THE BROWNS BOARD

So, who would you pick as the next HC ?

tinythinker

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Whatever this was supposed to be wasn't working. 

Sorry, it appears to be working from my perspective.  It's Brady yelling at McDaniels.   It's on this page:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/03/tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-yelling-video-patriots-bills

3 hours ago, MDDawg said:

Saleh's grown on me, looks like a leader of men and I read he's very detail oriented and easily adapts to technology. I expect he wouldn't oppose analytics which maybe another reason why he's a finalist. Defensive coach but some defensive coaches have spearheaded some of the greatest offensive teams like Tony Dungy in Indy and Rivera had fairly good offenses when in Carolina.

Edit: Hawkins on the ThomaHawk podcast also stated he's not an egomaniac/a**hole which also fits into Jimmy's alignment philosophy.

Seems a defensive minded coach just sent those Ratbirds into hibernation...   :)  

FWIW, I can't remember the last time I've been so happy that another team lost....  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

Sorry, it appears to be working from my perspective.  It's Brady yelling at McDaniels.   It's on this page:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/03/tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-yelling-video-patriots-bills

But that is just what we want.....some fire between a coach and his player.   It seems to me that the Brady/McDaniel combo has worked pretty darn good over the years....and a little debate between them certainly is not indicative of an inability to "handle"  a big ego.   They handled each others egos together to the tune of Yay many Super Bowl rings. 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Dobbs had loads to do with the scouting getting the Colts OL right..

Yup... including a certain UFA OT that would help us considerably.

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm not saying McD wouldn't bring his "vision" to this team.   Is that something you can get grown men to buy into is a different story.  He has a history of failure at that part along with personnel evaluation.   NOT an ideal combination.

And until Baker displays some selfless type leadership when under severe duress, I remain skeptical.   Our QB did not acquit himself well this past season in that category.

Tia, I like some of the points you've made.  That said, what makes you so sure there were grown men to coach in Denver at the time?  He didn't get hired in Denver because they were playing like grown men.  He got hired because they had a bunch of guys that couldn't win a pillow fight in a sorority house.

You are correct that he wasn't ready for life outside of Brady and BB at the time. I was one of his biggest critics after that.  That said, this isn't just 2 weeks later. I LIKE how he's a very important part of NE getting a lot of productivity out of the situational guys they've relied on in recent years.  While we know how hands-on BB is - he's also very demanding of his Assistant Coaches especially his Coordinators.  I know many people think their WR Corps disappointed them and they're right to an extent.  However, it isn't all that different than it's ever been. Okay, so they looked to Danny Amendola to team up with Edelman instead of the guys they chose this year. IMO the change they never overcame was the loss of Gronk for all 16 games and the post season (as opposed to losing him for games to nagging injuries in year's past).  He was their X-factor.  In saying all this, how terrible is a 12-4 record?   Must be nice to be able to complain about 12-4 football eh?

You made a comment somewhere that you think Stefanski is a better leader of men but all evidence I'm seeing shows his employer assigned him a baby sitter as recently as Gary Kubiak for the 2019 season.

22 minutes ago, Flugel said:

That said, what makes you so sure there were grown men to coach in Denver at the time?  He didn't get hired in Denver because they were playing like grown men.  He got hired because they had a bunch of guys that couldn't win a pillow fight in a sorority house

OMG. LOL. Now I can go make some cowboy coffee....

Well, given a choice between McDaniels or Daboll....

I'd pick Kris Richard as my next head coach. I don't get why he didn't get an interview with the Browns. Did with the Giants...

at least, hope he ends up with the Browns as an assistant coach.

da2a8b51-3d26-4d03-81e0-11d36379f5e0.jpe

Robert Saleh from the 49ers is my guess to be the next HC. Ed Dobbs from the Colts to be next GM . If Josh McDaniels was going to be the HC he probably would have been given the job after his interview. Saleh seems to carry a hard nose attitude that this team desperately needs. Its possible that he would bring assistants from the 49ers on the offensive side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I'd pick Kris Richard as my next head coach. I don't get why he didn't get an interview with the Browns. Did with the Giants...

This dude is going to have to get a restraining order against cal. 

1 hour ago, 7moses7 said:

Robert Saleh from the 49ers is my guess to be the next HC. Ed Dobbs from the Colts to be next GM . If Josh McDaniels was going to be the HC he probably would have been given the job after his interview. Saleh seems to carry a hard nose attitude that this team desperately needs. Its possible that he would bring assistants from the 49ers on the offensive side.

Yeah, I agree. 

If it was going to be McDaniels, IMO, it would have happened by now. (Which means it'll probably come out he's been hired the second I hit SUBMIT REPLY on this thought)

• Haha 1

The more I see & read, the more solidly I'm on the Saleh train.

Mike

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to like the idea of this guy more every day.

While the success at DC is very good - the observation of this guy on the sideline shows me a defense that plays very hard for this guy with a lot of trust behind doing so. 

I think we have some really good candidates, which would be fine if the people doing the hiring had the 1st clue what they're looking for and why.  I think we're about due for some hiring criteria considering we've hired 7 different HCs since 2012....

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The idea of the Browns hiring a guy who most likely comes from a Muslim background, thus blowing the heads of the MAGA crowd, does strike my funny bone as delicious. 

Your funny bone is your head? Out of Stefanski, McDaniels, Swartz and Saleh, the latter has less 'cons' in my opinion. 

McDaniels ans Swartz are great coordinators but we need a head coach. 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Your funny bone is your head? Out of Stefanski, McDaniels, Swartz and Saleh, the latter has less 'cons' in my opinion. 

McDaniels ans Swartz are great coordinators but we need a head coach. 

Saleh has busted his ass getting to the point of being interviewed for head coaching jobs, has worked under some great football minds, has three seasons experience as a coordinator. The guy is super smart too. On the flip side, he's never been a head coach on any level, and at 40 years old, has six children. He's obviously insane. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Saleh has busted his ass getting to the point of being interviewed for head coaching jobs, has worked under some great football minds, has three seasons experience as a coordinator. The guy is super smart too. On the flip side, he's never been a head coach on any level, and at 40 years old, has six children. He's obviously insane. 

I like interviewing a young guy. I don't expect Swartz suddenly becoming Paul Brown, for example. 

But what do you consider more insane, having 6 kids... Or interviewing for a HC position in the Browns? 

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I like interviewing a young guy. I don't expect Swartz suddenly becoming Paul Brown, for example. 

But what do you consider more insane, having 6 kids... Or interviewing for a HC position in the Browns? 

ooh... good question. 

On one hand, six kids will kill your will to live. On the other hand, being the HC of the Browns will kill your will to live and your head coaching career. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The idea of the Browns hiring a guy who most likely comes from a Muslim background

...no wonder his defense terrorizes opposing offenses.

I wouldn't mind a HC from the defensive side of the ball.  At least you know that there will be an OC.

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

ooh... good question. 

On one hand, six kids will kill your will to live. On the other hand, being the HC of the Browns will kill your will to live and your head coaching career. 

6 kids may also make you work your butt off at any given job just to stay away from home as much as possible and 'provide'. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Robert Saleh from the 49ers is my guess to be the next HC. Ed Dobbs from the Colts to be next GM .

Since he's the only one whose team is still playing, then the longer no announcement is made the more traction your guess will gain.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

He won't be hired,  he pronounces his name like he is French:   Ree-shard.   He don't look French.  He probably pronounces the game "futbol" and calls it "footie".   Besides, his name seems to close to Keith Richards.   And, I mean, come on.  Keith Richards as your football coach?

Just now, Ibleedbrown said:

Just got an ESPN alert that Stefanski will be the guy.

Fuck me. 

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So? with 6 kids does that mean he is Catholic and not Muslim?   Or are those 6 kids with his 3-4 wives? 

(Too far?)