Jump to content
Canton Dawg

McDaniels next coach possibly...

Recommended Posts

I’ve said all along we need a LEADER not a position genius, or a great play caller or even a coordinator that has produced results.  

Hopefully this leader surrounds himself with the great play caller, good QB coach and a Def. coordinator with a decent scheme. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I agree with that. And again I'm concerned that no other team showed any interest. Sure he couldn't interview right away with anybody but seems like other teams didn't care to wait. Still I will be in the guy's Corner if he's the choice. There are certainly positives

WSS

You can get that way on leftovers.  What did or didn't everyone else see about this candidate that you all of a sudden see?  

I also think that can come on more after YEARS of searching for a new HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I agree with that. And again I'm concerned that no other team showed any interest. Sure he couldn't interview right away with anybody but seems like other teams didn't care to wait. Still I will be in the guy's Corner if he's the choice. There are certainly positives

WSS

Maybe he didn’t want to interview With some of these other teams.

you hear the question all the time Over the years in Cleveland - why didn’t we interview so and so- well maybe he didn’t want to coach here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Maybe he didn’t want to interview With some of these other teams.

you hear the question all the time Over the years in Cleveland - why didn’t we interview so and so- well maybe he didn’t want to coach here. 

Just because you get offered an interview, doesn't mean you have to interview. 

Rhule  supposedly told the Browns don't bother.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Just because you get offered an interview, doesn't mean you have to interview. 

Rhule  supposedly told the Browns don't bother.... 

Exactly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just because you get offered an interview, doesn't mean you have to interview. 

Rhule  supposedly told the Browns don't bother.... 

Does Rhule even have a winning record? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just because you get offered an interview, doesn't mean you have to interview. 

Rhule  supposedly told the Browns don't bother.... 

Does Rhule even have a winning record? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Does Rhule even have a winning record? 

LOL. at Baylor. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Icecube said:

Does Rhule even have a winning record? 

Never been HC in NFL before.....Good college record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Never been HC in NFL before.....Good college record.

47-43 in college. At Temple, 28-23. At Baylor 19-20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

47-43 in college. At Temple, 28-23. At Baylor 19-20.

Yea, but he was given credit for turning  those programs around from like 1 win teams to league championship contenders in a year or two. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Baylor Bears head coach Matt Rhule watches his team during warm up before facing the Oklahoma Sooners in the Big 12 Championship at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Saturday, December 7, 2019. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

 

I like him, he's all in. 

 

Nevertheless Fuck him.....he now coaches the Carolina Panthers.  (nothing personal, he just is not the Browns coach...so fuck him)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I like him, he's all in. 

His intro presser was good... but paled compared to Joe Judge's.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

His intro presser was good... but paled compared to Joe Judge's.

You obviously have too much time on your hands Tour.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he still here? If he flew home Massachusetts I would think that's an ill omen indeed.

Side note isn't Gary Kubiak already assistant head coach? If so that would mean coming here as offensive coordinator would not even be a lateral move and therefore wouldn't happen.

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just because you get offered an interview, doesn't mean you have to interview. 

Rhule  supposedly told the Browns don't bother.... 

IIRC, Adam Gase did the same thing.

I bet Adam Gase wished the Browns still had him on their radar now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Side note isn't Gary Kubiak already assistant head coach? If so that would mean coming here as offensive coordinator would not even be a lateral move and therefore wouldn't happen.

WSS

Assistant HC/ with combined OC title.... would trump Asst.HC/Offensive adviser...slimmer chance of Kub leaving Soda, if Stefanski goes & Zimmer stays..but if Zimmer breaks threw thin ice with Prez of Minn. football? all bets are off unless Gary decides after 2 offseason's to become Vikes HC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Assistant HC/ with combined OC title.... would trump Asst.HC/Offensive adviser...slimmer chance of Kub leaving Soda, if Stefanski goes & Zimmer stays..but if Zimmer breaks threw thin ice with Prez of Minn. football? all bets are off unless Gary decides after 2 offseason's to become Vikes HC

Starting to sound like the Browns playoff scenario after game 15...

(Just f'cking hire McD.)

 

😏

WSS

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Is he still here? If he flew home Massachusetts I would think that's an ill omen indeed.

Side note isn't Gary Kubiak already assistant head coach? If so that would mean coming here as offensive coordinator would not even be a lateral move and therefore wouldn't happen.

WSS

All coaching moves are considered lateral except if going to head coach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Haslams couldn’t pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently  Belichick somewhat interfered with McDaniels attempt to move up his interview with the Browns....and also the Giants and Panthers.  Those two teams move elsewhere since they could not talk to McD.    Ironically,   BB DID allow and encourage Joe Judge to talk to the Giants, who hired him.

A good question is:  Why?   Does he view McD so valuable to his team that he would want to impede him from going elsewhere because he does not really want to lose him from his staff?  particularly since the Brady issue of staying in NE is up in the air?

Or, is this just BB being a petty scrooge,  wanting to bollix things up for McD?   Maybe McD is the one guy he views as being disloyal if he takes another HC job...though,you would not think so.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-bill-belichick-prevented-josh-mcdaniels-from-moving-up-cleveland-browns-interview/95-b9d17605-f201-4494-b9a8-ebd729a465c6

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

IIRC, Adam Gase did the same thing.

I bet Adam Gase wished the Browns still had him on their radar now.

Weird-eyes Gase. 

Image result for weird eyes adam gase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, but he was given credit for turning  those programs around from like 1 win teams to league championship contenders in a year or two. 

Sure, depending on the definition of "turn around." 

His best season was 3 losses (1 time at Temple, this year at Baylor). And he never won a bowl game.

This year, I don't see an impressive win. There are a couple games that look on the surface at Temple are major wins, such as a win over Penn State (who finished (7-6), but in his 7 years as a head coach he had 2 wins over ranked teams (according to Wikipedia, don't know if the ranking is ending rank or at time of game.

I can give him some credit for Temple, but Baylor was really only down because of their scandal. 

As a coach, I am just not all that impressed. The way he is talked about is like Urban for turning a program into a perennial power. He hasn't stayed somewhere long enough to prove he has turned it around.

As for "sounding good" in press conference, I remember hearing the same things about Hue and Freddie. Another guy who is supposedly great at the mic is Lane Kiffin. 

I wish the man the best, I don't root for anyone to fail, but I think at this moment he has been vastly overrated. Even if I understand the thinking behind it, l lost some respect for him to decline an interview (and no not because it's the Browns). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gunz41 said:

Sure, depending on the definition of "turn around." 

His best season was 3 losses (1 time at Temple, this year at Baylor). And he never won a bowl game.

This year, I don't see an impressive win. There are a couple games that look on the surface at Temple are major wins, such as a win over Penn State (who finished (7-6), but in his 7 years as a head coach he had 2 wins over ranked teams (according to Wikipedia, don't know if the ranking is ending rank or at time of game.

I can give him some credit for Temple, but Baylor was really only down because of their scandal. 

As a coach, I am just not all that impressed. The way he is talked about is like Urban for turning a program into a perennial power. He hasn't stayed somewhere long enough to prove he has turned it around.

As for "sounding good" in press conference, I remember hearing the same things about Hue and Freddie. Another guy who is supposedly great at the mic is Lane Kiffin. 

I wish the man the best, I don't root for anyone to fail, but I think at this moment he has been vastly overrated. Even if I understand the thinking behind it, l lost some respect for him to decline an interview (and no not because it's the Browns). 

OK,  Fair enough.  I am not tooting his horn.   But, apparently a couple of NFL teams were drooling over him,  as we see the Panthers locked him up before the Giants could even get a chance to speak to him, but by all reports, as I said, they were salivating over him.  I think it is fair to ask why he was such a hot item....over even  a lot of the guys the Browns have interviewed.  A lot of the college media were singing his praises, saying that he brought Baylor back from the brink of oblivion after the issues there with a previous coach.  Maybe that is what did it for the NFL team. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hoorta said:

You obviously have too much time on your hands Tour.  :)  

lol... just happened to catch both pressers on NFL Live, h, while I was reading and posting here... a/k/a "multitasking"...

Rhule presser caught my ear, but the Judge one made me stop and give it my full attention.

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

All coaching moves are considered lateral except if going to head coach.  

ummmm... don't think so, bp... Position coaches have to be allowed to interview for Coordinator positions

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×