THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

Dutch Oven

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate and future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

Either great or a disaster.  

I was assuming that that statement was a joke of some sort?   No

Just now, The Gipper said:

I was assuming that that statement was a joke of some sort?   No

Which part? The Jerry Jones quip? It's sarcasm coupled with insult.   I've been calling Haslam the Tennessee version of Jerry since he went over everyone's head and hand picked Manziel. An owner who is so convinced of his football prowess that his meddling has held back his own team.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta. 

borat.jpg

Again, this has to be a joke, right?   The owner and the "Strategic Planning Director"  (which I believe is his title).....plan to micromanage things to that extent? 

We are truly fucked then. 

You would think that just hiring a new HC would be a moment of hope for this team for the future.   That hope seems to have just been dashed on the Lake Erie Pier.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Which part? The Jerry Jones quip? It's sarcasm coupled with insult.   I've been calling Haslam the Tennessee version of Jerry since he went over everyone's head and hand picked Manziel. An owner who is so convinced of his football prowess that his meddling has held back his own team.

The part where the game plan must be submitted to the owner/Depo.

WTF do those guy know about putting together a game plan? 

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Between Freddie’s “coaching” and the defensive scheme.  I’d hope we can be at least a .500 team taking out the two factors above 

I'll make no predictions until I see FAs signed and the draft completed.

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

From what I've read from Dustin Fox and Daryl Ruiter, Stefanski is the head coach today because DePodesta knew that if McDaniels was hired, his days would be numbered. 

Typical Browns. 

So Stefanski was hired because the Browns wanted to keep DePodesta?  

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta.

Never a M*A*S*H clip available when you need one...

Colonel Blake : [to Spearchucker Jones at the football practice]  I had another idea. I think we should have some plays. You know, usually in football you have some organized plays...

Spearchucker : If you don't mind, I took the liberty.

Colonel Blake : Oh, you have...

Spearchucker : I drew up about seven or eight plays. I figure that's about all this bunch can handle.

Colonel Blake : Oh, these are good. These are very good. Uh, what are these little arrows?

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

From what I've read from Dustin Fox and Daryl Ruiter, Stefanski is the head coach today because DePodesta knew that if McDaniels was hired, his days would be numbered. 

Typical Browns. 

They must have gotten that directly from Depo... :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

So Stefanski was hired because the Browns wanted to keep DePodesta?  

I think so. 

Why else would Haslam give the power of running the head coaching search to someone whose contract runs out any day now? This was all a sham, it was Stefanski the minute Haslam handed the keys over to DePodesta. 

• Upvote 2

Jeezus, Dutch... that's obviously pure speculation and as such a fucking stupid thing to hang your hat upon.

For starters Depo was one of five making the selection with the Haslam's starting off in love with McD. Do you really think he could persuade all the others simply because it was in his interest?

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Jeezus, Dutch... that's obviously pure speculation and as such a fucking stupid thing to hang your hat upon.

For starters Depo was one of five making the selection with the Haslam's starting off in love with McD. Do you really think he could persuade all the others simply because it was in his interest?

Who is speculating now?

Did the five making the selection all write the name of the guy they wanted to be hired on a piece of paper, then tally them up and whoever had the majority won?

If Dorsey hired Kitchens to avoid having a strong personality to contend with, why is it hard to believe that anyone who would want DePodesta gone would have zero shot at the head coaching job? Especially is DePodesta WAS RUNNING THE HIRING PROCESS? This isn't hard to connect the dots. 

This would just be as typical a Browns move as any under the Haslams.

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yes 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Yup- why is he doing his failed model of having coach and GM report to him if he doesn't want to meddle?   

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Re-Po told Haslam, it's my way or I take the highway. RePo isn't that valuable a cog in the organization- MHO. He's got Has-been hypnotized. Unless behind the scenes- he's got documentation his analytics are better than anything we've done since he got here..... 

I think that we ALL knew that Stefanski was DePo's guy and that McDaniels was Haslam's guy.

DePodesta probably told Jimmuh, "Hey, if you're just plain never gonna listen to me then I'm out-a-here....and good luck hiring another new coach every year by doing things your way!"  

Now, if it fails, Jimmuh can say that it wasn't HIS idea.  And that He and the janitor had no idea that HIS company was screwing customers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I think that we ALL knew that Stefanski was DePo's guy and that McDaniels was Haslam's guy.

DePodesta probably told Jimmuh, "Hey, if you're just plain never gonna listen to me then I'm out-a-here....and good luck hiring another new coach every year by doing things your way!"  

Now, if it fails, Jimmuh can say that it wasn't HIS idea.  And that He and the janitor had no idea that HIS company was screwing customers.

I thought this too but word is that Haslam was not open to the changes McDaniels wanted to make. The biggest of those being him not meddling and also diminishing the role of Depo. McDaniels wasn’t hired because Jimmy wouldn’t get his fingers out of the pie. GET THIS - Dustin Fox is reporting that Stefanski has to sit down on Monday’s and review the gameplay with Haslam and Depo. If this is true we are doomed until that asshat is gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:
  1. Who is speculating now?
  2. Did the five making the selection all write the name of the guy they wanted to be hired on a piece of paper, then tally them up and whoever had the majority won?
  3. If Dorsey hired Kitchens to avoid having a strong personality to contend with, why is it hard to believe that anyone who would want DePodesta gone would have zero shot at the head coaching job?
  4. Especially is DePodesta WAS RUNNING THE HIRING PROCESS? This isn't hard to connect the dots. 
  5. This would just be as typical a Browns move as any under the Haslams.
  1. Not me. Calling out absurd speculation does not constitute speculation...
  2. I take it you've never been part of an Executive search committee.
  3. Because Depo unlike Dorsey isn't a self-preserving shit?
  4. See #2... plus "running the process" is not the same as "making the decision".
  5. Fits your paradigm, so it must be true?

If you are running an interview process that involves other interviewers, including your boss and folks he trusts at least as much as he does you, then your only potential control is of who interviews. Did you see any sign of this occurring during this process? Hell, even the Haslam's fair-haired boy was brought in... and last at that... last in front of the supposed last-guy-he-talks-to Jimmah. Pause for a second and think about that...

The only other leverage Depo would have is threatening to not sign a new contract should Stef not get the nod. Is it possible he did this? Sure... Do you think he had this kind of juice? I don't... but regardless he'd have no need to do so if the Selection Committee picked Stef to begin with... and that is a distinct possibility.

Also there's no basis for you to assume that Stef was destined to be Depo's first choice this time around just because he reportedly was a year ago. There were a good deal of new faces in this time around.

And FYI... the Executive searches in which I participated included:

• group openings including all interviewers of each candidate to get all the cordial and background BS out of the way,
  • followed by paired interviews with each pair having both common and predetermined different areas to probe,
  • followed by a group closing.

We then immediately reviewed candidates en masse and came to individual hiring consensus, i.e., yea or nay, thru discussion. .. no ballots... no bullshit. Wash...Rinse... repeat... until you have finalist(s). Usually the hardest thing at this stage was actually getting folks to voice negative reactions... kinda surprising actually.

Then you meet until you reach consensus on ordering your finalists for issuing offers... you never assume your top choice is going to accept your offer.

Not a process that lends itself to manipulation.

• Upvote 1

As a Browns fan, you can only hear the same story so many times before you decide you will have much more free time in the fall. It's the same old song and dance every year.

This cycle is going to repeat as long a Jimmy  Haslam owns the team. 

17 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I thought this too but word is that Haslam was not open to the changes McDaniels wanted to make. The biggest of those being him not meddling and also diminishing the role of Depo. McDaniels wasn’t hired because Jimmy wouldn’t get his fingers out of the pie. GET THIS - Dustin Fox is reporting that Stefanski has to sit down on Monday’s and review the gameplay with Haslam and Depo. If this is true we are doomed until that asshat is gone. 

At least you've got some "word is" in your post... and it's saying that that McD overstepped his bounds. At least that's consistent with what we know about the guy. The big question is what did McD propose in place of the reduction in Depo's role?

As for telling an owner not to meddle... how arrogant can an employee be? Kraft meddled... got right in the middle of the Jimmy G/ TB12 thing... and Jimmy G went to SF. Bill did well to get a 2nd considering the circumstances. Like it or not, it's Jimmah's pie...

As for the weekly game plan reviews... I made fun of them earlier, but they could be much about nothing. For starters I have to believe they're very high-level, broad-brush talks, if for no other reason but that Depo and Jimmah don't know enough to get into the weeds. The plan should already have considered input from the analytics boys, so it's not like Depo's going to bring anything new to the meeting.

Feels to me like more of a... wait for it... process check to see how well their young HC is delegating responsibility for developing the plan for the week and how he assembles the pieces... the tactics, if you like... into an overall, winning strategy.

Bottom line... I don't think the weekly meet has to be a bad thing... and so long as it's not enough to drive off every candidate that's good enough for now.

Next check for me will be reports of when it occurs on Monday and how long the meetings last. If they are not end of the day and/or last more than 30 minutes... 45 tops... then I'll get worried.

Until then I'll just watch the hair-on-fire, chinese-fire-drill that is the Browns Board...

40 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Link??? or are you talking out of your ass, too?

OK fine. DePodesta got his way- this time. Hyperbole? If you insist. There's one constant in this under performance- and besides you- the fingers point in one direction. Last year, Haslam listened to Dorsey- this year to RePo man. Consensus? My ass. It's abjectly failed ever since Haslam took over. In this case "past performance is indicative of future returns." I have zero, nada, zilch confidence it's going to work this time around. 

It's a real simple equation Tour. Either Depodesta is right, or the whole thing gets blown up again in two years. LOL- or less. Minus Repo Man next time- take it to the bank. 

Personally I don't give a crap who made the final call on the Stefanski hire. But I sure as hell side with Gipper that this "Coaching Search" was nothing more than a 90% preordained dog and pony show so DePodesta could get "his" guy. I hope it works. 

PS in 10 years when McDaniels has won his third Super Bowl with the Patriots because the analytics guys didn't agree with his vision, and the Browns are drafting #1 overall for the third time, well- that will about say it all.  

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So basically ya got nothing except negativity and a Gipper card... which is just more nothing.

Well, maybe  he matched your nothing with his nothing so you both have fucking nothing. What I got is  an  " I don’t give a shit attitude about how this decision was reached I only want it to be successful". My observation that it was just a dog and pony show was just that:  an observation 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So basically ya got nothing except negativity and a Gipper card... which is just more nothing.

What? Sorry if a decade plus of crap football have given me a real jaundiced eye on the proceedings. I got around 4 stats saying the Browns are the worst team in the league over that span. I'm damn tired of getting sunshine pumped up my ass. DePo and Jimmy are apparently pumping it up yours at 500 cfm.  And don't forget- at $2,000 bucks a year + I'm getting a pretty shitty return on my investment as a season ticket holder. 

You had better believe it  I let the Browns have it with my displeasure when the survey came up a few weeks ago. You want sunshine? Haslam won't dare raise ticket prices this year. So sorry- your opinion means nothing as far as giving the Browns any input. . However, I do have one small voice (at least indirectly) telling Jimmy his organization sucks. 

I DO NOT like this hire!

Keep in mind, I applauded the drafting of Manziel, the hiring of Hue, & the promotion of Freddie.

After analyzing the situation, I don't know Jack Shit!

GO BROWNS!

Canton Canton MikeMike

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4