THE BROWNS BOARD

Odell Beckham Breaks Silence on Browns Coaching Hires, Expectations

Vambo

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/02/browns-odell-beckham-kevin-stefanski-hire/?fbclid=IwAR2C-KmcMMUa0tMI6yriCAzaqOkTrDjmY-aB2ntjdLbPzHD3jU2prVLqWpI

After a turbulent first year with the Cleveland Browns, Odell Beckham Jr. is excited for a fresh start under new head coach Kevin Stefanski.

The Browns pulled the trigger on hiring the former Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator after an extended coaching search that spanned two-plus weeks and saw the team interview many high-profile coordinators around the league.

Stefanski’s background with the Vikings and utilizing two talented receivers in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen has Beckham excited about the prospects of next season. Beckham shared his thoughts on the hire in a Q&A interview with Zach Frydenlund of Complex Sports.

“You know, it’s going on year seven for me now, but this business teaches you that anybody’s replaceable and there’s always going to be new coaches coming in and new staff, unless you’re in one of those places where it just happens to not be like that. But where I’ve been at, unfortunately I’ve been on some teams, not-so-good teams, so we’ve kind of reestablished it.

And with the new coach coming in, just seeing what he did with the Minnesota Vikings for a long time with Thielen and Diggs. These are people who I’ve watched closely on their film, and just seeing the things that he did and meeting him and seeing where his mind’s at for Jarvis and myself of how this will all work out, I have a good feeling about it, you know?

And I’m always optimistic and looking on the brighter side of things. And I’m hoping that it’s a tremendous season for us. We were so close last year, but yet so far away, and it shows you how being so close can land you from 10-6 to 6-10, you know? It’s really a game of inches. So it’s just little things we need to correct. I’m excited about the opportunity, excited to work on it.”

Odell Beckham Eager to Prove Haters Wrong With Browns

Despite breaking the 1,000-yard barrier, Beckham did not play up to the wild expectations set forth after the blockbuster trade that landed him with the Browns in the offseason. Beckham finished his first season in Cleveland with 1,035 yards and four touchdowns.

Stefanski has said he wants to lay out clear expectations for Beckham as they build their partnership. But there shouldn’t be any lack of motivation from Beckham, who will be determined to prove his doubters wrong.

“I’m going to win in this offseason,” Beckham said after the Browns season ending loss to the Bengals. “2019 has been a year of the losses and all these things. I feel like I’ve taken them with great humility. I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’m positive looking into 2020. I’m excited.”

Beckham acknowledged a lot of the talk that he and quarterback Baker Mayfield need to be “fixed,” but he’s not looking at it that way.

“The thing is, people don’t get to where they’re at by not being who they were to get here,’’ he said. “So when people say they need to fix me or they need to fix this person, I don’t believe in fixing anybody. Improving somebody is definitely more the word that I would say.”

Odell Beckham Optimistic After Offseason Surgery

Beckham had core surgery this offseason for an injury that hampered him all season. He’s expected to be ready for all of the Browns offseason work.

“I think myself as well had a slice of humble pie this year, because I was hurt all year. I couldn’t really say I was hurt. I didn’t want to make it seem like I’m having an excuse, but I really couldn’t do what I wanted,” Beckham said.

“I just couldn’t move the way that I wanted to, so I think that’s why I’m more motivated now than ever. This is probably day nine or 10 after surgery and I’m just starting to move around and just mentally get ready for the process all over again, and just put my best foot forward. So I don’t think there’s really changing anybody, but I definitely think you’ll see a more focused, improved version of himself. Not what someone else wants him to be. And myself as well next year.”

He expressed that he wants himself and Jarvis Landry to function much like Thielen and Diggs, who both eclipsed 100 catches in 2018.

“Yep. I think that’s the plan, and I’m hoping that that’s the game plan,” Beckham told Complex. “It takes an army to get a team right. There’s no one player who—it’s not basketball. Basketball is a little different. One player can can dominate an entire game, offense, defense, and the team pitch in here and there and they still could win the game. Football is not like that.”

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Nero said:

Color me surprised. 

Honestly,  I  really  think that's a  real slice of OBJ. Of  course, until  it's not. :DThey didn't want to  admit it,  but  both Beckham and  Landry were playing  hurt  much of the  year.  Fixing Mayfield is a  bigger issue than fixing  OBJ- MHO.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Honestly,  I  really  think that's a  real slice of OBJ. Of  course, until  it's not. :DThey didn't want to  admit it,  but  both Beckham and  Landry were playing  hurt  much of the  year.  Fixing Mayfield is a  bigger issue than fixing  OBJ- MHO.

I blame most of Bakers problems on FK deviating from the gameplan... It was systemic as players were confused after the first set of scripted plays... Freddie cut his own throat.. Now I'm not excusing Baker... I really believe he's gonna come back strong this season despite the asshats running the store...

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'll believe OBJ is serious when he shows up for all voluntary activities. Before that it's just mouth exercise.🤐

Exactly. 

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'll believe OBJ is serious when he shows up for all voluntary activities. Before that it's just mouth exercise.🤐

Depends on how long  the recovery is  for that surgery  he had. 

12 hours ago, Vambo said:

Stefanski’s background with the Vikings and utilizing two talented receivers in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen

It seemed Diggs was frustrated in those last two playoff games, I think they weren't getting him the ball. All I know is I watched one of those games and he was visibly upset. I guess we will see.

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

It is, but it won't be hard.  The Kitchens/Monken O was a mess.  That was doomed from day 1....we had early reports the team was having a hard time installing the O....they were still trying to install on the last game.  It's going to be much different this season.  Baker will look more like baker the rookie.

• Upvote 3

On 2/5/2020 at 3:28 AM, hoorta said:

That would all be fine if there wasn't the "You gotta get me outta here" he blew in opponents' ears after games.  Maybe the change in coaches has him inspired in the sense that he won't always feel like our offense is a lost Hee Haw episode. 

To your last point/concern. FWIW, fixing Mayfield wasn't nearly as difficult when Ken Zampese was his position coach.  Big reason is he put in the work in the off season to prove he was a legit #1 overall pick and the numbers didn't lie.  He wasn't even the starter when he arrived - so there was more work to be done before he stepped into the starting job and achieved some success at it. Unfortunately, the record setting rookie TD passes volume had him thinking this was an easier gig than anticipated; so the 2nd year outcome was very different.  It followed the old saying "if you fail to prepare then you should prepare to fail."   

We shall see...

OBJ kind of ticked me off with his drops this year and never really found his stride. We all kind of knew it was a problem when he said he couldn't "fully open up", and for a speedy WR, that can't be a good thing. However, I WAS impressed by him playing all 16 games. He could have EASILY shut it down at the end but he didn't do that. I'm beyond hopeful that his surgery will allow him to be his old self, and we could see a brand new passing attack based on his ability alone. He had the surgery early which means he will be available for all the offseason stuff which is imperative when a new staff comes in. I think the off field stuff will go away and we'll see a humble, hungry team. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

OBJ kind of ticked me off with his drops this year and never really found his stride. 

Yes....I remember when NYG dumped him and CLE got him......my first reaction was "what's wrong with him".....or did Cleveland just get the steal of the decade?

Hopefully OBJ and Landry (and Njoku) return to form and the BROWNS will have a scary passing attack to go along with their running attack.

37 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

. He had the surgery early which means he will be available for all the offseason stuff which is imperative when a new staff comes in. I think the off field stuff will go away and we'll see a humble, hungry team. 

Humble and hungry.  The entire team top to bottom.

Yes and not so full of themselves as HBO movie stars and commercial pitchmen.  Remember that and how we were all into that stuff?  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

OBJ kind of ticked me off with his drops this year and never really found his stride. We all kind of knew it was a problem when he said he couldn't "fully open up", and for a speedy WR, that can't be a good thing. However, I WAS impressed by him playing all 16 games. He could have EASILY shut it down at the end but he didn't do that. I'm beyond hopeful that his surgery will allow him to be his old self, and we could see a brand new passing attack based on his ability alone. He had the surgery early which means he will be available for all the offseason stuff which is imperative when a new staff comes in. I think the off field stuff will go away and we'll see a humble, hungry team. 

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Yes and not so full of themselves as HBO movie stars and commercial pitchmen.  Remember that and how we were all into that stuff?  ;)

I have ordered my Pollyanna Popcorn for August already. Cleaning the lenses off on the Brown tinted sunglasses.😎 Warming up the old voice......."The sun'll come out tomorrow!"🧙‍♀️

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Oh I remember. I remember thinking we were literally going to throw the ball all over the place and Baker would take a step in his development. I believe I predicted 9 wins at the low side, and 11 at the high side. Whoops. 

Baker definitely got baptized last year, and that could really be the absolute best thing to happen to him in his young career. 

21 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

At some point this will not end well.  I just hope before it ends we have a Lombardi trophy on display in Berea

i agree....but no lombardi trophy will be had.....unless we have a defense...yes there are issues with the offense....but the d is so bad that i don't see that being fixed in 1 or 2 yrs...so to your point, that is why it will not end well....obj will get frustrated again and cause problems....its in his dna....so forget all that bullshit that he said on this thread......he's obj and will always be obj....