THE BROWNS BOARD

why I hope it's not Stefansky....

Tacosman

I’ll admit I didn’t read each line here carefully, so pardon. But I’m just absolutely out of my mind baffled people continue like OP continue to assume rushing minded offense isn’t the answer. The top four regular season rush offenses are in the divisional round. Outside of KC, all are top half of the league.

It’s really common sense, holding the ball and scoring on the ground leads to success. This has been true season after season in a so called “passing league”. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Watch tonight's Baltimore-Tennessee game.  I bet Tennessee comes out and tries to run henry a ton on first down, and I bet that goes nowhere and puts them in a ton of 2nd and 3rd and long.  Meanwhile Baltimore isn't going to do that early- they are going to run Lamar a lot, and throw with Lamar, and then mix in a *little* traditional runs.  Now the final rushing stats for ingram and the Baltimore backs may be respectable, but how many of those will come in the second half after the ravens get a big lead?

If Tennessee was smart, they would come out and do nothing but spread things out and throw.  Throw 14/15 plays to open the game.  Instead they are going to play right into the ravens hand and try to ground and pound, and it's going to turn out poorly for them.  On offense at least. 

How can one post be so wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

How can one post be so wrong?

Well as I heard one of the CBS commentators say last night in post-game commentary, "Derrick Henry is the modern day Jim Brown!" I think Taco may have been behind the door the last year and a half since Vrabel turned him loose to run over people and play keepaway with that run\PA pass kind of offense. As my son watched that jump pass TD by Henry his only question was, "When are they gonna let him punt?" 😁

BTW I loved that one play late where Tanny faked the handoff to Henry running left and took the bootleg for an 8 yard gain around the right side. Most people don't know that Tanny played his first two years at A&M as the #1 WR. He has excellent speed and hands. Look for Vrabel to have Henry throw to him on a HB option to the opposite side before these playoffs are finished.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tacosman said:

who said anything about PFF?   I am interested in looking at the data in a way as to determine what is more efficient.  A few points:

1) You use the word 'establish' the run, but as I pointed out that's a myth.  We have data that suggests play action pass is effective *independent* of whether the run has been 'established'.  We all grew up listening to talking heads ramble on about how they are running the ball so that play action will be more effective.  turns out it doesn't work that way.  You say later than play action works when the defense respects it.  This is not true.  Play action...just works.  Even if the other team hasn't been running the ball or hasn't run it effectively.

2) I really wouldn't say New England salvaged much of anything.  They were consistently poor on offense the entire second half of the year.  Sony Michelle was terrible all year, and the passing game for NE was bad as well. 

3) speaking of the dallas-seattle game, you talk about their offensive line struggling on the edges but when Wilson did drop back to pass that game GOOD THINGS HAPPENED.  So it didn't look like it was struggling to protect Wilson that game, as evident by his ypa and how effective he was.  Moreover as I pointed out in 1 and the data indicates, seattle couldnt run the ball at all and yet play action was still very effective for seattle. What killed them was all the first and second down running which went nowhere.  You can talk about pressure rates and such all you want...but that doesn't change the data or what actually happened. 

this issue has been settled some time ago.  Will teams continue to run the ball too much early in the game and on 1st down?  Maybe...but its definitely improved from several years ago.   Teams also do dumb non-analytically oriented things like punt too much.  The smart teams are catching on.  Smart coaches/teams knew this truth decades ago- remember what BB said to Lawrence Taylor and the rest of the giants defense(he was DC then) before the giants/bills sb.  He said "if Thurman Thomas runs for over 100 yards we will probably win this game".  BB recognizes that letting Thurman 'get his' was a great strategy.  And TT did.  But his carries are still a hell of a lot less effective than the real danger- Kelly getting the ball down the field to Reed and Lofton and using the short passing game as well.  So BB baited the Bills into pounding Thomas and the Bills offense was held in check.  Almost 30 years later we see BB do the same thing with the titans and it almost cost them the titans a game they should have won.

Watch tonight's Baltimore-Tennessee game.  I bet Tennessee comes out and tries to run henry a ton on first down, and I bet that goes nowhere and puts them in a ton of 2nd and 3rd and long.  Meanwhile Baltimore isn't going to do that early- they are going to run Lamar a lot, and throw with Lamar, and then mix in a *little* traditional runs.  Now the final rushing stats for ingram and the Baltimore backs may be respectable, but how many of those will come in the second half after the ravens get a big lead?

If Tennessee was smart, they would come out and do nothing but spread things out and throw.  Throw 14/15 plays to open the game.  Instead they are going to play right into the ravens hand and try to ground and pound, and it's going to turn out poorly for them.  On offense at least. 

What RB led the NFL in rushing? Is his team still in the playoffs today?  

I'll give you a hint: he also set a record with 377 yards rushing in 2 consecutive playoff games as the primary reason they beat NE and Baltimore.  THAT is what sets up play-action passing for a guy like Ryan Tannehill who hasn't had a very happy NFL journey in life before handing off to Henry.  In fact, it even set up a play-action TD pass from Henry.  While it's not very Taco friendly - there's teams in NE and Baltimore that "Remember the Titans."  

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Tacosman said:

1st and ten to open the game:  run for short game

2nd and long:  run for short game

So your extensive NFL background which consists of collecting football cards - you would have put everything on Kirk Cousins instad of the RB (Dalvin Cook) that carried that team? 

The main concerns I have about Stefanski is the team that employed him rarely trusted him enough for total empowerment.  I posted his background in Minnesota which showed how many years he worked as an Assistant QB Coach.  This year, they had to bring in Gary Kubiak to bail him out of the chaos that took place early on this season.  I'm having difficulty seeing how this equates to Stefanski being the leader of men for all 3 phases of the game in Cleveland. 

None of that matters if Dee Haslam thinks the guy is gorgeous! 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

So your extensive NFL background which consists of collecting football cards - you would have put everything on Kirk Cousins instad of the RB (Dalvin Cook) that carried that team? 

The main concerns I have about Stefanski is the team that employed him rarely trusted him enough for total empowerment.  I posted his background in Minnesota which showed how many years he worked as an Assistant QB Coach.  This year, they had to bring in Gary Kubiak to bail him out of the chaos that took place early on this season.  I'm having difficulty seeing how this equates to Stefanski being the leader of men for all 3 phases of the game in Cleveland. 

None of that matters if Dee Haslam thinks the guy is gorgeous! 

Dee and Jimmy could fuck up a wet dream without trying all that hard lol :)

The only thing I like about the Stefanski hire is Taco posting this thread less tham 24h before it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think he is saying that  in a one on one death match between those 2 in the game that happened today,   Saleh  put the sleeper hold on Stefanski.  Until the mid 4th quarter when the game was decided, the Vikes did not even have 100 total yards. 

You can interpret it anyway you like i'm just telling you what i have seen. Do you hire the guy that went 5 and 3 and had the team play as good as it has in a long time or do you hire a nobody.  Do you hire the guy that put the "sleeper" hold on or do you hire the guy that got put in the "sleeper" hold?

3 minutes ago, Richiswhere said:

You can interpret it anyway you like i'm just telling you what i have seen. Do you hire the guy that went 5 and 3 and had the team play as good as it has in a long time or do you hire a nobody.  Do you hire the guy that put the "sleeper" hold on or do you hire the guy that got put in the "sleeper" hold?

Yea, I don't think I follow you.   I would have thought that  you would have chosen the python that swallowed the deer , instead of hiring the deer. 

19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I just can't wrap my head around hiring a CO-offensive coordinator with one season experience as a head coach, right after the debacle of hiring an OC with little experience who completely bombed out. 

Maybe that isn't fair, Stefanski is Stefanski and Kitchens is Kitchens, but man, that's a ballsy move if Haslam does it. 

Nah it's more like if this coach flops, Jimmy  can fire DePodesta for screwing up.   

19 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Of course you're not, that would require far more than just looking at a handful of numbers for yourself as to how the data arrives there.   Like I said... DOGMA.  This is how sites like PFF use their god to determine that Corey Coleman is the best WR in the 2016 draft.  There is no room for reflection and additional input once a "conclusion" has been reached by their proprietary grading models.   

This is what scares the crap out of me Tia if we go overboard on analytics. The numbers say this guy is gonna be the greatest. 

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

All Inclusive?   As in resorts.....where it is all you can eat and drink all week? 

Yes, all inclusive.... that's what AI stands for... yes. 

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

We should simply use AI in every single decision that needs to be made.

Who is Al?

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Who is Al?

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al

Thanks, now that stupid song is stuck in there real deep like.  

36 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Thanks, now that stupid song is stuck in there real deep like.  

I can play the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game using that video:

I was in a movie with Paul Simon.....One Trick Pony

Paul Simon was in the Call me Al video with  Chevy Chase

Chevy Chase was in Caddyshack with Bill Murray

Bill Murray was in Ghostbusters with  Dan Ackroyd

Dan Ackroyd was in The Blues Brothers with  John Belushi

John Belushi was in Animal House with......Kevin Bacon 

6 moves...gets me there.

• Like 1

Just had to come back for a laugh.

The run heavy team that uses a ton of play action, rollouts, 13 personnel and plays hard nosed down- hill football is up early 17-7 on a KC squad that literally plays the exact opposite brand of ball.

More importantly, because of what Derrick Henry and the Titans Oline creates, you're watching the Chiefs load 8 and 9 man fronts and selling out to stop the run.   As I type, tackle eligible off of motion and a hard play fake.    EVERYONE thought Henry was getting the ball on 3rd and 1.        

Right now Parcells football is beating your precious Bill Walsh style. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Just had to come back for a laugh.

The run heavy team that uses a ton of play action, rollouts, 13 personnel and plays hard nosed down- hill football is up early 17-7 on a KC squad that literally plays the exact opposite brand of ball.

More importantly, because of what Derrick Henry and the Titans Oline creates, you're watching the Chiefs load 8 and 9 man fronts and selling out to stop the run.   As I type, tackle eligible off of motion and a hard play fake.    EVERYONE thought Henry was getting the ball on 3rd and 1.        

Right now Parcells football is beating your precious Bill Walsh style. 

How about now?  Chiefs 35-17

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

How about now?  Chiefs 35-17

No issue with the result.  My point is, there is more than one way to get it done.  And when you don't have a QB you can count on to dominate a game like Mahomes... which few, if any can, then using the running game essentially to facilitate closing out the game ONLY isn't really an option. 

Titans defense really let them down.  

28 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Kinda... while there aren't enough Mahommes to go around, KC has one. So when KC bottles up Henry enough to put the game on Tannehill's arm, while he was good, he simply wasn't good enough.

Doesn't diminish your point that there aren't enough dominant QBs around for every franchise to play to the KC model. The balanced attack approach is a viable alternative and, as it turns out, a necessary one for the bulk of the league.

33 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

and apparently Spags foot must have disappeared into several body's arsses just before halftime.. dumb flags but held the train to 69 yards at the half