THE BROWNS BOARD

si.com Article: Will the Browns Learn From Previous Mistakes When Hiring a Head Coach?

Tour2ma

Probably a merge candidate lone-term with the It's on Jimmah thread, but I thought it was a really good read and initially deserved a stand alone thread.

Here's the opening paragraphs...

The time is now for Cleveland to invest deeply in a coach in whom the franchise believes. It’s time to let that coach set up a football operation and surround himself with people he can trust. It’s time for owner Jimmy Haslam to not just use the buzzword he kept turning to during his press conference last week, but to actually achieve alignment.

The team’s recent history can provide a guide on what not to do. From Joe Banner, Mike Lombardi and Rob Chudzinski, to Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine, to Sashi Brown, Andrew Berry and Hue Jackson, to John Dorsey and Jackson, then Freddie Kitchens, it’s been arranged marriage after arranged marriage. Over and over again, they’ve sat in those interview rooms, and projected how people would work together.

Often the Browns have kept one person and not another (Paul DePodesta has been the keeper a couple times now), and they’ve been wrong just about every time. Worse, these situations tend to spiral when things go badly because there aren’t strong relationships on which the people involved can fall back.

How has this manifested? In an organization that’s worked in silos. The analytics people, the scouts and the coaches all operated in different areas, and when you-know-what hits the fan, everyone tries to get in ownership’s ear—scouting chiefs trying to get coaches fired, executives texting coaches on the sideline. There have been split decisions on football matters arbitrated, and later assigned for blame. There’s been finger-pointing and back-stabbing in an appeals court of your own unintentional creation.

In a press conference, it’s easy to say the front office is going to get on the same page, but it’s harder to get there once the honeymoon phase wears off and the pressure is really on.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/08/cleveland-browns-head-coach-search-jimmy-haslam-nfl-mailbag

A lot more in the link... including some interesting "Mailbag" Q&A at the bottom on a variety of topics.

• Upvote 4

On 1/8/2020 at 7:00 PM, The Gipper said:

The likely answer is:  No.     But we can always hope.

agreed....here we are again.....probably rooting for some last of the slim pickens of coaches....yelling about oh oh oh, how good he is...he's a disciplinarian and this and that....how he's going to blend in.....i'd be happy if whoever we get, starts to include tackling during the summer camp....that would be like a real good fundamental start...oh wait...they don't care about fundamentals...they just build a roster and hope it all comes together....fundamentals...we don't need no stinkin fundamentals........

I've been VERY impressed by the way we've done this search. No leaks, no drama, and for the people who think we're taking too long...guess again. We started interviewing TWO DAYS after firing Freddie "I don't know what to do" Kitchens. We moved quickly, purposely, and interviewed a fine selection of coaches. My best guess is it will be Stefanski or McDaniels. At first I thought McCarthy was a good fit, but then that actually didn't make sense. From what I read, Stefanski would be a VERY nice hire for many reasons. 

52 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

At first I thought McCarthy was a good fit, but then that actually didn't make sense. From what I read, Stefanski would be a VERY nice hire for many reasons. 

Please elaborate on both of these.

21 hours ago, browns52 said:

agreed....here we are again.....probably rooting for some last of the slim pickens of coaches....yelling about oh oh oh, how good he is...he's a disciplinarian and this and that....how he's going to blend in.....i'd be happy if whoever we get, starts to include tackling during the summer camp....that would be like a real good fundamental start...oh wait...they don't care about fundamentals...they just build a roster and hope it all comes together....fundamentals...we don't need no stinkin fundamentals........

Much of what you would like to see happen (ie. tackling in the summer) is league mandated based on the last CBA. Teams only have so much say on how physical camp will be. Actually, reports from the last camp indicate Freddie ran a tougher camp than most. 

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

... reports from the last camp indicate Freddie ran a tougher camp than most. 

Yup... and players blamed that in part for being worn out for the opener vs. the Titans.

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... and players blamed that in part for being worn out for the opener vs. the Titans.

Did they?  I never heard that report.  Even if they did say that,  my feelings about it are:   Child, please. Don't tell us how rough you had it in training camp and that you were worn out.  Training camps these days are Club Meds compared to times past.  That is just an excuse for poor play.    

While the players played poorly, I do think that Ferd never got them ready for the opener...regardless of how hard he rode them.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:03 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Please elaborate on both of these.

He was largely credited for helping Case Keenum have a decent year, then he was given the keys to the Kirk Cousins offense after his initial debacle with Minnesota. Remember when Cousins signed that gigantic contract and then sucked his first year there? Now that Stefanski is the OC, Cousins is one of the most efficient QBs in the league. He's also been with Minnesota for 14 years in various roles and has survived multiple coaching changes. He fully believes in the analytics part of the game and this will jive with DePodesta. Stefanski damn near got the job last year and hasn't done anything to make himself less worthy. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

He was largely credited for helping Case Keenum have a decent year, then he was given the keys to the Kirk Cousins offense after his initial debacle with Minnesota. Remember when Cousins signed that gigantic contract and then sucked his first year there? Now that Stefanski is the OC, Cousins is one of the most efficient QBs in the league. He's also been with Minnesota for 14 years in various roles and has survived multiple coaching changes. He fully believes in the analytics part of the game and this will jive with DePodesta. Stefanski damn near got the job last year and hasn't done anything to make himself less worthy. 

After all Stef's gotten out of QB after QB... I just don't get all the Kubiak saved the day stuff.

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

After all Stef's gotten out of QB after QB... I just don't get all the Kubiak saved the day stuff.

I do. 

A 92.3 caller was in the Twin Cities last week and listened to their sports radio. Viking fans I guess are openly rooting for Stefanski to get the Browns job, they can't stand him - and this was AFTER the Saints win. They attribute Stefanski's success to Kubiak. 

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

.. and we all know that "fans" are never wrong...

We get it Tour, you love the idea of Stefanski coming in so maybe Andrew Berry comes back so he can team up with DePodesta. 

THE DREAM TEAM THAT BROUGHT US 'THE PROCESS" WILL BE BACK! 😁

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Just marking time until I hear a persuasive argument, Dutch... ;)

Persuasive argument for what? To not hire Stefanski.    There are/were pros and cons on all the candidates.

And if he is hired...then the cons become irrelevant.    But it seems among the slim number of pros, the only one that mattered seems to be:  Depodesta wanted him, and JH decided not to buck the one guy around him now that had any input.  Since there was no GM...no scout etc. involved in the process of choosing the HC, there was only Jimmy, Dee, their son in law, and Depo.   So it seems Depo got to choose. 

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Persuasive argument for what? To not hire Stefanski.    There are/were pros and cons on all the candidates.

And if he is hired...then the cons become irrelevant.    But it seems among the slim number of pros, the only one that mattered seems to be:  Depodesta wanted him, and JH decided not to buck the one guy around him now that had any input.  Since there was no GM...no scout etc. involved in the process of choosing the HC, there was only Jimmy, Dee, their son in law, and Depo.   So it seems Depo got to choose. 

borat.jpg

• Sad 1