THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoping for a more mature Baker

MDDawg

Nothing unusual about gaining weight after getting married.

Been there, done that....

... twice.

Fortunately the effects were not additive.

19 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Soooooooo....lots of people were kind of hoping for something like this, and we got it. The problem is, Baker is wrong. He says he got here by keeping his head down and working. Well, that's somewhat true, but he got here by being brash, outspoken, and being deadly accurate with the effing ball.

Yup... The internal fire that drove him to show up his detractors also fueled his mouth... which produced detractors... which fueled... etc. It was the perfect engine so long as the performance level was there. And then it wasn't...

I get the whole Humble Pie thing (Steve Marriott died way too young)... mending bridges... but that's all public image stuff designed more for his marketability, than his football. At least that's what his entire football history suggests. Did anyone see inner-determination in these latest interviews? Any intensity in his eyes? I didn't.

Can he reinvent himself? Find another source of inspiration? Anything is possible... but I don't think it's likely.

After we drafted Baker someone commented that sentiment here had shifted away from him being an asshole to which I replied, "Sure... because he's our asshole now." Hope I'm wrong, but I think there's a good chance that we will end up missing our asshole.

6 hours ago, nickers said:

Lay off the Kid.. He'll be fine... How many of you had your shit together at that age?... That's what I figured...

How is he going to be fine with going 2-14?

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Hope I'm wrong, but I think there's a good chance that we will end up missing our asshole.

Jesus, being a Browns fan is tough enough, now we'll have to deal with this?

Going to get real backed up.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Nothing unusual about gaining weight after getting married.

Been there, done that....

... twice.

Fortunately the effects were not additive.

Yup... The internal fire that drove him to show up his detractors also fueled his mouth... which produced detractors... which fueled... etc. It was the perfect engine so long as the performance level was there. And then it wasn't...

I get the whole Humble Pie thing (Steve Marriott died way too young)... mending bridges... but that's all public image stuff designed more for his marketability, than his football. At least that's what his entire football history suggests. Did anyone see inner-determination in these latest interviews? Any intensity in his eyes? I didn't.

Can he reinvent himself? Find another source of inspiration? Anything is possible... but I don't think it's likely.

After we drafted Baker someone commented that sentiment here had shifted away from him being an asshole to which I replied, "Sure... because he's our asshole now." Hope I'm wrong, but I think there's a good chance that we will end up missing our asshole.

How is he going to be fine with going 2-14?

You tell me , Genius!

On 1/31/2020 at 6:24 PM, jiggins7919 said:

Soooooooo....lots of people were kind of hoping for something like this, and we got it. The problem is, Baker is wrong. He says he got here by keeping his head down and working. Well, that's somewhat true, but he got here by being brash, outspoken, and being deadly accurate with the effing ball. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved hearing what he said, but Baker missing high all year has nothing to do with his attention to social media. He needs to get his freaking stance corrected AND he needs a proper tight end. and a play in the huddle before 15 seconds are left, because he needs to tell OBJ where to line up 50% of the time.

You don't set an NFL touchdown record by accident, so Baker can definitely play. Lots went wrong last year, and we probably should have known what to expect after week 1. I remember thinking, "Oh shit." 

Oh shit indeed, as Baker would go on to miss people in the end zone, lock onto targets preemptively, and generally be a football butthole of the highest order. What I don't know is how much of this disaster was our coach's fault. We were a shit show, even in most victories, and I want to believe a fresh start will greatly help our enigmatic QB. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 6:52 AM, nickers said:

Lay off the Kid.. He'll be fine... How many of you had your shit together at that age?... That's what I figured...

Not me! 😂

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bob806 said:

and a play in the huddle before 15 seconds are left, because he needs to tell OBJ where to line up 50% of the time.

Yessssssss. 

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Baker is the kind of guy I would not bet against, and he's made a career out of proving people wrong. We will know exactly what kind of player he is after this season....one way or the other. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Did anyone see inner-determination in these latest interviews? Any intensity in his eyes? I didn't.

I thought this was an interesting observation. I don’t think it was determination or intensity that l was looking for in this interview setting, but Baker came off as ordinary and kinda boring in that first interview, like many athletes do. Saying what was expected of him and repeating himself. He really does have some panache but didn’t show it there.

That’s why he gets speaking roles in commercials and Mahomes does not. 

I’m not looking for that fire to go away, or whatever it is that makes Baker the cocky mofo that he is.  I just want it to evolve.

Take that instance the last game where a Cincy fan was razzing him, and his response was “why don’t you tell me that to my face”? Yawn. There’s about a hundred things he coulda said that are wittier and more fun. “At least l don’t have to eat Skyline after the game.” 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 6:52 AM, nickers said:

You and I aren't paid millions of dollars to lead NFL teams. The question is how many successful NFL QBs had their shit together at that age. Prescott, Wilson, Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, etc...all young QBs who conducted themselves more or less the right way. So...it can be done. Baker needs to grow up, put down the Twinkies and hit the gym. Having a decent mentor wouldn't hurt either.

3 hours ago, hish747 said:

You and I aren't paid millions of dollars to lead NFL teams. The question is how many successful NFL QBs had their shit together at that age. Prescott, Wilson, Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, etc...all young QBs who conducted themselves more or less the right way. So...it can be done. Baker needs to grow up, put down the Twinkies and hit the gym. Having a decent mentor wouldn't hurt either.

STFU moron... get over it...

On 2/1/2020 at 5:52 AM, nickers said:

At his age I was an Infantry 1Lt. I'm still here so the answer is obvious. I got about $500/mo. plus combat duty pay and was in far better shape than the kid on the boat who gets paid millions to do his job and be in playing shape to do it right. So he needs to STFU and get in the weight room before "poof", he's JFF II.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

At his age I was an Infantry 1Lt. I'm still here so the answer is obvious. I got about $500/mo. plus combat duty pay and was in far better shape than the kid on the boat who gets paid millions to do his job and be in playing shape to do it right. So he needs to STFU and get in the weight room before "poof", he's JFF II.

Ditto.

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Again STFU Moron!

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

So, what's the deal about Baker getting a hummer behind the Cheesecake Factory by a woman who is decidedly NOT his wife? 🤣🤣

i didnt bother to read the article figured it was more than likely bullshit 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

She definitely had the look of a girl giving blowies behind a Cheesecake Factory... 😁

Oh God sounds like high school again.  :lol:

• Haha 1

• Zombo locked this topic