THE BROWNS BOARD

Stefanski Introductory Press Conference

hoorta

I remember when Kyle Shanahan sucked in these forums.  Do I think Freddie was a genius, nope. But not sure what coach overcomes a shit OL, inaccurate QB, WRs dropping passes, TEs getting hurt, DL swinging helmets, DBs with bad hamstrings, etc.. I don’t think Freddy was a great leader and that’s on him but again we turn to the same shitty front office and an unproven coach to tell us they got it right this time.  Until we fix the personnel issues and get the “me guys” to be “we guys” the Browns won’t be successful

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Do I think Freddie was a genius, nope. But not sure what coach overcomes a shit OL, inaccurate QB, WRs dropping passes, TEs getting hurt, DL swinging helmets, DBs with bad hamstrings, etc..

Problem is some of what has come out about Freddie was that he was undisciplined, e.g., sloppy planning... calling plays that weren't practiced. And there's truth in old adage about teams taking on their HC's personality.

Largely the same cast of characters did pretty well under Williams previously with Freddie as OC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MDDawg said:

Stefanski was continuously promoted in Minnesota while Freddie was demoted from QB to RB coach  by Arians which is why he left to join the Browns.

And Carson palmer had his best season as a qb when Freddie was qb coach.  Then when he was "demoted" from qb to rb coach (they're all position coaches whether its db lbs dl wr te ol rb or qb coach I don't really see one as a significant step up over the other) a guy named David Johnson burst on the scene. 

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Problem is some of what has come out about Freddie was that he was undisciplined, e.g., sloppy planning... calling plays that weren't practiced. And there's truth in old adage about teams taking on their HC's personality.

Largely the same cast of characters did pretty well under Williams previously with Freddie as OC.

It seems strange to me that according to some, Freddie did actually use the analytics provided in setting up game plans and playcalling. He was always looking at his master sheet during games. So why exactly were they not practicing the plays on the master sheet? And if analytics was driving that, then why was Hunt not more involved in the redzone since in KC he thrived in the redzone? Surely analytics would have provided that information in setting up redzone playcalling.

And as an aside will the failure of Stefanski be the end of Depo should that happen? That seemed to be the case with buddy boy. I mean how else can we carry on this Factory of Sadness without another coaching/fo change two years from now?🙄

I finally just watched Stefanski’s presser. There’s only so much you can glean from it, but l too really like him.

One goofy thing stood out to me. His whole “west side, east side” joke he cracked towards the beginning, which seemed to be a joke that thudded like a lead balloon, but next thing you know the next 5 or 6 reporters are announcing which side they hail from (even the guy from Canton “far south side”, haha). Almost as if they were compelled to play along just for the fun of playing along. And it got funnier as they did. 

I call that charisma, and l like that in my coach.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, Dutch Oven said:

This literally happens every. single. time. the Browns hire a head coach, or make a first round pick.

There's a moment where people think for themselves, but the sheep herd mentality is strong, and virtually everyone falls into line with the "Sunshine and Rainbows" mentality. 

Until the games start. 

That’s what fans do silly. I don’t see what l have to gain by proactively getting bent outta shape about any of this when no games have been played yet. I’ll have plenty of time to get bet outta shape later...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

That’s what fans do silly. I don’t see what l have to gain by proactively getting bent outta shape about any of this when no games have been played yet. I’ll have plenty of time to get bet outta shape later...

That’s what fans do silly 😀

• Haha 1

point of information:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/01/14/cleveland-browns-news-brett-favre-has-strong-opinion-of-kevin-stefanski/

"While Favre's two-season stint with the Minnesota Vikings in 2009 and 2010 may have been short-lived, it coincided with Kevin Stefanski's rise as an assistant. In both years that Favre spent in Minnesota, Stefanski served as the team's assistant quarterbacks coach and suffice to say, the former Penn defensive back left quite an impression on the 3-time MVP."

"During the interview, Favre called Stefanski one of the "bright minds." The two worked together for two seasons in Minnesota and the young coach made an impression on Favre — who is a quarterback many compare to current Cleveland starter, Baker Mayfield."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-kevin-stefanski

(winner: Browns and all Browns fans. I think the Browns finally got it right)

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2020 at 5:33 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

It seems strange to me that according to some, Freddie did actually use the analytics provided in setting up game plans and playcalling. He was always looking at his master sheet during games. So why exactly were they not practicing the plays on the master sheet? And if analytics was driving that, then why was Hunt not more involved in the redzone since in KC he thrived in the redzone? Surely analytics would have provided that information in setting up redzone playcalling.

And as an aside will the failure of Stefanski be the end of Depo should that happen? That seemed to be the case with buddy boy. I mean how else can we carry on this Factory of Sadness without another coaching/fo change two years from now?🙄

Gee, you're  thinking  that too Ag? Why in the world would the analytics  guys reccomend  plays, Freddie  not practice  them, only to  use them in games? Talk about  crazy  dysfunction. 

Guaranteed  if Stefanski flops, it's the end of DePodesta. And if they bring back Andrew  Berry,  draft another  Corey Coleman analytic bust, he's  fired faster than  you can  say  "Jimmy  Haslam ". :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

One goofy thing stood out to me. His whole “west side, east side” joke he cracked towards the beginning, which seemed to be a joke that thudded like a lead balloon, but next thing you know the next 5 or 6 reporters are announcing which side they hail from (even the guy from Canton “far south side”, haha). Almost as if they were compelled to play along just for the fun of playing along. And it got funnier as they did. 

I call that charisma, and l like that in my coach.

This is a huge Philly area thing..While i was at the draft in Philly, Most the local's used this to separate the large city.. It struck me as real funny, once I heard his Mom & Dad were there at the presser.. Kevin was raised & went to Philly area schools all the way up to Penn U..,so my hope is, Kevin surely should have some piss & vinegar in his raising in a tough area like Philly.. He will need it, to mesh all these tudes in this lockerroom.. Coaching behind a no nonsense guy like Mike Zimmer can't hurt 🤞..      

11 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

This is a huge Philly area thing..While i was at the draft in Philly, Most the local's used this to separate the large city.. It struck me as real funny, once I heard his Mom & Dad were there at the presser.. Kevin was raised & went to Philly area schools all the way up to Penn U..,so my hope is, Kevin surely should have some piss & vinegar in his raising in a tough area like Philly.. He will need it, to mesh all these tudes in this lockerroom.. Coaching behind a no nonsense guy like Mike Zimmer can't hurt 🤞..      

The whole east side vs. west side is a staple in a lotta towns. It is in Cincy. West Siyeeed! We claim LaRosas pizza. And Pete Rose.

What about Cleveland? Browns fandom is a family curse thing for me, but l’m not from therre.

2 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The whole east side vs. west side is a staple in a lotta towns. It is in Cincy. West Siyeeed! We claim LaRosas pizza. And Pete Rose.

What about Cleveland? Browns fandom is a family curse thing for me, but l’m not from therre.

I suppose you can use the East side West side thing in Cleveland. The Cuyahoga River roughly splits the town in two. Though the near East side- until you get out into the 'burbs, and to a lesser extent West side are pretty rough neighborhoods. 

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I suppose you can use the East side West side thing in Cleveland. The Cuyahoga River roughly splits the town in two. Though the near East side- until you get out into the 'burbs, and to a lesser extent West side are pretty rough neighborhoods. 

And the Gem City? East side? West side? And what’s the difference? 

In Cincy east side is the ritzier side. 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:08 PM, calfoxwc said:

Just because we've been there before several times doesn't mean that this time is also a bad hire.

Stephanski seems different, bigtime, to me. Driven, like Bellicheck. A leader AND teacher. Serious AND a fun guy.

A tough head coach who means business, and a great head coach to get all the players on board, and get all the assistants and coordinators to be a TEAM.

A very, very intelligent hc. compared to hue or kitchens - who just couldn't take it all in at all...

Stephanski, I believe, takes it all in in an instant. Smart, very smart guy.

I'm good with forgetting the failures. I believe Stephanski and co will not fail. As in, right out of the gate, they will be successful.

That's true. And I hope they got it right this time.

But I have to mention what you said closely describes another bust...smart, serious, looks like he means business, looks tough, commands respect.

The Browns were "blown away" by this guy.

Team officials (Browns) were “blown away” during interviews with Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in Seattle on Jan. 1 and Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine on Thursday according to a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Browns are not commenting on the search or confirming interviews.

We have no choice but to wait and see.

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Certainly wouldn't help, but the timing and nature of the failure would matter wouldn't it? If it's a one-year flame out, then Depo gone. If it's a 5th-year back slide after a year or two of seeing the playoffs, then likely not.

Also depends on how other aspects of Depo's job have been executed.

10 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I was waiting for Grossi to say, "Northside."

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I remember when Kyle Shanahan sucked in these forums.  Do I think Freddie was a genius, nope. But not sure what coach overcomes a shit OL, inaccurate QB, WRs dropping passes, TEs getting hurt, DL swinging helmets, DBs with bad hamstrings, etc.. I don’t think Freddy was a great leader and that’s on him but again we turn to the same shitty front office and an unproven coach to tell us they got it right this time.  Until we fix the personnel issues and get the “me guys” to be “we guys” the Browns won’t be successful

It also doesn’t help the owner knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about running a football team

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

And the Gem City? East side? West side? And what’s the difference? 

In Cincy east side is the ritzier side. 

Well- in Dayton the Great Miami River roughly divides the town in half. Though I'd hardly call anything in the city of Dayton proper "ritzy", your odds of getting shot or mugged are lower on the east side of town. FWIW, I live on the far east side of town.  

12 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I like LaRosa's.  Many times I push up to Dry Ridge, KY. to spend the night on my way up to games.  There is one there across from the hotel.

As for Cleveland, west side for me.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, hoorta said:

And if they bring back Andrew  Berry,  draft another  Corey Coleman analytic bust, he's  fired faster than  you can  say  "Jimmy  Haslam ". :D

You know I never did figure out why they took Coleman because he was known to have occasional "dropsies" at Baylor. Why did that not show in the analytics?

Now Derrick Henry on the other hand was only a 247 lb. Jim Brown level very fast, power running Heisman winner. That non-pick by analytics I understood................................LOLOLOLOL!😂

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Certainly wouldn't help, but the timing and nature of the failure would matter wouldn't it? If it's a one-year flame out, then Depo gone. If it's a 5th-year back slide after a year or two of seeing the playoffs, then likely not.

I would give anything to see a backslide by the Browns from a couple of playoff years. So far we've pretty much just seen landslides every year.📉😱

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well- in Dayton the Great Miami River roughly divides the town in half. Though I'd hardly call anything in the city of Dayton proper "ritzy", your odds of getting shot or mugged are lower on the east side of town. FWIW, I live on the far east side of town.  

You and l share a river. The Great Miami flows a block a block away from me.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

East Side.   Spent my law school years living on Shaker Square.

Grew up on the southeast side of  Cleveland  near East 131st street.  It's a pretty  rough  neighborhood  now. All the rest of the  family  is  now southeast  and east suburbs.  Brother  lives in Burton.  Since  you mentioned the  Amish,  plenty of  them in Middlefield.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

He's dreamy..... His eyes pierce right into my soul.  

There has been a lot of local conversation that he looks a lot like the bass player of the Easy Street Band (Westside Steve's band):

391167-2958287.jpg&w=220&sq=1&cb=0

ws7.jpg

The guy in the white hat. The lower photo is from the 80s.  The other more recent. 

• Like 1

So, I have no way of knowing if this is true, but a podcast I listen to routinely makes reference of Freddie's playcalling inadequacies. Mainly that the first 20 plays or so that were scripted were fine, if not good, but after that, Freddie went all over the place. Like, he'd be calling shit from months before that players hadn't run at all in practice. 

Again, I have no idea if this is true, but it certainly smells like it's got at least SOME merit. How many times did our opening drive look good and then it was cluster eff time. Lots right?