THE BROWNS BOARD

So, who would you pick as the next HC ?

tinythinker

3 hours ago, tinythinker said:

So far (at 3:35 p.m. on 12/22/2019), the top choices are:

1. Ron Rivera (10 votes)

2. Freddie Kitchens (8 votes)

3. "Other" (3 votes)

4. Tie between Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, and Kevin Stefanski (2 votes)

5. Tie between Dan Campbell, Marvin Lewis, Greg Roman, and Lincoln RileyĀ  (1 vote)

Ā 

Or to put it another way:

Votes to dump Freddie: 23

Votes to keep Freddie: 8

NaĀ obviously FreddieĀ has created 8 different accounts. No Browns fan can be this dumbĀ šŸ™„

54 minutes ago, Richiswhere said:

NaĀ obviously FreddieĀ has created 8 different accounts. No Browns fan can be this dumbĀ šŸ™„

Per ESPN

Describe the game in two words:Ā So emblematic. Clock mismanagement, questionable decision-making, missed opportunities and sideline shouting all defined Sundayā€™s game, as they have this entire Browns season.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE THE COACH WE WANT?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Per ESPN

Describe the game in two words:Ā So emblematic. Clock mismanagement, questionable decision-making, missed opportunities and sideline shouting all defined Sundayā€™s game, as they have this entire Browns season.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE THE COACH WE WANT?

Truthfully.. and unfortunatly.....NO. Ā  Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

The initial interviews are over (or so we believe).

Who would you pick?Ā  -Ā  You're not married to your choice.Ā  None of us interviewed anybody so we don't 'really know' the candidates.Ā  Your choice could get hired and suck....and you'd be allowed to say he sucks.Ā  :)Ā Ā 

The hire could happen very soon, it could be after the weekend, or it could be after the last candidate exits the playoffs.

McDaniels, Stefanski, Saleh, Bieniemy, Roman, Schwartz, Daboll

----------------

I'm picking Roman.Ā  I like how he adapted his side of the ball to match the talent that he currently has.Ā  I wouldn't mind having a guy overseeing the whole team with that kind of mind's eye.

• Thanks 1

I guess I'd go with McDaniels.Ā 

He's got tons of experience and has been a head coach. I think he could put together a good coaching staff.Ā 

I'm not head over heels about him, but everyone else has bigger questions surrounding them. Stefanski and Saleh are relatively green at being coordinators, Bieniemy is an OC who doesn't call players, Roman seems to really succeed with running QBs, Schwartz does have HC experience, but his Lions teams were undisciplined, young teams that often shot themselves in the foot. (Sound familiar?). Daboll feels like the human version of a consolation prize.Ā 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Stefanski and Saleh are relatively green at being coordinators, Bieniemy is an OC who doesn't call players, Roman seems to really succeed with running QBs, Schwartz does have HC experience, but his Lions teams were undisciplined, young teams that often shot themselves in the foot. (Sound familiar?). Daboll feels like the human version of a consolation prize.Ā 

I agree with your assessment of the candidates.Ā 

21 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'm betting on

....but who would YOU pick?Ā  Ā Based on what little we know.

---------

And I fully understand a McDaniels pick.Ā  He's seen how a dynasty is done!

I'm going to wait until I see the white smoke come out of the chimney when they actually pick a new coach and go from there.

I don't think that they are going to consult with us before making a decision.Ā Ā :mellow:

Ā 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'm going to wait until I see the white smoke come out of the chimney when they actually pick a new coach and go from there.

I don't think that they are going to consult with us before making a decision.Ā Ā :mellow:

Ā 

Cop out!

We have another use for your time: Ā  Pope watch.Ā 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

McDaniels, Stefanski, Saleh, Bieniemy, Roman, Schwartz, Daboll

I liked Saleh, but since only McD and Stef appear to be in the running... I think I go Stef.

He's the less seasoned of the two, but...

In the end I just can't get passed McD's face plant in Denver.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Another thing that bothers me about McD...

I can't recall seeing him interact with anyone on the Pat's sideline other than Tom or Bill.

That plus the above mentioned Denver stint added to the decommit from his last HC job offer.

I made it clear I would take only the Stef/Kubiak duo if we can get them both together. It's ideal.

EDIT: One of my key questions in the interview with Stef is who he planned to bring to his coaching staff and had he gotten any indications that any would want the job he had in mind for them. I would have been asking the same question to all serious contenders for the Browns HC.

It will be Kevin Stefanski....imo, this came down toĀ the yearsĀ & money that McDaniels mayĀ wantĀ to rebuild this teamĀ his way..And am not aĀ college coach either? They knew Stefanski's number from last season's interview..in the end, McDaniel's folded up his tentĀ šŸ•ļøĀ & went home overĀ dollars...Ā I like Kevin, he's a smart guy that just took his whining receiving core to "I guess it ain't all about me"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I guess I'd go with McDaniels.Ā 

He's got tons of experience and has been a head coach. I think he could put together a good coaching staff.Ā 

I'm not head over heels about him, but everyone else has bigger questions surrounding them. Stefanski and Saleh are relatively green at being coordinators, Bieniemy is an OC who doesn't call players, Roman seems to really succeed with running QBs, Schwartz does have HC experience, but his Lions teams were undisciplined, young teams that often shot themselves in the foot. (Sound familiar?). Daboll feels like the human version of a consolation prize.Ā 

This is the most spot assessment of the entire situation. When put in these terms, haven't the Browns hired all of these guys in the past? They hired young coordinators, they have hired guys with titles but little real decision power and they have hired guys that built short term schemes to catch lightning in a bottle.Ā 

I would have to go with McDaniels.

My greatest concern is his fealty to New England. Not that he wouldn't be committed to winning, but that, if in the event of a vacancy, he would head back. Exhibit A: the way he strung out the Colts. I think he got home sick. Reich has two McDaniels hires on his staff and McDaniels never even set foot in the building.Ā 

I don't care about his time in Denver. People point out Belichick's time in Cleveland as less than stellar, though rarely do they mention the 1994 team that went 11-5. Belichick, like McDaniels, also had his head fake moment with the Jets.

I like the rest of you, want someone that wants to be part of the Cleveland Browns, not someone that wants to coach until Belichick retires and gets called back to Kraftland to get the band back together.Ā 

• Upvote 2

1. Gary Kubiak- Proven head coach whose offense should fit nicely with what we do well.

2. Jim Schwartz- Has head coaching experience. One of the best defensive minds in the game. Take no shit attitude that will get some of these divas in check

3. Greg Roman- Not ideal fit for our offense but could work. Will turn the Ravens into a mediocre team and may ruin Lamars career. Look back when people asked me if I would take Lamar #1.

4. Jay Gruden- Head coaching experience and if were being honest he got a raw deal.Ā  He never had much talent to work with. When he was an O.C. with talent he put together a really impressive offense.

5. Pete Carmichael Jr- Longtime Saints O.C. has been apart of the most explosive offenses. He knows how to coach undersized QBs. Have to wonder why he hasn't recieved a head coaching job.

Ā 

I would stay far away from McDaniels. His personality will not mix well with these divas we have. That stunt he pulled with Indy is unforgivable.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

1. Gary Kubiak- Proven head coach whose offense should fit nicely with what we do well.

2. Jim Schwartz- Has head coaching experience. One of the best defensive minds in the game. Take no shit attitude that will get some of these divas in check

3. Greg Roman- Not ideal fit for our offense but could work. Will turn the Ravens into a mediocre team and may ruin Lamars career. Look back when people asked me if I would take Lamar #1.

4. Jay Gruden- Head coaching experience and if were being honest he got a raw deal.Ā  He never had much talent to work with. When he was an O.C. with talent he put together a really impressive offense.

5. Pete Carmichael Jr- Longtime Saints O.C. has been apart of the most explosive offenses. He knows how to coach undersized QBs. Have to wonder why he hasn't recieved a head coaching job.

Ā 

I would stay far away from McDaniels. His personality will not mix well with these divas we have. That stunt he pulled with Indy is unforgivable.Ā 

I would have really liked Kubiak to be considered.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

It will be Kevin Stefanski....imo, this came down toĀ the yearsĀ & money that McDaniels mayĀ wantĀ to rebuild this teamĀ his way..And am not aĀ college coach either? They knew Stefanski's number from last season's interview..in the end, McDaniel's folded up his tentĀ šŸ•ļøĀ & went home overĀ dollars...Ā I like Kevin, he's a smart guy that just took his whining receiving core to "I guess it ain't all about me"

Worthy of note Gumbs; but are we giving Gary Kubiak enough credit for the turn around with the offense/passing game that started off in chaos this year?Ā Ā  I don't know enough about the Stefanski but he was in charge of just 1 phase of the game in Minnesota.Ā  When I watched the Vikings beat New Orleans last week, the major reason they won the gridiron chess match came from their defensive line that devoured a very talented OL from New Orleans.Ā 

All that said, I think winning the turnover differential should also credit the offense (and Stefanski) for the better fundamental of securing the football.Ā  And when you have a back like Cook (like Flugel's FF team Drink Beer had) - it sure opens up opportunities for ideal play-action fakes from QB that Gary Kubiak is 2nd to none at utilizing.Ā  If Stefanski can retain some of the lessons learned via Kubiak and use them the same way elsewhere it would be nice. That said, once upon a time we KEPT Lindy Infante's offense after he departed to GB - and the new OC without the same detailed understanding of the offense had zero clue how to run it and the personnel to look to in various situations (ie; blue collar types like RB Herman Fontenot and WR Brian Brennan combined for 102 receptions almost exclusively on 3rd downs in 86)...

Stefanski is suddenly a popular choice; so I'm just trying to understand how he'll handle the divas in our WR Corps when they haven't really kept them all in tact in Minnesota.Ā  They even had a tantrum or 2 from Diggs on the sideline last week; but their defense dominated and swarmed Brees and company so much - it didn't matter.Ā  We don't have THAT defense or anything close to it.

I didn't think I'd ever believe Josh McDaniel would be a reliable choice after what he did to Indy until I learned Cleveland was his dream job.Ā  Looking at our LB, Safety and DL positions as well as our OT and TE positions here - there's a lot of makeover necessary.Ā  For those that think Denver was the tell-all when McDaniel was reaching puberty - Bill Belichick's 1st season in Cleveland was 6-10 in 91, 7-9 in 92, 7-9 in 93 even with coaches like Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz on the staff. Then he backed out of the Jets HC position before accepting a position with the Patriots that had played in a recent SB and frequented playoffs prior.Ā  In essence, it was his first time he joined an ideal nucleus capable of rewarding all his unique strengths.Ā  While we need the changes I spoke of - there's also a good nucleus of guys to build around like (Chubb, Hunt, Landry, Bitonio, Teller, Tretter).Ā  Maybe we'll even see why Njoku is a 1st round TE.Ā  I've liked how NE always utilized all the varying skills of their RBs in the game plans with the perfect situations.Ā 

The biggest changes and improvements we need here are the basic fundamentals and mechanics missing on offense and defense that usually stem from a lack of repetition in practice leading to penalties and turnovers while hurting our time of possession battles.Ā  For those of us sick of watching Freddie trying to just wing it during goal to goal situations without practicing situational football - McDaniel is the exact opposite.Ā 

My second choice is Schwartz.Ā Ā  Once upon a time Detroilet was 0-16 before Schwartz had them playing SF's SB bound team in the playoffs within a couple years or so.

Edited by Flugel
typos
  • Upvote 1

Well said FlugĀ šŸ‘Ā and who was that last diva WR that won* a SB? ________ Steve Smith? Randy Moss? Micheal Irvin? I'd prefer the list of diva DB's covering these WR diva's (Sanders/Sherman ect. ect.).. Coaches sign up expecting to get fired! Diva WR's get paid first, than they get fired to do TV shows..

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I liked Saleh, but since only McD and Stef appear to be in the running... I think I go Stef.

He's the less seasoned of the two, but...

In the end I just can't get passed McD's face plant in Denver.

Some people could have said the same thing about BB in Cleveland.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Another thing that bothers me about McD...

I can't recall seeing him interact with anyone on the Pat's sideline other than Tom or Bill.

Well, those are the stars that the TV cameras focus on, andĀ Ā likely the two people he would spend his time interacting with. He was theOC/play caller, and the QB is after all the guy that relatesĀ  Ā the plays called to the rest of the team.Ā  The QB is the conduit from the OC to the offense....so he should be spending most of his time talking to those 2.Ā  Also, I doubt they had a camera on him the whole time.Ā  When he was interacting with others, they likely didn't feel the need to put him on camera.