THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2020 Free Agency Thread...

Tour2ma

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Per  CBS Sports,   here are the Top 12 Free Agents remaining that have yet gone unsigned:

Jadaveon Clowney  DE

Jameis Winston QB

Brian Bulaga RT

Robby Anderson WR

Melvin Gordon RB

Xavier Rhodes  CB

Breshard Perriman  WR

Logan Ryan CB

Jason Peters   LT

Shelby Harris   DL

HaHa Clinton-Dix  Safety

Damarius Randall   Safety

No thanks. Definitely no to Clowney. Wants crazy $ when he's just OK. 

Clowney was impactful last season in SEA and has turned out to be reliable physically. He will get the Edge premium he deserves.

The remaining name that jumps out at me is Logan Ryan. After struggling for a couple years in Nashville he returned to his NE form last season with 4 INTs, 4 FFs and 113 tackles... 113 ! That is a massive total for a CB. Only question could be motivation since he bounced back in a contract year, but he was pretty consistent through his 4-years in NE.

• Upvote 1

FA Grades for all teams to date...

• Best Grade of "A+" goes to AZ Cardinals.
  • Worst Grade of "F" goes to da Bears...

Spoiler Alert... We got an "A"..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/free-agency-grades-for-every-nfl-team-so-far/ss-BB11r3Aj?ocid=spartandhp&fullscreen=true#image=1

i have a list of 2...Sign DE- Everson Griffen & LB- Clay Mathews lll ..  wind them up & let them go.. whats 15M? when we sit on 50M of cap room..

$50mm minus the draftee signing reserve... Puts us just over $40mm.

Already commented on Everson...

Clay? Torn, but have to say I'm a, no. On the downside of career... not a good scheme fit... just can't get there.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, The Gipper said:

Colt McCoy signs as backup for NY Giants.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/19/giants-sign-colt-mccoy/

The fact that Colt is still around is somewhat amazing. 

I think he's a decent backup, if You're OK with one who you know won't ever be a legit starter. Ideally, you'd love to be grooming a starter, but few teams can. Is Colt better than Brady, Weeden, Kessler?

31 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I think he's a decent backup, if You're OK with one who you know won't ever be a legit starter. Ideally, you'd love to be grooming a starter, but few teams can. Is Colt better than Brady, Weeden, Kessler?

Well he's the vet backup/mentor now for Jones who they clearly believe is their guy... he's the Stanton to their Mayfield.

Tom Brady? No... but Brady Quinn, Wheezy and Kess? IMO, yes, I'd roll with Colt.

About 5 years into his NFL career his arm finally came back all the way from the nerve damage he suffered his Sr. year vs. BAMA in the BCS Championship.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Well he's the vet backup/mentor now for Jones who they clearly believe is their guy... he's the Stanton to their Mayfield.

Tom Brady? No... but Brady Quinn, Wheezy and Kess? IMO, yes, I'd roll with Colt.

About 5 years into his NFL career his arm finally came back all the way from the nerve damage he suffered his Sr. year vs. BAMA in the BCS Championship.

I forgot about that. 

Emmanuel Sanders signed away from 49ers by NOLA...

2-yr $16mm deal...

Nice get by Saints... a Sanders/Thomas duo is gonna stress out some DCs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/wr-sanders-signs-with-saints-for-2-years-dollar16-million/ar-BB11ugWb?ocid=spartandhp

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Emmanuel Sanders signed away from 49ers by NOLA...

2-yr $16mm deal...

Nice get by Saints... a Sanders/Thomas duo is gonna stress out some DCs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/wr-sanders-signs-with-saints-for-2-years-dollar16-million/ar-BB11ugWb?ocid=spartandhp

That seals the deal. I go for Brees as my 1st draft pick next year in FFL.

2 hours ago, ATOM said:

I could have sworn they just signed Pierre to a extension 

Pat yourself on the back...

image.thumb.png.e7b3217936f65495b0955da2859830eb.png

The "$2.5" seems to be a typo... should be $25 million.

Have to guess that the size of Rivers' contract cost Pierre his spot... that and the guarantees were all in his 2019 pay. No dead money...

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Pat yourself on the back...

image.thumb.png.e7b3217936f65495b0955da2859830eb.png

The "$2.5" seems to be a typo... should be $25 million.

Have to guess that the size of Rivers' contract cost Pierre his spot.

i allways liked that guy he balled out for us the guy went through alot of shit in his prior nfl life  would be nice if we brought him back

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Top Ten  FAs still out there unsigned:

#1.. Jadaveon Clowney  DL

Got to admit..Been watching Seattle's Clowney rag doll a good 9'ers front on the Network.. Seattle wants him back and reports say they offered him 18M to do so (seeing now, Sea. offered 13M, but who can anybody believe?)...JC refused, to go test the FA market.. and watching 5 quarters (OT) of Hawks beating 49'ers on MNF ain't going to hurt his case... Some teams going to pay him..

A pretty good free agency period so far for us.  Of course we had so many holes and let so many players walk that we HAD to have a pretty good free agency period.   It takes the pressure off the draft a bit.  We need an OT (I say, LT), we need an edge rusher,  (two major positions)  we need a G and another LB'er (or 2).   Still plenty of work to do.

In a week's time we've taken OFF of our needs list:  1 OT (I say, RT), Backup QB, TE,  2 Safeties, and running downs MLB. (I guess we can include FB too, since we now have 2 of 'em).

Both aqib talib and desir were under 60 this past year. Josh Norman was a 45 and looked like he was mentally already coaching high school rather than playing on Sundays.

I hope we actually sign Brandon Carr who was a 66 this past season -- serviceable, but not worth the high-priced contract he was playing under.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I swear there was a thread on here yesterday that said the Browns signed CB Richard Sherman? 

I think you have been affected by the corner virus :)

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Billings is my under-appreciated signing favorite so far.  Kid has room for growth in his game and brings something to the table that makes me forget about investing mid to late round picks on interior 1gap pluggers.

I agree I’d rather have a known commodity in the dline rotation than break in a rookie who may or may not have it in year 1.  

21 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Got to admit..Been watching Seattle's Clowney rag doll a good 9'ers front on the Network

A lot of it vs the run I'm betting...

Clowney's Pass Rush numbers were down, I've read more than one account about 2020 being his best season vs. the run to date.