THE BROWNS BOARD

10 year old girl boxer and she's good! Youngstown Southside Boxing Club

mjp28

I saw this on the 11 pm local news, a 10 year old girl boxer and she's good!  https://www.wkbn.com/sports/watch-10-year-old-boxer-zion-hensley-ready-for-regionals

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Zion Hensley got hooked on boxing at 8 years old when she started playing with some old equipment in her uncle’s basement. Her dad saw the interest and signed her up at Jack Loew’s Southside Boxing Club.

“You know, I’m not a big fan of a pretty little blue-eyed, blonde-haired girl coming into my gym at 9 years old and wanting to be a boxer,” Jack Loew said. “But it changed real quick.”

You see, Hensley isn’t your typical 10-year-old.........

......... The second round didn’t last long. Hensley won by TKO and easily won the rest of the state tournament.

Next up is the regionals this weekend in Cleveland, then the junior nationals in Kansas City.

Loew said Hensley’s got a real shot at winning the Silver Gloves National Championship, which would make her the number-one ranked 70-pound, 10-year-old female fighter in the country......... continued in the link .......

• 1 month later...

A follow-up here she is with legendary Youngstown trainer jack Loew from Southside Boxing.   The 65-pound fighter who goes by the alias "The Celtic Kid" .

67334868_904445433223552_5015344508242493440_n.jpg

IMG_20190720_183346.jpg

Just now, The Gipper said:

Perverse.

I just saw where they have (still unsanctioned) state of Ohio girls high school wrestling now.

I guess we have to get with the sign of the times girls can coach and referee professional football now.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I just saw where they have (still unsanctioned) state of Ohio girls high school wrestling now.

I guess we have to get with the sign of the times girls can coach and referee professional football now.

That may not be so bad.  Anyone 10 years old should not be boxing...boy or girl.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That may not be so bad.  Anyone 10 years old should not be boxing...boy or girl.

I kind of agree on the age thing there when is too young in any sport where you can get blows to the head?

8, 9, 10 are all way too young.  Maybe teach conditioning, basics and self defense but no active sparring or active boxing regardless of the glove weights.  I'm all for judo or karate but no active sparring until you're maybe 14 or older.

BUT some of these kids are boxing and with their parents consent.   

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I kind of agree on the age thing there when is too young in any sport where you can get blows to the head?

8, 9, 10 are all way too young.  Maybe teach conditioning, basics and self defense but no active sparring or active boxing regardless of the glove weights.  I'm all for judo or karate but no active sparring until you're maybe 14 or older.

Well, my wife can tell you that a lot of parents out there can be fucking idiots....because she tells me that, as she has to deal with some of them.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, mjp28 said:

I started boxing when I was 7 years old.

4 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I started boxing when I was 7 years old.

And look at you now.     :lol:

No seriously though it affects different people in different ways.  I started football with helmet and pads when I was in 5th grade and played a lot both with and without pads until I was in in high school you never know about injuries, I got hurt in a pick up game just before my junior year and a knee injury ended my serious football career.

But repeated blows to the head can expose someone to injury with your parents consent or not.

I wish her well.