THE BROWNS BOARD

Soldiering On. GM/OC/DC choices

The Gipper

On 1/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, hx214 said:

Man.... I don’t know if Wilks is all that bad.

His all pro DE center piece of his defense gets bounced. The only other pass rusher on the other side of the ball (Vernon) can’t stay on the field, Your GM traded away any DE depth you had for a worthless safety and a 4th round pick leaving you with no names,  half the games Ward played this year he looked like he couldn’t cover a JV WR, Redwine looked lost out there at times....

Not going to say I’ll be upset if they move on, but I’ll take Wilks defense over Ray Horton or O’Neil’s

If your two pass rushing ends aren't on the field wouldn't you scheme to blitz more to get pressure on the qb? Or maybe put 3 linebackers on the field since your run d also took a big hit without those two?

What defensive end did our gm trade away for a worthless safety and 4th round pick? Im assuming the 4th round pick you're referring to is avery trade.  If so, he is linebacker depth not defense end depth.

The other I'm assuming is the trade for Eric Murray.  Yes ogbah would have provided depth (especially knowing vernon has been often injured the last couple years) but murray is far from a worthless safety.  He provided both nickel and safety depth and everyone knows wilkes loves his db's (see refusal to put more than 2 linebackers on the field). Murray got hurt which is a knock on him this year, but wasn't recurring theme prior to this year. Sometimes injuries just happen and are part of the game.  For example Emanuel ogbah got injured week 10 this year and missed the rest of the season (so I don't know how much he would have helped depth this year). The reason that guy (redwine) that looked lost out there was even on the field was because he was drafted to be a special teamer early in his career while he learned but was forced into action due to injury to Murray. If that "worthless safety" wasn't on the team redwine would have been forced into action by like week 5.

Ward definitely has ouchie concerns and regressed this year,  but don't know if it was as bad as you say. Though I admit he did regress, but isn't that on the DC? He was not scheming to fit his two press man corners.  He was trying to fit two press man corners into his mostly zone coverage scheme and when they did play man they bailed off the line 70% of the time and let receivers get free releases. 

As far as taking wilks over horton hears a who or O'Neil. That's not saying much.  It's like saying I would take the (insert NFL team) qbs the past 10 years over the browns qbs the past 10 years.

32 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Do you think Paulie DePodesta cradles Con Man Jimmy's balls while he strokes him off? 

How's that for some fairness? 

What... can't take a compliment?

I'm determined to play nice today... so do your damnedest.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/14/report-browns-will-hire-steve-wilks-or-joe-woods-as-defensive-coordinator/

I don't know........ I'm thinkin Joe Woods.... maybe. Although... with Wilks there would be some continuity.

Joe Woods.

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Looking around...two names:

Kevin OConnell sp?

and Jim Caldwell.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/former-nfl-head-coach-jim-caldwell-eager-to-return-to-sidelines-in-2020/

offensive coordinator for the Browns.

I thought O'Connell was already snatched up by the Rams.  That was what was reported on here when it was said that, if McD got the job, he would bring him with him, but now couldn't because he was taken. 

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I thought O'Connell was already snatched up by the Rams.  That was what was reported on here when it was said that, if McD got the job, he would bring him with him, but now couldn't because he was taken. 

yep, pretty much a done deal, I guess.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2870781-report-brandon-staley-rams-agree-to-contract-as-dc-to-replace-wade-phillips

Report: Kevin O'Connell, Brandon Staley Finalizing Rams Contracts as New OC, DC

• Thanks 1