THE BROWNS BOARD

McDaniels next coach possibly...

Canton Dawg

Happy Birthday to Gipper and Nickers! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Rightfully so because the older and slower Brady would be in danger of being crippled behind our POS offensive line at any second.

Nah.... analytics dictate that we improve our OL

Something the "football guy" obviously did not get.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Yea, I wonder, did he not get that  (I can't believe that he was that obtuse...being a football guy)......or could he just not do what it takes to improve that OL. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Okay call me when it happens. But are you going on record with the 'we are just a quarterback away from the Super Bowl' bit? 😏 Maybe we can put Francisco Lindor on the line...

WSS

On 1/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, The Gipper said:

Don't swallow that mush.  While it may be true that McD does not become our coach, I think it would likely be because the Browns decide to choose someone else. not him.

I mean,  I think if he does not want the job then he should just say no thank you to even doing the interview.  But let's say he does interview and is offered the job and turns it down.  What would any future team think about putting his name in their hat?   I don't think they would.    I think he would have to there and then make the decision that he is going to be a lifelong asst. coach....OC, and never a HC again.   At least, that is my view. 

hire schwartz as the hc and mcdaniels as the oc and we might just get it right for once....thats about the best combo left....i may just change my mind on this team for once....oooops dang it....we still have hasshit as our owner...crap....

56 minutes ago, browns52 said:

hire schwartz as the hc and mcdaniels as the oc and we might just get it right for once....thats about the best combo left....i may just change my mind on this team for once....oooops dang it....we still have hasshit as our owner...crap....

Why would McD make a lateral title move only to go from New England to Cleveland....?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Also "How would..."

Depends on his contract situation.  Which I know nothing of.  If his contract with the Pats has ended, I suspect he would be free to go wherever he wants, fair to say?   Even a lateral move.  What is his contract situation?......

after some research, I see that he IS tied up with them for some years as an OC:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000959256/article/patriots-kept-oc-josh-mcdaniels-with-5year-deal

So, no lateral move would be allowed, unless the Pats let him go. 

48 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Speaking of Josh is anybody slightly concerned that no other team even interviewed him? At least to my knowledge.

And how much farther up the food chain is Stefanski from Freddy?

Yes... crossed my mind as well.

No... 'Ski hasn't been RB Coach since 2016! ;) ... OK... now that you mention it...

Kidding above... that Depo saw a difference last year gives me comfort. He thought Stef was ready then and Freddie was not...

.... and I think we know now that Dorsey agreed albeit for completely different reasons chose the lesser candidate.

Then again there is the whole Polack thing... PARMA!

• Upvote 1

Interesting notes on the Panthers' owners quick decision to sign Rhule despite McDaniels reportedly being his top choice.

==============================================================================================================================

Report: Josh McDaniels preferred Browns job over Panthers and Giants openings

According to WEEI's Courtney Fallon, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels entered the offseason with the Browns' opening as his top choice

Author: Ben Axelrod
Published: 9:38 PM EST January 8, 2020
Updated: 9:53 PM EST January 8, 2020

On Tuesday, the Carolina Panthers shocked the football world when they hired Baylor coach Matt Rhule despite having an interview scheduled for later in the day with Josh McDaniels.

According to WEEI's Courtney Fallon, there's a reason why the Panthers never got around to their meeting with the New England Patriots offensive coordinator.

Elaborating on a tweet that claimed there was a "50/50 chance" that McDaniels remains in New England, Fallon explained that if the McDaniels doesn't wind up in Cleveland, it won't be because he didn't want the job. In fact, per Fallon, the Canton native entered the offseason with the Browns' head coaching job as his top choice -- and it was that information that caused Panthers owner David Tepper to act quickly on hiring Rhule.

"What I've been told is Josh McDaniels was David Tepper's No. 1 head coaching choice hands down for the Carolina Panthers. The Carolina Panthers were not Josh McDaniels' No. 1 choice. They weren't even his No. 2 choice," Fallon said on her podcast, The Courtney Fallon Experience. "Cleveland was his No. 1 choice. He was comfortable with Cleveland, he was comfortable with the Patriots. I'm not sure where the lines got crossed here that David Tepper found out that Josh wanted Cleveland."

Despite Fallon's report, there's no guarantee that McDaniels will land in Cleveland or that the Browns will even offer the John Carroll graduate the job. It does, however, quell speculation that McDaniels would be skeptical of coaching the Browns due to the unstable nature of the franchise under owner Jimmy Haslam.

It's also worth noting that McDaniels has competition for Cleveland's head coaching job, which is the only one still open in the NFL. On Wednesday, Cleveland interviewed Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz for its head-coaching vacancy and an interview with Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski is scheduled for Thursday.

McDaniels, meanwhile, will reportedly interview for the Browns' job on Friday, with a decision on who will succeed Freddie Kitchens in Cleveland expected not long after that.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-josh-mcdaniels-preferred-browns-job-over-panthers-and-giants-openings/95-e90c2ea3-bd80-4744-ac87-f34d1c93fc22

==============================================================================================================================

Also left me wondering about what if we hire McD and Bill retires in a year or two... worst case might be we get a Patriot draft pick or two.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Speaking of Josh is anybody slightly concerned that no other team even interviewed him? At least to my knowledge. And how much farther up the food chain is Stefanski from Freddy?

WSS

Well, he was tied up until Monday....so in reality, after he was free to interview,  two teams had already had their man:  Redskins and Cowboys.  Then the Panthers jumped on  Rhule like he was the second coming.  I get it...maybe.  He did a great job of turning around Temple and Baylor, but, hey, those were college programs in like the American Athletic Conf. and the Big 12.   Those aren't the NFL.   And the Giants?  I put that down to just Gettleman being an absolute whacko.  He thinks he is the second coming of AL Davis....who liked to pull of completely off the wall shit in his coaching hires and draft picks. 

With Stefanski, I think you make a point.  He has one year as an OC:

• Penn (2005)
    Assistant director of football operations
  • Minnesota Vikings (2006–2008)
    Assistant to the head coach
  • Minnesota Vikings (2009–2013)
    Assistant quarterbacks coach
  • Minnesota Vikings (2014–2015)
    Tight ends coach
  • Minnesota Vikings (2016)
    Running backs coach
  • Minnesota Vikings (2017–2018)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • Minnesota Vikings (2018)
    Interim offensive coordinator
  • Minnesota Vikings (2019–present)
    Offensive coordinator

Compare to Kitchens experience, prior to becoming Browns HC:

24 minutes ago, Orion said:

The Visor wants to be our coach eh?  

Perhaps McDaniels should start wearing a full hat during training camp.....the summer sun has obviously baked his brain.

Yea, I am not a big fan of the visor look.  I have one in my closet and never wear it.  I wouldn't even want to wear one on a golf course.

Article from the Canton Repository... very interesting take on the angle of what McD will do in his interview tomorrow and a decent read.

Link to full article follows Headline plus the opening thru one boldfaced tidbit that I think may be determinative for McD becoming our next HC. If McD can split the hair that is that tidbit, then I think he has grown since his debacle in Denver and can be our new HC.

================================================================================================================

Steve Doerschuk: Expect Josh McDaniels to recommend sweeping Browns makeover

Browns beat writer Steve Doerschuk expects Josh McDaniels to gauge Jimmy Haslam’s appetite for big operational changes when he interviews with the Browns on Friday.

If one knows Josh McDaniels and his story reasonably well, one can begin to imagine how key points of his interview with the Browns might play out Friday.

This version comes from someone who has met face-to-face with McDaniels at all nine of his Super Bowls (he and Tom Brady are the only Patriots to work for Bill Belichick in every one). These Super Bowl visits began not terribly long after we knew McDaniels as a top-of-the-class student at Canton McKinley who navigated the tricky business of quarterbacking a high-profile team piloted by his dad.

Friday’s interview is the last one scheduled in the Browns’ head coaching search. McDaniels will be assessing the Browns as intently as they are studying him. One imagines an undertone of respect from both sides as they gauge each other’s appetite for brutal honesty.

They could be perfect for each other.

McDaniels will be accompanied by his wife, with whom he will discuss an offer if one comes. He will be prepared to make a quick decision, including to move on, if his clear vision of what the Browns need meets a lukewarm reception early in the day.

McDaniels will present firm requirements, taking care that they do not come off as demands.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20200109/steve-doerschuk-expect-josh-mcdaniels-to-recommend-sweeping-browns-makeover

=========================================================================================================================

16 minutes ago, Orion said:

...that's his opinion...but...it's opinion...

It's a matter of how much Jimmuh HAS TO have him.

Actually it's not Doerschuk's opinion... it's the opinion of "someone who has met face-to-face with McDaniels at all nine of his Super Bowls (he and Tom Brady are the only Patriots to work for Bill Belichick in every one)." And that kind of proximity should mean it is a fairly well-informed one.

At any rate now CBS Sports has picked up the story...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-mcdaniels-wanted-browns-job-in-2019-likely-to-propose-realignment-of-team-leadership-per-report/

1 hour ago, Orion said:

...that's his opinion...but...it's opinion...

It's a matter of how much Jimmuh HAS TO have him.

Meh. I always figured McDaniels and Jimmy hashed this out like week 15 of the season, Jimmy agreed and told Dorsey and he packed up his stuff and left... the rest of these “interviews” have been a dog and pony show...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hx214 said:

Meh. I always figured McDaniels and Jimmy hashed this out like week 15 of the season, Jimmy agreed and told Dorsey and he packed up his stuff and left... the rest of these “interviews” have been a dog and pony show...

I had this same feeling as well. That Dorsey was leaving because Jimmy already had his coach and wanted more control. 

4 hours ago, darren15 said:

If McDaniels does get the job the first thing he needs to do is hire Tim Tebow to coach Baker on how not to be an NFL QB ....

I'd have to think that most quarterbacks drafted in the first round failed to live up to expectations.

But that aside one concern I have about McDaniels is that I heard Terry Pluto on the radio this morning he doesn't seem very enthusiastic at all. And I usually respect his opinions.

WSS

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I'd have to think that most quarterbacks drafted in the first round failed to live up to expectations.

But that aside one concern I have about McDaniels is that I heard Terry Pluto on the radio this morning he doesn't seem very enthusiastic at all. And I usually respect his opinions.

WSS

I didn't get to hear that, could you elaborate more please?

25 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually he was on the radio has eyes driving over to get blood drawn I didn't hear or record the whole thing he just sounded very lukewarm about Josh. Seems like he preferred Eric bieniemy. 

WSS

I'm lukewarm on him too, if he's hired let's hope he's learnt enough since his last stint as HC to make us a winner.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

I'm lukewarm on him too, if he's hired let's hope he's learnt enough since his last stint as HC to make us a winner.

I agree with that. And again I'm concerned that no other team showed any interest. Sure he couldn't interview right away with anybody but seems like other teams didn't care to wait. Still I will be in the guy's Corner if he's the choice. There are certainly positives

WSS