THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns targeting Rams DC Wade Phillips

3 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Doesnt Phillips run a base 3-4? If we bring him here would we trade Garrett?

Phillips runs a 4-3 under scheme, which would be a slight change for the Browns, but what has made Phillips so successful is his ability to adjust his scheme to his talent. The Browns obviously have an immense amount of talent on the defensive front anchored by Myles Garrett, Sheldon Richardson and Olivier Vernon, but if he can maximize Denzel Ward and Greedy Williams, the Browns could be a good defense quickly.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/reports-cleveland-browns-to-hire-wade-phillips-andrew-berry

lol... A pre-draft "Reportedly" that relies on MKC as a source vs. a direct interview with the Parrain du processus???

And how did Depo get in this excange?

Quit embarrassing yourself... you don't focus well when angry.

Ever heard of a pre-draft smokescreen?

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Wade will be 73 in June... I'm shocked he keeps wanting DC jobs.... but if he wants one more I'm good with that. He always seems to instantly produce a great D, but never quite sustains it.

I'd be shocked if it's not Stef that has final say, but candidate input from others would seem wise. Stef's spent almost his entire career in MN, so he's not been exposed to the broadcast of coaching cross-sections.

It did??? Then why isn't Trubs a Brown???

To what age did  Dick LeBeau continue to be a DC....in checking, he was the Tits DC  until 2017......when he was 80. 

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Garrett's play as a DT has already proven he could handle it if you add a few more lbs of muscle. Or with his Von Miller speed you make him one of the OLBs.

WAAAAAAY different type of play than what Myles has been brought in on sub packages.   

Besides, I'm not going to take my best edge and make him a DI.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

WAAAAAAY different type of play than what Myles has been brought in on sub packages.   

Besides, I'm not going to take my best edge and make him a DI.  

Me neither. But I could see standing up like Von in a 3-4 if they take that route. But I have a feeling we stick with 4-3.

37 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Me neither. But I could see standing up like Von in a 3-4 if they take that route. But I have a feeling we stick with 4-3.

LEO in the Under, mostly.

edit: That would actually include LEO in bear, double eagle and 'condensed' 1 gap fronts under Phillips.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Explain for the uninitiated por favor.

Weak side edge, for the most part.  Usually involves a wide(r) alignment for some teams in certain looks.  He can also see looks from a 2pt stance, but that isn't very different from some of the times he was standing up when we would run 3 man or odd fronts with Williams.

Wade isn't a coach that brings catastrophic change to his rosters for his defense.  Like I said, check out Demarcus Ware being used in Dallas then in Denver.  And with the amount of nickel the NFL plays, Myles isn't going to be doing anything beyond what he has been doing so far - rushing the passer. 

• Upvote 1

dit: That would actually include LEO in bear, double eagle and 'condensed' 1 gap fronts under Phillips.

Explain for the uninitiated por favor.

He is just getting excited about the new Dr. Doolittle movie....he has animals on his mind.  Lions, Eagles, Bears.     Either that or he is just reciting names of teams in the NFC.   OOOH...they got some other nice animals in that conference.  Falcons and Panthers,  and Rams an Seahawks. 

“The first thing to understand about Wade Phillips 3-4 is that it is a one-gap system. The play call is made and the down-linemen attack. It is not read and react, players do not need to occupy space, read the play, then decide what to do. From the snap they are ready to attack.”

”What jumps out is the fact that while Wade runs a "system" the system is not what determines how Phillips uses his players, it's the player's skillset. This is one very understated characteristic of a good coach or teacher in my estimation--one who will get the best out of their player's by utilizing their skillset.”