THE BROWNS BOARD

ASTROS Cheaters? How severe should the penalties be? Clevinger speaks out...

mjp28

ASTROS Cheaters? How severe should the penalties be?  Clevinger speaks out......  (from the browns forum)

Let's shift gears abit with Terry Pluto, cheating in sports baseball style. https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/01/like-mike-clevinger-many-mlb-players-should-be-angry-with-cheating-houston-astros.html

Like Mike Clevinger, many MLB players should be angry with cheating Houston Astros

Posted Jan 21, 2020

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland Indians pitcher Mike Clevinger’s rage about the Houston Astros cheating scandal was powerful because he spoke for the average-to-marginal player fighting to stay in the big leagues.

Clevinger unleashed his fury in a video for an online site named Momentum, a company connected with former Tribe pitcher (and Clevinger buddy) Trevor Bauer.

Clevinger said batters knowing what pitches are coming is “worse than steroids."

He could be right.

Steroids can make players stronger, and not just hitters. Pitchers also used them to increase their velocity. Sometimes, baseball turned into a battle of chemists as “juiced" pitchers faced “chemically enhanced” hitters.

But the Astros used video equipment and other means to steal signs from opposing pitchers and relay the information to the hitter, according to a recent MLB report.

Good luck if you’re a pitcher....... continued in link......

BIG PRICE, LITTLE PAY. (from the article)

Until a player reaches the Class AAA level, the money is embarrassingly low.

Let’s look at Clevinger, who was a fourth-round pick by the Angels in 2011. His bonus was $250,000.

That sounds good. Let’s say he cleared about $170,000 after taxes.

Then reality hits: Welcome to the minors.

Most players start at rookie ball, where the average salary is about $1,100 per month during the season. That’s about $5,500 for the year.

The salaries rise a bit with each level. By the time a player is at Class AA, he makes about $12,000 a year. They often have off-season jobs. The Indians in 2011 had a pitcher named Josh Judy who finally made the Majors. For several winters, he worked at the Wal-Mart in Fairlawn, usually in electronics.

Judy pitched 13 years of pro ball, including several seasons in Mexico and other foreign outputs. His Major League career consisted of 14 innings and a 7.07 ERA. He spent parts of five seasons in Class AAA.

THE LONG CLIMB.  (from the article)

It took Clevinger five years, an elbow reconstruction surgery and a trade to Cleveland before he finally arrived at Class AAA. After five years in Class AA and lower levels while making less than $10,000, that $170,000 (after taxes) signing bonus was long gone.

“I’ve been there,” said Clevinger. “I’ve had to live with my mom until I got to the big leagues. And now you’re telling me that someone could have potentially shorted my career or sent me back down because they knew what I was throwing when I was in their park?”

Clevinger first reached the Major Leagues in 2016 with the Indians. He made three trips that season between Class AAA Columbus and Cleveland........

In 2017, he made three more trips up and down I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus before he finally stuck with the Tribe

From a link in the story after all of the work and surgery Clevinger was one of the lucky ones that finally made it to the big time.

Mike Clevinger rhp
1 year/$4.1M (2020)

• 1 year/$4.1M (2020)
    • re-signed by Cleveland 1/10/20 (avoided arbitration)\
  • 1 year/$592,200 (2019). <---- a bargain at that price !
    • re-signed by Cleveland 3/19
  • 1 year/$558,500 (2018)
    • re-signed by Cleveland 3/18
  • 1 year (2017)
    • re-signed by Cleveland 3/17
  • 1 year (2016)
    • contract selected by Cleveland 11/20/15
    • re-signed by Cleveland 3/16
  • acquired by Cleveland in trade from LA Angels 8/7/14
  • drafted by LA Angels 2011 (4-135) (Seminole State JC, Fla.)
  • $250,000 signing bonus
  • agent: BBI Sports
  • ML service: 3.041

And the INDIANS Good Glove catcher is locked up until 2020 with club options through 2022.

Roberto Perez c
4 years/$9M (2017-20), plus 2021-22 options

• 4 years/$9M (2017-20), plus 2021-22 club options
    • signed extension with Cleveland 4/2/17, replacing one-year, $0.5423M contract signed 3/17
    • $0.5M signing bonus
    • 17:$550,000, 18:$1.5M, 19:$2.5M, 20:$3.5M, 21:$5.5M club option ($450,000 buyout), 22:$7M club option ($450,000 buyout)
  • 1 year/$515,800 (2016)
    • re-signed by Cleveland 3/16
  • 1 year/$508,600 (2015)
    • re-signed by Cleveland 3/10/15
  • 1 year (2014)
    • contract selected by Cleveland 7/8/14
  • drafted by Cleveland 2008 (33-1,011) (Lake City CC, Fla.)
  • agent: MDR Sports
  • ML service: 5.083

MLB just wants this to go away. The players won’t get in any trouble from the league

But if the Astros play the Dodgers. I wouldn’t dig in too much 🤪

• Upvote 1