THE BROWNS BOARD

Analytics in football

Westside Steve

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Anal-Litticks sounds as stupid to me now.. As when I first heard of it.. You can't measure heart or desire with it...  To me.. It sounds like Corporate hogwash..

3 minutes ago, cvcanedy said:

Oh my god.  Old guy says old guy things.

Nickers, I've got your back. Analytics, like computers, are great tools. However, if you become totally dependent on them, you have problems.

Mike

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You anti-analytics guys have it wrong. 

There isn't anything wrong with using analytics.

The real problem is the Browns analytics guys suck. 

I never cared how they did the spreadsheets as long as they were correct......then give them to me.

Same with any stats or analytics.     :)

43 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Analytics, like computers, are great tools. However, if you become totally dependent on them, you have problems.

So marry them with your traditional approach. That was always the plan... well... not always.

Took a break during the Dorsey "We Don't need no stinkin' Analytics... Football Guy Part Quatre" era...

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So marry them with your traditional approach. That was always the plan... well... not always.

Took a break during the Dorsey "We Don't need no stinkin' Analytics... Football Guy Part Quatre" era...

You mean the era when actual talent was added to this team?

Yeah, that totally sucked. 

58 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Nickers, I've got your back. Analytics, like computers, are great tools. However, if you become totally dependent on them, you have problems.

Mike

Agree, but purposely misspelling them like a 13 year old and claiming they are totally wrong is so pointless.  Id love for use to have more constructive discussions 

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Anal-Litticks sounds as stupid to me now.. As when I first heard of it.. You can't measure heart or desire with it...  To me.. It sounds like Corporate hogwash..

It's just a another tool like a computer or 40 time with a stop watch.

Someone has to take all of the mountains of data and put a plan together and pull the trigger....... that's all.  ;)

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

And your absolute delight with the entire era was like the light of a 1000 suns...

3 hours ago, cvcanedy said:

Agree, but purposely misspelling them like a 13 year old and claiming they are totally wrong is so pointless.  Id love for use to have more constructive discussions 

You must be 12 then...

21 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

When was that? This century or the last?  Oh yeah I remember now I was driving a Mustang.   :lol:

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And your absolute delight with the entire era was like the light of a 1000 suns...

I criticized John Dorsey's moves repeatedly. 

You, on the other hand, couldn't stop fawning over Sashi and Co. Nary a word of criticism would ever spring from your fingers to keyboard for THE PROCESS. Your complete inability to be objective about that front office, at the time, in hindsight, or now again with their re-emergence, was frankly almost impressive. 

21 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:
  1. I criticized John Dorsey's moves repeatedly. 
  2. You, on the other hand, couldn't stop fawning over Sashi and Co. Nary a word of criticism would ever spring from your fingers to keyboard for THE PROCESS. Your complete inability to be objective about that front office, at the time, in hindsight, or now again with their re-emergence, was frankly almost impressive. 
  1. Thus my use of the pale red font color... pink is not one of the squares on my drop menu.
  2. Untrue. I saw moves I did not agree with coming out of the Sashi era... particularly draft selections not made. Others like the unprecedented Osweiler trade I championed as brilliant. However, I understood what our FO was trying to do and that developing it was going to take time. So I defended The Process v1.0 and still will. There's a difference between defending a process and defending it's every output... something you are eager to claim for yourself (loved Dorsey, but criticized moves), but are unwilling for whatever reason to grant me. Why is that?

And while we are at it... as for Part Deux... I'm not convinced that is accurate. I'm not sure that what we are developing now is a process that will end up close to what started 4 years ago. Granted analytics will be playing a greater role in planning and on gameday, but so far I don't see what the plan is for marrying analytics and scouting, or developing scouting expertise.

22 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

You ever say a word so many times that it starts to sounds silly? Analytics. Analytics.

Kind of sounds like one of those late night fitness programs for women, do analytics and lose 15 pounds in one month.  :lol:

Reminds me of Moneyball in baseball....... unless it works !  We'll see what the BROWNS version looks like.

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Kind of sounds like one of those late night fitness programs for women, do analytics and lose 15 pounds in one month.  :lol:

Reminds me of Moneyball in baseball....... unless it works !  We'll see what the BROWNS version looks like.

We already did, or were you in a coma for the two years Sashi and Co. were running the team?

It looked like shit. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

We already did, or were you in a coma for the two years Sashi and Co. were running the team?

It looked like shit. 

I mean the new and improved BROWNS v3.1 analytics for winners......really. Honest. :ph34r:

The reason it worked for the A's was because of competitive advantage: Nobody else was using it. 

Now, everyone is using it... and the teams that don't are falling behind -- because they can't stop fawning over players who would only make one above-replacement-value play every other game because it was spectacular.  The baseball analogy is the .200/200K/50 HR adam dunn.

5 hours ago, nickers said:

I think there is probably a lot of use for it in football.   But I basically agree with you to a point.   In baseball and basketball, the numbers game can be far more telling story about a player, because those are numbers games, and non-contact sports.

In football, no numbers, I do not believe, tell us how willing  a defender is to stick his nose into a tackle and knock an opponent on his ass...or how much guts it takes to block for a QB or RB and manhandle the guy across the line from you to keep that man from tackling your RB/QB.

Maybe in those other sports, the numbers are the end all and be all of how good a player could be. In football, they are just an itty bitty part of it all. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Head Coach Kevin Stefanski’s First Day

You know what pisses me off?   I am old enough to be this guys Dad.   At 37 years old?  I would have had him at 31 if I were his dad. 

So, the last damned time the Browns won a title, the coach there was practically old enough to be my grandfather  (he was born in 1906...Blanton Collier).   And now I am relying on a guy that could be my son.   Bullshit man.    He better come through....because I don't want to, nor believe that I could last until a guy that could be my grandson coaches this team to a title. 

• Upvote 1

Others like the unprecedented Osweiler trade I championed as brilliant.

So, you are second guessing yourself, now saying that the Osweiler trade was a bad move?

Well, maybe you should second guess your second guess, as I believe it was the Osweiler trade that resulted in us getting Nick Chubb.   At least that is what I heard. 

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You know what pisses me off?   I am old enough to be this guys Dad.   At 37 years old?  I would have had him at 31 if I were his dad. 

So, the last damned time the Browns won a title, the coach there was practically old enough to be my grandfather  (he was born in 1906...Blanton Collier).   And now I am relying on a guy that could be my son.   Bullshit man.    He better come through....because I don't want to, nor believe that I could last until a guy that could be my grandson coaches this team to a title. 

Face it gip we're just OLD!  I'm older than all of my many doctors but one, all of the nurses, techs, virtually everyone else I meet in professional settings.

We remember sports, movies, music that these younger people have no idea about. On and on.

But we lived through some very interesting times and great cars, movies and just great music!

PLUS one more thing we can say we watched Jim Brown actually play and the BROWNS won an NFL Championship !

GO BROWNS, baby !

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

The reason it worked for the A's was because of competitive advantage: Nobody else was using it. 

Now, everyone is using it... and the teams that don't are falling behind -- because they can't stop fawning over players who would only make one above-replacement-value play per game because it was spectacular.  [the analogy is the .200/200K/50 HR adam dunn]

Baseball has been using analytics for thousands of years. That’s how we know Jesus couldn’t hit a curveball.

The A’s simply prioritized different stats. Instead of dingers and batting average, they prioritized things like OBP and productive at bats. Nobody at the time was paying big bucks for guys who got on base a lot but didn’t hit a lot of homers.

What are the equivalent stats that the Browns are using to gain an advantage on other teams? Possession receivers? Guys who catch the ball well but don’t do much afterwards?

Sure tacklers? Guys who aren’t the quickest but who make a tackle more often than not?

Baker seems to need receivers who catch the ball over their head a lot. Do they really break down success rates of receivers catching high, intermediate, and low passes? And how reliable is that data?

As l mentioned before, the volume of data in baseball is so much greater than in football that l question the reliability of it in football.

Conceivably, you could go really crazy and measure a guy’s success rate at catching passes that come in at 30 mph and at a 20 degree angle 30 yards from the line of scrimmage, but how many passes did that player really see that fit those metrics? A dozen? Half dozen? 

I like Kevin Stefanski. I like analytics. Forcing Kevin Stefanski to answer to the Browns analytics dept each week, and then meeting with Haslem each week ... is the part I don't like.

One the Season begins, let the Coach coach. He has enough on his plate.

Zombo

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I like Kevin Stefanski. I like analytics. Forcing Kevin Stefanski to answer to the Browns analytics dept each week, and then meeting with Haslem each week ... is the part I don't like.

One the Season begins, let the Coach coach. He has enough on his plate.

Zombo

That's about where I'm at except I'm not as enthusiastic about analytics but I can see where it could be a useful tool.

And I don't like the chain of command very much. I wouldn't want the bar owner the GM the bartender and to wait staff putting together my set list for me.

WSS

33 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

That's about where I'm at except I'm not as enthusiastic about analytics but I can see where it could be a useful tool.

And I don't like the chain of command very much. I wouldn't want the bar owner the GM the bartender and to wait staff putting together my set list for me.

WSS

Everyone loves Rockytop. What’s the problem here? Oh, and follow that up with Freebird...

• Haha 1