THE BROWNS BOARD

Stefanski Introductory Press Conference

hoorta

18 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

-“multiple” on offense.  I like it.  “Dynamic in the run game”. Yes!!! He has some tools to work with here

-also hinted at using the playmakers we have which something Kitchens failed at.  

And you can see parallels in the skill sets of Vikes/Browns skill positions...

Baker/Cousins... OBJ/Diggs... Landry/Theilen... Chubb/Cook...

Analogy falls apart some at TE, but Rudolph's game is in decline so gap is not huge...

Then there's the OL... where the gap is a bit bigger.

1 hour ago, BaconHound said:

It was the normal, neither good nor bad.  Haslam’s presser is what shook me.  The fact he owns a billion dollar business baffles me.  He seems like a dumb version of Jerry Jones and that is saying something 

The part where he mentioned "how fun of a process it was during this hire" made me literally shake my head. He's a fucktard. 

I also enjoyed DePodesta's "well THIS time we conducted a thorough head coach search". What a sniveling little rat fuck. When he finally gets shitcanned, I'll drive his dork ass to the airport myself, then shove a Bill James encyclopedia up his ass. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

BTW, for your further entertainment... Like in the Wizard of Oz here's the "man behind the curtain".. :)  

I love how when he was pressed about how things are different this time around, he said, "I don't want to talk about the other two hires." He basically was saying, "that moron refused to listen to what I had to say and this is why we are here now."

20 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The part where he mentioned "how fun of a process it was during this hire" made me literally shake my head. He's a fucktard. 

I also enjoyed DePodesta's "well THIS time we conducted a thorough head coach search". What a sniveling little rat fuck. When he finally gets shitcanned, I'll drive his dork ass to the airport myself, then shove a Bill James encyclopedia up his ass. 

I completely disagree. He is basically saying, "you guys want to make fun of my way of doing things but you keep going against my suggestions and are failing miserably! Maybe if you listened, we wouldn't be in this position." I think if you had no idea where his background comes from, I don't think there would be this much back lash. Depo doesn't do anything that every major company in america does...it utilizes tools to maximize performance. That's all he is trying to say that his "analytics" is doing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hx214 said:

You ain’t lying.... I heard he is on that Rob Lowe Atkins thing

582AFECA-FE01-473C-8D09-DA25F3D88398.jpeg

I am sure that the real Paul DePodesta was not the roly poly character that was portrayed in the movies.   In fact, correct me if I am wrong....they didn't even use his real name in the film, although they used the real name of just about everyone else.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I am sure that the real Paul DePodesta was not the roly poly character that was portrayed in the movies.   In fact, correct me if I am wrong....they didn't even use his real name in the film, although they used the real name of just about everyone else.

Ya, they called the guy in the movie Pete or something.  I don’t think Paul wanted anything to do with the movie.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

The stage was not too big for him.  He looks and sounds like a guy that you'd like as a face of your team.  -  I hope he's a good coach.  We don't want any more 18 penalty games.

After listening to Kevin- it's sort of obvious why Freddie failed. He was playing checkers while the opposing coordinators were playing three dimensional chess. He got 1\2 a season out of Baker- and then the rest of the league caught up with him-fast. 

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

He's a likable guy, but this time, he has to prove it to me first.......... Sorry Kevin, it's not you, it's me. 

You speak for many of us. Browns fans are suffering from a malady called firing fatigue..... We're all in the results business now. Winning a press conference doesn't count. 

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I love how when he was pressed about how things are different this time around, he said, "I don't want to talk about the other two hires." He basically was saying, "that moron refused to listen to what I had to say and this is why we are here now."

With 20\20 hindsight I'm sort of surprised DePodesta didn't flat out quit. Paul had data (according to him) on 50 potential head coach candidates. They narrowed it down, and Dorsey got his way with Freddie. One of the main reasons Dorse isn't around anymore. But there's others. Looks like he wasn't willing to be just one voice in the room when it came to the draft. 

Speaking of- the scouting staff is still intact, and Wolf is busy researching potential picks come April.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

-“multiple” on offense.  I like it.  “Dynamic in the run game”. Yes!!! He has some tools to work with here

-also hinted at using the playmakers we have which something Kitchens failed at.  

-his system and systems he’s been working under are very QB friendly.  Great!  Putting Baker in shotgun and making him a playmaker - not his game at the professional level.  Baker had some of his best games last season throwing 30 passes all game.  

-my original criticism just one franchise one perspective for 14 years.  I’ve changed my mind I think it’s impressive that he’s held on and been with the same franchise through multiple regime changes. He’s left a good enough impression to be a holdover 

good start...now show us all the Browns finally got this right 

Freddie did say before the season and week after week during the season about using playmakers more getting them involved more.  Its very common that a coach says he's going to get the ball into his playmakers hands. Every coach will say it not every coach succeeds at it. I don't put a ton of stock in what these guys say in press conferences.  They are coached up on what to expect and say.  Outside of troll questions from grossi and mkc they get tossed meatballs.

Also Freddie hung on at one organization (cardinals) for 12 years under multiple regimes. So Freddie in turn left a good enough impression to be a holdover. 

Both impressive pressers.

I think Stefanski is going to be just what the Dr. ordered.  I am also glad it appears most are starting to see the light on DePo and that he isn't a sinister figure sitting deep in the bowels of headquarters, pulling the strings.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And that's how you command a presser...

Impressive.

Actually his answer to the first question concerning being a candidate last year and following a HC who lasted one year. "That's a great word undeterred. And I am undaunted...."  There is an excellent Stephen Ambrose biography out there about Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis & Clark expedition entitled "Undaunted Courage". I think we got ourselves one of those.

Anyway Rene was impressed I bet....................."You had me at hello"😁

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Both impressive pressers.

I think Stefanski is going to be just what the Dr. ordered.  I am also glad it appears most are starting to see the light on DePo and that he isn't a sinister figure sitting deep in the bowels of headquarters, pulling the strings.

This literally happens every. single. time. the Browns hire a head coach, or make a first round pick.

There's a moment where people think for themselves, but the sheep herd mentality is strong, and virtually everyone falls into line with the "Sunshine and Rainbows" mentality. 

Until the games start. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This literally happens every. single. time. the Browns hire a head coach, or make a first round pick.

There's a moment where people think for themselves, but the sheep herd mentality is strong, and virtually everyone falls into line with the "Sunshine and Rainbows" mentality. 

Until the games start. 

Sunshine seeps in when the OL takes a new form. When I see Baker with more time to actually have progressions, then I will be on the Rainbow train totally. In the meantime I think we have a coach already groomed for the HC position. It was a shame for Freddie that Dorsey didn't understand the need for that. He skipped a step with Freddie. Too bad because I think Freddie is a good man.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Until the games start. 

Maybe so.  Something else happens every time..some stomp,whine and moan when the team doesn't do things the way that person wanted.

I enjoyed Stefanski's comments about all the personalities..He said, "I don't mind personalities. Because I respect guys that work. Personalities are great. Your production is required." He just put everyone on blast and especially Baker. Basically, "Baker, I expect you to work your ass off." Let's see/hope he is able to follow through with it.

IMOP, even though OBJ and Landry are big personalities, I think they have proven they definitely put in the work. Now that we now about their injuries, it makes a lot more sense as to why they weren't practicing as much. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Until the games start. 

Or guarded optimism.

i ain’t saying yea or nay until the DC is hired.  I’m ready to walk out if Wilks comes back.  Okay maybe not but I will say I told you so every freakiNg by Sunday 

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually his answer to the first question concerning being a candidate last year and following a HC who lasted one year. "That's a great word undeterred. And I am undaunted...."  There is an excellent Stephen Ambrose biography out there about Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis & Clark expedition entitled "Undaunted Courage". I think we got ourselves one of those.

Anyway Rene was impressed I bet....................."You had me at hello"😁

Yet, Meriwether Lewis committed suicide.   And Rene killed a guy in Chicago, and got fat in Bridget Jones' Diary. (along with having a bad English accent). 

Not sure I dig you comparisons. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Until the games start. 

It is:  Sunshine, Lollipops, Rainbows and Everything".    Don't forget the lollipops. 

Just because we've been there before several times doesn't mean that this time is also a bad hire.

Stephanski seems different, bigtime, to me. Driven, like Bellicheck. A leader AND teacher. Serious AND a fun guy.

A tough head coach who means business, and a great head coach to get all the players on board, and get all the assistants and coordinators to be a TEAM.

A very, very intelligent hc. compared to hue or kitchens - who just couldn't take it all in at all...

Stephanski, I believe, takes it all in in an instant. Smart, very smart guy.

I'm good with forgetting the failures. I believe Stephanski and co will not fail. As in, right out of the gate, they will be successful.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Until the games start. 

Not everyone.  Sure, Kevin  made a favorable  first impression,  but plenty of  fans are adopting a  wait and see  attitude.  I'd rather do that instead of having  an Eyore attitude  that, yup, this new HC is gonna  suck. Just like that Ravens troll and a lot of  Steelers fans who will  happily  tell you that the  Browns are going to continue to  suck, because  that's all they've done  for the last 20 years. 

FWIW, I've blasted plenty of  Browns  draft  picks  right  out of the gate. Most notably  Kizer and Johnny  Football. 

16 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Freddie did say before the season and week after week during the season about using playmakers more getting them involved more.  Its very common that a coach says he's going to get the ball into his playmakers hands. Every coach will say it not every coach succeeds at it. I don't put a ton of stock in what these guys say in press conferences.  They are coached up on what to expect and say.  Outside of troll questions from grossi and mkc they get tossed meatballs.

Also Freddie hung on at one organization (cardinals) for 12 years under multiple regimes. So Freddie in turn left a good enough impression to be a holdover. 

Stefanski was continuously promoted in Minnesota while Freddie was demoted from QB to RB coach  by Arians which is why he left to join the Browns.

21 hours ago, hx214 said:

Ya, they called the guy in the movie Pete or something.  I don’t think Paul wanted anything to do with the movie.

Peter Brand... I never before made the time to look for the reason Paul did not let his name be used in the movie after letting it be used in the book. But now I did and found this...

"... to DePodesta, the former Athletics executive who now works in the Mets' front office, it was never his story. And the character that was supposed to be him always seemed like someone else. Which is why, for as much as the movie is based on a chapter of DePodesta's career, it's not about him at all.

Unlike Beane, the longtime Oakland general manager who is played by Brad Pitt, DePodesta isn't named in the movie. His character, played by Jonah Hill, was given the fictional name of Peter Brand—at DePodesta's request.

"I just could never get comfortable with the idea of somebody else portraying me to the rest of the world," DePodesta said. "It's very unnerving, and it was something that wasn't going to go away. That was always in my mind."

DePodesta's unease with the movie isn't a matter of shyness, though. And has nothing to do with Hill. Though the dough-faced actor looks nothing like him, DePodesta said Hill is "terrific" at his craft.

What makes DePodesta uncomfortable is the idea of being typecast as a laptop-toting, Ivy League nerd who eschews traditional scouting and relies only on statistics in making decisions."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424053111903927204576573271216641158

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not everyone.  Sure, Kevin  made a favorable  first impression,  but plenty of  fans are adopting a  wait and see  attitude.  I'd rather do that instead of having  an Eyore attitude  that, yup, this new HC is gonna  suck.

Nor every time... Pretty sure we weren't all that optimistic when Hue was hired and nobody really knew what to think about Freddie as HC... OC maybe, but not HC.

We usually wait until after the draft to get irrationally optimistic... B)

• Thanks 1