THE BROWNS BOARD

So, who would you pick as the next HC ?

tinythinker

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I'm more interested in what DC, QB Coach and OC will be hired.   Probably the three most crucial hires.  

Agreed. That's why waiting longer is worrisome.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm... latest from NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001095822/article/browns-request-interview-with-colts-ed-dodds-for-gm

If that's the case, would seem to lean towards Saleh.... McDaniels would probably want one of his New England pals as GM.   

IIRC, if the decision has been made, and the new coach's team is still involved in the playoffs, it can't be announced until after said team is eliminated. The negative about Saleh- assuming the 49ers make the Super Bowl, is we're going to get last choice on assistant coaches. And we know how that played out when the Browns hired Mike Pettine.  :(  

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Ideally under our current circumstances?  I'd be cool with Stef, Kubiak as the OC/Asst Hc and Schwartz or Phillips as DC.

edit: And for the many here that want a HC who is a "leader of men"... I would have a hard time playing for McDaniels and taking him seriously as that.

Your opinion is superfluous.    I suspect that Six Super Bowl rings gives the guy a lot of credibility as a leader with players.....as long as he gets rid of the visor.  That makes him look non - serious, like a kid. 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I suspect that Six Super Bowl rings gives the guy a lot of credibility as a leader with players.... 

For about 5 minutes.   Then when he has control of his own team and, god forbid - things go sideways, those rings really won't mean jack shit then, do they?   Credibility as a play caller and schematic mind? Sure.   But on the field, on the sidelines, in the locker room, in OTA's, mini camp, etc etc where you forge your teams identity and players know they trust your vision, leadership, wisdom and guidance?   Completely different story.

Those 3 rings sure didn't help him from losing control of the Denver locker room, throwing some of his players under the bus and making some of the most obviously questionable personnel choices this side of Mike Holmgren.  

edit:  That's not even to mention what went down with Indy.   That was bush league shit. 

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

For about 5 minutes.   Then when he has control of his own team and, god forbid - things go sideways, those rings really won't mean jack shit then, do they?   Credibility as a play caller and schematic mind? Sure.   But on the field, on the sidelines, in the locker room, in OTA's, mini camp, etc etc where you forge your teams identity and players know they trust your vision, leadership, wisdom and guidance?   Completely different story.

Those 3 rings sure didn't help him from losing control of the Denver locker room, throwing some of his players under the bus and making some of the most obviously questionable personnel choices this side of Mike Holmgren.  

True, but should the Browns hire McDaniels, I doubt he's going to get final say on players.  

27 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Ideally under our current circumstances?  I'd be cool with Stef, Kubiak as the OC/Asst Hc and Schwartz or Phillips as DC.

edit: And for the many here that want a HC who is a "leader of men"... I would have a hard time playing for McDaniels and taking him seriously as that.

Why would Schwartz take a lateral move to Coordinate a defense in Cleveland?   I used to agree with your thought about McDaniel; but it looked like he finally reached puberty a year or 2 after his Denver experience.  

I'm actually more worried about Stefanski's ability to be THE "leader of Men" here. Kubiak already had to bail Stefanski out earlier this year when various important men on the Vikings offense were protesting his leadership of the passing game.

As long as Stefanski has been with the Vikings, they've seemed reluctant to even give him the QB Coach Title without making him share it with another coach as I'll cut and paste:

Year Position

2006 Minnesota Vikings Assistant to the Head Coach

2007 Minnesota Vikings Assistant to the Head Coach

2008 Minnesota Vikings Assistant to the Head Coach

2009 Minnesota Vikings Assistant Quarterbacks Coach / Offensive Quality Control Coach

2010 Minnesota Vikings Assistant Quarterbacks Coach

2011 Minnesota Vikings Assistant Quarterbacks Coach

2012 Minnesota Vikings Assistant Quarterbacks Coach

2013 Minnesota Vikings Assistant Quarterbacks Coach

2014 Minnesota Vikings Tight Ends Coach

2015 Minnesota Vikings Tight Ends Coach

2016 Minnesota Vikings Running Backs Coach

2017 Minnesota Vikings Quarterbacks Coach

2018 Minnesota Vikings Quarterbacks Coach

2019 Minnesota Vikings Offensive Coordinator - a year the Kubiak intervention was very necessary

Edited by Flugel

15 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

edit:  That's not even to mention what went down with Indy.   That was bush league shit. 

Well, you are just speculating....making an ass of yourself by assuming.  Essentially....anything McD did  with what you describe up there BB did before him and better/worse. 

BB had some SB rings as DC of the NYG.   BB clearly threw Bernie under the bus...and the whole team by cutting him and putting in Todd Phucking Phicox. There has been no worse personell choice in Browns history than that. Hell, at least Tim Tebow won a playoff game for McD.   And he BB lost  the locker room basically 2 years running.    And the Indy thing with McD:   Remember  BBs one day stint as HC of the NYJ.....that was some even bigger bush league shit. 

So, obviously, per the BB example, the things you gripe about don't mean shit, if he can come in here and win.   And, of course, it will help if he has a great QB. (as it would help any coach who ever donned a headset)

43 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

My thoughts exactly on McDaniels.

Im kind of leaning toward Saleh or Stefanski.

And i want Phillips as the DC.

31 minutes ago, hoorta said:

True, but should the Browns hire McDaniels, I doubt he's going to get final say on players.  

Very little evidence and history to back this up.  Especially if McD is "picking" the GM.   He had say in Denver, BB has the say the NE.  Whom do you think he molds himself after?

33 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Why would Schwartz take a lateral move to Coordinate a defense in Cleveland?  

Contract expires with Philly.  May mutually be looking for a new change in scenery.  

24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, you are just speculating....making an ass of yourself by assuming.  Essentially....anything McD did  with what you describe up there BB did before him and better/worse. 

BB had some SB rings as DC of the NYG.   BB clearly threw Bernie under the bus...and the whole team by cutting him and putting in Todd Phucking Phicox. There has been no worse personell choice in Browns history than that. Hell, at least Tim Tebow won a playoff game for McD.   And he BB lost  the locker room basically 2 years running.    And the Indy thing with McD:   Remember  BBs one day stint as HC of the NYJ.....that was some even bigger bush league shit. 

So, obviously, per the BB example, the things you gripe about don't mean shit, if he can come in here and win.   And, of course, it will help if he has a great QB. (as it would help any coach who ever donned a headset)

First off...  STHEEFU.   That's all most of what we do - speculation.  But I'm not making an ass of myself as history has shown, that is exactly what happened in Denver.  Accept it or keep your head up your ass.  At least there you can't see the screen to type.  

BB has nothing to do with this conversation.   When you want to converse like an adult, get at me.     BB isn't the "leader" in that locker room - that would be Brady.  Which is exactly why that relationship works the way it does.   Tom is the fiery leader for his man, BB is the mind. 

28 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

My thoughts exactly on McDaniels.

Im kind of leaning toward Saleh or Stefanski.

And i want Phillips as the DC.

Saleh is another interesting name.  I wonder who he would bring from SF?  I would love a Shanny type mind to help craft this offense.  Between my calls for more 12 personnel, under center work and using the sprint outs, waggles, boots...     Would be a great 

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Very little evidence and history to back this up.  Especially if McD is "picking" the GM.   He had say in Denver, BB has the say the NE.  Whom do you think he molds himself after?

Contract expires with Philly.  May mutually be looking for a new change in scenery.  

First off...  STHEEFU.   That's all most of what we do - speculation.  But I'm not making an ass of myself as history has shown, that is exactly what happened in Denver.  Accept it or keep your head up your ass.  At least there you can't see the screen to type.  

Of course you assumed.  You said this:   But on the field, on the sidelines, in the locker room, in OTA's, mini camp, etc etc where you forge your teams identity and players know they trust your vision, leadership, wisdom and guidance?   Completely different story.

If that is not pure assumption on your part that McD would not bring vision, leadership, wisdom, guidance to this team...then what the fuck was it?  

BB has nothing to do with this conversation.   When you want to converse like an adult, get at me.     BB isn't the "leader" in that locker room - that would be Brady.  Which is exactly why that relationship works the way it does.   Tom is the fiery leader for his man, BB is the mind. 

Actually....you make my case better than I did.  BB is in this conversation because: A.  McD. is a BB protoge, and what he learned as a football coach came much from him.   B. Some of what McD has gone through perfectly parallels some of what BB went through...as I detailed, so they each have similar experiences   and C. The BB/Brady relationship as you describe is essentially, precisely what we would want here with the McD./Baker relationship. Another perfect parallel.  We would want McD to be the mind and Baker to be the fiery leader. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I'm not saying McD wouldn't bring his "vision" to this team.   Is that something you can get grown men to buy into is a different story.  He has a history of failure at that part along with personnel evaluation.   NOT an ideal combination.

And until Baker displays some selfless type leadership when under severe duress, I remain skeptical.   Our QB did not acquit himself well this past season in that category.

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm not saying McD wouldn't bring his "vision" to this team.   Is that something you can get grown men to buy into is a different story.  He has a history of failure at that part along with personnel evaluation.   NOT an ideal combination.

A history of failure at what?  He had 1.5 seasons at Denver.   Are you talking about his drafting?  First question:  Was he even the one doing the drafting...or was there a GM there?   If he was the one,  truly I don't  think he did that badly.....even if you are talking about  Tebow (who did, after all win a playoff game for John Fox..who chose to play him).  Here are the draft choices made the 2 years he was with Denver:

Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2010 1 Demaryius Thomas 22 WR 2019 0 4 8 69 143 0 1 0 0 0 3 6 0 724 9763 63     Georgia Tech
2010 1 Tim Tebow 25 QB 2012 0 0 1 12 35 173 361 2422 17 9 197 989 12 0 0 0     Florida
2010 2 Zane Beadles 45 G 2018 0 1 7 51 137                 0 0 0     Utah
2010 3 J.D. Walton 80 C 2015 0 0 3 23 56                           Baylor
2010 3 Eric Decker 87 WR 2017 0 0 6 46 111 0 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 439 5816 53     Minnesota
2010 5 Perrish Cox 137 DB 2016 0 0 4 19 81                       10   Oklahoma St.
2010 6 Eric Olsen 183 C 2014 0 0 0 3 23                           Notre Dame
2010 7 Syd'Quan Thompson 225 DB 2010 0 0 0 1 13                       2   California
2010 7 Jammie Kirlew 232 DE 2011 0 0 0 0 1                           Indiana
Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2009 1 Knowshon Moreno 12 RB 2014 0 0 3 33 63           876 3616 27 158 1409 9     Georgia
2009 1 Robert Ayers 18 DE 2017 0 0 5 27 120                         34.5 Tennessee
2009 2 Alphonso Smith 37 DB 2012 0 0 1 8 42                       8   Wake Forest
2009 2 Darcel McBath 48 DB 2012 0 0 0 3 37                       2   Texas Tech
2009 2 Richard Quinn 64 TE 2012 0 0 0 0 30                 1 9 0     North Carolina
2009 4 David Bruton 114 DB 2016 0 0 0 10 108           2 48 0       3 2.0 Notre Dame
2009 4 Seth Olsen 132 G 2012 0 0 0 3 14                           Iowa
2009 5 Kenny McKinley 141 WR 2009 0 0 0 0 8                           South Carolina
2009 6 Tom Brandstater 174 QB 2011 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 0 0                 Fresno St.
2009 7 Blake Schlueter 225 C   0 0 0

Some of these were main cogs in that teams  5 year playoff run subsequent to his time there.

And until Baker displays some selfless type leadership when under severe duress, I remain skeptical.   Our QB did not acquit himself well this past season in that category.

But he did the prior season, so we know that with the right direction he can show that. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Saleh is another interesting name.  I wonder who he would bring from SF?  I would love a Shanny type mind to help craft this offense.  Between my calls for more 12 personnel, under center work and using the sprint outs, waggles, boots...     Would be a great 

Mike LaFleur...Matt’s brother. He would be an interesting add offensively.  Passing coordinator Niners. Was on Cleveland staff in 2014.   
The Shanny offensive system and any disciples to it would be great. They block so dang well and call some great play action stuff 

Saleh was with the Hawks and Jags both at great points in the franchise.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Mike LaFleur...Matt’s brother. He would be an interesting add offensively.  Passing coordinator Niners. Was on Cleveland staff in 2014.   
The Shanny offensive system and any disciples to it would be great. They block so dang well and call some great play action stuff 

Interesting.  Might have to change my choice of HC now.

Saleh really has this cover 3 running a bit more different than what the Hawks did...  at least, how they handle zone replacement at times.     Right now we have some quality DB's on the perimeter to run a great deal of the C3, C1 and most other single high shells/rolls.      A complete bonus to bring along the Shanny tree back to Cleveland.

A thinking I have on McDaniels is that he won't be able to handle very well the strong egos on this team.  

I'm surprised that Jimmy could contain himself enough to let McDaniels go home. 

Saleh's grown on me, looks like a leader of men and I read he's very detail oriented and easily adapts to technology. I expect he wouldn't oppose analytics which maybe another reason why he's a finalist. Defensive coach but some defensive coaches have spearheaded some of the greatest offensive teams like Tony Dungy in Indy and Rivera had fairly good offenses when in Carolina.

Edit: Hawkins on the ThomaHawk podcast also stated he's not an egomaniac/a**hole which also fits into Jimmy's alignment philosophy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

this post might have some legs..am seeing it elsewhere & the rumor is Berry might be the rooney gm fit..Than Dobbs (connected to Saleh) would be the GM hired from Indy..Dobbs had loads to do with the scouting getting the Colts OL right..stay tuned, and looks like a good connection backer80 

https://49erswebzone.com/articles/133223-robert-saleh-49ers-mcdaniel-lafleur-should-browns-coach/