THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

Dutch Oven

Lots of negativity about a guy who hasn't even coached a game yet.      I'm a fan of his as the head coach until he gives me a reason to not support him as the head coach. 

Freddie said all the right things last January as well and that didn't work out so well but I'll give this dude a chance to be the guy to turn everything around. 

Carry on with the sky is falling....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Lots of negativity about a guy who hasn't even coached a game yet.      I'm a fan of his as the head coach until he gives me a reason to not support him as the head coach. 

Freddie said all the right things last January as well and that didn't work out so well but I'll give this dude a chance to be the guy to turn everything around. 

I think no matter who was chosen there was going to be a fair share of negativity about it.   McDaniels had his naysayers on here....as did Daboll, Schwartz and others.    Though...not much toward Saleh, Roman, Bienemy  (probably because no on figured any of them would get the job anyway). 

26 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I love this hire. Why? I don't really have the time for a typical bloated Jiggins post (I know, darn, right?) but just really quickly I like the STYLE of offense. I know we have fans on this board that like using a fullback. Guess what? You'll have one next year. Stefanski also uses many principles that Shanahan does, and I LOVE that. Many plays will look identical and that's how he gets receivers open down the field and effective play action. 

I'm stoked, I really am. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Well said. The guy willingly took the job, so he’s kinda my hero for the moment. He gets to coach my favorite team. 

• Upvote 1

The search is over, Kevin Stefanski's our head coach. Going to support him fully until he proves otherwise ( which in the case of Freddie was after the home opener). He can incorporate analytics, meet the owner every Monday (Modell used to do this) as long as he wins. Will stream his opening press conference as I have for every other coach in the last 10 yrs.Go Browns!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I love this hire. Why? I don't really have the time for a typical bloated Jiggins post (I know, darn, right?) but just really quickly I like the STYLE of offense. I know we have fans on this board that like using a fullback. Guess what? You'll have one next year. Stefanski also uses many principles that Shanahan does, and I LOVE that. Many plays will look identical and that's how he gets receivers open down the field and effective play action. 

I'm stoked, I really am. 

There was tons of speculation that our qb coach was the brains of the operation in 7-8-1 season. That may have been true.  I definitely think he helped Baker a ton.  One thing is definite though Kubiak was brought into Minnesota to help stefanski because offense wasn't performing great and once Kubiak came in the offense performed much better.  So is Kubiak coming to Cleveland also?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark O said:

Interesting article and maybe im being pessimistic (well I am a browns fan) but this quote from Kubiak isn't a good thing. 

“The key to getting in position to do those type of things is calling games, calling defenses, calling offenses, making decisions, handling a meeting room of a bunch of players, being able to get the most out of not only players but coaches as well."

He did say he thinks he is brilliant right before this quote but does this mean that stefanski wasn't calling plays on gameday, designing offensive gameplans, or running the offensive meetings? That in order for him to get in a position to be a head coach he has to start doing these things.  Lends credence to the fact offense got much better once Kubiak was brought in to babysit stefanski.

I just see a ton of similarities between stefanski and Freddie's paths. Freddie te coach, qb coach, rb coach, associate head coach, 1/2 season of coordinator (that people credit to qb coach)   13 years experience. Stefanski assistant to head coach te coach rb coach 1 season coordinator (people credit a lot of success to Kubiak) 12 years experience. 

Edited by bjh2130
Changed Freddie's experience from 12 to 13 years. He had 12 years prior to being hired by browns as rb coach associate head coach. 13 years when hired as head coach
  • Sad 1

OMG. 12 years....

New York Giants (1979–1990)

In 1979, Belichick began a 12-year stint with the New York Giants alongside head coach Ray Perkins as a defensive assistant and special teams coach.[24] He added linebackers coaching to his duties in 1980 and was named defensive coordinator in 1985 under head coach Bill Parcells, who had replaced Perkins in 1983. The Giants won Super Bowl XXI and Super Bowl XXV following the 1986 and 1990 seasons.[25][26] His defensive game plan from the New York Giants' 20–19 upset of the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXV has been placed in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[27]

Cleveland Browns (1991–1995)

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland, he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team.[28] Coincidentally, his one playoff victory during his Browns tenure was achieved against the New England Patriots in the Wild Card Round during that postseason.[29] In Belichick's last season in Cleveland, the Browns finished 5–11, despite starting 3–1.[30] One of his most controversial moves was cutting quarterback Bernie Kosar midway through the 1993 season. Kosar was signed by the Dallas Cowboys two days later and won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXVIII. In November 1995, in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season.[31] After first being given assurances that he would coach the new team that would later become the Baltimore Ravens, Belichick was instead fired on February 14, 1996, one week after the shift was officially announced.[32]

1979...to 1991...

oh, no. 12 years. DAMMIT

lol

43 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Interesting article and maybe im being pessimistic (well I am a browns fan) but this quote from Kubiak isn't a good thing. 

“The key to getting in position to do those type of things is calling games, calling defenses, calling offenses, making decisions, handling a meeting room of a bunch of players, being able to get the most out of not only players but coaches as well."

He did say he thinks he is brilliant right before this quote but does this mean that stefanski wasn't calling plays on gameday, designing offensive gameplans, or running the offensive meetings? That in order for him to get in a position to be a head coach he has to start doing these things.  Lends credence to the fact offense got much better once Kubiak was brought in to babysit stefanski.

I just see a ton of similarities between stefanski and Freddie's paths. Freddie te coach, qb coach, rb coach, associate head coach, 1/2 season of coordinator (that people credit to qb coach)   12 years experience. Stefanski assistant to head coach te coach rb coach 1 season coordinator (people credit a lot of success to Kubiak) 12 years experience. 

Good for you for finding the negative in an article literally titled “Kevin Stefanski is The Perfect Fit”. The word “The” really is capitalized it the title. 

Usually when the writer lauds the intelligence and capability of the dude in question, and THEN expounds upon the responsibilities of the job, they are trying to convey that they believe the person in question is capable of handling those responsibilities. 

But l get where you’re coming from. This guy’s younger than me! What does he know about forming a coaching staff? And this talk about no “arranged marriages” from Haslam? Yeesh. 

Stefanski very well may know who he wants as an OC, and maybe DC, and running backs coach and maybe even a QB coach.

But are we really expected to believe he has a long list of candidates for LB coach? Or defensive quality assurance coach?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Good for you for finding the negative in an article literally titled “Kevin Stefanski is The Perfect Fit”. The word “The” really is capitalized it the title. 

Usually when the writer lauds the intelligence and capability of the dude in question, and THEN expounds upon the responsibilities of the job, they are trying to convey that they believe the person in question is capable of handling those responsibilities. 

But l get where you’re coming from. This guy’s younger than me! What does he know about forming a coaching staff? And this talk about no “arranged marriages” from Haslam? Yeesh. 

Stefanski very well may know who he wants as an OC, and maybe DC, and running backs coach and maybe even a QB coach.

But are we really expected to believe he has a long list of candidates for LB coach? Or defensive quality assurance coach?

I just found it interesting that Kubiak said he has a brilliant coaching future but expanded on the comment by saying the keys to getting into position (head coach)  are to do the types of things like calling games (playcall), calling offenses (playcall/gameplan maybe), calling defenses (wouldn't expect him to have experience in this as he is offensive guy), making decisions, running large meetings. So im just wondering if has of November 2019 had stefanski not done things a normal offensive coordinator would do i.e. run the offensive meetings (especially with defensive head coach), call plays, develop gameplans. I guess I just wouldn't have used that quote in the article because it can be taken that Kubiak doesn't believe he is experienced enough in those things. 

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

OMG. 12 years....

New York Giants (1979–1990)

In 1979, Belichick began a 12-year stint with the New York Giants alongside head coach Ray Perkins as a defensive assistant and special teams coach.[24] He added linebackers coaching to his duties in 1980 and was named defensive coordinator in 1985 under head coach Bill Parcells, who had replaced Perkins in 1983. The Giants won Super Bowl XXI and Super Bowl XXV following the 1986 and 1990 seasons.[25][26] His defensive game plan from the New York Giants' 20–19 upset of the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXV has been placed in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[27]

Cleveland Browns (1991–1995)

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland, he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team.[28] Coincidentally, his one playoff victory during his Browns tenure was achieved against the New England Patriots in the Wild Card Round during that postseason.[29] In Belichick's last season in Cleveland, the Browns finished 5–11, despite starting 3–1.[30] One of his most controversial moves was cutting quarterback Bernie Kosar midway through the 1993 season. Kosar was signed by the Dallas Cowboys two days later and won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXVIII. In November 1995, in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season.[31] After first being given assurances that he would coach the new team that would later become the Baltimore Ravens, Belichick was instead fired on February 14, 1996, one week after the shift was officially announced.[32]

1979...to 1991...

oh, no. 12 years. DAMMIT

lol

If this is in reference to my comp of Freddie and stefanski the 12 years (which I corrected in original post Freddie actually had 13 years exp. before being named head coach) is just one of the many similarities.  They were same position coaches along the way,  assistant to head coach and associate head coach, both very limited coordinator experience, and both were rumored to be helped out quite a bit behind the scenes by more experienced coaches when they were coordinators.  

Bill had 5 years of being a coordinator before before getting his gig which is a big difference. Also if stefanski starts out with two losing seasons like bill did I guarantee he doesn't get a 3rd from jimmy. 

18 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I just found it interesting that Kubiak said he has a brilliant coaching future but expanded on the comment by saying the keys to getting into position (head coach)  are to do the types of things like calling games (playcall), calling offenses (playcall/gameplan maybe), calling defenses (wouldn't expect him to have experience in this as he is offensive guy), making decisions, running large meetings. So im just wondering if has of November 2019 had stefanski not done things a normal offensive coordinator would do i.e. run the offensive meetings (especially with defensive head coach), call plays, develop gameplans. I guess I just wouldn't have used that quote in the article because it can be taken that Kubiak doesn't believe he is experienced enough in those things. 

I share your concerns. I don’t put much credence in interviews though. Being good at  football coaching and being good and interviews are different. Writers can cut and paste. 

2 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

There was tons of speculation that our qb coach was the brains of the operation in 7-8-1 season. That may have been true.  I definitely think he helped Baker a ton.  One thing is definite though Kubiak was brought into Minnesota to help stefanski because offense wasn't performing great and once Kubiak came in the offense performed much better.  So is Kubiak coming to Cleveland also?

That's a great question. I hope he does! 

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

If this is in reference to my comp of Freddie and stefanski the 12 years (which I corrected in original post Freddie actually had 13 years exp. before being named head coach) is just one of the many similarities.  They were same position coaches along the way,  assistant to head coach and associate head coach, both very limited coordinator experience, and both were rumored to be helped out quite a bit behind the scenes by more experienced coaches when they were coordinators.  

Bill had 5 years of being a coordinator before before getting his gig which is a big difference. Also if stefanski starts out with two losing seasons like bill did I guarantee he doesn't get a 3rd from jimmy. 

Bill started out with 3 losing seasons...then one winning season (playoffs), then another losing season.

4 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Kubiak's contract status with the Vikings is unclear....  If he's still under contract, Minnesota can block him from leaving for a sub- head coach position....  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Kubiak's contract status with the Vikings is unclear....  If he's still under contract, Minnesota can block him from leaving for a sub- head coach position....  

That's right.  I forgot that all "assistant" coach positions, whether its qb coach te coach quality assurance coach or offensive coordinator, are seen as lateral moves.  Thanks for reminder. 

5 hours ago, Mark O said:

Good read and I smiled when I realized we're going to see Baker rolling out... a lot...

On 1/13/2020 at 8:52 PM, Tour2ma said:

Not many, but then we now have word that the Monday meeting will be a post mortem of the game just played.... and I am sure those are fairly common.

If there's a game plan meeting, it would appear it will be on Friday which basically eliminates any "meddling" concerns since the plan is locked in by then. A si article I posted earlier around here somewhere explained how this is all a good thing ensuring that the Analytics boys are ready to support the HC and staff come Sunday.

As for Haslam's meddling... how many instances have there really been? He...

• went with a glorified scout who talked out of turn in the War room and gave us Manziel;
  • decided on Hue Jackson after getting schmoozed by the snake, and
  • bailed on a 5-year commitment to a new way of doing things when Dorsey, the other snake, got in his ear.

I grant you these were doozies, but the count I keep coming up with is these three.

I’m guessing if we know of three there are quite a few more behind the scenes. 

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

I’m guessing if we know of three there are quite a few more behind the scenes. 

And you are likely right, but what was their likely impact since we never heard of them and were any of them positives?

Meanwhile the whole bit about a Friday game plan meeting is now moot, since there never was a demand for a Friday meeting.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:14 PM, Tour2ma said:

Good read and I smiled when I realized we're going to see Baker rolling out... a lot...

I thought this might have impressed you even more. 🤗

"Similar to how the Vikings invested two of their top four draft picks on interior offensive lineman, the Cleveland Browns will need to make significant investments in this offensive line in order to make the scheme work. "

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I thought this might have impressed you even more. 🤗

"Similar to how the Vikings invested two of their top four draft picks on interior offensive lineman, the Cleveland Browns will need to make significant investments in this offensive line in order to make the scheme work. "

It might have... except our OL is at least a 2-year project. ;)