheimer has an answer.

"It is not one specific thing. The criminal news today is part of the ongoing evolution of the story we've been monitoring. We will lead our reports tonight about this with that news, that there will be no criminal investigation into the allegations."

In a PFT first, our fearless leader Mr. Florio requested to be quoted with his response. From a Green Day concert.

"They are twisting the facts," Florio writes. "The story is not that there will be no investigation. Its that there won't be one absent a criminal complaint"

via here

"They are twisting the facts," Florio writes. "The story is not that there will be no investigation. Its that there won't be one absent a criminal complaint"

Make a note of this for all women!!!!

Even though i 'dislike'; steeler 'nation' DNA is a bonus when trying to convince a jury.

The photo's shown of this gal are not that great, i hope that does not influence our opinions.(She sounds like a wack job though)

Archived