THE BROWNS BOARD

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Here is the list of acts that are to be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame:

They are Depeche Mode,
The Doobie Brothers,
Whitney Houston,
Nine Inch Nails,
The Notorious B.I.G.
T-Rex.
Jon Landau and Irving Azoff are the recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award.

I am highly ambivalent about this group.  How is Depeche Mode more deserving than a number of other 80s acts (that I think were better)  like Culture Club,  Tears for Fears, others.    T-Rex was highly mediocre in my opinion. 
Them in lieu of like Jethro Tull, Procul Harum?  And others...laughable.
Whitney I get.  In the genre of Pop goddesses, she may be more deserving that Mariah Carey, Celine Dion
I will defer on the rap artists.   Notorious BIG is a BIG name anyway...
Nine Inch Nails?  Also a big name in that genre, whatever that genre is (punk, rock, alt, grunge,...like Green Day, I am not sure).
Going back to pull in the Doobie Brothers?  I guess....they had a lot of hit songs and were a good band. Not at the top of their era, but good. 

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

All too similar.  Nine Inch Nails represents the "heavy" set. 

you are on either drain bamaged or more than likely never listened to their music except for the crap the radio feeds down your throat 

45 minutes ago, ATOM said:

you are on either drain bamaged or more than likely never listened to their music except for the crap the radio feeds down your throat 

Right....  I am not familiar with the music of all those acts.  I do see what I have been told is basically metal music:  MC5, Judas Priest.   I understand that Soundgarden was part of the Seattle grunge theme, which, to me, just seems a variation of metal music.   Thin Lizzy, I think, can perhaps be considered somewhat pop...but with metal leanigs. 

But, by all means, educate us on the differences between all those acts. 

all right ill start with 

The MC5  a counterculture movement that basically invented Punk back in the mid 60's their Rock N Roll was a kick in the face to the fascist's  that ran the country at the time That alone should make them worthy

Thin Lizzy are more of a folk blues band not fucking metal and the true best band from Ireland they had their hits here in the us but were also so important  because of their bandmates who were a mix of Protestants and Catholics and in that circa was unheard of

look man there is more than just music going on here

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Why?  Because a few metalheads think that their favorite monotonous band didn't get in?

Actually anybody's favorite bands regardless of genre.  Including your own. And not necessarily because I love any of the bands that Atom possted you don't know the difference. I don't fault you for not knowing the difference only for blaring away about it with no knowledge.

WSS

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually anybody's favorite bands regardless of genre.  Including your own. And not necessarily because I love any of the bands that Atom possted you don't know the difference. I don't fault you for not knowing the difference only for blaring away about it with no knowledge.

WSS

Fair enough......they are monotonous bands of different genres.  I will take your word of that. 

3 hours ago, Axe said:

That never stops him, no matter the subject ;)

If they want to call it the "Music Hall of Fame" then I'd have far less problem with that. But calling it the Rock n Roll HOF is ridiculous.

If they want to call it the Rock n Roll HOF, then some could say they should have stopped inducting anyone after  Buddy Holly,  Bill Haley and Chuck Berry.   

But what I take of this is that Rock n Roll will not be pigeon holed, and neither my standards nor yours will rein it in. 

And you critcize me for not knowing the "genre" of some of the acts mentioned above?   Their genre is Rock n Roll. No other distinction need be made. 

45 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But what I take of this is that Rock n Roll will not be pigeon holed, and neither my standards nor yours will rein it in. 

I agree with that. I'm not going to sit here and say anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to a I,IV,V arrangement format or play Strats exclusively should be excluded. There are a dizzying number of sub genres for every genre. My point is (and I'm sure you've been to the R&R HOF) that there is an obvious disconnect at a certain point in the visit from Rock n Roll. THAT is why I say call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you will but don't call it the R&R HOF.  It's no longer that.

Allow me to add Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush along with Ted Nugent to the list WTF aren't they in?

22 minutes ago, Axe said:

I agree with that. I'm not going to sit here and say anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to a I,IV,V arrangement format or play Strats exclusively should be excluded. There are a dizzying number of sub genres for every genre. My point is (and I'm sure you've been to the R&R HOF) that there is an obvious disconnect at a certain point in the visit from Rock n Roll. THAT is why I say call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you will but don't call it the R&R HOF.  It's no longer that.

Allow me to add Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush along with Ted Nugent to the list WTF aren't they in?

Wow I had forgotten about Frank saw em once open for Heart The Joe Perry Project was also there damn that was a long time ago

and i agree the rrhof is fucked up

27 minutes ago, Axe said:

It never was that.  Really. From the very first class.  From Ray Charles to James Brown to Buddy Holly etc. you had what I think were primarily blues guys, soul music, rockabilly,  "pop" idols etc. 

And to answer your second question:  I guess they are not in because they have not been felt to have been either good enough, or popular enough, or influential enough.

It like saying:  why aren't the Monkees in? Herman's Hermits?  These  acts were far, far more popular in their time than the guys you mention.  I don't think I know who Frank Marino is....related to Dan?   So, you see. 

15 hours ago, Axe said:

That never stops him, no matter the subject ;)

If they want to call it the "Music Hall of Fame" then I'd have far less problem with that. But calling it the Rock n Roll HOF is ridiculous.

Then again rock and roll specifically referred to the style of music pioneer by bill haley and the comets. That style is pretty much gone by the wayside except for a few modern revival. And remember that The Rock and Roll movement was also about rebellion which I think is closely aligned with the Hip Hop movement of more modern music. Even if I hated like my grandparents hated rock and roll. That's part of the reason it exists.

But I agree with you it doesn't seem like there's any hard-and-fast standard to get into this stupid Hall of Fame. Just a bunch of pompous assholes sitting around nominating guys they personally like or disrespecting the ones they don't know anything about.

WSS

• Upvote 1

I agree that there does not seem to be any criteria to get in........but maybe that is just in the tradition of Rock n Roll.   There are no boundaries, no rules for admission.  

Not even record sales seems to guarantee a spot.  

Mariah Carey and Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand are among the largest selling artists of all time.  Those three, along with Whitney Houston were among the top 20 best selling artists of all time, and each have been eligible for quite a few years, but Whitney  is the only one of these and she is just now  going in.    Maybe that satisfies the "that's not rock n roll" throng, keeping those others out. 

And,  Mariah Carey has had a song at #1 on the charts more weeks than anyone, including Elvis and The Beatles.  

And they include and exclude certain top artists of different genres:   Johnny Cash is in, but Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson are not...in the Country realm.

Peter, Paul, and Mary are not in, but Simon and Garfunkel, who are, I think in sort of the same genre....folk....are.

And no doubt there is controversy about who, how, and why some acts get in.   Here is a blurb with different perspectives from two members of the same act...that is NOT in, but many believe should be in:

In June 2007, Monkee Peter Tork complained to the New York Post that Wenner had blackballed the Monkees, commenting:

[Wenner] doesn't care what the rules are and just operates how he sees fit. It is an abuse of power. I don't know whether the Monkees belong in the Hall of Fame, but it's pretty clear that we're not in there because of a personal whim. Jann seems to have taken it harder than everyone else, and now, 40 years later, everybody says, "What's the big deal? Everybody else does it." [Uses studio artists or backing bands.] Nobody cares now except him. He feels his moral judgment in 1967 and 1968 is supposed to serve in 2007.

In a Facebook post, fellow Monkee Michael Nesmith stated that he did not know if the Monkees belonged in the Hall of Fame because he could only see the impact of the Monkees from the inside, and went on to say: "I can see the HOF (Hall of Fame) is a private enterprise. It seems to operate as a business, and the inductees are there by some action of the owners of the Enterprise. The inductees appear to be chosen at the owner's pleasure. This seems proper to me. It is their business in any case. It does not seem to me that the HOF carries a public mandate, nor should it be compelled to conform to one."[72]

Various magazines and news outlets, such as Time,[73] NPR radio,[74] The Christian Science Monitor,[75] Goldmine magazine,[76][77] Yahoo Music[78] and MSNBC[79] have argued that the Monkees belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 1

I like what Nesmith and Tork said about the "private enterprise" being the group getting to pick and choose. I like how they seem to not give a rip ( well maybe Tork does) 

in light of being passed over. 

in  a related theme and in the light of the passing of RUSH drummer Neil Peart who was quoted in 2012  - (well before the bands induction into the hall)

when asked if they would like to be in the HOF, he said "yes if only for the fans" 

individually we kind of take our feelings seriously over who should be in.... while the guys who perform, ( the down to earth ones at least) 

arent so bothered by this. 

I  

On 1/15/2020 at 6:59 PM, ATOM said:

oh ya they fucking rocked and is one band Black Sabbath said they borrowed from 

are Black Sabbath in the rrhof ?

Yes, but they didn't get in until 2006, which is ridiculous of course. They pioneered metal and influenced many bands.Tony Iommi is one of the best guitarists ever.

Seems they committee isn't very fond of hard rock or metal in general. Led Zeppelin didn't get in until 1995. See Deep Purple, who's still waiting.

Casey Kasem, please play War Pigs as a long-distance dedication to all the Joni Mitchell fans out there 😊

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Yes, but they didn't get in until 2006, which is ridiculous of course. They pioneered metal and influenced many bands.Tony Iommi is one of the best guitarists ever.

Seems they committee isn't very fond of hard rock or metal in general. Led Zeppelin didn't get in until 1995. See Deep Purple, who's still waiting.

Casey Kasem, please play War Pigs as a long-distance dedication to all the Joni Mitchell fans out there 😊

The band has to of had an album or a hit on the charge for 25 years before they’re eligible. Led Zeppelin didn’t start until around 1970. Also I think deep purple may in fact be in. In fact in checking yes they are in.