Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hoorta

Stefanski Introductory Press Conference

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

So, I have no way of knowing if this is true, but a podcast I listen to routinely makes reference of Freddie's playcalling inadequacies. Mainly that the first 20 plays or so that were scripted were fine, if not good, but after that, Freddie went all over the place. Like, he'd be calling shit from months before that players hadn't run at all in practice. 

Again, I have no idea if this is true, but it certainly smells like it's got at least SOME merit. How many times did our opening drive look good and then it was cluster eff time. Lots right? 

The Titans game got him all flustered right from the gitgo. Desperate men do desperate things. That is always my fear for any Cleveland coach because Regime Change Jimmy is sittin' there with a gun in his lap up in the owners box. Dorsey made him desperate by weakening his OL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 7:10 PM, Canton Mike said:

Admittedly, I previously had an ignorant perception of analytics & this hire. I learned a hell of a lot after listening to both Stefanski's & DePodesta's pressers. Both gave me "meat & potatoes" answers that were easily understood & professionally/intelligently presented.

Color me "SOLD". I want to see the rest of the staff (officially), but Jimmy (who has always wanted a winner & been willing to change) may have hit on these 2 guys.

Mike

I feel like one of the English Generals in a bright red coat surrounded by a bunch of American Patriots back in the 1700s when I say "I might have under-estimated this whole thing."  I think we even named a store after the British Troops.  It's called Target and it has a bright red logo. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the presser. Likable guy coming here with good intentions and some sense of organizational skills.  Did I also hear a philosophy?   Okay, maybe he's a little more than just eye candy for Dee.

All that said, I've felt this way about other guys we've hired and some of them experienced a culture shock of dysfunction from the owner and his FO.  The extensive trend of that has me wondering how is Jimmy and the FO going to be different this time around.  When we're tanking for top picks while smarter FOs are trading up for Patrick Mahomes and DeShaun Watson - someone is not understanding the gridiron chess game here.   And when Baker starts off setting a rookie record for TD passes despite just 13 starts (on a team coming off 0-16 football) - only to remove his QB Coach and our OL Coach while he awaits his 4th OC heading into just his 3rd season... 

IMO, a philosophy has to be set.  That was the game changer in Pittsburgh back in the 70s which set up an ideal working relationship/marriage between HC and FO.  They drafted accordingly, which sure made the coaching thing a lot easier.   And if anyone dares to look at Terry Bradshaw's career - they will see his 1st 4 years were a disaster.   I remember reading he was getting benched in his 4th season when the alternatives were only Joe Gilliam and Terry Hanratty.  BUT, the FO put together 3-4 consecutive great drafts which made the gridiron chess game far less impossible.  This doesn't happen if the Owner doesn't setup the environment.  If our owner (who was a minority owner in Pittsburgh) finally GETS this - Stefanski has a great chance to succeed.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I feel like one of the English Generals in a bright red coat surrounded by a bunch of American Patriots back in the 1700s when I say "I might have under-estimated this whole thing."  I think we even named a store after the British Troops.  It's called Target and it has a bright red logo. 

 

 

Nice analogy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One Post said:

Another Pollock. Should've hired Dusty Baker I guess. 4 wins next year. Sucks

Well, we have Jackson,  and we have the fish......but you are saying there is another pollock?  What sort of entity is this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

So, I have no way of knowing if this is true, but a podcast I listen to routinely makes reference of Freddie's playcalling inadequacies. Mainly that the first 20 plays or so that were scripted were fine, if not good, but after that, Freddie went all over the place. Like, he'd be calling shit from months before that players hadn't run at all in practice. 

Again, I have no idea if this is true, but it certainly smells like it's got at least SOME merit. How many times did our opening drive look good and then it was cluster eff time. Lots right? 

They were scripted, and Monken was very involved with that..  After that, it was a mess.  You knew we were going to call a shovel pass at least once or twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

They were scripted, and Monken was very involved with that..  After that, it was a mess.  You knew we were going to call a shovel pass at least once or twice.

And those would have been fine in right situation and with the right execution.   But some have said that those calls were made without them ever having been practiced.   So how good could they have turned out.  And we know that he would pull out one of those gadget plays on like  2d and goal from the 2.....and lose 4 yards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dorsey should have stepped in at some point and told Freddie to relinquish the play calling.  It may have saved both of their jobs.

 

Dorsey had to know about confusion and us looking like idiots.  I guess he thought it best to let Freddie dig his own hole and he would get a chance to correct it after the season.  The Doofus thought wrong.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Dorsey should have stepped in at some point and told Freddie to relinquish the play calling.  It may have saved both of their jobs.

 

Dorsey had to know about confusion and us looking like idiots.  I guess he thought it best to let Freddie dig his own hole and he would get a chance to correct it after the season.  The Doofus thought wrong.

Like let Freddie sink under his own incompetence? And then Dorsey still gets to pick the next coach? Haslam was 100% correct in telling Dorsey- that was such a monumental screw up, you don't get a mulligan there. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, ballpeen said:

Dorsey should have stepped in at some point and told Freddie to relinquish the play calling.  It may have saved both of their jobs.

Dorsey had to know about confusion and us looking like idiots.  I guess he thought it best to let Freddie dig his own hole and he would get a chance to correct it after the season.  The Doofus thought wrong.

Good stuff here...

"Where was Dorsey?" is a thought that has crossed my mind a couple times as the HC search was going on. How does he leave a struggling HC... his struggling HC... hanging out to dry? Was he too busy trying to personally uncover the next Corbett?

I find it implausible that Dorsey was not watching practices... was not aware of game-plans... was not able to see that they were out of alignment... was not aware that playcalling was misaligned to the point of approaching random. Add that Dorsey very much fit the mold of someone who practices the approach of "managing by walking around" and he had to be getting feedback from Asst. Coaches, scouts and the analytics crew on just how dysfunctional we were.

Where are the accounts of him mentoring his hand-picked HC? Did he consider bringing in a mentor to help? Hell... even a time management consultant might have been of value.

Instead it appears that he was like many of us... spellbound by a second half schedule that looked to be an easy ticket to the post season.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Was he too busy trying to personally uncover the next Corbett?

Would you like to compare Dorsey's two drafts to the two by THE PROCESS of Sashi, DePodesta and Berry?

Can't wait to see THE PROCESS unearth their next Corey Coleman. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Would you like to compare Dorsey's two drafts to the two by THE PROCESS of Sashi, DePodesta and Berry?

Pretty sure we will be...

Sorry I picked Corbett... picking a good player would have worked just as well to illustrate my point, i.e., attention diversion... and doing so might have avoided offending your delicate sensibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread but can't really find a more proper place to put it.

No shit there should be Improvement. Younger players should get better we have an easier schedule and the loss of Myles Garrett probably cost us at least one game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-ownership-expects-big-improvement-in-kevin-stefanskis-first-year-as-coach/

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, The Gipper said:

Well, we have Jackson,  and we have the fish......but you are saying there is another pollock?  What sort of entity is this one?

Another dumb mfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×