THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

Dutch Oven

We got my guy!

Kevin Stefanski, it's about to be on! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I don"t have any issue with the analytic crowd, and every front office and coach in 2020 uses developed metrics and grading to some extent.

Where I take issue with is the lack of affirmation, the circular logic of sorts that we saw from the previous over use of it.  Especially in regards to the draft and personnel.  Sure it worked with mid rounds like Schob.    Numbers should back up film. Film should back up numbers. I believe my very first comments on Corey Coleman were,  "this kid owes Art Briles his signing bonus".  Go search and double check that for me.    But your first picks in those early rounds have to be contributors, they HAVE to hit for the sake of your team.    The film on CC and Ogbah didn't back up the grades.   

The lack of that recognition is what concerns me.  Again, their God cannot be questioned.   When applied with a certain... meta cognition, those advanced metrics and data collection can be quite helpful to any team.

Nailed it.

I'm not of the "football guys good, analytics guys nerds" mindset. I said it back when Sashi was fired, this isn't personal for me, like it seems to be for so many who are ardently "FOOTBALL GUYS" or "ANALYTIC GUYS". I think I mentioned that I didn't care if the Browns were run by a paraplegic black lesbian ex-NHL coach who used analytics and prayed to a statue of Vince Lombardi as long as that person was proficient at making the Browns a winning NFL team.

Why I didn't care for the Sashi/DePodesta/Berry 'THE PROCESS DREAM TEAM' was that they weren't very good at it.  

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

well, I bought into the hype with the last two failure hc's...so third time is the charm. Personally, I put a lot of stock in who said also, it's a "fantastic" hire in the video. that means serious stuff, imho.

This time, I'm seeing that they learned their lesson. Stephanski is no "nice guy fuddy duddy nincampoop gonna fail" guy. you betcha. and that is with a UDFA at ROG and a terrific RT that got hurt in the playoff game.

Is it Stephanski, or Stefanski?  Or Stevenski. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Just properly use the weapons we have:

Beckham 

Landry

Chubb 

Hunt 

80-90% of your touches spread out amongst these 4.

and please when we need a play it’s not time outthink the defense and hit Harris on a skinny post 

And can he incorporate the still seeminly talented Njoku into the scheme? 

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Jesus, you have gone compete Gipper when it comes to these guys. 

No....because my mind has always been completely open about our brain trust. 

Congrats. 

Unwarranted.

And the "Analytics Boys" comments were referring to the front office guys affiliated with Sashi, DePodesta, et al, not you. 

44 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Jesus, you have gone compete Gipper when it comes to these guys.  Congrats. 

And the "Analytics Boys" comments were referring to the front office guys affiliated with Sashi, DePodesta, et al, not you. 

First... no reason to start hitting below the belt...

Second... I know who you were referring to, but since my Boyz aren't here to defend themselves I thought I'd point out a much longer, traditional track record that hasn't exactly panned out.

There are a few Positives that I mentioned before...

But a Slight concern that he’s spent all his time with one organization- I think you can gain valuable perspective seeing how things are done whether  it’s positive or negative across the NFL landscape.  Granted he’s had different regimes Brad Childress to current regime. And we are talking the Vikings - they aren’t a bad organization to learn and grow under.  He’s a bright guy obviously UPenn.  We will see.  

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First... no reason to start hitting below the belt...

You  proven you have no balls down there, so why should it matter? 

Second... I know who you were referring to, but since my Boyz aren't here to defend themselves I thought I'd point out a much longer, traditional track record that hasn't exactly panned out.

See....bailed on them already.

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And can he incorporate the still seeminly talented Njoku into the scheme? 

Ive been down on Njoku since his rookie year.  He’s flashed in the Redzone on occasion.

But the truth remains he’s good for a drop, a dumb penalty and a crucial missed block seemingly every dang game.  

he’s no Rudolph that’s for sure and stefanski will likely see that 

On 1/1/2020 at 4:16 PM, D Bone said:

I type this well before we have the slightest clue who the next new former regime is going to be, and here is my 2020 season prediction:

There will slowly be a swell of optimism in a portion of the fan base, as the new regime holds multiple press conferences proclaiming how they will fix the Browns by working tirelessly to change the losing culture that infests the organization.  

Then the draft will come and go, and the Browns will be given top grades from many of the talking head know-it-alls, which will cause an even greater swell of optimism and in an even larger portion of the fan base.

Then OTAs will come and go, with reports of Baker and OBJ's chemistry looking elite, resulting in that swell growing even more. Finally, the pre-season will come and go, and after a 3-1 record, the swell will have morphed into an outright Gleam throughout the entire fan base as opening day grows nearer...................

.......... Then, after a tough opening day loss, the Gleam will be a little less bright, and by week 10 will be totally extinguished, leaving behind the familiar black hole of despair and anger through week 15, which then turns into indifference for the final 2 games of the season.

Once the 2020 6-10 season is officially over, then a facsimile of the above will slowly replicate itself again, and again, and... 

........... and so it begins. 

Kevin is a smart, young coach. He's humble, diligent and works cooperatively with the staff around him. He will make the Browns great again. 

7 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ive been down on Njoku since his rookie year.  He’s flashed in the Redzone on occasion.

But the truth remains he’s good for a drop, a dumb penalty and a crucial missed block seemingly every dang game.  

he’s no Rudolph that’s for sure and stefanski will likely see that 

Well, maybe he is a slow starter,  and Stinky will see his value and innate talent and exploit it.

45 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Don't bother, hoorta.

Tour is in complete Gipper-mode when it comes to THE PROCESS braintrust. You aren't getting him to admit any failing from them, ever. 

Oh sure, he'll try to do a false equivalency and say, for example, that I prayed at the alter that was John Dorsey, when I could show time after time I questioned his moves. No such thing exists for Tour and THE PROCESS. 

Now you're starting to piss me off... tends to happen when people put words in my mouth. Show me an instance when I ever put words in yours, and I'll STFU.

As for "The Process"... you bet your ass I loved it. But it was less for the role Analytics played in it. It was for the Consensus decision process at the heart of it. Ring a bell? That the experiment was cut short after year 2 of a committed 5-year period was beyond stupid. Even then I never claimed it was perfect... just a work in progress that showed progress despite being hitched to the worst HC since our resurrection.

My greatest frustration was the number of folks here that never even tried to understand it. Hell, most still refer to Sashi as the decider making picks, breaking ties, etc. I'm no longer sure you understand it since you're labeling the upcoming "Part Deux" simply based upon analytics having a role again.

Anyway... 2 years later here we are again... only without the draft capital we suffered so much to accumulate.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Orion said:

...and there were guys in the QB's face all game long.  

Welcome to the NFL. Vikings D looked lights out against New Orleans and then Shanahan put together a game plan.  Stefanski did nothing against the 49ers or the last three weeks with the playoffs on the line.  Good news is Cleveland has a great O Line and rock solid QB, smh

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

only without the draft capital we suffered so much to accumulate.

I thank the good Lord above that I don't believe in that Sashi and Co. had nothing to do with actually using the draft capital they suffered so much to accumulate. 

They had an enormous amount of draft capital in 2016 and 2017, and pissed most of it away. 

Jesus, 'THE PROCESS BRAINTRUST' damn near took Trubisky over Myles Garrett. 

21 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Kevin is a smart, young coach. He's humble, diligent and works cooperatively with the staff around him. He will make the Browns great again. 

Well, that's the kiss of death. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hoorta said:
  1. Dorse did a damn sight better than the Huebatross and Sashimi.
  2. I believe even Brown was surprised that the extent his teardown resulted in..   

And was it worth the price? How much better did you feel at the end of 2019 than you had the prior couple years?

Agree that no one expected the tear-down to be as bad as it turned out, but how much of that was Hue? Even Dorsey was only 2-5-1 with "Huebatross".

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I thank the good Lord above that I don't believe in that Sashi and Co. had nothing to do with actually using

Care to try that again in English?

• Haha 2

Tia is right on the money. You need to make sure the film and analytics lineup early.  The failing I’ve seen the past many years in the draft is grabbing guys in the first round at positions that haven’t made immediate impacts or drafting positions out of whack. Garrett and Mayfield, even though I’m not a Baker fan, made sense.  Ward and NJokeWho didn’t to me.