THE BROWNS BOARD

What does the Chief Of Staff do?

calfoxwc

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

I can't eyeroll you any harder without going into a coma.

You're not making this thread to praise this womans work or debate her merits as a coach.  Your 1st and seconds comments, your very posts, were simply to insult the way she looks.

Put a fucking sock in it, Cal.

not true, princess. I didn't insult the way she looks, I honestly thought they had the wrong picture.

She just had her hair cut short in that picture. I saw the news, because my Wife called me in from the kitchen. We both wondered if they had the wrong picture accidently. It is unusual, but in the last picture, if that is her, she has longer blond hair. The pic threw me, admittedly. I never heard of her before.

You just hate her for being a real deal and working her way up to being an NFL coach. Must really dash your king kong football ego, eh? There are other women in the NFL too.

Superbowl, even.  They KNOW football, and LOVE the game. Far, far more than a few "x's" and "o's".

Here's her commercial:

https://www.khou.com/article/sports/nfl/superbowl/microsoft-katie-sowers-super-bowl-ad/285-beac7405-408f-4b3d-9a0a-0f67a130aed5

What does the Chief Of Staff do?

Freeze funds until investigations are announced?

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

So they hire some butch bull dyke and the usual gay crowd in here is happy.

Could you at least try to find a flattering picture of yo' boy for your avatar?

2 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

cant escape PC ism

Someone has to compensate for the unfeeling assholes of the world.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Okay I’m fine with them hiring a woman in staff but couldn’t they pick someone who actually looks and sounds like a woman? Seriously I listened to an interview of this “girl” and all I could think is how it’s a girl taking male hormones because she completely sounded like a guy. So great, we hired a trans man basically. 

Fuck all of that progressive bullshit, I just wanna win some football games. 

• Upvote 1

This thread's evolution is fascinating, especially considering calfox.

It starts with him obviously faking some confusion, to make a thinly veiled joke about a woman who looks "guyish".... but then his Browns RAH-RAH homerism kicked in, and HE LOVES THIS MOVE, IT IS OBVIOUSLY BRILLIANT! 

Of course, the usual suspects have to frantically scroll their mouse over Confederate flag mouse pad on their 12 year old PC to RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE all over this thread, because their tender, masculine sensibilities have been ruffled. 

Tia's bitch slap of cal is the cherry on top of Tour summing up the situation nicely. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This thread's evolution is fascinating, especially considering calfox.

It starts with him obviously faking some confusion, to make a thinly veiled joke about a woman who looks "guyish".... but then his Browns RAH-RAH homerism kicked in, and HE LOVES THIS MOVE, IT IS OBVIOUSLY BRILLIANT! 

Of course, the usual suspects have to frantically scroll their mouse over Confederate flag mouse pad on their 12 year old PC to RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE all over this thread, because their tender, masculine sensibilities have been ruffled. 

Tia's bitch slap of cal is the cherry on top of Tour summing up the situation nicely. 

Posting for the first time in years from my iPhone 11 Pro actually, and my pc is two years old. 

sorry I just don’t want a freak weirdo on my team that takes male hormones. Mark my words but I guarantee that this woman eventually comes out as a female to male trans. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, beefjerky said:

Posting for the first time in years from my iPhone 11 Pro actually, and my pc is two years old. 

sorry I just don’t want a freak weirdo on my team that takes male hormones. Mark my words but I guarantee that this woman eventually comes out as a female to male trans. 

Who gives two shits then?   You?   Why bother?    

What if he/she...TF ever actually benefits this coaching staff and becomes something of an invaluable resource?     

Call me old fashion, I tend to focus on the shit that actually matters to what the subject is at hand.

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Who gives two shits then?   You?   Why bother?    

What if he/she...TF ever actually benefits this coaching staff and becomes something of an invaluable resource?     

Call me old fashion, I tend to focus on the shit that actually matters to what the subject is at hand.

I’m skeptical that she was the best available option. If we win after all of this then I don’t care obviously. But it seems to me Stefanski is trying to construct a “progressive” staff instead of actually trying to assemble the best football minds available. 

at least she’s unfuckable with that haircut and voice so she won’t be a locker room distraction I guess. 

• Haha 1

Meanwhile back at the thread...

I'd never heard of an NFL HC having a "Chief of Staff", but then read Stef's comments about that was his role under Brad Childress. Turned out to be Stef's big career break and he swore he'd pass along the opportunity, if he ever got the chance... and now he has.

Duties? Sounds like a communications conduit basis with a fair amount of TBD on top. Person might hear a lot more than the Staff is willing to tell "the boss"... at least initially. Then assuming the info is handled the right way by Stef, it should open up greater direct lines of communication.

Interesting move creating the position and an interesting choice to fill it... even if she was rooting for the 'Canes...

34 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Meanwhile back at the thread...

I'd never heard of an NFL HC having a "Chief of Staff",

Thank you!  

I think of, West Wing.

I guess The Ghoul would call the position, Coffee Fetcher.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

My guess is, Tiam applied for the job and lost out.

Her book on football far exceeded his "x" and "x", and "o" and "o", which took him 45 seconds to elaborate on. He's just mad. Too bad. He'll get over it.

4 hours ago, beefjerky said:

So?

4 hours ago, beefjerky said:

Okay I’m fine with them hiring a woman in staff but couldn’t they pick someone who actually looks and sounds like a woman? Seriously I listened to an interview of this “girl” and all I could think is how it’s a girl taking male hormones because she completely sounded like a guy. So great, we hired a trans man basically. 

Fuck all of that progressive bullshit, I just wanna win some football games. 

If you just want to win football games, what do you care what she looks and sounds like?

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, beefjerky said:

Modern stuff owned by a Neanderthal🐒. Go figure.:P

My concern for her in this position would be the same for any female in this position - no matter her looks, voice, haircut or sexual orientation - the respect factor.

I didn't read all the links in the thread, but if this is a true chief of staff position then this individual is the gateway to the HC. That means not everything gets to the head coach from the staff but everything from the head coach gets to the staff, that means juggling egos on the staff, mediating, counseling both the head coach and the staff and commanding the room when needed. Does the staff need a chief? I thought that was the head coaches job.

Here's a real world scenario the Browns faced in the last two seasons: Todd Haley, the OC with a 20 year NFL resume, and Gregg Williams, the DC with a 30 year NFL resume, could not stand each other. They got chippy in practice. They got chippy on Hard Knocks. We can only imagine the the verbal exchanges not seen once the cameras left and the losing started. The chief of staff would mediate through disagreements with those two. How would that have gone?

According to Browns.com, I did see she was an assistant coach high in school football as late as 2017. Imagine the cynicism from this board if the Browns hired a 30 year old man that two and a half years previous was an assistant coach and algebra teacher. I remember cynicism towards Mike Pettine and he had nearly 15 years of NFL experience since leaving North Penn when the Browns hired him.

From my standpoint, looks, hair, voice, and sexual preference do not matter. She will have the respect of ownership - they have no choice, she will have the respect of the Front Office - they will have no choice. I hope she has the respect of the staff and the locker room, or this will go nowhere.

And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, AP1 said:

And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems.

One caveat however. Stefanski has successfully served in that position and knows what it entails. He wanted someone to have that same function for the Browns. Given how well everything has NOT gone here, I say give it a chance. It cannot be worse than what we have had in the past, so nothing to lose and everything to gain the way the new HC wants to try it.👍

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

One caveat however. Stefanski has successfully served in that position and knows what it entails. He wanted someone to have that same function for the Browns. Given how well everything has NOT gone here, I say give it a chance. It cannot be worse than what we have had in the past, so nothing to lose and everything to gain the way the new HC wants to try it.👍

I cannot argue that. 

22 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm fine with it also since Stefanski wanted it but when it comes to our owner I would rather see someone with a vision and a plan for this team for the present and the future and then stick with it and not seemingly using the throwing something against the wall and hoping it sticks approach. 

SF has a WR coach that's a female.  Does that make John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan stupid?  Tampa has a strength training coach that's a female that Bruce Arians brought with him.

It's not their fault they have more testosterone than Austin Corbett.  

• Haha 3

On 1/31/2020 at 9:11 PM, D Bone said:

As a coach of a female only sport for the last 18yrs, I say it's pretty fucking awesome and am all for it. 

OK, so I've been waiting for more hires like this for a while. The ONLY concern I have is whether or not the process is carried out correctly. What do I mean? Well, for one I'm not sure about her title. I would NOT have given her an ambiguous title that doesn't clearly define her role. To me, that's setting her up for failure. She needs to be "defensive backs coach" or "quality control analyst" or something like that. 

They haven't done that, instead they made her "Chief of Staff", which to fans, sounds like a concocted attempt to give her an artificially inflated title. I worked for the government for over a decade in 3 different agencies, and Chief of Staff was a VERY big deal. Now, obviously football and government are two totally different things, but how does she fit into the infrastructure of the team? 

Perhaps the fans and media don't NEED to know, but again, I think that would be another error in helping females infiltrate the manliest of sports. They should also be cautious not to give her more authority than she's possibly earned. Other players and especially other coaches will sniff that out immediately and you will definitely have internal discord. Most of all, that wouldn't be fair to HER. She strikes me as a person who is willing to do whatever it takes to reach her goal of working in the NFL. She's young, let her work her way up. 

Again, this is all speculation on my part. For all I know she's getting coffee for everyone, but I seriously doubt it. I think it's past time for women to have a role in the NFL. They can love football as much as us even if they can't really play the game. That might sound a little harsh, but it's true. I hope she does well, and I REALLY hope it's done right. Don't make her a story, let her work her way up, and let's make some history while winning a shitload of football games. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

OK, so I've been waiting for more hires like this for a while. The ONLY concern I have is whether or not the process is carried out correctly. What do I mean? Well, for one I'm not sure about her title. I would NOT have given her an ambiguous title that doesn't clearly define her role. To me, that's setting her up for failure. She needs to be "defensive backs coach" or "quality control analyst" or something like that. 

They haven't done that, instead they made her "Chief of Staff", which to fans, sounds like a concocted attempt to give her an artificially inflated title. I worked for the government for over a decade in 3 different agencies, and Chief of Staff was a VERY big deal. Now, obviously football and government are two totally different things, but how does she fit into the infrastructure of the team? 

Perhaps the fans and media don't NEED to know, but again, I think that would be another error in helping females infiltrate the manliest of sports. They should also be cautious not to give her more authority than she's possibly earned. Other players and especially other coaches will sniff that out immediately and you will definitely have internal discord. Most of all, that wouldn't be fair to HER. She strikes me as a person who is willing to do whatever it takes to reach her goal of working in the NFL. She's young, let her work her way up. 

Again, this is all speculation on my part. For all I know she's getting coffee for everyone, but I seriously doubt it. I think it's past time for women to have a role in the NFL. They can love football as much as us even if they can't really play the game. That might sound a little harsh, but it's true. I hope she does well, and I REALLY hope it's done right. Don't make her a story, let her work her way up, and let's make some history while winning a shitload of football games. 

in the famous words of the ghoul

she's a coffee fetcher 

damnit it was supposed to be pink

Edited by ATOM
color

Wow. Somewhere in my head I thought people were past the idea of giving a shit if someone was a man or a woman in charge, but clearly chauvinism is prevalent everywhere.

IMOP, her role is to make sure everyone is on the same page with everything from meetings, to trips, to equipment to analytical data, etc. She is the organization behind the chaos that occurs when you have to run a team. She takes care of the minutia so that Stefanski doesn't have to deal with it. This is why it's such an important role. There are so many things going on from a week to week basis that has absolutely nothing to do with the game but is critical to how the team is run. I have worked on the medical side of football for almost 20 years and I can tell you, especially away games, it takes an extremely large amount of communication to ensure that everyone has what they need. And that is just one aspect! Stefanski can focus on the FB aspect of the game. She can focus on the other parts. It's equally beneficial. She learns how to develop a program and how a team is run, and he can delegate through her. She's going to learn things about how to run an organization more than she is going to learn about the X and Os. 

Great hire. Wish Freddie would have been forward thinking enough to have a position like this...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Show proof that she's bad at policy.

huh?  what does policy have to do with political correctness?  to be PC here (in my comment to tiama63) who was responding to cal and the trending tone of 

of the thread turning ugly... is simply to acknowledge the days we live in and the landmines afoot when TALKING about someone elses orientation.   

I happen to think she might be good at her role.

Are you just another Republican who thinks all women are incompetent?

wont answer that because it shows just how STOOPID you are in this rediculouus take of yours ... that and getting kicked out from zombo for talking politics in here.