THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the NFL Playoffs

Zombo

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I feel your pain, tia. 

I detected some animosity from LondonBrown when I stated I was worried he had done a "Brooks Was Here" after Sashi was fired. 

We people with big hearts are never truly appreciated. 

I'm just a river to my people.

51 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I am a fan of Lamar so I get the idea that I was being a homer, but the logic was still solid. I said if we had hired Roman than I would take him #1 and everyone went insane. I explained how the offense made Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor into decent QB and Lamar is a better version of those guys. 

Is he though?  Lamar has improved as a passer, but he was just that raw when drafted improvement was a given.

As you saw last night, his passing ability doesn't scare playoff defenses in the least. In fact, they invite it.   Will Lamar ever make it to that next level with his brain, eyes and arm?... Early results aren't promising unless their coaches are willing to put the most important position on the field in harms way with more designed rushes.  Next year will be a big tell for his career.

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm just a river to my people.

So, cry me one then!

Is he though?  Lamar has improved as a passer, but he was just that raw when drafted improvement was a given.

As you saw last night, his passing ability doesn't scare playoff defenses in the least. In fact, they invite it.   Will Lamar ever make it to that next level with his brain, eyes and arm?... Early results aren't promising unless their coaches are willing to put the most important position on the field in harms way with more designed rushes.  Next year will be a big tell for his career.

Sure, our new bright shiny HC will have the answers to solve they mystery of checking Lamar.

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Gosh, I hope not.  Then what would be the point of having a DC?

Good question.    And:  Good question:     As important as it is to know who the HC will be (and let's assume he will also serve as play caller....perhaps a bad move).....it is almost as important to know who he/they ("the committee").  hire as DC.

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm just a river to my people.   That's good. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe Tennessee is better than many people gave them credit for particularly with Vrabel. 

Their defense just came up with a scheme to contain Jackson in the first half -plus-. he was not on target and his receivers did drop a few balls.

Most of all Baltimore thought they were the best team in the AFC,  Tennessee didn't.     ;)

Just now, mjp28 said:

Maybe Tennessee is better than many people gave them credit for particularly with Vrabel. 

Their defense just came up with a scheme to contain Jackson in the first half -plus-. he was not on target and his receivers did drop a few balls.

Most of all Baltimore thought they were the best team in the AFC,  Tennessee didn't.     ;)

Tennessee is a pretty fantastic team.   A throwback in a sense that they aren't dynamic, but what they do is effective as hell and they do it as well as anyone.

Their defense is talented from front to back and it showed last night.

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I wish we were hiring Mike Vrabel.  That chance got fucked up when they decided to bring back Hue.  

Dumber and dummber

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, mjp28 said:

It's PICKEM time again last Saturday NFL game of the year......and why am I in the mood for an old movie? Splendor in the grass?

Hopefully I won't pull an 0-fer again this week.

Bold = Winning Team (Spread) TOTAL POINTS 0
@San Francisco X vs   Minnesota 6.5 7.0 7.0 7.0 Sat 01/11 04:35 PM -
@Baltimore   vs X Tennessee 9.5 9.0 9.5 9.5 Sat 01/11 08:15 PM -
@Kansas City   vs X Houston 9.5 9.5 10.0 10.0 Sun 01/12 03:05 PM -
@Green Bay X vs   Seattle 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 Sun 01/12 06:40 PM -

GO BROWNS, naturally.  Give us a nice new coach.

Let's see:

SF   ✓

TEN.   ✓

Nice new coach.   ✓

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What is your issue with the Seahawks, pray tell? 

Butt ugly day glow uniforms. Not a Russell Wilson or Pete Carroll fan either. They have their Super Bowl win, time for someone else. 

I know I got ridiculed for saying Henry was anywhere near as good as Chubb....well....I'm thinking I was right. Have you watched this guy this postseason? He is a beast and did end up as the NFL leading rusher as well, in the regular season, and postseason. 250 lbs with 4.4 speed? Get out of town. As long as TN is in a situation where they can keep giving him the rock, they can beat anyone. The Ravens were supposedly unbeatable. Not so much. 

Vrable is also the real deal. Stud. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Tennessee is a pretty fantastic team.   A throwback in a sense that they aren't dynamic, but what they do is effective as hell and they do it as well as anyone.

Their defense is talented from front to back and it showed last night.

Vrabel's start in TN has been nothing short of great, but kudos also have to go to the GM, Jon Robinson, for assembling that talent including Vrabel and Tannehill, who no one saw being reborn in Nashville.

he's good. He doesn't play for the Browns. Henry also has a huge advantage making him your "monster".

ever hear of the offensive linemen? See, they BLOCK for running backs.

Even Jim Brown credited his offensive linemen. Go look it up. The Titans have an excellent offensive line.

https://www.titansonline.com/team/depth-chart

the Browns have a veteran who wasn't drafted at all at RT. and a sixth round pick at ROG. and a high first round pick in Robinson who has had weight problems, injury problems, and still has penalty problems...at left tackle. Still, Chubb was the leading rusher til the last game, I think it was.

at left tackle:

" PRO: With the 11th overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Titans selected former Michigan left tackle Taylor Lewan (pronounced leh-WAHN). The 6-foot-7-inch, 309-pound lineman is considered one of the top tackles in the NFL, evidenced by his Pro Bowl berths following the 2016, 2017 and 2018 campaigns. Lewan signed a long-term extension with the club during the 2018 training camp and will be anchor for the offensive front for years to come. An outgoing personality off the field, he is tenacious and aggressive on it. At Michigan, he was a four-year starter, anchoring the line at left tackle for 48 career starts. Lewan became the first offensive tackle selected by the Titans/Oilers in the first round since tackle Brad Hopkins (13th overall) in 1993. "

at left guard, a former 2nd round pick by the Rams:

" PRO: The Titans signed Rodger Saffold early in the 2019 free agency period to bring veteran leadership and experience to the interior of the offensive front. The 6-foot-5-inch, 325-pounder was originally selected by the St. Louis Rams in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. The Indiana University product is a versatile player, having started contests at both guard and both tackle spots in his NFL career.

at center - a fourth round player

PRO: The Titans signed Ben Jones early in the 2016 free agency period to bring veteran leadership and experience to the center position and he provided just that in his three campaigns with the club. The 6-foot-3-inch, 308-pounder was originally selected by the Houston Texans in the fourth round (99th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. The University of Georgia product is a versatile player, having started contests at center and both guard spots in his first four seasons with the Texans.

at right guard:

PRO: The Titans selected Nate Davis in the third round (82nd overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-3-inch, 316-pounder brings quick feet and physicality to the trenches of the offensive line. The Ashburn, Va., native appeared in 41 contests with 37 starts at both guard and tackle over four seasons for the Charlotte 49ers.

at right tackle:

PRO: With the eighth overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Titans selected former Michigan State tackle Jack Conklin. The 6-foot-6-inch, 308-pounder possesses the versatility and physical prowess to play multiple positions on the offensive line, but during his first three NFL seasons started every game he played at right tackle. He was the first draft pick by general manager Jon Robinson who vowed to acquire “tough, physical, smart and accountable” players. Conklin made an immediate impact in his first season with the Titans by starting all 16 games and being named first-team All-Pro at right tackle. He became the first Michigan State offensive lineman to be selected in the first round since 1989 (Tony Mandarich, No. 2 overall by Green Bay) and also the highest drafted Spartan since wide receiver Charles Rogers (No. 2) in 2003.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

3 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I am a fan of Lamar so I get the idea that I was being a homer, but the logic was still solid. I said if we had hired Roman than I would take him #1 and everyone went insane. I explained how the offense made Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor into decent QB and Lamar is a better version of those guys. 

When Jackson was drafted, everyone underestimated his ability- and durability- as a running back.  Yeah- it's impressive. And if Lamar ditched the QB position barring injury he probably could have a HOF career as a running back. His ability to make guys whiff in the open field is reminiscent of Barry Sanders. I haven't forgotten teams wanted him to work out as a wr at the combine. I don't think they ever clocked him in a 40, but he's at least 4.4 fast. 

The Ravens offense works because in many respects they're running a Wild-cat, who's got the ball, Lamar or Ingram?  Easy-peasy to suck defenders in on play action resulting in wide open receivers primarily because of Jackson's running ability. 

4.5 speed to be precise... ran 4.54 at the Combine.

And I still see a straight line runner... what TN did (as cal pointed out) is add OL until they had a unit that can open up straight lanes.

Monster? Compared to DBs sure... you gotta bottle him up at the LOS.

Choice between he and Chubb? I take Chubb.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

With Fuller in the line up they've got a legit chance for this upset.

PFF just trotted out a new metric called PFF Plus/Minus. Looks at difference a given player makes in unit performance... Fuller was one example cited.

Deshaun Watson's dropback splits with Will Fuller on/off the field in 2019:

On: 337 plays, 78.2 EPA
Off: 247 plays, -4.3 EPA

Apparently Fuller even impacts Special Teams... :)

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Tennessee vs Houston, AFC Championship Game? 

TN @ HOU... my season ticket holding in-laws will love it. Should cover their losses selling their WC game tix... and then some.