THE BROWNS BOARD

McDaniels next coach possibly...

Canton Dawg

The Browns’ courtship of New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is back on.

In the aftermath of firing Freddie Kitchens on Sunday, the team requested permission to interview McDaniels for its head coaching vacancy, a person familiar with the situation confirmed Monday for the Beacon Journal.

By rule, the interview cannot take place until after the Patriots host the Tennessee Titans for a wild-card playoff game at 8:15 p.m. Saturday.

Despite McDaniels being interested in the Browns’ opening last year, they didn’t interview him. He interviewed with the Green Bay Packers, who hired Matt LaFleur.

“I have had no contact with them,” McDaniels said Jan. 8 of the Browns.

Browns General Manager John Dorsey led the coaching search that ended with the hiring of Kitchens, who went 6-10 in his only season on the job.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Dorsey’s job security is fluid because the new head coach of the Browns is expected to have input on whether the GM is retained or fired.

Dorsey was asked on Jan. 14 why the Browns didn’t hire McDaniels.

“Did [McDaniels] make the final list? No, he didn’t make the final list, but we’re making a decision that is best for the organization moving forward,” Dorsey said after the Browns hired Kitchens.

The inclusion of McDaniels, a Canton McKinley High School graduate, this time around points to Dorsey likely not having as much authority in this coaching search as he did in the last one. The Browns have yet to explain their process for this search, but Dorsey is expected to address media Tuesday.

Some national reporters have speculated Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta will have more power. He reportedly wanted to hire Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski instead of Kitchens. Those two became the finalists for the job with Dorsey’s choice prevailing in Kitchens.

There is indeed a divide between the scouting side of the front office, which includes Dorsey, assistant GM Eliot Wolf and vice president of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith, and the research, data and analytics side led by DePodesta, a person familiar with the arrangement said.

Jimmy Haslam is a McDaniels fan. McDaniels interviewed with the Browns owner in 2014 during the coaching search that resulted in the hiring of Mike Pettine. But McDaniels withdrew himself from consideration because he decided the time wasn’t right to leave the Patriots.

McDaniels, 43, has been at the side of coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady for nine Super Bowls, six of which the Patriots won.

McDaniels went 11-17 as the head coach of the Denver Broncos from 2009-10. He began his tenure 6-0 but was fired after Week 13 of the 2010 season, losing 17 of his last 22 games.

Two years ago, McDaniels backed out of an agreement to become the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts, whose GM, Chris Ballard, is a friend of Dorsey and worked with him in the front office of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Asked whether McDaniels bailing on the Colts precluded the Browns from interviewing him in the last coaching search, Dorsey said, “Absolutely not.”

ESPN reported Washington plans to hire former Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera, so it appears he won’t be a possibility for the Browns.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20191230/browns-request-permission-to-interview-patriots-oc-josh-mcdaniels-for-head-coaching-vacancy

Losing 17 of the last 22 in Denver as HC is no sin really. This was a team that only had Champ Bailey as a decent player. Miller was drafted the following year and Manning showed up  a year later while the team added far greater talent to make Superbowl runs. McDaniels had crappy players to work with there. That would not be the case in Cleveland when the OL gets fixed.

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why?

Nick Caserio, McDaniels teammate at John Carroll and current Patriots Player Personnel Director, could be a package deal with McDaniels. 

This is at least the third time the Haslams have wanted to interview McDaniels. 

If he says yes, I have a strong feeling it will come with demands from the Haslams. 

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Nick Caserio, McDaniels teammate at John Carroll and current Patriots Player Personnel Director, could be a package deal with McDaniels. 

This is at least the third time the Haslams have wanted to interview McDaniels. 

If he says yes, I have a strong feeling it will come with demands from the Haslams. 

Interesting.

Lol...i searched Browns News in google...

First headline...if Browns could get Mcdaniel and Brady...lol

Once again...Browns are a golden parachute for aging vets who want to cash in hahahaha

23 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Lol...i searched Browns News in google...

First headline...if Browns could get Mcdaniel and Brady...lol

Once again...Browns are a golden parachute for aging vets who want to cash in hahahaha

Baker from the top of world doing progressive commercials to holding Toms towel.

Media dream scenario brewing there 

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Huh?

Still have coaches scheduled to be interviewed.

True enough  Tour. But let's not  get too  cute about it.  With Depodesta running the  coaching  search I'm  getting  the  sinking  feeling of paralysis by over analysis.  :(

Schwartz had his chance  in Detroit,  I'd far prefer  Garrett over him. And if McDaniels  wants a ton of control,  I'll  put my money on  Stefanski  being  the new HC. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Wade Phillips as D Coordinator May save it for me. 

... Won't save it for me, but I know I wouldn't just tune out completely for the next 3 years.

Another thought - Stefanski ONLY if Kubiak as OC is packaged in.  Then get me some Wade Phillips.

• Upvote 2