THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns To Announce Berry as GM

darren15

One of my main problems going forward is with everyone reporting to the owner.

It makes it waayy too easy to start throwing one another under the bus.  And it's for that reason that I think Jimmy LIKES this type of setup.  He LIKES hearing dirt about the 'others'.  

.....might be better off having them report to the new Chief Of Staff.....

36 minutes ago, Orion said:

One of my main problems going forward is with everyone reporting to the owner.

It makes it waayy too easy to start throwing one another under the bus.  And it's for that reason that I think Jimmy LIKES this type of setup.  He LIKES hearing dirt about the 'others'.  

.....might be better off having them report to the new Chief Of Staff.....

You mean a football Czar?

They had one of those in Mike Holmgren, and that set up didn’t work either.

5 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

You mean a football Czar?

Tongue in cheek, sort of.  Anything is better than having Jimmy in the loop.  But now we've got him in THREE loops.

I can almost understand DePo having his own path to Jimmy.  The analytics guy.  Although he also works with the GM & HC.  He's not breaking down the film regarding player's technique, but he has other info (character, value, etc.)

It's not that I don't think that a HC & GM being equals on the organizational chart is inherently a bad thing.  I just think when it's JIMMY in the equation....it's safer to have fewer people in his ear.

Will Berry even fill the Eliot Wolf position? I hate the idea that Berry can only talk nuts & bolts of football to 2 nuts.. Highsmith's position, you would think, would have to have a newbie?  

On 2/1/2020 at 2:47 PM, Orion said:

I don't think it's so much that Jimmah likes hearing dirt as it is he likes being in the loop(s). My impression, and I think yours as well, is that others have sidled up to him for some one-on-one time, namely Dorsey and Hue and Farmer. That's why there's been such an emphasis of filling key positions with guys who can work together, i.e., collaborate.

My question is: How much is Jimmah in Berea these days? If answer is "not much", then odds are he only has weekly meetings with the key Depo-Berry-Stef trio as a group. Minimizing sidle opportunities isn't as important now as it might be during the 2020 season, but it can't hurt to do so early when the trio is learning how to work together.

19 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Will Berry even fill the Eliot Wolf position? I hate the idea that Berry can only talk nuts & bolts of football to 2 nuts.. Highsmith's position, you would think, would have to have a newbie?  

The Head of College Scouting is the only position I see as a "must fill", but I'd expect Berry to tab an Asst. GM as well. The question is timing. How much value is there in spending the time to bring in new folks this close to the Draft vs. focusing on Big Board prep.

Here's the transcript of Berry's introductory press conference...  I can read faster than he can talk... It's not going to be all analytics folks....  

"Now listen – I want to make this very clear because I know a lot has been rumored and said about this topic – we will be a scouting-centered front office because I have always believed and I continue to believe scouting to be the lifeblood of roster building in the NFL. We also are going to incorporate information, research and insights into our decision making." 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/andrew-berry-discusses-his-new-role-as-browns-gm-at-introductory-press-conference-transcript.html

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

"Now listen – I want to make this very clear because I know a lot has been rumored and said about this topic – we will be a scouting-centered front office because I have always believed and I continue to believe scouting to be the lifeblood of roster building in the NFL. We also are going to incorporate information, research and insights into our decision making." 

THAT was the best part of his presser, for me anyway.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It was never going to be "all analytics".

Everyone knows that.  But it is real high tech stuff.

517NR3A6KrL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

21 hours ago, Icecube said:

Sigh. All they've done is rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic. Nothing more. 

Can't go that far yet, but I understand the sentiment.

My two hopes are:

1. Stef has the leadership chops to be a HC. Indications out of MN are good.
  2. Behind the scenes Berry was consistently "righter" about player moves during his three-year tenure here than the collection wisdom in the building.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:08 PM, Icecube said:

Sigh. All they've done is rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic. Nothing more. 

This is a tired analogy. Sure, first time l read it l thought it was witty. I’m sure there are plenty of other things that could have been rearranged on the Titanic. Silverware drawers, linen cabinets, Leonardo DiCaprio's.

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Can't go that far yet, but I understand the sentiment.

My two hopes are:

1. Stef has the leadership chops to be a HC. Indications out of MN are good.
  2. Behind the scenes Berry was consistently "righter" about player moves during his three-year tenure here than the collection wisdom in the building.

Can Stef traverse all the craziness and be a conductor to make it work? Well, it's gotta be an improvement over last year, right? Baker matured some, Cluster f---k Freddie gone.