THE BROWNS BOARD

RIP Neil Peart (Jan 7)

JAFBF

RUSH was such a huge part of the soundscape of my life.

There are few people in this world, and even fewer musicians that I admire.

Not only for his musical abilities, not only for his command of the English language in both the lyrical and literate realms. More so for the way he carried himself. The grace in which he handled the loss of his wife AND daughter. Having endured one of the two I understand just a sliver of the strength that took. There are few people in this world that I truly admire.. But I admired that man..

RIP Mr Peart. :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is an article from some magazine where he tells about his first time in Amish Country

By NEIL PEART: My best Ohio memory actually occurred on a day off.

It was the Fourth of July, 1984 before a show at the old Richfield Coliseum.

We had played Indianapolis the night before, and after a long bus ride into the pre-dawn hours, we checked into the Holiday Inn in Richfield.
That year I had started getting serious about bicycling, and carried a touring bike with me on the band's bus. I was riding every day, in whatever city we were playing, or into the countryside on days off. An important milestone for a long-distance cyclist is a "century" -- riding 100 miles in a day -- and all that spring and summer I had been building up to that challenge.

I felt ready to go for the big one, and the only psychological obstacle was that I didn't yet know how to fix a flat tire.
That made me nervous about setting off on a bicycle trip in rural Ohio, and long before the days of cell phones.
Not to be discouraged I headed south on Route 94 The weather was sunny and cool, and the countryside was gently rolling farmland, the best conditions for cycling. On such roads traffic is light.
The experience was unforgettable. The country road was pretty and peaceful on that holiday. Flags and bunting decorated the village squares in crossroads towns, and the Amish farmers waved to me from their horse-drawn plows. At the halfway point, in Mount Eaton, I bought a nice little lunch from a general store, devoured it in the local park, then turned north back to Richfield
In more recent years, I have been traveling between shows by motorcycle, and I often design my route to revisit Mount Eaton and the surrounding area. Wonderful that it hasn't changed too terribly much in the past 25 years

Every year I’ve retraced that memorable bicycle ride I took in 1984.
In fact, on the day we filmed the "Time Machine" DVD in Cleveland, I retraced that exact route on my motorcycle, from Hinckley down to Mount Eaton, with my riding partner
Making a ceremonial stop in the park, as I always do when I'm traveling in that area, we continued along the delightful little roads of rural Ohio, through occasional rain showers. The route deliberately touched on some other little places that have "stories" for me, like Winesburg and Beach City

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2