THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

Dutch Oven

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Link??? or are you talking out of your ass, too?

Face it amigo. Every single solitary bit of news evidence conjecture speculation whatever you decide to call it is pulled out of somebody's ass. 

That goes from the lowliest Newbie on a local football bulletin board to the highest-rated Sports Talk and information professional.

WSS

Before the wild card games, people were talking about how the Vikings might release Zimmer and promote stefanski if they got blown out because they love stefanski and didn't wanna see him go.

Now people hate the hire and Vikings fans couldn't care less to see him go.

Interesting how the rumors and perception changed.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

At least you've got some "word is" in your post... and it's saying that that McD overstepped his bounds. At least that's consistent with what we know about the guy. The big question is what did McD propose in place of the reduction in Depo's role?

As for telling an owner not to meddle... how arrogant can an employee be? Kraft meddled... got right in the middle of the Jimmy G/ TB12 thing... and Jimmy G went to SF. Bill did well to get a 2nd considering the circumstances. Like it or not, it's Jimmah's pie...

As for the weekly game plan reviews... I made fun of them earlier, but they could be much about nothing. For starters I have to believe they're very high-level, broad-brush talks, if for no other reason but that Depo and Jimmah don't know enough to get into the weeds. The plan should already have considered input from the analytics boys, so it's not like Depo's going to bring anything new to the meeting.

Feels to me like more of a... wait for it... process check to see how well their young HC is delegating responsibility for developing the plan for the week and how he assembles the pieces... the tactics, if you like... into an overall, winning strategy.

Bottom line... I don't think the weekly meet has to be a bad thing... and so long as it's not enough to drive off every candidate that's good enough for now.

Next check for me will be reports of when it occurs on Monday and how long the meetings last. If they are not end of the day and/or last more than 30 minutes... 45 tops... then I'll get worried.

Until then I'll just watch the hair-on-fire, chinese-fire-drill that is the Browns Board...

While they may be much to do about nothing, it’s still pretty hard at face value to not dislike and scoff the general idea. It’s a really bad look for an owner who literally has been the worst in the NFL in figuring this out, so far anyway. At face value Haslam wanting this just sounds dumb and another feather to the cap of someone who has no clue what to do.

im fine with the hire though. McDaniels is obviously a needy bitch and that attitude loses locker rooms fast. But to be Honest if this doesn’t work the NFL should seriously consider stepping in and hiring a league mandated GM. Last straw for me with the Haslams

I'm ambivalent about stefanski. I did not want McDaniels and so I'm happy with that. Something about McDaniels didnt feel like the right move to me. You can learn from a mastand never be that master. Tom Brady, over McDaniels' run, was and is an all time great. And there's also more going on in new England. A rolling Stone gathers no moss. The players feel like they're playing for a champion in new England. Whether they're right or wrong they perceive Cleveland as a doormat and that, to me, is the biggest obstacle that must be overcome. Image matters. A lot. In this generation, in America, image is more important than it's ever been. The browns must change their image from that of a doormat and loser.

A lot of people poo poohed the thought of urban meyer as a NFL head coach but I thought this is a guy who knows the right calls to make and when to make them and knows how to hire subordinates to run different aspects of the team and knows how to identify talent. I mean what more are we looking for? 

But.  We've got stefanski. And it sounds like Paul depodesta is going to be the puppet master. So...no comment. I hope it works out. At least he's not a fat disgusting hillbilly moron slob so that's one image problem fixed. 

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

Either great or a disaster.  

Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

• Thanks 1

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Mmmh not quite the same, but it must be the closest. 

10 minutes ago, Nero said:

We have a song sorta like that.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Here it's called the Costanza Opposite Strategy - or COS for short. 

4 hours ago, bbedward said:

Before the wild card games, people were talking about how the Vikings might release Zimmer and promote stefanski if they got blown out because they love stefanski and didn't wanna see him go.

Now people hate the hire and Vikings fans couldn't care less to see him go.

Interesting how the rumors and perception changed.

I never heard those rumors.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Always set your expectations low, that way you will never be disappointed. 

That is not exactly translate right either, but it does apply here. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

And when in doubt prepare for a party.......

Iy2b.gif

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

All the football talking heads on television I saw yesterday seemed to think Stefanski was a good hire so we'll see. I'm hopeful.

It was interesting.  It seemed many were positive some were “well he just got rolled by the Niners”  

Sean Payton’s reaction was most interesting he kind of rolled his eyes at our organization - here we go again.  He didn’t really come down on the hire though 

4 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

A lot of people poo poohed the thought of urban meyer as a NFL head coach but I thought this is a guy who knows the right calls to make and when to make them and knows how to hire subordinates to run different aspects of the team and knows how to identify talent. I mean what more are we looking for? 

But.  We've got stefanski. And it sounds like Paul depodesta is going to be the puppet master. So...no comment. I hope it works out. At least he's not a fat disgusting hillbilly moron slob so that's one image problem fixed. 

He’s not “yes man” though.  And truthfully he had a Freddie like team his last two/three years Uber talented by highly disorganized.  

Then you have to question his offense.  Is he willing to change? And then his control freak nature couple with his health

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh shit you and cal too?   We're fucked.😂

Stephanski wasn't "my guy". Try to get at least ONE fact straight this month, okay?

I wanted Kris Richard, who wasn't interviewed. "Reading comprehension" IS a thing, you know.

well, I saw an interview with the Viking's center, and he said it's tough to see him go, but the Browns were getting

an outstanding teacher and coach, etc. So there's that.

Ryan: Stefanski is a fantastic hire for the Browns

Matt Hasselbeck, Rex Ryan, Tedy Bruschi and Sean Payton react to the news that the Browns are planning to hire Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski as their new head coach.

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Face it amigo. Every single solitary bit of news evidence conjecture speculation whatever you decide to call it is pulled out of somebody's ass.

And I understand that... it's just that when speculation is presented as fact that I get a little testy.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And I understand that... it's just that when speculation is presented as fact that I get a little testy.

And every single meaningless thing he did/does whatever will be dissected like a frog in biology class.

It's going to be a long Winter and Spring coming up.  I choose to just chill out.    :lol:

I think in the end Jimmy felt he finally needed to heed Depos advice.  Depo has made several recommendations that would have been solid choices only to have Jimmy opt for Hue and Doofus Dorsey decide on Freddie.

I do think we are going have solid alignment between Stefanski and Berry, both whom will be open to using the analytics that Depo and staff will provide on a weekly basis. Even in game basis.  I hope a member of the Depo team is on the sidelines with the ability to feed the coach info in real time, point out things that could help with halftime adjustments  Doofus wasn't open to that.  He would rather sit there and watch Freddie fall in love with plays that didn't work. It started to look like "Tin Cup" with Costner determined to carry the water.   It never hurts to get solid information that can help towards making  better decisions.

We all want that, right?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I think in the end Jimmy felt he finally needed to heed Depos advice.  Depo has made several recommendations that would have been solid choices only to have Jimmy opt t never hurts to get solid information that can help towards making  better decisions.

We all want that, right?

Yes.  I'd like to see some solid thinking have a chance to play out and work.

We diehard BROWNS fans have become weary of decades of mismanagement.

GO BROWNS, get it right.

• Upvote 1

And now another account of what Jimmah requested is out... and it doesn't match up with the Fox and Friends drive-time broadcast.

Stefanski presented a detailed vision of how he will approach the head coaching job. He made it clear he was willing to yield to certain DePodesta standards, such as an analytics person with a head set and access to the coaching staff on game days, in addition to certain Haslam likes, such as hours-long, Monday-after, owner-coach meetings.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20200112/steve-doerschuk-josh-mcdaniels-wouldnrsquot-back-down-browns-owner-backed-away

Here the Monday meeting is not an upcoming "game plan" focused, but a post-mortem of the game just played... not an outrageous thing for an owner to request.

Here the analytics involvement is more of a game-day thing with an "Analytics Assistant Coach" wired into the HC's ear. Seems to me to be a lot of advantages to this ranging from basic reminders... such as when to go for 2 and when to go on 4th down... to feedback on when the playcalling is getting a little too run/pass-happy or a left/tight tendency is developing. There's no mention of turning in a plan or a meeting on it.

More to come I'm sure...

In other news Fox updated his afternoon, drive-time broadcast in a tweet Sunday night: " “Was also told candidates also had to agree to turn in game plans to the owner and analytics department on Friday and to attend an end-of-week analytics meeting to discuss their plan.”

So the reported Monday game-plan meet moved to Friday...

I'd just like to point out that a Friday game-plan meeting makes no sense whatsoever if it's intent is anything more than simply informing Jimmah and Depo.

Game plans are substantially generated by the staff with Analytics input on Monday, the players' day off. "The Plan" is then practiced to throughout the week. And while it may be refined through the week, no major changes are possible on Friday.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Stephanski wasn't "my guy". Try to get at least ONE fact straight this month, okay?

I wanted Kris Richard, who wasn't interviewed. "Reading comprehension" IS a thing, you know.

Oh, sorry then.   I guess I should never have put you and Poe together as cheerleaders?  Poor Poe, all alone:

sad-cartoon-black-woman-cheerleader-cart

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And now another account of what Jimmah requested is out... and it doesn't match up with the Fox and Friends drive-time broadcast.

Here the Monday meeting is not an upcoming "game plan" focused, but a post-mortem of the game just played... not an outrageous thing for an owner to request.

Here the analytics involvement is more of a game-day thing with an "Analytics Assistant Coach" wired into the HC's ear. Seems to me to be a lot of advantages to this ranging from basic reminders... such as when to go for 2 and when to go on 4th down... to feedback on when the playcalling is getting a little too run/pass-happy or a left/tight tendency is developing. There's no mention of turning in a plan or a meeting on it.

More to come I'm sure...

In other news Fox updated his afternoon, drive-time broadcast in a tweet Sunday night: " “Was also told candidates also had to agree to turn in game plans to the owner and analytics department on Friday and to attend an end-of-week analytics meeting to discuss their plan.”

I'd just like to point out that a Friday game-plan meeting makes no sense whatsoever if it's intent is anything more than simply informing Jimmah and Depo.

Game plans are substantially generated by the staff with Analytics input on Monday, the players' day off. "The Plan" is then practiced to throughout the week. And while it may be refined through the week, no major changes are possible on Friday.

I heard stories on the radio this morning that Art Modell used to require his coaching staff to come to his house in Waite Hill....the NIGHT of the day they played a game, and make them go over every play and every strategy they used that day in the game, and if they won it was a bit of a celebration, and if they lost, it was a torture session.     I guess he would serve up a whole mess of pasta and serve it with red wine...and make the staff go through the analysis of the game, right then. 

So, I guess this shit is not at all new.  It just takes a different form. 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Coulda fooled me. Here is a "fact" from page 3 of this very thread. If that is not an endorsement then I don't know what is. I read yours first and then PoG's and exactly what did you expect me to say other than "We're fucked"?

cal said on Sept 14 right here in this thread on page 3:

"well, I bought into the hype with the last two failure hc's...so third time is the charm. Personally, I put a lot of stock in who said also, it's a "fantastic" hire in the video. that means serious stuff, imho.

This time, I'm seeing that they learned their lesson. Stephanski is no "nice guy fuddy duddy nincampoop gonna fail" guy. you betcha. and that is with a UDFA at ROG and a terrific RT that got hurt in the playoff game." 

Next time try to remember your "facts" for at least two days after you post them. "Writing comprehension" IS a thing you know.😂