THE BROWNS BOARD

If You Think The Shit Already Hit the Fans....

Flugel

Just wait until one of the most important/influential coaches to Stefanski gets hired as our next Offensive Coordinator.  His name?  Peppermint Patty Shurmur. 

Remember Shurmur facing 4th and 1 with a 2 score deficit in the 4th quarter at the Indy 38 yard line against the 31st ranked defense?  Shurmur decided our best option was to punt the football, which went past the end zone for a touch back netting us only 18 yards.  Indy thanked us for the forfeit keeping the ball for the next 6-8 minutes while everyone on the Cleveland Browns got the message from Shurmur it was okay to quit like he did that day.  My dad, who was dying of cancer at the time (just 1 day before Hospice), said I can't believe this storied franchise would ever hire such a F---ing pussy.  Even worse (and just like with Ray Horton), here comes the encore we can gag on...

I know many think Kubiak will be the guy (OC) but he made it clear he didn't have the time for an OC gig in Minnesota (so he just played Lifeguard to the OC).

You almost have to try to suck this bad as an ownership.  I feel bad for Stefanski because he didn't hire himself and he's probably a nice guy.  It was just the same criteria-free hiring process that has kept this sentenced to "It's only Cleveland."    If the owner doesn't care while he's making the most money of his life - why should the league care if his franchise wins or loses? 

why should the league care if his franchise wins or loses? 

Yea....the league has always  had in interest in having teams that are consistent losers.  At least it seems that way.  For decades, it was the Steeler.   And, FYI, for like 30-35 years it was in fact The Patriots.  The Cardinals have enjoyed that status longer than anyone.   The Bills have had their stints.  The Lions, and now the Browns. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

why should the league care if his franchise wins or loses? 

Yea....the league has always  had in interest in having teams that are consistent losers.  At least it seems that way.  For decades, it was the Steeler.   And, FYI, for like 30-35 years it was in fact The Patriots.  The Cardinals have enjoyed that status longer than anyone.   The Bills have had their stints.  The Lions, and now the Browns. 

Let's not get sidetracked on that.

I'm just REALLY frustrated with what this pathetic ownership did with an ideal opportunity.  All they care about is getting richer off the shared revenue of the TV contract.  Jimmy just told everyone in the presser he doesn't need to change so he won't.  Once a crook - always a crook.

Let's not get sidetracked on that.

Why not...I don't see what it is you are trying focus on anyway.

I'm just REALLY frustrated with what this pathetic ownership did with an ideal opportunity.  All they care about is getting richer off the shared revenue of the TV contract.  Jimmy just told everyone in the presser he doesn't need to change so he won't.  Once a crook - always a crook.

I really do NOT think that it is the money that JH is concerned about so much.  They just pulled in haul from Warren Buffett by selling the majority interest in Pilot to him.  Their pockets are stuffed.   

I just think that he has absolutely no sense of purpose or direction when it comes to managing this team......other than it seems that he insists that HE manage the team, rather than handing it over to real professional.  LIke someone said, he basically listens to the last man that talks to him, and in this instance, that last man is Depodesta....who seemingly will be controlling things from the cozy confines of his beach house in sunny La Jolla CA.    Great.  I guess if Randy Lerner can run things from The Hamptons, we can have a guy from La Jolla doing it.  

Why oh why didn't Buffett just go ahead and buy the Browns while he was at it.   At least we know he would not have been meddlesome and flaky, like JH.   He would have put competent management in place and let them do their jobs.

52 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Just wait until one of the most important/influential coaches to Stefanski gets hired as our next Offensive Coordinator.  His name?  Peppermint Patty Shurmur. 

Remember Shurmur facing 4th and 1 with a 2 score deficit in the 4th quarter at the Indy 38 yard line against the 31st ranked defense?  Shurmur decided our best option was to punt the football, which went past the end zone for a touch back netting us only 18 yards.  Indy thanked us for the forfeit keeping the ball for the next 6-8 minutes while everyone on the Cleveland Browns got the message from Shurmur it was okay to quit like he did that day.  My dad, who was dying of cancer at the time (just 1 day before Hospice), said I can't believe this storied franchise would ever hire such a F---ing pussy.  Even worse (and just like with Ray Horton), here comes the encore we can gag on...

I know many think Kubiak will be the guy (OC) but he made it clear he didn't have the time for an OC gig in Minnesota (so he just played Lifeguard to the OC).

You almost have to try to suck this bad as an ownership.  I feel bad for Stefanski because he didn't hire himself and he's probably a nice guy.  It was just the same criteria-free hiring process that has kept this sentenced to "It's only Cleveland."    If the owner doesn't care while he's making the most money of his life - why should the league care if his franchise wins or loses? 

Not sure Shurmur would take the gig, not sure Haslam would go with it.

That said, Shurmur is a good coordinator.  The Pete Principle says people reach they level of incompetence.  I'd take Romeo as defensive coordinator....Pettine as well.

54 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Remember Shurmur facing 4th and 1 with a 2 score deficit in the 4th quarter at the Indy 38 yard line against the 31st ranked defense?  Shurmur decided our best option was to punt the football

Here's the thing, Flugs... an OC doesn't make those decisions.

Patsy has failed twice as a HC, but each time he earned the opportunity by producing as an OC. We know it was not due to his electric personality...

The experience he has had as an HC can be valuable to a first time HC.... organizing practices and other behind-the-scenes stuff.

Last Stef knows Pat from their time together in MN. So if he hires him he knows their philosophies align and they can work together. That's pretty important... especially for a first-time HC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

And Schurloss just got hired as OC by the Broncos, so this thread is now a moot point.

Interesting.... can't see where they've ever crossed paths before. Fangio must have admired him from afar...

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I thought it was about the sense of direction the Browns are going.  That is never really moot.

Nevertheless. 

tenor.gif?itemid=6021378

Not that I’m very religious, but thank you Jesus

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

I remember that, and also remember him ruining our Christmas Eve in Ratbird land, allowing the 1st half clock run out with a timeout and the Seneca Wallace-led Browns on the 5 yard line. 

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

You almost have to try to suck this bad as an ownership.  I feel bad for Stefanski because he didn't hire himself and he's probably a nice guy. 

I understand the thinking that this is just another Kitchens hire except it'll be DePodesta going down with the ship if it sinks.   BUT, who know if the egg beater splattered it straight this time.  We shall find out as time goes by.  Maybe he'll be good, maybe great, maybe he's in over his head.  -  We can take a poll.....but we'll still have to wait and see.

8 hours ago, MDDawg said:

No one knows how this is going to turn out, as I said on this board before Hue's hire was popular and not many people opposed Kitchens. In fact the only hire that lived up to it's hype was Butch Davis so let's see how this plays out.

Don't know, we'll see?  

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

Yep. Mods could definitely benefit by closing some threads.

Hey, I was too busy watching the KC and Green Bay games...   :)   But Sure-loss probably wasn't coming back to NE Ohio regardless....  

7 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Yep. Mods could definitely benefit by closing some threads.

Sorry for venting my frustration.  I've always tried been a rose colored glasses guy almost to a fault; but this owner has hired 7 Head Coaches since 2012 and he's still refusing to GET what's wrong.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the our new Scapegoat, I mean Head Coach.  Seems like a nice hard working guy with great intentions coming to a business where they're still trying to get organized at getting organized since 2012.  Maybe some day someone they will actually establish some hiring criteria. Until then, it would be nice if our ownership finally hired the right guy even if by accident.   

Edited by Flugel

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Here's the thing, Flugs... an OC doesn't make those decisions.

Patsy has failed twice as a HC, but each time he earned the opportunity by producing as an OC. We know it was not due to his electric personality...

The experience he has had as an HC can be valuable to a first time HC.... organizing practices and other behind-the-scenes stuff.

Last Stef knows Pat from their time together in MN. So if he hires him he knows their philosophies align and they can work together. That's pretty important... especially for a first-time HC.

Good points Tour!  That said he was a good OC before he came to Cleveland and took on being a HC and OC.  He was awful here. We've hired a lot of Coordinators from better organizations that came here for an absolute culture shock nightmare.  It's humbled and tarnished careers of some pretty well respected guys (at least outside of Cleveland).

I'm playing pin the tail on the donkey. Only in this scenario the donkey is wearing the blindfolds.  And the donkey is Jimmy...

42 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Sorry for venting my frustration.  I've always tried been a rose colored glasses guy almost to a fault; but this owner has hired 7 Head Coaches since 2012 and he's still refusing to GET what's wrong.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the our new Scapegoat, I mean Head Coach.  Seems like a nice hard working guy with great intentions coming to a business where they're still trying to get organized at getting organized since 2012.  Maybe some day someone they will actually establish some hiring criteria. Until then, it would be nice if our ownership finally hired the right guy even if by accident.   

You're good, dude. I wasn't singling you out or anything, I was just making the general observation that since we know who the coach is now, the mods can shut down the 50 other threads going simultaneously about the different options.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This will be a first-time head coach paired with a first-time GM paired with a young team that doesn't know how to win paired with an owner that doesn't know how to win.  This is almost guaranteed to implode because everyone is in diapers

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

"old Shaky"???

image.png.399c3568f95d03c782c9cc36b1b88000.png

LOL. I took a flight one time in the AF, good bit smaller than that one - to go meet a girlfriend in Nebraska. Navigator was explaining to me that if just one engine fails, they'd have to land somewhere, fairly quickly. "old shaky" is pretty much right on.