THE BROWNS BOARD

Stefanski Introductory Press Conference

hoorta

Good presser for Stef... not as authoritative as Rodgers' NYG intro, but a solid presser giving a sense that there's a backbone there.

Approach of essentially preparing formal lesson plans for each player is not one I've heard before.

Agree with h that it was refreshing to see a well-groomed HC at the podium... and I'll add that it was good to see a fit one as well.

Best part for me was the Truman quote: "It's amazing what you can accomplish when no one cares who gets the credit."

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

for your further entertainment education...

FIFMOYPA*

_________________________________________________________________________________________
* Fixed It For Most Of Your Potential Audience :P

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Like in the Wizard of Oz here's the "man behind the curtain".. :)  

And that's how you command a presser...

Impressive.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Good presser for Stef... not as authoritative as Rodgers' NYG intro, but a solid presser giving a sense that there's a backbone there.

Approach of essentially preparing formal lesson plans for each player is not one I've heard before.

Agree with h that it was refreshing to see a well-groomed HC at the podium... and I'll add that it was good to see a fit one as well.

This could come off as discriminatory.  But, OK.  What it implies is that unlike Ferd who has no apparent discipline in his personal habits and grooming, ....which seemed to also translate to his coaching duties,   this well groomed, disciplined guy will be the same  with his coaching.

Best part for me was the Truman quote: "It's amazing what you can accomplish when no one cares who gets the credit."

We could use a man like Harry Truman again.  (and I don't mean as Browns HC)

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And that's how you command a presser...

Impressive.

Let's just say that presser changed my perception of what DePo is about. Especially- still learning and I (we) the analytics folks don't have all the answers. Pretty humble for a numbers nerd.  :) 

Finally got it- "we're dealing in probabilities".   And we're not going to cram numbers down the coaching staffs throats. Like here they are- use them as you see fit. Easy to see why Dorsey is now out- too old school to see the light. 

I did love that question "what exactly do you do?"   

And some of that (per Keven) about those reported meetings with Haslam was uninformed BS. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

And some of that (per Keven) about those reported meetings with Haslam was uninformed BS

I don't know if I believe they were bs.  Schefter said he was told by more than one coach who interviewed about the stipulations and doerschuck is pretty tight with mcdaniels and seems to be his go to reporter. So either those coaches/reporters were lying, or stefanski (who has been analytics pick two years running) wasn't given the same stipulation as other coaches.  A final and the most likely option in my mind knowing how poorly Jimmy deals with criticism is that he saw the backlash and either backed off his requirements or just told his new coach to deny. I mean if he did agree to those terms (and come off as a yes man) is he going to disobey the very first order he gets from Haslam.

They did go from one of their main goals being to hire a guy with head coaching experience to having their two finalist (according to schefter only two guys who agreed to meetings etc) be Saleh and Stefanski, neither of whom have head coaching experience. So is schefter misinformed and those two guys just blew everyone out of the water, making browns pass on one of their main goals. Or were the browns forced to pass on one of their main goals because no experienced head coach would agree to the requirements the browns placed on them. 

Stephanski nailed it. He's far, far smarter and cooler than arrogant self centered Hue, and Good ole boy Kitchens.

Kevin seems like the right hc.

"Analytics is just a tool".

I love that. and, he has a fine sense of humor in how he answered the usual stupid questions from "reporters" like MKC and a few others.

My Best Friend is in Heaven.

He was a life-long Vikings fan.  And because I liked the Browns, he liked the Browns.  He watched them, he'd talk Browns with me, text Browns with me, etc.  And it didn't matter if we were 0-16, he would talk Browns with me.  (who does that?)

He and I watched together on TV the Browns - Vikings game in London.....not knowing that within a month he would be gone.  (he brought the coffee and I supplied the breakfast pastries)

I'm going on the premise that he sent us Stefanski, each year, until we hired him because Kevin Stefanski is FINALLY the guy to bring stability to the Browns.

.....I sure do miss him....

Go Browns!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And if you don't listen to the whole thing at least spend a minute with this piece of the presser...

Especially you, Dutch...

Did he mention how excited he is at the prospect of getting paid for five year's worth of work, but only having to work 2 years? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Did he mention how excited he is at the prospect of getting paid for five year's worth of work, but only having to work 2 years? 

That kind of thing goes without saying... I know... it was only two years of free money in my case, but I took it... and retired.

Don't you feel better knowing there's no Friday "Analytics" meeting?

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

That kind of thing goes without saying... I know... it was only two years of free money in my case, but I took it... and retired.

Don't you feel better knowing there's no Friday "Analytics" meeting?

Nope.

This was all a sham. 

We'll be doing this same song and dance in 3 years tops. I say three years because I'm convinced DePodesta has photos of Jimmy blowing goats. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

We'll be doing this same song and dance in 3 years tops.

There's a wager in our future... up to you whether it's friendly or not.

Meanwhile the reviews are in...

Did Kevin Stefanski win his first press conference with the Cleveland Browns?

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/did-kevin-stefanski-win-his-first-press-conference-with-the-cleveland-browns.html

Here's my favorite reply...

Hayden Grove: The Browns move to 9-1 in introductory head coach press conferences since 1999, with Pat Shurmur remaining the lone loss. That said, Stefanski’s performance was impressive, especially given the general disenchantment from the Browns fan base upon his hiring. Maybe it was his piercing eyes or full, salt-and-pepper beard, but Stefanski made a statement on Tuesday, displaying intelligence, humility, confidence and a seeming willingness to put winning and working ahead of all.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Axe said:

I wasn't at all enthused about the Freddie hire. I like this guy.. I'm optimistic B)

I won't lie, I liked the Freddie hire. I bought into the second half of the season and how we played better and almost stuck it to Baltimore at the end. We played fast, together, and had fun. Boy was I wrong. 

Now, there's no such thing as "winning an press conference" but I sure liked what this guy had to say! 

Admittedly, I previously had an ignorant perception of analytics & this hire. I learned a hell of a lot after listening to both Stefanski's & DePodesta's pressers. Both gave me "meat & potatoes" answers that were easily understood & professionally/intelligently presented.

Color me "SOLD". I want to see the rest of the staff (officially), but Jimmy (who has always wanted a winner & been willing to change) may have hit on these 2 guys.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Color me "SOLD". I want to see the rest of the staff (officially), but Jimmy (who has always wanted a winner & been willing to change) may have hit on these 2 guys.

What sells me is looking at the seasons players like Kirk Cousins and Stefon Diggs had. Cousins had like the 4th best statistical season in the league and he's obviously not the 4th best QB. Diggs averaged 10 yards a catch 2 years ago and this year averaged 18. This has to do with Stefanski and his play-action passing game. They ran the ball a bunch and then passed out of running formations. Just like the 49's. We have the personnel to run it. 

27 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Admittedly, I previously had an ignorant perception of analytics & this hire. I learned a hell of a lot after listening to both Stefanski's & DePodesta's pressers. Both gave me "meat & potatoes" answers that were easily understood & professionally/intelligently presented.

Mike

you betcha......

-“multiple” on offense.  I like it.  “Dynamic in the run game”. Yes!!! He has some tools to work with here

-also hinted at using the playmakers we have which something Kitchens failed at.  

-his system and systems he’s been working under are very QB friendly.  Great!  Putting Baker in shotgun and making him a playmaker - not his game at the professional level.  Baker had some of his best games last season throwing 30 passes all game.  

-my original criticism just one franchise one perspective for 14 years.  I’ve changed my mind I think it’s impressive that he’s held on and been with the same franchise through multiple regime changes. He’s left a good enough impression to be a holdover 

good start...now show us all the Browns finally got this right 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Stefanski made a statement on Tuesday, displaying intelligence, humility, confidence and a seeming willingness to put winning and working ahead of all.

The stage was not too big for him.  He looks and sounds like a guy that you'd like as a face of your team.  -  I hope he's a good coach.  We don't want any more 18 penalty games.